• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Are brands like Yorkshire and PG Tips and whatever actually that much better than other cheapish bagged black tea or what 🤔

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I used to drink lots of tea and there is noticeable differences IMO but I can't remember which one I liked most. It's down to personal taste really, try them all and decide

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really drink non herbal tea these days but yeah they're a fair bit better. Know a proper (stingy) Yorkshire bloke who won't drink anything cheap and gets through tons of teabags.

Oct 27, 2017
There's not that much of a difference between brands. All tea bags are kind of bad though, and the convenience (and low price) is why people buy them. Loose-leaf tea is a class apart.

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
It's like most things, shops own brand versions are usually inferior quality.

You also have regional differences as well for instance Scottish tap water generally isn't as hard English.

Last edited:

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
I've drank Yorkshire Tea bags for almost 20 years now and I really notice the taste difference. I really can't fuck with PG Tips or Tetley bags.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I've drank Yorkshire Tea bags for almost 20 years now and I really notice the taste difference. I really can't fuck with PG Tips or Tetley bags.

Tetley used to be alright a long time ago, not sure what happened(they got bought out around the same time) but it almost became undrinkable overnight, Yorkshire tea is just a reliable decent cup and what i stick with now.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
im not from the UK but every time i think of tea i just hear karl pilkington in my head saying "twinings english breakfast"

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Tetley used to be alright a long time ago, not sure what happened(they got bought out around the same time) but it almost became undrinkable overnight, Yorkshire tea is just a reliable decent cup and what i stick with now.

Both of you just stole all my posts so I'll just quote you to agree. :D

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire is all I can drink these days. Extra strong PG is ok but still not the same.

Tetely is piss

Azraes

Oct 28, 2017
London
Tea bags are rubbish in general. Loose leaf tea is better but in general tea tastes like the soil where it was cultivated. A lot of flavour quite literally comes from the 'dirt' where its grown. There wouldn't be a world of difference between brands if they all come from the same location genuinely.. There's some refining and process but this is how it is.

I used to do work for a few different tea manufacturers and knew some tea brewers and roastmasters (coffee) during the time.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Nah people love PG Tips and Yorkshire Tea because it's like comfort food tea. Like saying Cadbury's or Galaxy are so much better than Hershey's: yes it's true, but it doesn't mean it's high quality or anything.

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a Yorkshire Tea dealer to my foreign friends. Get the good (for bagged) stuff.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Tea bags are rubbish in general. Loose leaf tea is better but in general tea tastes like the soil where it was cultivated. A lot of flavour quite literally comes from the 'dirt' where its grown. There wouldn't be a world of difference between brands if they all come from the same location genuinely.. There's some refining and process but this is how it is.

I used to do work for a few different tea manufacturers and knew some tea brewers and roastmasters (coffee) during the time.
I know loose leaf is tiers above but just wondering about these bagged brands because they get so much praise despite still being priced really low. "can 4 dollars for 80 cups really be that much better than the absolute worst?"

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I go with PG Tips just because I got used to the taste. I started drinking black tea by pure accident over a decade ago, and no turning back after that, I just really liked it. :)

Oct 30, 2017
Either Yorkshire Tea (Gold or normal) or (weirdly) Tesco Finest English Breakfast (usually supermarket ones are a bit insipid). Everything else - especially the posh ones with the more plasticy bags like teapigs/clipper or whatever, can get in the fucking sea.

We'll have a pot with loose leaf on the weekend (Typhoo loose leaf is actually ok, not as good as Yorkshire though) but it's just too much palavour when working.

Azraes

Oct 28, 2017
London
I know loose leaf is tiers above but just wondering about these bagged brands because they get so much praise despite still being priced really low. "can 4 dollars for 80 cups really be that much better than the absolute worst?"

I used to support wholesalers who brought in food supplies into the UK. The major difference between store brands, and 'brand brands' is quality control. Often the source for grains, tea, etc are all the same but 'brands' have greater quality control so there's fewer recalls and they also tend to package things better so you won't find metal, rubber, etc in your food products. Store-brands are cheaper because quality control is done cheaper. For instance in the packaging areas they might not replace a rubber something and you might find it in your food or they don't do enough metal detection, etc. Of course there are poor brands but the price you pay is usually for better quality control when it comes to food manufacturing.

