• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
How are we defining "The success of Game pass?" Beyond PR statements? Microsoft's own financials paint a very grim picture. Subscriptions up 14% but gaming revenue down 10% is the loss of 205 million in a quarter right?

nCK8Y2l.png

But if you look at it as them heavily discounting the services to get people hooked on Game Pass --- to get people to move from $5 a month for just Gold to $15 eventually for Ultimate when the specials run out - AND they give away their first party games...

For sub/services to only be down 3%/1% is actually a pretty strong number. Look at the active users. If 14% more are using and it declined only 3% when we assume a good chunk of them are working with the freebie starter subs. That's about 7 million more monthly users. If they hold just 5% of them for two years, spending a bit each month....well you can see how this scales up.

5% is 350k users. If you get just those to spend the $15 a month long term for Ultimate, that's 5.25 million annually. Before they spend any other money on anything else - and it's pretty much all clear revenue for subs. So even if they buy only a couple games a year and a little DLC and a couple skins here and there, all of which MS collects 30% platform holder fees.

And we ALL know that the more you are play on a system, the more you buy. Check the backlog of every gamer ever. But also then you buy controllers and movie rentals and branded merchandise and the Halo convention and Gears novels and Gears Pop and... I know I've bought movies from Microsoft the past year - simply because I was on the store or had credit - that I'd have otherwise purchased on Google Play or iTunes or Amazon.

And then you've got people using MS Rewards, fueled by the Game Pass Quests, which drives people to Bing, which doesn't show up on the Xbox ledger, but shows in the MS corp overall ledger. Bing has grown in revenue every year, now over 7.5 billion annually.

The math is there as long as they convert intro subs to long-term subs. And let's not forget that this whole two-year push is REALLY about launching the neXtBox, cloud gaming beyond the console and expansion of the PC marketplace foothold. I'd imagine some of this is pegged as essentially marketing spend. It's just a much bigger picture for a much bigger corporation. Too much of this conversation centers on console gaming revenue only. (If you're doing that, Xbox is probably even worse, because Minecraft on all plats makes up for some of the losses.)

The Game Pass idea has tentacles far and wide for the entire MS business in a way that wouldn't work for Sony and Nintendo due to the structure and nature of the organization.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Is Netflix even making money yet? It's almost a given Microsoft is losing money with Game Pass right now but that's not important right now in the grand scheme of things. Once they really establish the player base, sort out their software and normalise the pricing then we will see if it's a sustainable model.

Netflix doesn't really have revenue streams outside of subscriptions. MS has a ton of ways they monetize users who subscribe to gamepass- many will sub to xbl, buy DLC and Micro transactions, use their discount buy games more on the Xbl marketplace, be exposed to Ads in the service, etc. All of these channels stand to see increases with the growth of gamepass.

If you are trying to look for the profits exclusively from within the GP subscription alone, you are doing it wrong.

Last edited:

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
One thing I find fascinating is that MS doesn't want us to buy their console(they have said it many times) or their games (access to their game for low price)to enjoy their offering.they r transitioning the gaming division into service division.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Holy shit. That is some decline and GP/Digital alone can't explain. There was very little hype for the launch. Revenue will be down for sure. Makes you wonder if there's a Gears 6 will they allocate a lesser budget.

Yeah, they doubled their player base from gears 4 to gears 5, but let's cut the budget of the next game.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How are we defining "The success of Game pass?" Beyond PR statements? Microsoft's own financials paint a very grim picture. Subscriptions up 14% but gaming revenue down 10% is the loss of 205 million in a quarter right?

nCK8Y2l.png

www.resetera.com

Microsoft FY19Q4 financial results: Gaming Revenue $2.05bn (down 10%YoY) | Xbox Live MAU 65M (up 14%YoY)

Overall company results are madness: · Revenue was $33.7 billion and increased 12% · Operating income was $12.4 billion and increased 20% · Net income was $13.2 billion GAAP and $10.6 billion non-GAAP, and increased 49% and 21%, respectively · Diluted earnings per share was $1.71 GAAP and $1.37...

I'm not the type of person who believes in any CEO's statements. Gaming or otherwise. When your subscriptions can be found on the back of a discarded candy wrapper and games can be played for £0.89 of course your subscriptions go up. And in turn make for very flattering PR statements. But when we step aside from the PR statements and look at the legally binding info MS is obligated to publish

ie MS' Quarterly financial statements

We see a clearer and bigger picture which in this case tells a painfully different story. And I'm not even referring to the 48% "collapse," as some called it in that thread, in hardware.

