• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Streamlined

alt account
Banned
Sep 16, 2019
The Lib Dems accepting a total fucking loser like Sam Gyimah is alway going to be funny to me.
What are the LD offering for any of those things?

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
In all honesty I don't know. Is it relatively normal for a government to buy people's shareholdings but only pay them a fraction of what they are actually worth? What are the legal ramifications?

When Railtrack was taken back into state control the shareholders had to prove misfeasance of public office, so there are protections.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
When Railtrack was taken back into state control the shareholders had to prove misfeasance of public office, so there are protections.

Yeah that sounds like a rather different situation to what is being proposed. Taking a failing company into national ownership is very different to taking a thriving one into national ownership.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Had missed that the BBC came out with another terrible excuse for their coverage

The BBC can fuck off. Constant miss-use of the word Communism over the years inching the propaganda further forward that Corbyn, let alone Labour, even have anything to do with actual Communism.

It's a disgrace.

Thankfully internally in Scotland you don't actually hear that shit much if ever. No one calls the SNP Communists and I don't even know a single Tory up here (I know a few) who calls Corbyn a communist.

It's American Republican propaganda and for whatever reason, the English establishment seems to be embracing it.

Also, the Lib Dems are just orange Tories, there, said it. Trust Jo Swinson at your own peril.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
The BBC can fuck off. Constant miss-use of the word Communism over the years inching the propaganda further forward that Corbyn, let alone Labour, even have anything to do with actual Communism.

It's a disgrace.

Thankfully internally in Scotland you don't actually hear that shit much if ever. No one calls the SNP communists and I don't even know a single Tory up here (I know a few) who calls Corbyn a communist.

It's American Republican propaganda and for whatever reason, the English establishment seems to be embracing it.

Because the American system is fucking amazing*

*if you happen to be the one profiting from it

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Yeah that sounds like a rather different situation to what is being proposed. Taking a failing company into national ownership is very different to taking a thriving one into national ownership.

No, as long as the public official is doing something without intent to cause harm, say building a motorway or runway that crashes the value of someones property then it's okay. which is why their case failed against the labour government. i don't see the problems with it that you do, it's fairly well established law, it has to be legal and done properly and nationalisation isn't a new concept.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Because the American system is fucking amazing*

*if you happen to be the one profiting from it

Remember, everything slightly left of the centre is full-blown Communism.

We need Tony Blair back to restore balance.

Corbyn "How about we try many things differently than the current broken system that's been chugging along for over a decade?"

BBC "COMMUNISM!"

ruttyboy

Oct 29, 2017
Can't they just say they're going to buy all the shares at 1/10 their current value, then as they are literal scary Communists who will kill anyone who doesn't bend to the state's will, the price will crash to 1/10 their starting value, then they can buy them for their cheap, but real, value fair and square. "Investments can decrease in value" etc. etc. etc..

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Can confirm working in Tech that BT have been taking the piss for years now and a good kick up the backside is what's needed. I hope the higher ups are shitting themselves.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Can't they just say they're going to buy all the shares at 1/10 their current value, then as they are literal scary Communists who will kill anyone who doesn't bend to the state's will, the price will crash to 1/10 their starting value, then they can buy them for their cheap, but real, value fair and square. "Investments can decrease in value" etc. etc. etc..

People who own the shares can see the opposition policy and sell now or take the risk and keep/buy them.
I'm not sure what i would do to be honest if i had any money invested, Corbyn might pull a blinder.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
This seems absolutely fucking mental to me to be honest. Yes there are a lot of issues with the way the stock market work but the notion that you can take people's shares and pay them (potentially far, far) less than they are worth sounds crazy. Surely that's an administrative nightmare, a legal nightmare and an ethical nightmare all rolled up into one? Pretty much everyone is invested in the stock market (say via pensions) - is it really legitimate to obliterate the value of those shares? I can't see how this will go down well politically. It will be very difficult to only hit the bad guys on this.

(for what it's worth, I'd like to be persuaded different, I'm pro nationalisation, just not sure this is the right way to go about it)
Really?