Bazza

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest I think most black teas are pretty awful in comparison to other types, I used to drink PG tips then moved onto earl grey's when I was a black tea drinker. Now I buy loose green, yellow or white teas. Though it wasn't a cause of the switch, I read an article (a couple of years ago now mind you) that with a few exceptions the majority of teabags sold contained quite a bit of plastic that is not recyclable or biodegradable which is something to think about when buying your tea.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'll fight everyone

0_Lyonsjpeg.jpg

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Are brands like Yorkshire and PG Tips and whatever actually that much better than other cheapish bagged black tea or what 🤔
Nope, pretty much all bagged tea in the UK is just powered wank, but with slightly different strengths and flavours so some people develop a preference. Anyone trying to pretend one is "better" than another really doesn't understand just how poor quality British tea is.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
I'm traditionally a coffee drinker but when I drink tea, it's always Yorkshire tea.

Nope, pretty much all bagged tea in the UK is just powered wank, but with slightly different strengths and flavours so some people develop a preference. Anyone trying to pretend one is "better" than another really doesn't understand just how poor quality British tea is.
Who pissed in your cuppa this morning m8?

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
There is a difference. When I was younger Ibused to drink red label sainsbury's tea, but it seemed to be getting weaker over the years so I jumped ship to some "higher" brand teabags and it was much better.

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
I hope those saying a particular tea bag brand is better than another are not putting milk and sugar in it.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
Despite what I said earlier, I think how it's brewed makes more of a difference to flavour. If someone hands me a cuppa they've just brewed in a mug, I'll drink it out of politeness but it tastes fucking awful compared to tea brewed in a teapot.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Not necessarily. It's mostly a matter of taste, but some store brands are better than some "premium".

Really, it's all about your ability to brew a good cup of tea, which can be done with mostly any of them.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Yorkshire Gold or Twinings English Breakfast for teabags, but as plenty of people have pointed out, loose leaf is preferable. And yes, I put a splash of milk in - even in Earl Grey, although sometimes I'll have lemon instead. Depends on my mood.

To be honest, I don't actually drink a lot of tea these days. I've always preferred coffee. When I do make it, I like to make a pot rather than a single cup. That's a ritual I enjoy.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I can drink any of the big brands (Yorkshire Tea, PG Tips etc) without issue but cheap tea just isn't very good.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Brands like PG Tips, Yorkshire and Tetley are bog standard to me, but they are a smoother drink than store own which can sometimes be peppery and harsh. Of the mainstread brands Yorkshire is probably the best - Tetley is weak as piss. If you want to pay a few pence more Twinings are always better. Loose leaf > bags always for flavour, but tea bags are just convenient.

I don't use any milk in tea for about a year or two now, but always preferred a strong tea with just a splash of milk any way.

Mr. Virus

Oct 27, 2017
Twining's and Teapigs are a little pricier than others but worth it for general teabags you can buy in like, Tesco or that. Twining's Lady Grey and Teapigs' Everyday Brew are solid go tos.

Otherwise if you're into loose leaf stuff then Bird and Blend, Eteaket and the Rare Tea Company are 3 UK based companies that all have a variety of blends (at different prices and sizes too if you just wanna try a sample before committing to anything).

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Used to drink pg tips and then tried Yorkshire tea about 4 years ago, can't go back now. There's a difference in taste at least between those two brands and Yorkshire tea just tastes better to me personally.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Loose leaf is always nicer, but it's less convenient.

As far as teabags go, there is a difference, sure. PG Tips is good, Yorkshire next and then everything else below. Even Yorkshire I don't really like but I have to deal with it at work (it really isn't nearly as good as PG Tips). Oh, Twinings is decent though, I always forget them (separately, their Swiss Hot Chocolate is SO good!)

And then there's the class-ism with teas! PGTips = builders, Yorkshire = pompous/fake elite (I say this because that's who keep banging on about it to my face) and Tetley is for poor people or something.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Loose leaf is always nicer, but it's less convenient.

As far as teabags go, there is a difference, sure. PG Tips is good, Yorkshire next and then everything else below. Even Yorkshire I don't really like but I have to deal with it at work (it really isn't nearly as good as PG Tips). Oh, Twinings is decent though, I always forget them (separately, their Swiss Hot Chocolate is SO good!)

And then there's the class-ism with teas! PGTips = builders, Yorkshire = pompous/fake elite (I say this because that's who keep banging on about it to my face) and Tetley is for poor people or something.
Who are the typhoo drinkers?