Based on your analysis, it looks like Xbox will be closed in a matter of days. Going to sell my Xbox when I get home to get ahead of the collapse.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Based on your analysis, it looks like Xbox will be closed in a matter of days. Going to sell my Xbox when I get home to get ahead of the collapse.

Posts like this really defeat the purpose of discussion. I didn't fabricate the numbers or suggest that you should sell your XBOX. "Also "Collapse" is a term used in the Quarterly financials thread. Outside of that thread the hardware numbers were received with far harsher terminology.

If you want to question the merit of my response we can do that. Anything else isn't really for me.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Is Netflix even making money yet? It's almost a given Microsoft is losing money with Game Pass right now but that's not important right now in the grand scheme of things. Once they really establish the player base, sort out their software and normalise the pricing then we will see if it's a sustainable model.
Netflix makes a truck ton of money each year, it's not a trade secret. And no, it's in no way certain that Game Pass loses MS money, it isn't a simple zero sum game.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
Posts like this really defeat the purpose of discussion. I didn't fabricate the numbers or suggest that you should sell your XBOX. "Also "Collapse" is a term used in the Quarterly financials thread. Outside of that thread the hardware numbers were received with far harsher terminology.

If you want to question the merit of my response we can do that. Anything else isn't really for me.

Your analysis did not see the hardware revenue part I guess. You counted Xbox Live growth as subscription growth.

Are Microsoft investors shook?

Preparing no-confidence motion against Satya and Xbox as we speak.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. That is some decline and GP/Digital alone can't explain. There was very little hype for the launch. Revenue will be down for sure. Makes you wonder if there's a Gears 6 will they allocate a lesser budget.

Weird to compare to Gears 3 which was 1) during the franchise peak and 2) almost 100% physical.

The more apt comparison would be Gears 4. Which would have a modern digital split. I'm not sure how anyone can assess what can be attributed to GP because we are in uncharted territory.

As far as Gears 6 Dev budget, that's a check that MS will write depending on ROI- and surely that will include a lot more than direct sales revenue.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Posts like this really defeat the purpose of discussion. I didn't fabricate the numbers or suggest that you should sell your XBOX. "Also "Collapse" is a term used referred in the Quarterly financials thread. Outside of that thread the hardware numbers were received with far harsher terminology.

I think they were being quippy about it, but you do seem to be missing the factors spelled out in those bullet points: The software/services decrease (which was mostly offset by services income) came from one specific third-party title being down. The hardware slowdown is related to normal generational wind-down, and was already accounted for in their forecasts. Services growth (which I thought was the crux of the discussion) was enough to almost entirely cancel out significant slowdown from Fortnite. That's an incredibly positive result.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I find fascinating is that MS doesn't want us to buy their console(they have said it many times) or their games (access to their game for low price)to enjoy their offering.they r transitioning the gaming division into service division.

This isn't what they've said. They want to reach gamers everywhere regardless of how they prefer to consume.

If you want a console, they got something for you. If you want to play on pc, that's cool too. If you want to subscribe to a games buffet, they've got you covered. But If you want to own physical or digital, that option is there too. They've also launched services that work on competing platforms, and sell their games on competing service.

They are shifting into a gaming division that meets consumers where they are - which mirrors everything they've been doing in the Office space.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I think they were being quippy about it, but you do seem to be missing the factors spelled out in those bullet points: The software/services decrease (which was mostly offset by services income) came from one specific third-party title being down. The hardware slowdown is related to normal generational wind-down, and was already accounted for in their forecasts. Services growth (which I thought was the crux of the discussion) was enough to almost entirely cancel out significant slowdown from Fortnite. That's an incredibly positive result.
I said the same thing already...no reply... :)

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, and now compare digital sales and Game Pass Downloads.

Physical is dying.

In the UK I believe the digital split on console games is still only 25%-35% on average. Fifa 19 for example, the best selling game in the UK last year, sold 25% digitally despite sale promotions specifically for digital. It's possible Gears 5 has a higher percentage than that, but I don't see why it would be drastically different, which means including digital it likely didn't sell more than 32k.