Seems mental that we offered - say - the water industry up to the private sector debt-free at the taxpayer's expense, only for them to put up bills above inflation, run up MORE debt than when it was nationalised (this is adjusted for inflation too), suck out billions in dividends on exploiting a natural monopoly, let the system rot with enough water for 20 million people being lost to leaks per day, and never really provide the increased investment we were promised privatisation would bring (2018 had less investment than 1990).

Not to mention the Conservatives quite literally starved the nationalised Regional Water Authorities of their ability to borrow money for capital projects to make the case for selling it off, or that they actually covered up a mass water poisoning incident in 1988 to protect privatisation (which was in turn caused by reduced staffing levels thanks to said plans).

We'll have to see what the details are in the Labour manifesto, but under no circumstances should the shareholders be given an easy ride to a fat payout, considering the profits from the water industry have routinely ended up back in their pockets at the expense of the system and the public.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
privatise the profit, nationalise the risk.

If we as a country are going to put billions at these monopolies why not just own them? The German state own more of BT and our rail network than we do.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
What TV news do people recommend for non-bootlicking election coverage? The "broadband communism" nonsense seems to be the straw that broke the camel's back for my mum re: the BBC (though she's hated Laura K for a long time). Channel 4?

ronpontelle

Oct 27, 2017
This is the thing about debating politics, online or in person or whatever. Whenever you say that nationalising infrastructure and utilities will save the country billions and also have untold secondary benefits to the nation, the retort is always that it can't be true and because you don't have an exhaustive financial plan then you're just chatting bubbles and trolling the sensible adults who are discussing how we're going to fuck the young to afford pensions.

It's good to see solid numbers but it's just so fucking obvious - the market works by generating profits and those can only come from either fleecing customers (the public) or cutting investment (stunting infrastructure). Take out the profit making factor and make the only aim the benefit of society and you automatically have a better system.

It's like those gobshites who argue for health insurance as some kind of beacon of efficiency when it's not the case anywhere.

So yeah, good to see this come out but everyone who was arguing otherwise is a fuckwit anyway.
What I always hear is what a state the nationalised industries were in in the 70s and 80s.

Conveniently avoiding the issue of underinvestment and poor management (unions usually get the blame) and that plenty of traditional state owned services in the UK, like rail and power, are run by successful foreign state owned companies.

Run the services into the ground through lack of investment and then say the only way to save them is private sector competition.

It's going to take some pretty huge steps to repair the shite this country has been subjected to in the last thirty or forty years, but yeah... it's all communism of course.

ruttyboy

Oct 29, 2017
People who own the shares can see the opposition policy and sell now or take the risk and keep/buy them.
I'm not sure what i would do to be honest if i had any money invested, Corbyn might pull a blinder.
I meant more once they'd begun their reign of terror on the moneyed classes. As in, they get into power and then say, on this date in six months, we will be buying all those shares at this price, come six months time that's what the share price will be :)

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Can confirm working in Tech that BT have been taking the piss for years now and a good kick up the backside is what's needed. I hope the higher ups are shitting themselves.

If they're anything like the bankers, right now they'll be smugly laughing as it's expected constant Tory rule will prevail in the end and keep the status quo.

Virgin Media also reacted badly, with spokesman James Lusher tweeting a gif of a raccoon stealing food from a cat bowl with the words: "This is mine."

A statement from the company said: "Private investment is essential to delivering improved broadband infrastructure.

"Government policy has a role to play and can help to accelerate broadband deployment in a way that minimises the level of public subsidy needed and provides the UK and consumers with incredible connectivity within a competitive market."

The companies take the piss. They believe they are untouchable.

Take from the pockets of the people, barely pay any proper taxes to support the economies they operate in, act like the Mafia if anyone comes knocking suggesting change is needed.

If the British people weren't such fucking morons they'd vote for any sort of go at proper change in this country. I'll extend that to Americans thinking Bernie fucking Sanders is a radical/Communist too. Turkeys voting for Christmas. It's always sizeable numbers of the actual working class who keep voting to hurt themselves (Ignore any actual rich people voting on the basis of fuck you, got mine. They'll never be reached. Money corrupts many for life).

