• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bigbaldwolf86

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People wanted a huge open world stunner to show off their new console.

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Don't know anyone other than myself who bought physical. All my friends bought it on the store. ACV deserves it.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Valhalla does take place in Britain so I can imagine interest in it is slightly higher in the UK compared to other Ass Creed games.

Resistance100

Jan 13, 2018
Can imagine it being Xbox's biggest game earlier in the week and people holding off for the PS5 version next week playing a fairly big part. Still would have to be big numbers mind

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
The hype for Valhalla was massive this year. I still think COD will definitely outsell it (it had less days), but still very impressive

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
Idk the digital sales but from what I noticed, alot of players wanted MW to be continued for another year instead of a new game because many liked the approach IW did and I also would have liked that idea.
So Im not going to get Cold War because I still am more than statisfied with MW.

That said Cold War, from what I have seen, still is a step backwards on the technical side of things. Looks dated when it comes to visuals and animations. Just my opinion.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Anecdotal, but all of my friends who were obsessed with MW have no intention of getting the new black ops. Sounds like they're just gonna keep playing warzone instead

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Wait till the digital sales, lot of people are waiting for the new consoles..

rare

Oct 25, 2017
AC had more time to sell than COD, but still is very surprising nonetheless.
COD fatigue might be finally hitting since it's yearly + warzone and MW still being popular.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if the next-gen pricing shenanigans had anything to do with it? But then again I'd presume next-gen buyers would make up a tiny portion of total sales.

The PS5 also isn't out until next week here either. People may be waiting for that?

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I imagine its because nobody is buying it because they are waiting for next gen consoles which don't release here in the UK until the 19th

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would imagine with the sheer size of MW patches everyone is just accepting reality and buying it digitally. My CoD group went from 3x physical 1x digital to all digi this time.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
CoD owners waiting for PS5 I'd imagine causing a fair chunk of sales maybe.

I think it's caused by a lot of things

1. People love to play Warzone
  2. MW is still getting supported
  3. Digital is not factored here
  4. PS5 launch next-week
But still, it's impressive to see Valhalla doing better physically and even here the PS5 SKU is missing

VHStape

Sep 25, 2020
Cold Wars beta was just such a let down, for me, that I wont buy it. It's a series that has been stale for years. They changed it up with MW2019 and it was great, and now they went back to the stale COD, old engine, old style, just boring.

Not only am I not surprised by this, but I'm also really glad. Activision shouldn't be rewarded for pushing out half baked games. The game was rushed, everyone knows it, it's not like its a secret or anything. Treyarch took over Sledgehammer and had less time to develop it.

Tratorn

Oct 25, 2017
Besides digital is not counted, the main reason probably is that AC Valhalla is marketed as one of the pillar games of Series X while CoD is marketed for PS5. And since the XSX had a great start in UK while the PS5 is not available yet, AC had the greater Next Gen boost. We'll see next week I guess if that is right.

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
What??? Odyessy opened with 75k while MW did over 300k. No way Valhalla sold close to that. Prepare for a huge decline for CoD retail sales.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Deservedly so. That beta was so fun yet they shat the entire bed in this release.

Absolute trash, miss me if you like it.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
Modern warfare's standard mp was so shite it'll be a while(if ever) I get duped into picking up a cod again. Good to see Valhalla doing well, it's a great game so far, great enough to paper over a significant number of bugs/issues with it.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
Feels like Ubisoft spent a shit ton on marketing this year. Xbox & AC were basically synonymous with each other.

Whereas COD felt more or less the same and was really only marketed in like August.

Oct 25, 2017
Probably didn't help that you couldn't preorder it on Amazon. I know people oversell the portion of the market Amazon takes up, but with physical stores closed in England I imagine they would have made up a larger chunk than normal.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I think that there are two big factors here.

My anecdotal view (as a fellow Brit) is that, every year, COD sells an absolute SHITLOAD from being positioned front and centre in supermarkets and other stores not typical reserved for games. And I don't mean 'it's available in supermarkets', I mean having specific COD displays at the front entrance or at the tills. Crash Bandicoot Trilogy had the same treatment. They become 'ooh there's a new one of those out, chuck it in the basket' items rather than an item for 'gamers' and it universally results in massive sales. As I said, remember Crash Trilogy in the UK.

COD is being positioned like this (I've seen it in supermarket displays at the tills today) but UK retail is also in a weird place at the moment. We're in the middle of a second lockdown. Any shops not selling essentials (food, medicines etc) are closed by law. There is far less footfall for physical retail in places that would sell games.

Also, Valhalla is really good and was definitely heavily attached to a new console launch. Remember that COD didn't come out until the end of the week when all Xboxes were already sold out. It's fair to say that Valhalla must've picked up a lot of sales from Series X/S buyers picking it up as their day one game.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
tumblr_inline_po0eqokIju1qd9c5g_540.gif

I know its still doing great everywhere and its just physical UK numbers but i just couldnt resist