• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Controversial "gay conversion therapies" are to be banned as part of a government plan to improve the lives of gay and transgender people.

A national survey of 108,000 members of the LGBT community suggested 2% have undergone the practice with another 5% having been offered it.

It also found more than two-thirds of LGBT people avoid holding hands in public, for fear of negative reactions.

The prime minister said nobody "should ever have to hide who they are".

As usual more at the link

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44686374

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly thought it already had been. Gay conversion therapy always seemed like a very American thing.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
For a shining moment I thought this was to be an American thing and was innocently energized by such good news.

Well, congratulations to the British at the very least.

May 12, 2018
Also:

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/07/03/uk-government-transgender-consultation-theresa-may/

Theresa May launches long-awaited transgender consultation despite anti-trans backlash

The government has finally launched a much-anticipated consultation on gender recognition procedures for transgender people. Prime Minister Theresa May announced a year ago that the government would seek to make changes to the 2004 Gender Recognition Act, to simplify the bureaucratic process for transgender people to change their legal gender on their birth certificate.

"I want to see a process that is more streamlined and de-medicalised – because being trans should never be treated as an illness."

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Good. Everyone else in the world moving faster than we are again.

jizzywinks

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Jesus, I had no idea that was still a thing.

The 2/3rds of same-sex couples being afraid to hold hands in public isn't too unsurprising unfortunately, though anecdotally I have noticed it a lot more often now