• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The classy woman, keep on keeping on Davidson, you utter hack.

Her masked slipped again. What a turd. I hate that people fall for her jolly slick, she is evil as the rest of them. I thought she would slither back after the GE but probably needed a few brownie points if the Tories win for her master Boris.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019

Please be true, that's a good enough return all things considered with Rangers fans being angry Celtic beat them.

Masquerader

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Sinn Féin has not sat in parliament in any of its incarnations, starting with 1918, long. To do so would be to recognise the authority of the British state over Ireland, which we disagree with. For a few more practical justifications, SF MPs don't do NOTHING, they're working in the background to get concessions, deals made, etc. Just to cite an immediate local example, my MP for West Belfast recently was found to be in the top 10% of MPs in terms of work done for their constituents in a survey of all Westminster MPs despite having a literal absolute majority nearing 2/3rds of the vote and not taking their seat.

Acts of parliament historically don't benefit Ireland but work in the background does get results. The GFA had very little to do with parliament, for example. Abstentionism is not apathy, it's voted for by the people who wholly expect abstentionism. Westminster parliamentary democracy is also heavily flawed, with the popular vote and proportionate number of seats and actual representation being grossly inadequate. Look at the 2010 General Election in the North of Ireland for an example of that in action. Various Irish Unity supporters have sat in parliament and took their seats throughout history and their votes have made very little difference compared to any background work.

Granted, even everyone in SF can be frustrated sometimes by being unable to vote in Westminster elections purely out of pragmatism, but if anything it just reinforces how an utterly English-dominated parliament is barely even worth looking in the direction of thanks to the constantly reckless decisions of the English electorate sabotaging any chance for progress. By contrast, Stormont actually provides more proper proportional representation with its MLA system, almost as good as the Dail does in the South of Ireland.

And finally, there's the Oath of Allegiance, a no-go for various reasons, chief among which include history and pride. We don't believe in royalty~

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Real talk

That's why many traditional Conservatives have left or been driven out of the party, including David Gauke, Rory Stewart, Amber Rudd, Michael Heseltine, Ken Clarke, Matthew Parris and many others. Former prime minister John Major's public call not to vote for Johnson was particularly powerful.

The media makes little of this. The denunciation of Jeremy Corbyn by Ian Austin, a Labour politician of negligible importance who had already left the party, got far more coverage than the cry of despair from a former Tory prime minister.

In normal circumstances I would never vote for Labour, let alone Corbyn. I still wouldn't if I believed the terrible charge that he is an antisemite. There is a problem of antisemitism in the Labour party. And Corbyn has handled the problem badly.

I don't deny the dreadful actions of some members of his party, but I'm not aware of evidence of Corbyn using derogatory language about Jewish people in the way that Boris Johnson routinely has against black people, gay people and Muslims.

Imagine the collective denunciations of Corbyn had he been guilty of the racist and homophobic remarks attributable to Johnson: phrases such as "piccanninies", "watermelon smiles" and "bumboys". There's a double standard here.

Johnson has not shown the slightest appetite to deal with the virulent Islamophobia that poisons the Conservative party. The mainstream press in Britain has practically ignored this issue. That's because most British newspapers are themselves Islamophobic. Johnson's claim that his party has "zero tolerance" for Islamophobia is yet another of the cynical lies that have been the defining feature of his political campaign.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
Well I spoke to my dad today and it unfortunately went as I thought it might. He said he would vote for Johnson or the Brexit party. Also found out he voted to leave and I know it's due to immigration (although his first reason for wanting to leave was because we don't have enough of a say in Europe!). I feel completely lost and don't know how I can still have a relationship with him.

Has anyone else been in this situation and what did you do?

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course. I explained that badly too. The oath is symbolic of state. But that does not mean they would happily take their seats if the oath was removed.

I see people talk about the oath all the time like it's the sticking point "Why don't they just hold their noses and take the oath even if they don't mean it" or " Labour are going to eliminate the requirement to take the oath so Sinn Féin can come into Westminster to help them" as if any of the periphery and procedure is the reason they don't sit in Westminster.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
So if the NI math is:

DUP = 8
SF = 7
SDLP = 2
Alliance = 1

Plus the Speaker, how many seats can the Tories win and still not be able to form a majority with the DUP?

Seems that a 321 would be a majority, so Tories would need to get 312 or below if that math checks out? Is that right?

Yeah, checks out to me. Maybe with some fuckery from an independent who leans Tory, but otherwise, yeah

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
I'm slightly worried because Celtic are playing in Europe tomorrow but Rangers are at home. Celtic fans are far more SNP and Rangers far more "anything but SNP". I really hope there's no swings away from SNP in and around Glasgow as a result. Doubt there will be but I thought about it.
Allocation of 750 and a few hundred more unofficial tickets above that. It's not going to be a factor.

