• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
The World
The function of Gamepass dynamically changes to fit the current Microsoft PR output.

Good thing we have non-MS people who said the same thing. But whatever floats your boat.

Posted this in the other thread - Gears 5 was heavily marketed as a Game Pass game. Xbox One wasn't even mentioned in it's big ads

EEIdjaxU4AADjT_.jpg

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
The Outer Worlds is my most anticipated game for this year, but I'm probably not going to actually buy it 'cause it's £50 on PC and I have the alternative of just signing up to Game Pass for a bit.

If it were somewhere in the £30-40 range that used to be common for PC games before all the Pound devaluation messed everything up, I'd probably still just buy it outright. I dunno, maybe CDKeys'll come through—but if not, it's gonna have to be Game Pass.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Gamepass is too good to ignore. Whether people actually subscribe at full whack down the line, who knows but people are subscribing.

If it's anything like Netflix, people will sign up intending to cancel after one or two things, but MS will aim to hook these people in once the trial period expires with the sheer amount of content there. A lot of it will depend on how rapidly they build up their library in the next 1-2 years.

I feel like an idiot now for not buying an extra year of Gold on top of the one I bought when they were offering that rollover deal.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Digital is pretty big on Xbox (even more so on PC) and Microsoft has been pushing this game with the Game Pass banner since its reveal. I wouldn't be surprised if this game had 60-70% or more of its players coming from Game Pass, which is still money for Microsoft.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
From the old site

[Week 46, 2006] 01 (NE) GEARS OF WAR (MICROSOFT) ~ 100,000 / NEW
[Week 45, 2008] 01 (NE) GEARS OF WAR 2 (MICROSOFT) ~ 220,000 / NEW
[Week 38, 2011] 01 (NE) GEARS OF WAR 3 (MICROSOFT) - 323,000 / NEW
[Week 12, 2013] 01 (NE) GEARS OF WAR: JUDGEMENT (MICROSOFT) ~ 80,000 / NEW
[Week 35, 2015] 01 (NE) GEARS OF WAR: ULTIMATE EDITION (MICROSOFT) ~ 40,000 / NEW

Current opening week according to this tweet

And math worked out by MrTired

Has Gears 5 UK retail launch at 18K

The Gears 5 physical salesfigure was around 16150 units.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
It is clear imo that Game Pass syphoned a lot of sales. The question now is how much are those GP subscriptions worth? Are people buying it at that promotional price without intention of prolonging it, just so that they can get into Gears 5 at the cheapest price possible? Are those people choosing the shortest subscription option possible or are they subbing for the year? Now it is up to MS to make sure they tie those people into their service for years or decades by keeping up the value available on the GP.

This.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I'm always part of the digital sales for these games. I think I've bought two or three boxed games this entire generation.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm the biggest Gears fan there is and even I went for the Gamepass ultimate version :)

Fact is retail models of discs are dying and it's only going to get worse for them

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Boxed game sales numbers become less relevant by the day. Even NPD doesn't paint the whole picture since not all pubs give out their digital sales numbers. MS likely has the data for how many people bought Gears 5 digitally or how many Gamepass members downloaded it. Those are the numbers we want to see.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't gamepass like £8 a month now? The value proposition disappeared for me pretty quick tbh. I felt like I was over it by the time I'd beat one game on it so I'm surprised it's doing this much to a new release.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
How are digital sales in this country so high. I basically refuse because the price is obscene compared to physical.

Like why the hell would I buy Borderlands 3 for £60 when stores have it for £50? I mean I'm not gonna do either because £50 is still too high.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I imagine this will only get worse until physical and full game sales are effectively nil for these franchises. People are catching on quick that these games can be gotten with Gamepass for a pittance.

Will be interesting to see what it does in terms of revenue for developers, because while this is great for consumers (even I am a Gamepass subscriber), I can't help that it's a big net loss in terms of money flowing into the industry, what with full price sales drying up this quick. We'll see what it does to development in a few years but meanwhile everyone should reap the benefits.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This is just physical media? Well, yeah, that's dwindling before our very eyes.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is clear imo that Game Pass syphoned a lot of sales. The question now is how much are those GP subscriptions worth? Are people buying it at that promotional price without intention of prolonging it, just so that they can get into Gears 5 at the cheapest price possible? Are those people choosing the shortest subscription option possible or are they subbing for the year? Now it is up to MS to make sure they tie those people into their service for years or decades by keeping up the value available on the GP.
Why does everyone keep saying promotional price, does no one think people wouldn't have used the promotions on games like forza etc? And now paying full monthly costs?

