• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
And how the fuck has voting gone down since 2017, that just makes no sense to me I dont like to use the phrase people are idiots but...

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
If there's one silver lining in this quagmire of utter shit, it's that Nigel Farage will, very soon, be completely redundant and tv shows will have no good reason to keep showing his stupid, chinless frog head.

ss1

Oct 27, 2017
Bitterly disappointed. Proud how Scotland voted. Our two SNP votes were not enough to dislodge our Scottish Tory in West Aberdeenshire unfortunately. I have hope for a second IndyRef, but I can't see how it will be obtained with Boris promising to prevent another one being held.

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are you seriously suggesting the guardian is responsible for Corbyn's loss? Just want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly.

Responsible? That's kind of loaded. They certainly share some of the blame. It'd be silly to suggest otherwise. The question is, how much blame do they deserve? Is it sufficient to wish to throw the baby out with the bathwater? I don't think so, but they also just played a non-trivial role in an election that will result in a lot of suffering so even though I disagree with the person you're responding to, I'm not gonna judge them too harshly for being heated right now.

dapperbandit

Oct 30, 2017
Labour don't have to lurch rightwards but what they're doing isn't working. You can't win just by appealing to the London demographic. Traditional support has been slipping away since before Brexit split the vote.

As Johnson conceded in his speech, many of the labour seats that went blue have just been 'lent' to the conservatives, Labour will get them back. But they have to ditch Corbyn and they have to rethink their national strategy.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Labour don't have to lurch rightwards but what they're doing isn't working. You can't win just by appealing to the London demographic. Traditional support has been slipping away since before Brexit split the vote.

As Johnson conceded in his speech, many of the labour seats that went blue have just been 'lent' to the conservatives, Labour will get them back. But they have to ditch Corbyn and they have to rethink their national strategy.
I think the party need to get Keir Starmer in asap. The next year is still going to be dominated by brexit and he knows it better than anyone as well as being a favourite for the job anyway.

I don't think the party need to lurch right either. The next election is going to look totally different.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I like Corbyn but he should have passed the baton on a year ago, just too much baggage that made him an easy target for opponents in and out of the party.

But there is no point rushing to replace him now, Boris is in for a full term and god knows what the country will need doing by the time he is finished with it.

Deleted member 3196

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If there's one silver lining in this quagmire of utter shit, it's that Nigel Farage will, very soon, be completely redundant and tv shows will have no good reason to keep showing his stupid, chinless frog head.
He said he's going to campaign for constitutional reform next (such as ditching the House of Lords), so expect to see him for many years to come.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a Conservative voter but I try and read a wide variety of sources for news to avoid this problem. I post and read here, on 4chan, The Telegraph, The Guardian, FT, The Times, and The Independent. I'm sure I'm in the minority on this site and that's fine by me, but engaging and reading a wide range of opinions, often times going out of my "comfort zone" has certainly helped my world view and opened my eyes to issues I may have glossed over before.

is there a side story to this? Or was he banned because he admitted being a conservative? Seriously asking.

MLH

Oct 26, 2017
With all the reports of high turnout and queues at polling stations I'm shocked that turnout appears down...
I think I need a break from all this - it's not good for my health...

ss1

Oct 27, 2017
I think the party need to get Keir Stammer in asap. The next year is still going to be dominated by brexit and he knows it better than anyone as well as being a favourite for the job anyway.

Keir Stammer would be my choice for Labour leader as well. But any Labour leader will have a very difficult task to pick up the pieces. I can easily see the Tories winning the next election as well.

savageturnip

Oct 28, 2017

Absolutely no chance - His new agenda will be to hold the government to account on any trade deals and negotiations they make, once they open up any sort of immigration as part of a trade deal he'll be registering the new party immediately.

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wales is a relatively poor region and receives a lot of EU funding. Together with Cornwall they are the only region to be classified as a 'less developed region' by the EU in the UK hence they qualify for Objective One funding. Historically the region has massively voted Labour. However Wales also voted for Brexit and the Tories have made a lot of gains there this election.

