• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
US is really screwing over the UK this month. First they whisk a driver who killed a kid out of the UK to the safety of the US. Now they're arresting tourists for a simple mistake. Sadly, it's not the first time this has happened either. They could have easily pointed them in the right direction, instead they were all "nope, let's jail your ass and then ship you to the other side of the country."

To top it off, they denied the family consular access.

UK peeps, your gov really needs to get on Trump's ass and tell him to stop that shit.

The baby boy has been subjected to frigid and filthy conditions, developing blotchy skin and what seems to be an eye infection, his mother wrote in a sworn statement. At one point the child was left naked and exposed for several hours in the cold jail, after all his clothes and blankets were taken for washing, she said.

The couple, David Connors, 30, and Eileen Connors, 24, says they were denied the right to contact their embassy.

In her statement, Connors said that on Oct. 3 her family was visiting Vancouver, Canada, and did not intend to enter the U.S. Her husband's cousin, Michael Connors, was driving close to the border, and when an animal suddenly appeared in the lane, he turned onto an unmarked road to avoid a collision.

In moments, multiple police cars and Border Patrol agents appeared.

David and Michael Connors were immediately arrested, she said, despite their protestations of innocence.

"You crossed an international border," the officer told them.

The first night in custody, near the border with Canada, David was taken to a males-only cell, while she and the baby were placed in a women's cell. Both were given thin, metallic-looking emergency blankets, and left to sleep on the floor, she wrote.

She put the baby on top of her, to try to keep him warm, but he kept sliding off. "The memory of our little baby having to sleep on a dirty floor of a cell will haunt us forever," Eileen Connors wrote.

They were taken to a new detention center, where her husband was led from the van to what he later described as a freezing cell. She and the baby, Connors wrote, were taken to a hotel, a Red Roof Inn in Seattle. She had nowhere to boil water for her baby, relying on a microwave.

The next day, the family was taken to the Seattle airport

Instead, she wrote, the family was flown across the United States to Pennsylvania. They arrived at the Berks center on Oct. 5.

All her child's clothes and blankets were taken for washing, even new items, she said, and the center had no clothes small enough to fit. She tried to wash the child as best she could while sitting on a sofa, because the baby bathtub that was offered was filthy, she wrote.

"When I ask how am I supposed to keep my baby warm in this horrible cold, all they tell me is to put a hat on him. … They even took away one of his formula containers, which I had to beg for three days for them to return it to me."

The blankets and sheets she was given smelled "like a dead dog," Connors wrote, and she couldn't use them to wrap her boy "for fear they haven't been washed and my baby will become sick."

The bathrooms are dirty and broken, she said.

Source:

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus christ. America sure is so much safer because these criminals were prevented from momentarily crossing an unmarked border /s.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
If we elect a dem president the first thing they need to do is abolish ICE, goddammit

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
sounds like america.

Can't wait for everyone involved with ICE gets completely fucked

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
seems like parts of the story are missing. Animal in the road, they swerved down a side road (convenient placing I guess) but then they just kept driving down it? Was the border fence like 10 feet down this road and they barreled through it?

edit: looks like there's a road called 0 ave that actually does run like 10 feet away from the border, parrallel to it.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
seems like parts of the story are missing. Animal in the road, they swerved down a side road (convenient placing I guess) but then they just kept driving down it? Was the border fence like 10 feet down this road and they barreled through it?
What article are you reading? They didn't drive through any border fence...

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck ICE.

But also if only there were some kind of larger regional...alliance?...of which the U.K. could join to put pressure on the US to right this wrong.

If only that existed.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

edit: looks like there's a road called 0 ave that actually does run like 10 feet away from the border, parrallel to it.

Yeah, it's stupid, I mean, look at this : https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.0021...j7RcY1mBJTPzJ-gF3Njw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=fr
One side of the road is Canada, the other is the USA.

Story is still terrible, but I guess when they made those roads, they didn't expect ICE to be this heartless for people accidently crossing borders.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit. I guess there's no fence along the northern border at all. Lived in AZ so long that I just assumed there was even though at some point I knew there wasnt.
Yeah if you look on Google maps, theres literally a road along the border on the Canadian side, with zero fencing or anything indicating its a border.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeaaaaah, I'm not stepping into the US anytime soon. I think we should spend some infrastructure cash on a big wall across the can/us border to protect Canadians and visitors from ICE

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
They do have a really weird explanation of how they ended up in the US.

Not that it excuses the treatment, but I don't know if I buy their story.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The UK government won't put pressure. Once we are out of the EU it will need those trade deals ASAP therefore Boris Johnson will be too busy sucking up to condemn anything American.

OP
OP
Syriel

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Yeah, there's no fence along the US/Canada border along much of Washington. Hell, part of Washington is on a peninsula that is completely detached from the US and only land accessible by driving through Canada.

They do have a really weird explanation of how they ended up in the US.

Not that it excuses the treatment, but I don't know if I buy their story.

Similar stories have happened before. The last I read about was near the beach by the Peace Arch.

For reference, this is an image of the border near the West Coast. The homes are on the Canadian side. The park is on the US side.

Magni

Yeah, there's no fence along the US/Canada border along much of Washington. Hell, part of Washington is on a peninsula that is completely detached from the US and only land accessible by driving through Canada.

Similar stories have happened before. The last I read about was near the beach by the Peace Arch.

For reference, this is an image of the border near the West Coast. The homes are on the Canadian side. The park is on the US side.

Those Canadians must understand what it feels like for Sarah Palin, being able to see an oppressive country from their own yard.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
I hope all of these people including the drones in accounting get what's coming to them. Cartoonishly evil organization

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Abolish ICE

They need more money for what? Fly people all over the US for a wrong turn out of Canada and keep them in shitty ass conditions for the mental torture?

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
They did this shit to a French woman visiting her mother last year as well.

A visitor from France says she was jogging along the beach south of White Rock, B.C., when she crossed the U.S. border without realizing it. So began a two-week nightmare that landed her in a prison jumpsuit.

Cedella Roman, 19, didn't know it at the time, but as she ran southeast along the beach on the evening of May 21, she crossed a municipal boundary — and, shortly after, an international border.

Fucking lunatics.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I looked at the map before I posted.

It's right beside the US, but if you'll notice there are no roads, marked or unmarked, that go into the US, besides the ones that you have to go through border patrol to cross.

they turned on a road without any border crossing. I followed the map just now and there are a few spots that look like old roads/paths

Last edited:

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
that road is actually split. One side of the double yellow line is the US, the other side is Canada.

It's not actually. The road is entirely in Canada.

Zoom out a little bit.

I looked a pretty good distance both ways and this is the absolute closest you can get to an "unmarked road" on the US side.

Getting to that road would tear up your car as much as hitting most animals.