Obviously we have no idea about Game Pass numbers, but I'm assuming GP is the key reason sales are as low as they are. That potentially coupled with poor marketing (imo).

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Weird to compare to Gears 3 which was 1) during the franchise peak and 2) almost 100% physical.

The more apt comparison would be Gears 4. Which would have a modern digital split. I'm not sure how anyone can assess what can be attributed to GP because we are in uncharted territory.

As far as Gears 6 Dev budget, that's a check that MS will write depending on ROI- and surely that will include a lot more than direct sales revenue.
As you said Gears 4 numbers are a more app comparison.
Gears 4 sold approximately 72,675 units at retail compared to Gears 5 approximately 16,150 units.

Yeah, and now compare digital sales and Game Pass Downloads.

Physical is dying.
A significance of physical media may be decreasing. However I've it seem to me that the only difference change between gears 4 and 5 circumstances is that gears 5 released day and date on Gamepass. Gears 4 was a play anywhere title so was already available on PC. So digital sales not a significant factor when it comes to these numbers.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Gears 4 sold approximately 72,675 units at retail compared to Gears 5 approximately 16,150 units.

A significance of physical media may be decreasing. However I've it seem to me that the only difference change between gears 4 and 5 circumstances is that gears 5 released day and date on Gamepass. Gears 4 was a play anywhere title so was already available on PC. So digital sales not a significant factor when it comes to these numbers.

That list only shows the ultimate edition for one day tho.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
In the UK I believe the digital split on console games is still only 25%-35% on average. Fifa 19 for example, the best selling game in the UK last year, sold 25% digitally despite sale promotions specifically for digital. It's possible Gears 5 has a higher percentage than that, but I don't see why it would be drastically different, which means including digital it likely didn't sell more than 32k.

Obviously we have no idea about Game Pass numbers, but I'm assuming GP is the key reason sales are as low as they are. That potentially coupled with poor marketing (imo).
Borderlands 3 lost 50% of physical sales compared to Borderlands 2, so or the digital split on Borderlands 3 is 50% (probably higher) or Borderlands sales are decreasing and honestly I think we all agree that Borderlands popularity doesn't seem to be decreasing with 3...

Games like SoT already had a very high digital ratio on UK, and I can't see Gears 5 selling worse digitally than SoT.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Game Pass is amazing. Why would I ever buy any MS game? I think Game Pass is so good, I wish all of my friends would switch to Xbox/PC, I would save so much money. Haha.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

Yup that is a comparison that makes sense.

So MS would hope that the reduction in sell through is more than offset.by a corresponding increase in GP subscriptions and the additional purchases these people make.

Where analysis gets really tricky is when it comes time measure spend from people like me, who purchased gears 4, but got GP in between releases. So I don't help the sell through number, nor do I help the Gears related GP subscription bump.

Last edited:

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Borderlands 3 lost 50% of physical sales compared to Borderlands 2, so or the digital split on Borderlands 3 is 50% (probably higher) or Borderlands sales are decreasing and honestly I think we all agree that Borderlands popularity doesn't seem to be decreasing with 3...

Games like SoT already had a very high digital ratio on UK, and I can't see Gears 5 selling worse digitally than SoT.

I think Borderlands 3's drop could be attributed to a combination of both a digital increase and a potential franchise decline. But like with Gears 5, I don't know what sales in other regions are yet, so these declines may or may not be specific to UK markets.

Also, I know we've heard that Borderlands 3's concurrent numbers were twice as high as Borderlands 2's at launch, but bear in mind that was only for PC, not for all platforms. I don't even know if EGS sales are listed in UK numbers.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018

Digital has grown since 2016, MS store is less unpopular now, and the game is selling on Steam too. The digital ratio of Gears 5 is way higher than 4 for sure.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
That list only shows the ultimate edition for one day tho.
That chart includes both physical (for a limited number of countries) and digital sales for across Europe. However you don't think most people who still bought game even though Gamepass offers immense value got the ultimate version?

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who is still buying physical media? It boggles my mind that people still get in a car, drive to a store, see if a game is in stock, drive home, install it....and wait to play.

When you can just preloade 3 days early and be playing as soon as the clock strikes 12.

I'm surprised gears sold that much physical there. Everything about the game screams go digital / game pass
I do, and it's really not that complicated as there are still quite a few active video game shops in my city.