Thanks. Shame to hear about the direction they're sliding towards. Hopefully my Welsh friends can relocate to Scotland and jump ship with the Scots.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Here's one problem I see straight away: you used the word "them".

And why do you assume they all want to say "fuck you" to brown people? Sure, some do, but we can ignore those ones and focus on the others.

Political manifestos shouldn't be written for the working class, they should be written BY the working class.

If Corbynism and New Labour had only one thing in common, it was this: both the 1997 and 2019 manifestos gave off an image that they had been written by inner city cosmopolitan elites.... because that's exactly who wrote them.

The second referendum was a classic example - that policy wasn't cooked up by a voter in Sunderland, it was cooked up by some dickhead in London who didn't want to accept the result. What happened? The working class voters simply just said "why didn't you fuckers respect our brexit vote in the first place?", and voted Tory.

A good start might be to simply ask these people "where do you want to see your town economically in ten years?", get rid of any racist crap, and go from there. Bring some of them into the economic discussion about what they want.

I'm not white middle aged working class, so yes, I said them. I'm not stupid, I know my situation isn't the same as them and why should it? It's like expecting the white middle aged working class to be able to empathise with POCs. But the bare minimum I expect is that society will try to also think about minorities, which doesn't happen. They don't give a fuck.

If the UK votes to stab itself in the foot, is it sensible to run on a platform of "we will immediately stab ourselves in the foot if elected"? Yes, leave won the referendum and I'm not going to go over that again because somehow a non binding vague referendum result became gospel, but Johnson didn't bring anything other than 'get Brexit done' to the table. What the fuck is wrong with negotiating a better deal then putting it to the people? How is this something cooked up by some dickhead in London?

It's easy to go "why didn't you fuckers respect our Brexit vote in the first place" when there isn't one fucking answer. By being vague about what it is, it means that the Tories are being just as mendacious.

If the argument is that the Labour Party should try the same bait and switch tactics as the Tories to get in power then I don't want to vote for that leadership.

"Where do you want to see your town economically in ten years" what sort of question is that? If someone answers "yeah I want to torpedo the local economy just to get the browns out" is that something you want to take on board?

I don't care if Sunderland voted Tory because they promised to clamp down on minorities and the poor, you don't entertain that notion because you're pandering to fascism. You look at the underlying issues, which is lack of job opportunities, lack of investment and lack of infrastructure and address them.

Labour did, the Tories didn't.

Some of you have to accept that your dickhead voter in Sunderland is a fascist Little Englander and some of those dickheads in London are people of colour who now don't feel welcome in their own country. It's funny how no one ever thinks about us. No one ever talks about minorities because our vote doesn't matter. The closest it came in this election is the stoking of Hindu nationalism by the Tories, which should give you your answer about the notion of policies being out of touch.

Carl2291

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope.

He was on one of the election shows last night saying that he was considering a new party once Brexit is complete, all about reform.

Deleted member 33082

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I sympathize with all UK'ers who didn't want this shit happening.

IMO, maybe everyone in the UK who hates this needs to start a revolution against their government like the citizens of Hong Kong & South Korea did, or move to either Northern Ireland or Scotland. It'll be the only way to send a message that corrupted, right-wing bullshit won't be tolerated.
Lol you'll see hell freeze before the English start a revolution over anything

Chas Hodges

Nov 7, 2017
Given the palpable concern shown during the election campaign against the left, I assume Tory voters will now scrutinise and challenge intolerance in their newly elected Conservative MPs and party members? For example the two candidates (now elected representatives) who as of yesterday were still under party investigation for antisemitism, and Johnson's own father who was booed and heckled during the election coverage on C4 last night for his outright islamophobia?

I assume when Conservative manifesto promises regarding nurses, hospitals, policing, etc either a) turn out to be untrue, or b) costs billions more than forecast causing another cycle of austerity, local MPs will be challenged by their electorate, and Johnson will be pilloried across the press?

