• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
People were like that in London as well, it does wear off, he's actually going to make decisions and choices frome now on, not being able to do anything kinda worked in his favour.
Yea I lived in London from 2003 to 2015 so remember vividly sadly. I tried to tell people but no one listened :/

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
Corbyn should go, the quicker the better. Momentum types need to humble themselves, there could be a place for them in the party but they need to come across as less abrasive, accept that the party went too far to the left for the British public. Labour needs to change the way they operate now, they need to be open to doing deals when in the GE with the LibDems and Greens, standing down in constituencies where they split the vote.

Masquerader

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Unionists got a reality check. The English don't give a damn about NI.

Us Nationalists have been trying to tell everyone that for many, MANY years. Only now is it finally sinking in to the heads of the "moderate" Unionists who spent years literally ignoring us. Ah well. Reap what ya sow and all that. Shame the psycho Unionists will stay loyal 'til the bitter end.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I don't have much sympathy for people who have already forgotten about Windrush, Grenfell and want to leave the European Union. Being delusional is not an excuse anymore in the digital age.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
The country is simply never going to suddenly lean to the left, those who insist on someone like Corbyn need to realise it isn't going to happen. You can yell Blarite and blue-Labour all you want but its a fact. It has to be gradual or it will never happen.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
The country is simply never going to suddenly lean to the left, those who insist on someone like Corbyn need to realise it isn't going to happen. You can yell Blarite and blue-Labour all you want but its a fact. It has to be gradual or it will never happen.

This argument falls down when you consider that New Labour helped facilitate the transition to Cameron's Tories.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I can get an Italian passport, but it would be a massive pain in the arse

Wouldn't go to Italy, not in its current state. That looks to be going downhill faster then we are. You are far better off in Scotland where you currently are, Scotland will go independent. Just not for a good few years. Cons will offer more devolution powers

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Was that majority on the end of the spectrum of worst scenario? because holy shit that's huge. How did conservatives get this much when they have been incompetent in accomplishing anything?

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Pretend you hate brown people as much as they do?
Classy. Comments like this don't help anything. Maybe I should pretend I'm better for living in a village, and townies are all suits who wish to work in London and love money above all else?

This was not a rural/urban divide. This was a disgusting election with a record amount of misinformation campaigns, and two of the most unpopular party leaders in a generation or two, with a ridiculous voting system forcing the country to choose which of the two shit sandwiches they want to eat for the next half decade. I'm really proud of communities like this doing their best to kick out the Tories, and I'm even more proud of my constituency (Canterbury) remaining the only Labour seat in Kent. But let's not pretend the writing hasn't been on the wall for a long time with Corbyn. I may not approve of Tory voters, but I'm also not ignorant enough to pretend they don't have valid concerns with Labour's current state, and must therefore all be racists.

offshore

Oct 27, 2017
UK
How did conservatives get this much when they have been incompetent in accomplishing anything?
Because the alternative was Jeremy Corbyn.

The British public did not want or like Corbyn, and some people's refusal to accept that - even after the most cataclysmic Labour performance for nearly a century - is kinda staggering.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
I would take early new Labour and then push left over time instead, it doesn't have to keep the Blair element that fucked the party up eventually.

Okay but is there any guarantee that this centrist leader would drift left considering the objective they're starting with is 'get a majority'?

repeater

Oct 27, 2017
<Football chant>

Ohhhhhhhh Jeremy Coooooooorbyyyyn
Ohhhhhhhhhh Jeremy Coooooooorbyynnnn

<\football chant>

No?

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017

Yep. The results in Northern Ireland are going to get overlooked now that NI is back to being irrelevant in terms of parliamentary mathematics. However, for the past few years unionists have been watching Conservatives say how much they care about the Union and Northern Ireland, and this next parliamentary term is going to give those same unionists front-row seats to a demonstration of what they already know - that all those nice words were just lies.

In 2020 and beyond, the only government concerned about the place of unionists within Northern Ireland will be the one in Dublin.

The Scottish Referendum caused Brexit in my view. If we'd never had that stupid in-out referendum the tories would never have had the hubris to do the Brexit one.
UKIP were a constant pain to the Conservatives. There would have been a referendum eventually. The No victory in the Scottish referendum certainly emboldened Cameron, and probably made him miscalculate, but UKIP weren't going to be ignored indefinitely.