For most PS4/Switch games that I buy, I can just pop the game in and play on version 1.0 while the latest patch is downloading.

Retailers stock never was a problem with me either.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
I think Borderlands 3's drop could be attributed to a combination of both a digital increase and a potential franchise decline. But like with Gears 5, I don't know what sales in other regions are yet, so these declines may or may not be specific to UK markets.

Also, I know we've heard that Borderlands 3's concurrent numbers were twice as high as Borderlands 2's at launch, but bear in mind that was only for PC, not for all platforms. I don't even know if EGS sales are listed in UK numbers.
Borderlands 3 topped Xbox most played list with only 2 days counted (if I'm not mistaken) the last game that did that had 3 million players on its first weekend. Borderlands is not declining, it's rising and it's rising on Xbox too. The digital split of B3 on UK is 50% at the very least.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If only people took just a fraction amount of time to look in to what Microsoft is trying to do compared to how much time people just rip Microsoft apart. I can't believe people are worried about physical sales when Microsoft themselves are trying to get away from it.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
That chart includes both physical (for a limited number of countries) and digital sales for across Europe. However you don't think most people who still bought game even though Gamepass offers immense value got the ultimate version?
Just saying. Its not a complete list. Do think most people bought the normal version tho.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Surely we've learned by now that Microsoft are playing the long game. This generation is just a proving ground after the kicking they received for getting the initial Xbox One vision so badly wrong: they have the next 2 or 3 generations as their target instead while physical sales dwindle and the importance of subscription services and cloud offerings become more relevant. The success of Gears 5 in driving engagement and subscription numbers is going to inform Microsoft's decisions going into the next generation.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Borderlands 3 topped Xbox most played list with only 2 days counted (if I'm not mistaken) the last game that did that had 3 million players on its first weekend. Borderlands is not declining, it's rising and it's rising on Xbox too. The digital split of B3 on UK is 50% at the very least.

None of what you said dictates whether it has seen a decline or not. A game can still sell really well and be really popular whilst simultaneously seeing franchise decline (see Halo 5). Unless you know what Borderlands 2 and 3's launch numbers were/are, we just can't know. We'll have to wait for sales from more regions or an update from Gearbox to get a better picture.

But I agree that the digital split on Borderlands 3 could very well be 50%.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Digital has grown since 2016, MS store is less unpopular now, and the game is selling on Steam too. The digital ratio of Gears 5 is way higher than 4 for sure.
The chart in the tweet is again physical (limited countries and digital across Europe. Yes it was only one days sales however the ones buying the game and digitally will be the most dedicated fans. So the fact that it chart below Man of Medan second week says that digital sales isn't making up the difference in units sold. Remember the numbers I proved didn't include either games digital sales and obviously gears 4 also had a significant number of digital sales.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Surely we've learned by now that Microsoft are playing the long game. This generation is just a proving ground after the kicking they received for getting the initial Xbox One vision so badly wrong: they have the next 2 or 3 generations as their target instead while physical sales dwindle and the importance of subscription services and cloud offerings become more relevant. The success of Gears 5 in driving engagement and subscription numbers is going to inform Microsoft's decisions going into the next generation.
Stop being reasonable. :P

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Just saying. Its not a complete list. Do think most people bought the normal version tho.
I don't know I believe those price conscious got it through Gamepass. I think the majority of people who bought the game digital got the ultimate version. But that's just my opinion.
None of what you said dictates whether it has seen a decline or not. A game can still sell really well and be really popular whilst simultaneously seeing franchise decline (see Halo 5). Unless you know what Borderlands 2 and 3's launch numbers were/are, we just can't know. We'll have to wait for sales from more regions or an update from Gearbox to get a better picture.

But I agree that the digital split on Borderlands 3 could very well be 50%.
Borderlands will achieve over 50% digital sales. One platform is 95% digital.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
The chart in the tweet is again physical (limited countries and digital across Europe. Yes it was only one days sales however the ones buying the game and digitally will be the most dedicated fans. So the fact that it chart below Man of Medan second week says that digital sales isn't making up the difference in units sold. Remember the numbers I proved didn't include either games digital sales and obviously gears 4 also had a significant number of digital sales.
limited countries, only one day, don't you think is not the best source to try to prove anything?

