• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017

Screen_Shot_2019-09-16_at_11.51.56.png

-

It seems MS will hope GP will make up for the revenue loss in the short term. AAA games are expensive and obviously losing those $60 buys will sink revenue, but it is all so GP revenue can explode years from now.

I just wonder if things like people only subbing when the price drops, or just subbing for the game they want and then dropping, will play into all that.

It is a rather risky strategy but one that will pay dividends if they can get to its full potential.

Last edited:

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well when u have game pass and access to that game for 1$ no one would pay 60 for it . This is what MS wants .hope they can achieve their plan and make up for it by subscription.enjoyed gears 5 a lot.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought both digitally, I bet many did too.

These are games you go back to often, digital is the best for that.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
the big question is if most of those GP users will continue to subscribe, if they dont, then this will end up as a big money loss.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Anyone could see this coming, the amount of people paying $60 for first party Microsoft titles mut be minuscule now.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dang, I guess they'll see now more than ever if Game Pass is a good source for revenue.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
We've long reached the point these physical only sales data points become confusing and irrelevant. Especially for PC centric and/or Microsoft releases.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
why would anyone pay 60 for gears? At some point when I hook my Xbox one back up I'll get gamepass to play through the campaign cause 2 bucks. Not big on The multiplayer but I'm sure the campaign is worth 2 bucks for a trek through.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gamepass is too good to ignore. Whether people actually subscribe at full whack down the line, who knows but people are subscribing.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
No bad news here really. Pretty neutral. MS want to drive people to their new product (GP) and it has worked.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game Pass will only increase in value from here on out, can only imagine what games will be there for the launch of Scarlett. It's going to be bonkers!

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
Microsoft should communicate something, even if it's their usual 'players spent x hours on the game'.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
why would anyone pay 60 for gears? At some point when I hook my Xbox one back up I'll get gamepass to play through the campaign cause 2 bucks. Not big on The multiplayer but I'm sure the campaign is worth 2 bucks for a trek through.

*akwardly rises hand

I own Gamepass but that steelbook looks sweet. I think I am the only guy in Spain who keeps a healthy collection of physical xbox one games (because the system is almost completely irrelevant here)

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty excepted that Gears 5 wouldn't do as well as Gears 4 with GamePass being cheap.

It does make me think back to this quote though. Maybe he meant digital sales?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ph...ads-to-a-significant-increase-in-sales.80711/
This has been discussed in the other thread also. But Spencer didnt only say it. Devs and sales insiders also.
Biggest difference is that Gears 5 has been heavily marketed as a Gamepass game. I mean every trailer and billboard has "play with gamepass on it" and nothing more.
Combine that will the 1 and 2 buck deals to promote and that gamepass ultimate gave you 4 days early access. So was expected and people also already said it. That gamepass with this game would eat in normal sales.

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Not surprising. They weren't pushing for retail/digital sales at all in G5 marketing, just Game Pass. And the game was even playable in early access to Game Pass Ultimate owners, penalizing retail sales. Add to this the $2 offer for 2 months of GPU, and you can imagine why would anyone buy the game at full price.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From the old site

[Week 46, 2006] 01 (NE) GEARS OF WAR (MICROSOFT) ~ 100,000 / NEW
[Week 45, 2008] 01 (NE) GEARS OF WAR 2 (MICROSOFT) ~ 220,000 / NEW
[Week 38, 2011] 01 (NE) GEARS OF WAR 3 (MICROSOFT) - 323,000 / NEW
[Week 12, 2013] 01 (NE) GEARS OF WAR: JUDGEMENT (MICROSOFT) ~ 80,000 / NEW
[Week 35, 2015] 01 (NE) GEARS OF WAR: ULTIMATE EDITION (MICROSOFT) ~ 40,000 / NEW

Current opening week according to this tweet

And math worked out by MrTired

Has Gears 5 UK retail launch at 18K

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For comparison these sales for G5 for an exclusive game put it not much further ahead than something like ARMS which IIRC sold around 14/15k week 1. Now context is of course key here to explaining this- one is a premiere title of a money spinning subscription service with a significant amount of its sales also being digital, also microtransactions. The other is... ARMS. If your default one word response to both of these is 'flop' then I feel you're being wilfully blind to the obvious differences here.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Pretty excepted that Gears 5 wouldn't do as well as Gears 4 with GamePass being cheap.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ph...ads-to-a-significant-increase-in-sales.80711/
I thought Gamepass increases franchise sales?

Gamepass has insanely aggressive promotion going on athe moment, you can get several months for pocket change. I think that quote does not apply here since it's a pretty special case of MS pushing gamepass harder than ever.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, not surprising.

Never going to buy another ms game in my life.

I'll just wait a few months, get gp for a dollar if I can, play everything there I want, then cancel.

Best way to go about it honestly.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It is clear imo that Game Pass syphoned a lot of sales. The question now is how much are those GP subscriptions worth? Are people buying it at that promotional price without intention of prolonging it, just so that they can get into Gears 5 at the cheapest price possible? Are those people choosing the shortest subscription option possible or are they subbing for the year? Now it is up to MS to make sure they tie those people into their service for years or decades by keeping up the value available on the GP.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
The function of Gamepass dynamically changes to fit the current Microsoft PR output.

Or.. reality has changed? When Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 launched, Game Pass was still a new service. It didn't get marketed as aggressively as now and with Sea of Thieves selling 40k copies in its first week in the UK, actual game sales were still important.

One year later and many, many Game Pass promotions and marketing campaigns later, this is the result.

It will be interesting to see how Game Pass will influence the legs of Gears 5 in regards to sales. I could see it having a positive effect. People will buy the game on a sale on Steam, will buy it after their subscription ends, etc.

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gamepass has insanely aggressive promotion going on athe moment, you can get several months for pocket change. I think that quote does not apply here since it's a pretty special case of MS pushing gamepass harder than ever.
Or maybe it was too early to make that judgment call back then and people were making excuses for Crackdown 3 so maybe Gears 5 sales will finally put down that premature statement to rest.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
Where is that 1£/$ offer for game pass pc?

I like gears and will sub one, finish the game And play some online but that's it and unsub. Don't need to stay subbed for old games just because.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

The game was explicitely marketed as a "gamepass game", intentionally. So my guess is that Microsoft released Gears 5 especially as a game that is to push subscription numbers and it seems they were quite successful with that.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Or maybe it was too early to make that judgment call back then and people were making excuses for Crackdown 3 so maybe Gears 5 sales will finally put down that premature statement to rest.

Spencer just noticed GP had a positive effect on sales back then. He didn't say it was going to be like this forever. Even MS was a little surprised by the positive effect.

Deleted member 8784

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd love to know their break-even point for this. When does Game Pass become more profitable to Microsoft than boxed / digital sales?

They seem to be doubling down on it in every way, so there's got to be some method to the madness.

The function of Gamepass dynamically changes to fit the current Microsoft PR output.

I don't think anyone has ever suggested the function of Game Pass is to sell more copies of games, because that's daft and you know it. That point was just made in an interview as an unintended positive benefit on the service.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Not good. I wonder what this means for future MS titles on Steam.

I'm jokingly referring to this thread (link)

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I think now people know GamePass works and with all the offers to get it so cheap, I think GamePass increasing sales of games is over now, as people would rather get the much cheaper sub and play all the games they want for that lower cost.