The only way to avoid an in-out referendum on the EU might have been a Yes victory in the Scottish referendum. That would have guaranteed a Cameron resignation, and put any thoughts of big constitutional change in the UK to one side as out dealt with the split.

Lastbroadcast

Jul 6, 2018
Sydney, Australia
"Where do you want to see your town economically in ten years" what sort of question is that? If someone answers "yeah I want to torpedo the local economy just to get the browns out" is that something you want to take on board?

I don't care if Sunderland voted Tory because they promised to clamp down on minorities and the poor, you don't entertain that notion because you're pandering to fascism. You look at the underlying issues, which is lack of job opportunities, lack of investment and lack of infrastructure and address them.

Labour did, the Tories didn't.

Some of you have to accept that your dickhead voter in Sunderland is a fascist Little Englander and some of those dickheads in London are people of colour who now don't feel welcome in their own country. It's funny how no one ever thinks about us. No one ever talks about minorities because our vote doesn't matter. The closest it came in this election is the stoking of Hindu nationalism by the Tories, which should give you your answer about the notion of policies being out of touch.

A working class northern voter, living in a small town, who hasn't seen a payrise for decades, who watched jobs and industries destroyed in their communities, probably feels like their vote is never taken seriously either. And the one time that they did express that (by voting for Brexit), the political class ignored them for three years.

There is no question that your vote is not taken as seriously as a white person - on that I agree. And I completely understand why you feel upset, even threatened. It's not nice. I don't want any person of colour to feel like that in their own country - and that includes my own partner.

I also believe strongly that your rights will only ever have a chance of being respected if a centre-left party finds a way to win.

There's an assumption going on here that Labour will need to win the votes of outright racists to win an election. That isn't true - not even now.

You are making three very broad brushed assumptions:

1. That every Northern voter "didn't know what they were voting for" when they voted for Brexit, and so everyone needed to do it again - which is just a nicer way of saying that they were domasses who needed to vote again until they "got it right

2. That every brexit voter and 2019 Tory voter was a so called "fascist little Englander" - which is simply not true, even though I completely understand why you would feel that way.

3. That the ones that are not racist will never come back and vote Labour, so we should lump them in with the actual racists and forget about them.

I believe strongly that these broad brushed assumptions, even now in this dark time - are wrong. I have to believe it - because if I am wrong, then labour will never win an election, and your rights will never be respected. I refuse to give in and I refuse to believe it.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
Classy. Comments like this don't help anything. Maybe I should pretend I'm better for living in a village, and townies are all suits who wish to work in London and love money above all else?

This was not a rural/urban divide. This was a disgusting election with a record amount of misinformation campaigns, and two of the most unpopular party leaders in a generation or two, with a ridiculous voting system forcing the country to choose which of the two shit sandwiches they want to eat for the next half decade. I'm really proud of communities like this doing their best to kick out the Tories, and I'm even more proud of my constituency (Canterbury) remaining the only Labour seat in Kent. But let's not pretend the writing hasn't been on the wall for a long time with Corbyn. I may not approve of Tory voters, but I'm also not ignorant enough to pretend they don't have valid concerns with Labour's current state, and must therefore all be racists.
If you look the other way when presented with a racist candidate, you're a racist in my book.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Okay but is there any guarantee that this centrist leader would drift left considering the objective they're starting with is 'get a majority'?

It depends if the leader is actually a centrist or just not scaring it away. I just don't like the new Labour project being seen as the invention of Tony Blair, he took it over and fucked it. There was good stuff in there he didn't like.

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretend you hate brown people as much as they do?

I used to know an Indian and Somalian guy who voted for Brexit because too many Polish people were coming into the country according to them.

It's not just skin colour, Eastern Europeans and East Asian people both face a lot of discrimination and I get the impression some people are using what is happening in China as an excuse to be racist.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I used to know an Indian and Somalian guy who voted for Brexit because too many Polish people were coming into the country.

It's not just skin colour, Eastern Europeans and East Asian people both face a lot of discrimination and I get the impression some people are using what is happening in China as an excuse to be racist.