I take it those who voted Tory under the premise that we would be out of Europe, done and dusted, by the end of January will focus their ire on Johnson and co when we're still negotiating trade arrangements well into the new decade?

ruttyboy

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not going to engage in the aftermath of the disaster here as it's frankly too depressing and I need to start planning how my family and I GTFO. I will however say this.

A collective and never ending, "Fuck off!" to anyone who lays this at the feet of anyone other than the people who voted Tory. It is not a politician's job to trick you into voting for your own interests and they can't be blamed for 'not being convincing enough'. If the facts are laid before you, as they were in this case, it is the voter's responsibility to look at the evidence available and decide for themselves.

Sincere best of luck to Scotland and Ireland in their struggle for independence, it is clear that they are culturally (and politically) distinct from England and should be treated as such.

Lastbroadcast

Jul 6, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Assumes there's anything other than racist crap. How long have people complained about EU migrant workers stealing "their" jobs, for example? In a very real way, large portions of the UK are straight-up xenophobic when it comes to employment and the economy.

Instead of "assuming", maybe you should go out and speak to these people?

This is why comments like "the deplorables" are just so counter-productive - because it tars everyone with the same brush. NO town or city is homogenous in its views and attitudes. But people tend to close ranks if you do that, even the ones who might be sympathetic to you.

Look - I get it. I have doorknocked in marginal seats for Labour in Australia, and I've had some rather... how can we say... "unpleasant" conversations.

But you know what? The ones I have unpleasant conversations with, even in a right wing area, are not the majority. The overwhelming majority of people just want to talk about how you are going to make their lives better - how to bring jobs, fix their schools... even to just fix a local pothole in the street.

You'd see this for yourself if you got out of your echo chambers and went out and knocked on doors.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Absolutely no chance - His new agenda will be to hold the government to account on any trade deals and negotiations they make, once they open up any sort of immigration as part of a trade deal he'll be registering the new party immediately.

He could barely keep his troops in line for this election, brexit done and he is done, half his party have what they want on tax haven rules etc, he will never get that support again.

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Must have been real hard work for Labour on the doorsteps.
yeah but they've been saying it for a while.

the real trick now is going to be finding a leader that isn't despised on the doorstep and someone people will actually go knock doors for.

If Labour can do that it will be alright. They've never had so many members and volunteers but will they stick around? I hope so.

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Given the palpable concern shown during the election campaign against the left, I assume Tory voters will now scrutinise and challenge intolerance in their newly elected Conservative MPs and party members? For example the two candidates (now elected representatives) who as of yesterday were still under party investigation for antisemitism, and Johnson's own father who was booed and heckled during the election coverage on C4 last night for his outright islamophobia?

I assume when Conservative manifesto promises regarding nurses, hospitals, policing, etc either a) turns out to be untrue, or b) costs billions more than forecast causing another cycle of austerity, local MPs will be challenged by their electorate, and Johnson will be pilloried across the press?

I take it those who voted Tory under the premise that we would be out of Europe, done and dusted, by the end of January will focus their ire on Johnson and co when we're still negotiating trade arrangements well into the new decade?

preach

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Are you seriously suggesting the guardian is responsible for Corbyn's loss? Just want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly.

The Guardian have spent almost 5 years banging on about how crap and unviable he is from the leadership campaign, signal boosting all the smears and a steady stream of opinion pieces about how he has to go.