Microsoft aren't just an throw away company, there the richest In the world.

That's like saying The people who watch Netflix are using their 30 days free trial still

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
This is just physical media? Well, yeah, that's dwindling before our very eyes.
Sure, but this is most unique case we've had yet: it's effectively the first title for which Game Pass sales syphoning is extremely clear. Gears 4 was a big step down from Gears 3, and now Gears 5 is down by the same factor once more. It's a huge decline even from Gears 4, so that's quite unique.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
For people concerned about GamePass retention, I would imagine it's much like Netflix and other subscription services. How many people subscribe for just a month when a new show is released and cancel when done? By and large their subscription numbers show consistent growth so with Microsoft investing so much in studios I would expect them to follow a similar trajectory (pace of growth TBD).

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but this is most unique case we've had yet: it's effectively the first title for which Game Pass sales syphoning is extremely clear. Gears 4 was a big step down from Gears 3, and now Gears 5 is down by the same factor once more. It's a huge decline even from Gears 4, so that's quite unique.

Its also the first game to really market and push GP. This is by design.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
From MS's perspective the most dangerous ones will be those subbing just to play Gears/Halo/Forza for a month and then peacing out.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Borderlands 3 being the biggest box seller of the year so far and still doing less than half of what Borderlands 2 did in 2012 shows where we're at with physical games.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
To People saying it did so much digital probably , Uk is very price sensitive market and digital is always more expensive than physical on launch. I m not saying it didn't do digital but don't expect 200% digital.it did 16000 physical.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i am not sure why would you celebrate the death of physical games, its not a good thing.

It is a good thing. Huge factories polluting the world making these games, all of the plastic required for packaging and then the transport infrastructure to deliver said games is just increasing the carbon footprint of the gaming industry exponentially.

Long live digital and long live Game Pass.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
You can argue that the people who subscribe for a month to play a game for "free" are the same ones who would either not play it until it's dirt cheap, or not play it at all.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
It does make me think back to this quote though. Maybe he meant digital sales?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ph...ads-to-a-significant-increase-in-sales.80711/

I find it hard to believe Gamepass will increase sales for big games like Gears 5 which already have a lot of exposure, but even if it does, it wouldn't be in the first week but instead long term due to word of mouth since many people would be playing it and also others that are curious about the game but not enough to buy it will try it whenever they get GP and then maybe ended up buying it.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Very happy to see Greedfall do reasonably well. Do we have an idea of numbers?

what was Gears 5's budget?

Has to have been significant. I doubt it's RoI at this point for MS, they just want to make sure they have the sub numbers going into next gen. Lock people in and keep them there.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
You can argue that the people who subscribe for a month to play a game for "free" are the same ones who would either not play it until it's dirt cheap, or not play it at all.

Aye, I wouldn't have bothered with games like Void Bastards, Outer Wilds, etc if it wasn't for GP.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I feel like Borderlands 3 being the biggest box seller of the year so far and still doing less than half of what Borderlands 2 did in 2012 shows where we're at with physical games.
Or just people are less willing to buy on launch due to immediate price drops ?digital grew but in Uk last year it was around 30% if I m not mistaken

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
To People saying it did so much digital probably , Uk is very price sensitive market and digital is always more expensive than physical on launch. I m not saying it didn't do digital but don't expect 200% digital.it did 16000 physical.

isnt digital like 60% over in the UK?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that says enough already. I mean biggest of the year and we are in september. Its not like its Feb also or something.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
From MS's perspective the most dangerous ones will be those subbing just to play Gears/Halo/Forza for a month and then peacing out.

I think that's an accepted casualty at this point, especially when they are offering extremely cheap trials, but presumably in the longer term they're going to want to cash in big on their huge launches rather than subsidising to get Game Pass up and running.

Oct 25, 2017
How are digital sales in this country so high. I basically refuse because the price is obscene compared to physical.

Like why the hell would I buy Borderlands 3 for £60 when stores have it for £50? I mean I'm not gonna do either because £50 is still too high.

Guessing that decent Internet infrastructure with data caps/download limits being more or less non-existent means more people will pay a bit extra for the convenience of digital downloads than places like the USA.

That and Brits don't want to deal with having to make small talk with the person behind the counter at GAME.