Divide and conquer.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
in the 2030 election the tories will still be blaming the last labour government

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Watching Gardner and McDonnell last night was a sorry sight. Gardner looked genuinely shell shocked, like his soul had been ripped out.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I'm leaning toward Sir Keir Starmer next Labour Leader, I don't know too much about him, but from what I've seen and heard:

- Looks like a cross between a Kingsman and the T-800
- Must share at least some of Corbyn's politics because he was appointed by Corbyn
- At the same time is a critic of Corbyn's leadership tactics so there's room to win over (some) of the anti-Corbyn crowds
- Human Right's defence QC so must care about people surely?
- Is a Knight (Sir) so monarchists can't complain that he won't watch the Queen's speech

NINTCHDBPICT000317937249-e1570928602678.jpg

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope devolution is enough to protect Scotland from the worst of what Boris is going to do but I have no faith in that. He has a majority large enough do fuck with anything now.

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
I'm leaning toward Sir Keir Starmer next Labour Leader, I don't know too much about him, but from what I've seen and heard:

- Must share at least some of Corbyn's politics because he was appointed by Corbyn
- At the same time is a critic of Corbyn's leadership tactics so there's room to win over (some) of the anti-Corbyn crowds
- Is a Knight (Sir) so monarchists can't complain that he won't watch the Queen's speech

You want the most pro-remain MP we've got to lead now?

Maybe after Brexit

He has great hair

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
A working class northern voter, living in a small town, who hasn't seen a payrise for decades, who watched jobs and industries destroyed in their communities, probably feels like their vote is never taken seriously either. And the one time that they did express that (by voting for Brexit), the political class ignored them for three years.

There is no question that your vote is not taken as seriously as a white person - on that I agree. And I completely understand why you feel upset, even threatened. It's not nice. I don't want any person of colour to feel like that in their own country - and that includes my own partner.

I also believe strongly that your rights will only ever have a chance of being respected if a centre-left party finds a way to win.

There's an assumption going on here that Labour will need to win the votes of outright racists to win an election. That isn't true - not even now.

You are making three very broad brushed assumptions:

1. That every Northern voter "didn't know what they were voting for" when they voted for Brexit, and so everyone needed to do it again - which is just a nicer way of saying that they were domasses who needed to vote again until they "got it right

2. That every brexit voter and 2019 Tory voter was a so called "fascist little Englander" - which is simply not true, even though I completely understand why you would feel that way.

3. That the ones that are not racist will never come back and vote Labour, so we should lump them in with the actual racists and forget about them.

I believe strongly that these broad brushed assumptions, even now in this dark time - are wrong. I have to believe it - because if I am wrong, then labour will never win an election, and your rights will never be respected. I refuse to give in and I refuse to believe it.

Sorry but I lived in Liverpool and they have the same excuses as the rest of the north to vote Tory and overwhelmingly reject it (apart from the wools but you can't do anything about them).

This is Boris Johnson, this is the party of Windrush and Grenfell. There is zero chance he will do anything to help minorities or the poor. The country is full of racist idiots, it's exactly the same concept as America's 'economic anxiety' excuse for Trump voters. The Right is on the rise around the world because people want to hear that yes they are special and no it's not their fault and if we just go back to how things were before human rights and those pesky foreigners showed up then we'll be Great Again.

The reason I won't agree with you is that the way the rhetoric is framed. I'm not saying the racists will never vote Labour, I'm saying it shouldn't be on their terms. If you move over to meet the Tories when you've basically lost. This is why I'm so angry at centrists, their whole ideology is built on maintaining the status quo and tweaking around the edges. When the Tories keep shifting the status quo back over to pitting white people against minorities to scare them into thinking that the elites are on their side, you can't do more than offer to solve their underlying problems without addressing the racial motivation.

I'm not even a hardcore remainer, I understand that the EU is problematic and that neoliberalism has left behind huge chunks of the country.

But again, that is never an excuse for voting for racists. There are always other options and Labour presented one similar to the SNP south of the border but got smashed.

What does that suggest if not a bigotry vote?

It depends if the leader is actually a centrist or just not scaring it away. I just don't like the new Labour project being seen as the invention of Tony Blair, he took it over and fucked it. There was good stuff in there he didn't like.

Well given the wing of the party trying to reposition Labour in his image, I don't have a lot of hope that it's not going to be another dose of Blairism.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So Jo Swinson resigned, kinda surprised she did to be honest even with the poor result.

Shame there is still Tory wins in Scotland, were they close?

BAW

Oct 27, 2017

OMG what a handsome dude

Status
Not open for further replies.