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, we need to wait years before we see if this plan works out for them or not. Right now it's definitely deep in the red, to be seen how this works out for them later.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

nCK8Y2l.png

www.resetera.com

Microsoft FY19Q4 financial results: Gaming Revenue $2.05bn (down 10%YoY) | Xbox Live MAU 65M (up 14%YoY)

Overall company results are madness: · Revenue was $33.7 billion and increased 12% · Operating income was $12.4 billion and increased 20% · Net income was $13.2 billion GAAP and $10.6 billion non-GAAP, and increased 49% and 21%, respectively · Diluted earnings per share was $1.71 GAAP and $1.37...

I'm not the type of person who believes in any CEO's statements. Gaming or otherwise. When your subscriptions can be found on the back of a discarded candy wrapper and games can be played for £0.89 of course your subscriptions go up. And in turn make for very flattering PR statements. But when we step aside from the PR statements and look at the legally binding info MS is obligated to publish

ie MS' Quarterly financial statements

We see a clearer and bigger picture which in this case tells a painfully different story. And I'm not even referring to the 48% "collapse," as some called it in that thread, in hardware.

So do you believe someone was asleep at the wheel when they advertised Game Pass over Xbox as the platform, ran a $2 for 2 months promo at the same time as Gears release and allowed Game Pass owners earlier access than $60 physical copies?

This is an investment for the future. Their 1st party is being used as a loss leader. They're treating gaming as a growth division. It's a gamble due to 5G being on the horizon. The measure of success is mindshare and MAUs right now. If the world does what microsoft is gambling on when 5G goes mainstream, the profits given up now are piddly compared to being the leaders in a subscription service that people will be able to access on their toaster in 3-5 years.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
limited countries, only one day, don't you think is not the best source to try to prove anything?
Physical sales are limited
That your prerogative however the charts Digital data includes games sold in Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Kuwait Lebanon, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine and UAE.

Physical data includes all games, but only those sold in Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Great Britain, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So do you believe someone was asleep at the wheel when they advertised Game Pass over Xbox as the platform, ran a $2 for 2 months promo at the same time as Gears release and allowed Game Pass owners earlier access than $60 physical copies?

This is an investment for the future. Their 1st party is being used as a loss leader. They're treating gaming as a growth division. It's a gamble due to 5G being on the horizon. The measure of success is mindshare and MAUs right now. If the world does what microsoft is gambling on when 5G goes mainstream, the profits given up now are piddly compared to being the leaders in a subscription service that people will be able to access on their toaster in 3-5 years.

This is a fair point. Despite the fact that I disagree with the long term strategy due to a number of caveats. But my post was a response to another member calling GP a success and reiterating the same point emphatically.

My original point about the contrast of that statement with the actual financials is something I stand by especially since the numbers are what they are. I expect the next financial statement to be as bleak for the reasons you mention.

GP itself, for me, is another debate entirely. But stating that...

Microsoft has moved beyond that point now after the success of Gamepass. Even 3rd party have commented on it.

And yes, I said success.

Without anything but vaguely worded PR to back up that statement. A statement that's in direct contrast to XBOX's dire financials, needs to be addressed.

Oct 31, 2017
That's a huge drop off in sales. I don't know if GP will be able to make up for such a huge drop in revenue of digital/physical sales.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Physical sales are limited

That your prerogative however the charts Digital data includes games sold in Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Kuwait Lebanon, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine and UAE.

Physical data includes all games, but only those sold in Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Great Britain, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
only one day of sales ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Netflix doesn't really have revenue streams outside of subscriptions. MS has a ton of ways they monetize users who subscribe to gamepass- many will sub to xbl, buy DLC and Micro transactions, use their discount buy games more on the Xbl marketplace, be exposed to Ads in the service, etc. All of these channels stand to see increases with the growth of gamepass.

If you are trying to look for the profits exclusively from within the GP subscription alone, you are doing it wrong.

I do agree with this.
The measure of success is mindshare and MAUs right now.

Yeah, about that:

Even tho I do agree it's a measure of success, even MS is kind of going away from it.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

Engagement and mindshare are still critical however Xbox is in full blown transition mode so they're obscuring the numbers for now. MAUs have been a little fuzzy since they currently included anyone who logged into Xbox Live on any platform and Game Pass is future. They were misleading before and Microsoft isn't ready to hold the division under a microscope yet.