They're as culpable as the rest of the media and I wouldn't be sad to see them go. Aside from David Conn, they can all fuck off as far as I'm concerned.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
Bitterly disappointed. Proud how Scotland voted. Our two SNP votes were not enough to dislodge our Scottish Tory in West Aberdeenshire unfortunately. I have hope for a second IndyRef, but I can't see how it will be obtained with Boris promising to prevent another one being held.
Yes, because if Boris promises something, he's known for holding fast to his promises. Come the next election, Scotland will provide an almost guaranteed 50 seats towards a progressive coalition. I can promise you that Boris is already working on how to get Scottish independence without taking the blame for it.

twofold

Oct 28, 2017
Responsible? That's kind of loaded. They certainly share some of the blame. It'd be silly to suggest otherwise. The question is, how much blame do they deserve? Is it sufficient to wish to throw the baby out with the bathwater? I don't think so, but they also just played a non-trivial role in an election that will result in a lot of suffering so even though I disagree with the person you're responding to, I'm not gonna judge them too harshly for being heated right now.

Share of the blame for what? What do you think they need to apologise for?

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
I work for a council which is obviously normally a very labour place but the amount of people who have said this morning "I quite like Boris, a lot more than that Corbyn that's for sure" is staggering.

It's totally anecdotal of course

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry but this is bullshit, people in rural England still interact with society, they aren't unreachable to the left because they don't listen to stormzy or read the guardian. You can't change their minds in 6 weeks before an election, you can over a longer period of time, you just have to find the right way to do it.
Pretend you hate brown people as much as they do?

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I work for a council which is obviously normally a very labour place but the amount of people who have said this morning "I quite like Boris, a lot more than that Corbyn that's for sure" is staggering.

People were like that in London as well, it does wear off, he's actually going to make decisions and choices frome now on, not being able to do anything kinda worked in his favour.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017

Anyone who says that... just idk.

Corbyn has always appeared genuine for better or worse.

Boris puts on an act, tries to seem like "one of the people" and "That lovable goofball" while also saying he reads what was it, greek poetry? To try and appear cultured.

While also saying such hateful racist things.

*sigh*

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Sorry but this is bullshit, people in rural England still interact with society, they aren't unreachable to the left because they don't listen to stormzy or read the guardian. You can't change their minds in 6 weeks before an election, you can over a longer period of time, you just have to find the right way to do it.
Well the Tories have, by having the media do their propaganda work for them 24/7. Difficult to compete with that.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Anyone who says that... just idk.

Corbyn has always appeared genuine for better or worse.

Boris puts on an act, tries to seem like "one of the people" and "That lovable goofball" while also saying he reads what was it, greek poetry? To try and appear cultured.

While also saying such hateful racist things.

*sigh*
These people were terrified of Corbyn. For many the primary drive for voting Tory against their own interest was to not have him in power. Infuriating.

twofold

Oct 28, 2017
The Guardian have spent almost 5 years banging on about how crap and unviable he is from the leadership campaign, signal boosting all the smears and a steady stream of opinion pieces about how he has to go.

They're as culpable as the rest of the media and I wouldn't be sad to see them go. Aside from David Conn, they can all fuck off as far as I'm concerned.

Were they wrong? Cos the result today seems to vindicate what they've been saying.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Were they wrong? Cos the result today seems to vindicate what they were saying.

DvrZEfpXgAAajjw.jpg

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I can smell corruption and scandal in the air with this lot, the nutters in the cabinet won't be able to help themselves.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Instead of "assuming", maybe you should go out and speak to these people?

This is why comments like "the deplorables" are just so counter-productive - because it tars everyone with the same brush. NO town or city is homogenous in its views and attitudes. But people tend to close ranks if you do that, even the ones who might be sympathetic to you.

Look - I get it. I have doorknocked in marginal seats for Labour in Australia, and I've had some rather... how can we say... "unpleasant" conversations.

But you know what? The ones I have unpleasant conversations with, even in a right wing area, are not the majority. The overwhelming majority of people just want to talk about how you are going to make their lives better - how to bring jobs, fix their schools... even to just fix a local pothole in the street.

You'd see this for yourself if you got out of your echo chambers and went out and knocked on doors.
They voted for a bigot, for a party that caused Windrush and didn't give a shit about Grenfell. They either are bigoted themselves or fine with voting for one, both are the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.