On the other hand, fans of Glasgow's youngest club have to squeeze in voting before their 2000 kickoff...

mo60

Oct 25, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
My gut feeling at this point is that tories win between 320 and 340 seats tomorrow night, but their might be some really suprising wins in urban areas especially in the south for labour.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Well I spoke to my dad today and it unfortunately went as I thought it might. He said he would vote for Johnson or the Brexit party. Also found out he voted to leave and I know it's due to immigration (although his first reason for wanting to leave was because we don't have enough of a say in Europe!). I feel completely lost and don't know how I can still have a relationship with him.

Has anyone else been in this situation and what did you do?
If he's still deciding between con and bxp and absolutely no other party, convince him to vote Brexit Party.

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
If Tories get a small majority, I do think we'll have another election in 2020 or 2021. Really don't see them lasting with a small majority.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
And yet abstention is still a tacit form of approval by reducing the numbers needed to succeed. If they wanted to defend the union they'd vote down Boris every time.

If anything, it helps their cause when Parliament elects shitbirds like Boris. If England was super pro-Irish policy, then SF wouldn't have as good of a market.

POLLING STATIONS OPEN 7AM - 10PM TODAY
OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Polling stations will open at 7am and close at 10pm today (12th December) – this is the same across the UK, no matter your location. That's 15 whole hours to vote. If you are at the polling station at 10pm, stay in line, if you're in the queue you will get a vote by law.

You do not need to bring anything with you to vote, no ID or polling card required, unless you are in Northern Ireland in which case you will need some form of photo ID. It doesn't need to be in date, but the accepted forms of ID are a passport, driving licence, electoral card or translink smartpass. Again, for GB residents, you do not need to bring anything with you to vote. You just need to have registered on the electoral roll. If you've not done that already, you're unfortunately too late to register.

Your polling card, which should have been sent to you already, will contain the details of where you can vote. Make sure to go to that polling station, you won't be allowed to vote in another one. You can also find your polling station details here. If you have applied for a postal vote and for whatever reason haven't submitted it yet, you can also take it to your local polling station before 10pm tonight.

Get out and vote!

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Sisters and brothers join me!

Anyone eligible to vote that admits here they didn't will get blocked by me. No questions asked. No excuses accepted.

Go out and vote if you are franchised! I wish I could, alas brits living abroad don't have that luxury. So make us proud!

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
things arent looking pretty good UkEra, but hope always exists! If things go well, we will celebrate it together. If everything goes to shit, then we will help y"all survive. Best of luck and I hope that everything works out in the end.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe a little early to ask this, but when will first results be in? I seem to remember some places being done before midnight last time, but beyond that I can't remember.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland

Anyone eligible to vote that admits here they didn't will get blocked by me. No questions asked. No excuses accepted.

Go out and vote if you are franchised! I wish I could, alas brits living abroad don't have that luxury. So make us proud!
Don't you worry. I'll be voting. And voting SNP in Glasgow North West (I think that's my constituency anyways). Voting. Haircut. Food. Bowling. Lots of alcohol. Staying up all night watching the count unfold. I picked a fucking amazing day to start a week and a half off of work.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Actual footage from this time tomorrow of me watching the results

giphy.gif

SMD

Oct 28, 2017

You absolutely can vote unless you've been abroad longer than 15 years and even then it's not difficult to find loopholes to maintain your eligibility.

Bazza

Oct 27, 2017
Don't suppose someone can do me a favour, about to burn a few bridges I think, someone posted pretty detailed messages a few days ago that stated what the conservatives cut funds for over the last 10 years and the effect of the cuts, tried looking but I'm pretty pissed and a can't seem to locate it.

excowboy

Oct 29, 2017
Just a heads up that in marginal seats your local constituency party (Labour, LD, SNP, whatever (not Tory, obvs)) will still be working hard today to get out the vote - leafleting, door knocking, driving etc all the way til 10pm.

So, you can do more than just vote today if you have the time. Contact your local party group or office - Facebook is a good place to start - and see if there's anything you can help with. Even half an hour of your time could be worth votes for your local non-Tory! :)

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ya'll don't want that US healthcare evil. Also, it's creepy reading some of your shit and how similar it is to the garbage we in the US have been going through with Trump. I don't know who is ahead on the shit scale though. Judging by your polls and how conservatives seem to be a clear winner i'd say you're behind. Shit will get bad if it goes wrong.

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
Happy Election Day from East Dunbartonshire. I look forward to voting for the SNP/against Jo Swinson's Liberal Democrats soon. Good luck everyone wherever you are.

Last edited:

Wamapoke

Apr 11, 2018
Thank you Hamrub. Gonna be gutted if she keeps her seat, I've convinced myself the game is up for her.

I'm voting later to maintain Labours 33k majority.

Status
Not open for further replies.