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
What TV news do people recommend for non-bootlicking election coverage? The "broadband communism" nonsense seems to be the straw that broke the camel's back for my mum re: the BBC (though she's hated Laura K for a long time). Channel 4?

My mum's been watching C4 news for a while now and says it's better. I check out stuff on their website sometimes.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017

Channel 4 is probably better than anything you can get realistically on telly but their coverage will always be more limited than the other channels for obvious reasons. Dispatches has always been good too.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Only really Channel 4 nowadays that are impartial. BBC are going (gone?) down the shitter.

If they're anything like the bankers, right now they'll be smugly laughing as it's expected constant Tory rule will prevail in the end and keep the status quo.

The companies take the piss. They believe they are untouchable.

Take from the pockets of the people, barely pay any proper taxes to support the economies they operate in, act like the Mafia if anyone comes knocking suggesting change is needed.

If the British people weren't such fucking morons they'd vote for any sort of go at proper change in this country. I'll extend that to Americans thinking Bernie fucking Sanders is a radical/Communist too. Turkeys voting for Christmas. It's always sizeable numbers of the actual working class who keep voting to hurt themselves (Ignore any actual rich people voting on the basis of fuck you, got mine. They'll never be reached. Money corrupts many for life).

Yep, I know as much. I've worked for fuckers like that with that kind of mentality. It's actually shocking how many right wingers (Tories) work in Tech at all levels, in both public and private sectors, honestly. Especially in private sector, such bootlicking and laziness abound by those in high level office jobs. Such smug and self important attitudes as displayed there are sadly pretty common. BT have been dragging their heels for years now with their projects (which are badly planned, badly communicated and badly implemented).

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Only really Channel 4 nowadays that are impartial. BBC are going (gone?) down the shitter.

Yep, I know as much. I've worked for fuckers like that with that kind of mentality. It's actually shocking how many right wingers (Tories) work in Tech at all levels, in both public and private sectors, honestly. Especially in private sector, such bootlicking and laziness abound by those in high level office jobs. Such smug and self important attitudes as displayed there are sadly pretty common. BT have been dragging their heels for years now with their projects (which are badly planned, badly communicated and badly implemented).

Complacency, your best friend when... there is no real need to do any better. Virgin Media initially responding by using a fucking gif on Twitter shows you all you need to know about the feeling of invincibility these companies enjoy under Tory reign.

The tech private sector is a minefield of madness.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Virgin Media initially responding by using a fucking gif on Twitter shows you all you need to know about the feeling of invincibility these companies enjoy under Tory reign.

I just discovered who owns the company, i don't know how i missed that one. i shall be fucking off from using them very shortly. I thought it was bad enough when Branson was the leech. i pray for British broadband to come true.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
I just discovered who owns the company, i don't know how i missed that one. i shall be fucking off from using them very shortly. I thought it was bad enough when Branson was the leech. i pray for British broadband to come true.

Yeah, Liberty Global bought them a few years back

Virgin Media has accepted a $23.3bn (£15bn) takeover by American cable tycoon John Malone's Liberty Global in a deal that threatens to topple Rupert Murdoch's dominance of pay television by creating Europe's largest broadband business.

The new company will have its headquarters in the UK, and serve 25 million customers in 14 countries including Germany, Belgium, Switzerland and the Netherlands. Virgin will retain its brand, but the chief executive, Neil Berkett, will step down when the merger concludes.

More fat cats buying up everything and then running screaming when the bad communist man suggests any attempt at nationalisation. Vote Tory instead, keep things how they are! Thank you very much.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017

BT Openreach is a failing company.

They have failed to meet targets for broadband rollout. Failed to invest in their work force or infrastructure.

Bring on BROADBAND COMMUNISM

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Had missed that the BBC came out with another terrible excuse for their coverage

I'll be honest, the 'outrage' over the 'communist broadband' thing is fucking stupid.

People are just making shit up now.

Air quotes aren't a new thing. There's cynicism and scrutiny of a media organisation, and there's whatever has been happening lately.

feels very similar to what the right do with media that doesn't fawn over them

Here we have an interview, with a claim regarding a policy put to a politician, to which she responds and rejects it - and apparently it's evidence of bias.

What's so outrageous about this?

Last edited:

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Branson never owned them, like most Virgin things they just paid him to use his name. Just like trump lol

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Has any country ever offered free broadband access, ever though? Higher taxes on rich people alone won't pay for the maintenance of the system.

There are different ways to do things, so even if Labours pledge got changed/watered down, it could still be done differently

Japan. The government requires local loop unbundling so that new ISPs can emerge without having to rewire the last mile every time. The government also has a 34 percent stake in NTT, one of the major telecoms, and has ordered it to deploy fiber whether or not it shows a profit; broadband is considered a key piece of infrastructure that can't simply be deployed only where it is profitable. The government also subsidizes a third of the cost of all fiber-to-the-home deployments in rural areas, where rolling out new lines can prove terribly expensive. The result is one of the fastest broadband networks in the world at one of the lowest price-per-megabit points anywhere.

France. In France, local loop unbundling was mandated in 1999 (the US ditched similar rules a few years later) and multiple competitors emerged. In December 2007, new fiber rules were promulgated that required all new construction to be compatible with fiber, which is much cheaper to install at the time of construction. The country's policies have been successful enough that competing ISPs like Iliad and Neuf Cegetel are no longer just content to lease their lines but are rolling out their own fiber infrastructure. While fiber ramps up, DSL too remains far above US offerings, providing 20Mbps for around $20 a month using ADSL2+ technology of the kind AT&T is now deploying for U-verse (though in AT&T's version, only part of this is available for Internet access).

Sweden. Sweden was the first European nation to have a broadband policy, and it has sunk $820 million into infrastructure so far. That might not sound like much, but it represents a $30 billion expenditure for a country the size of the US. The Swedish government is now recommending another $500 million to build fiber out further into rural areas, and fiber lines are unbundled to encourage competition.

2008 article - https://arstechnica.com/uncategorized/2008/05/broadband-other-countries-do-it-better-but-how/

BT has been fucking useless (so have our Governments), so even a situation like Japan could help where the Government owns a large share.

The responses to what Corbyn said Labour will do tells you everything you need to know about how the telecommunications industry views this country. Fuck them and embrace any "radical" attempt to do things differently.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Really?

Seems mental that we offered - say - the water industry up to the private sector debt-free at the taxpayer's expense, only for them to put up bills above inflation, run up MORE debt than when it was nationalised (this is adjusted for inflation too), suck out billions in dividends on exploiting a natural monopoly, let the system rot with enough water for 20 million people being lost to leaks per day, and never really provide the increased investment we were promised privatisation would bring (2018 had less investment than 1990).

Not to mention the Conservatives quite literally starved the nationalised Regional Water Authorities of their ability to borrow money for capital projects to make the case for selling it off, or that they actually covered up a mass water poisoning incident in 1988 to protect privatisation (which was in turn caused by reduced staffing levels thanks to said plans).

I agree that the above is wrong. Unpicking the mess still needs to be done in the right way.

We'll have to see what the details are in the Labour manifesto, but under no circumstances should the shareholders be given an easy ride to a fat payout, considering the profits from the water industry have routinely ended up back in their pockets at the expense of the system and the public.

Yes, details matter on this kind of thing for sure. I'm just wary that some of the shareholders aren't the nasty fatcats people are thinking of. To be fair, I recently listened to the Alistair Campbell interview of McDonnell and I'm fairly sure he mentioned that he'd want to protect pension schemes when nationalising.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
Has any country ever offered free broadband access, ever though? Higher taxes on rich people alone won't pay for the maintenance of the system.

Estonia has free public internet.

And many other countries have not sold off their network infrastructure to private firms. Putting private profits before investment has put us in the bottom 3rd of EU countries when it comes to internet speeds

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
To be fair on you, most people don't know. Due to the branding, most of the country will still associate anything Virgin with Branson.

I just remember him from the merger of Telewest and virgin mobile, so he was involved at the start, i just haven't paid attention until the dark clouds of Corbyn's communist internet appeared.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The broadband thing does seem a bit ill-timed considering we now have genuine Openreach competitors rolling out FTTP much faster. BT's monopoly is on borrowed time, and prices are likely to drop a lot.

Oct 27, 2017
London
People NEED to turn out and vote. The country cannot handle another 5 years of conservative government. I'd say the network infrastructure should be nationalised then private companies can buy network space from the government. Australia does it with the National Broadband Network. Rail, power and water should also be public entities.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
The broadband thing does seem a bit ill-timed considering we now have genuine Openreach competitors rolling out FTTP much faster. BT's monopoly is on borrowed time, and prices are likely to drop a lot.

It's a roll of the dice by Corbyn to catch the headlines and try and show Labour is going to shake a lot of things up. We live in an internet-connected world, it's a massive potential change for the future (2030).

I'm sure they knew "Communist Corbyn Broadband HD Remix 3.3 Blu Ray edition" would end up coming from Johnson/The BBC, but it's a calculated gamble that the general public will argue amongst themselves how ridiculous the Corbyn smearing is.

Time will tell if the public will yet again get swayed by the fearmongering that Communist Corbyn is going to personally shuttle in a bus of immigrant terrorists to steal your retail jobs and cause us to need to fire off a Nuke to the Middle East to finish off what Blair started. You know, incoming Daily Mail headline there for you.

Project fear, round... I've fucking lost count.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017

You can't run fibre to the premises if there hasn't been a fibre rollout in your area. There are still huge parts of the country who do not have a Fibre to the Cabinet.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
I'll be honest, the 'outrage' over the 'communist broadband' thing is fucking stupid.

Air quotes aren't a new thing. There's cynicism and scrutiny of a media organisation, and there's whatever has been happening lately.

Here we have an interview, with a claim regarding a policy put to a politician, to which she responds and rejects it - and apparently it's evidence of bias.

Honestly mate I agree with you a lot of the time but sometimes you seem like you're born yesterday. Why would a headline frame the issue, regardless of punctuation. I fucking wonder.

This is that argument I had about marketing yesterday but from the reverse. As a marketing professional let me tell you HOW YOU PRESENT THINGS REALLY MATTERS.

Fuck me. I mean, I can't be the only one who remembers how, in the last few hours in this thread, support for this broadband policy literally doubles in polling depending on how you ask the question?

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can't run fibre to the premises if there hasn't been a fibre rollout in your area. There are still huge parts of the country who do not have a Fibre to the Cabinet.

Yes, and despite all the bluster Openreach have languished in their FTTP rollout, and others like CityFiber are actually doing something about it and giving them the kick up the ass they need.

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017

Because you're framing the issue. If you want to present a neutral piece headline it as such

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017
Also on the TV news issue yeah, C4 is the best you can do probably but bootlicking wise it'll only get you so far

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly mate I agree with you a lot of the time but sometimes you seem like you're born yesterday. Why would a headline frame the issue, regardless of punctuation. I fucking wonder.

This is that argument I had about marketing yesterday but from the reverse. As a marketing professional let me tell you HOW YOU PRESENT THINGS REALLY MATTERS.

Fuck me. I mean, I can't be the only one who remembers how, in the last few hours in this thread, support for this broadband policy literally doubles in polling depending on how you ask the question?

Fair point actually - probably correct to say that the BBC could get away with not having such a tabloid-esque headline for the interview (or any headline for that matter).

I saw the tweet and then wrote that post whilst trying to catch a train, so not the most well thought out post I've ever made.

Probably evidence of me being overly generous to the wider population - I saw nothing wrong with it at first glance - but then I'm also not someone who's liable to get outraged when they see a Labour MP on their tv.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watching people struggle with this is unreal. Imagine if they had proposed the idea of a library and people were like "wait you want to give books away for free? But I buy those on Amazon"

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
What's the most 'reliable' tactical vote site?

I've got friends convinced that they're voting Lib Dem in an attempt to reduce our MP's majority.

First got told that by the BfB one, and then again by another.

I'm pretty suspicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.