• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

War Peaceman

Oct 28, 2017
Regrdless of her other politics, it is hard to object to her desire to end islamophobia in the Tory party. Yes, yes, we all know the fruitlessness of that, but I'm not sure the appropriate response is to mock or criticise her

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Certainly not the most egregious thing she's ever done, but Laura Kuenssberg confidently and energetically explaining shitposting to room full of political journalists, whilst having no idea what it actually means has to emblematic of something.

The fact that no one in the room corrected her is one thing, but actually clipping it and tweeting it out? Hilarious.

Plot twist: they're all doing the podcast version of shitposting and we all fell for it

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Regrdless of her other politics, it is hard to object to her desire to end islamophobia in the Tory party. Yes, yes, we all know the fruitlessness of that, but I'm not sure the appropriate response is to mock or criticise her

No, the appropriate response is to criticise her. She was in the party when Theresa May was Home Secretary and she knows exactly what her party has done for Muslims in Britain. She's scum and I have zero sympathy for her and her crap attempts at rehabilitating herself.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
No, the appropriate response is to criticise her. She was in the party when Theresa May was Home Secretary and she knows exactly what her party has done for Muslims in Britain. She's scum and I have zero sympathy for her and her crap attempts at rehabilitating herself.

She's been fairly consistent on this for some time now.

I'm never going to criticise someone for trying to resolve/call out racism, either.

Benefits everyone if shit like that gets called out, especially when there's a good chance that the party in question will be in government for the next few years.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Just to say that, especially the second tweet. Yeah she's crazy for being a Tory but I'd rather the occasional person speaking up than never at all.

It's not that, I don't trust her motives. What her end goal is, I don't know. She knows she will never get the outcome she wants, so why is she now looking for attention from the public.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
She's been fairly consistent on this for some time now.

I'm never going to criticise someone for trying to resolve/call out racism, either.

Benefits everyone if shit like that gets called out, especially when there's a good chance that the party in question will be in government for the next few years.

Trying to root out islamphobia from the Tory party is like trying to stop water from being wet.

Ando

Apr 21, 2018
warsi has been an excellent campaigner on tory islamophobia. one part of the huge problem* for our media with exposing it properly is that all tory mp's refuse to go on record talking about it as a problem (unlike labour mp's who are very willing to speak out on anti-semitism). if your position is that all tories are inherently bad and can't be good campaigners on single issues because of that then changing this becomes impossible.

*the main problem is most of them consider islamophobia to be correct and common sense because of the makeup of the lobby

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
warsi has been an excellent campaigner on tory islamophobia. one part of the huge problem* for our media with exposing it properly is that all tory mp's refuse to go on record talking about it as a problem (unlike labour mp's who are very willing to speak out on anti-semitism). if your position is that all tories are inherently bad and can't be good campaigners on single issues because of that then changing this becomes impossible.

*the main problem is most of them consider islamophobia to be correct and common sense because of the makeup of the lobby

"If Tory islamophobia was that bad, she would've quit by now"

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not just Islamophobia the Tories are still deporting Windrush people secretly. Shit makes me sick. Anyone saying vote for them cus Corbyn is a racist, is a cunt

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Not just Islamophobia the Tories are still deporting Windrush people secretly. Shit makes me sick. Anyone saying vote for them cus Corbyn is a racist, is a cunt

Basically this. Warsi and other Tory minorities are just there to lend an air of credibility, that somehow the Tories can be rehabilitated. They can't, racism is part of their DNA and what it means to be a Tory supporter.

Ando

Apr 21, 2018
"If Tory islamophobia was that bad, she would've quit by now"

by this logic if the iraq war was so bad corbyn/abbott/mcdonnell should have quit labour entirely over it

as their current positions show there's merits to fighting and winning the argument inside the party

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
by this logic if the iraq war was so bad corbyn/abbott/mcdonnell should have quit labour entirely over it

as their current positions show there's merits to fighting and winning the argument inside the party

You can't remotely compare the Labour Party to the Tories.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'm pretty pissed off with people like Blunkett suddenly popping up to make a shit non-contribution to the election campaign, and I hope nobody allows people like Margaret Hodge to try and argue they care about winning and results after the general election.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He always does but you know him, it's not bombastic enough for major news reporting, you just sort of stumble across it when he feels he can make an opportune impact.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
BBC - General election 2019: 'Misleading' Abbott tweet used in Labour campaign

Is it just me or is it incredibly odd for the BBC to have this as a front page story based on a comment which is pretty bang average in terms of political spin? Sure it's somewhat misleading but giving it this attention feels like pretty blatant revenge for Diane criticising the media. It's absolutely negligible compared to the shit Tories come out with every time their mouths open about Brexit.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017

I wouldn't call them legitimate or I don't know, I don't trust these ratings agency's I'm guessing fiscal prudence means, they aren't wedded to austerity(austerity hasnt improved any country that has done it and its not like a government that is in charge of its own currency could ever go bankrupt, at least as long as they don't get involved with the IMF sharks). These agency's all have their ulterior motives and well economics is fucked at the moment and more akin to a religion than a legitimate science.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
He always does but you know him, it's not bombastic enough for major news reporting, you just sort of stumble across it when he feels he can make an opportune impact.

True, it's usually in the form of a 50 minute lecture on the history of the Labour party, he wasn't a very good soundbite guy.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
BBC - General election 2019: 'Misleading' Abbott tweet used in Labour campaign

Is it just me or is it incredibly odd for the BBC to have this as a front page story based on a comment which is pretty bang average in terms of political spin? Sure it's somewhat misleading but giving it this attention feels like pretty blatant revenge for Diane criticising the media. It's absolutely negligible compared to the shit Tories come out with every time their mouths open about Brexit.

Yeeeeaaahhhh, notice how the idea the tweet is misleading is immediately put in the title, even if not strictly stating it as such (versus an implicit quote), as opposed to simply [Prime Minister Says X! and then maybe it might actually be bullshit in the article proper]

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man I just got round to watching the last leg and what an embarrassment that show has become in the last year or so. We're talking about a show with two people who are heavily disabled, Alex Brooker and Adam Hills, sitting there discussing how they may vote Tory all of a sudden despite the constant attacks on the poor and disabled. I'm a carer for disabled individuals and also my wife, this is some privilege that's just embarrassing and absolutely beyond the pale for a show that was made with the idea of representing the disabled in the first place.

I've been an avid watcher for years but fuck these guys. I thought these guys would be fighting for the disadvantaged, but they're no better than any part of the media. I stopped the show there and then and honestly have no desire to watch their bullshit again. Jesus fucking christ. I'm honestly really shocked and just dont even know what the fuck they were aiming for.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Man I just got round to watching the last leg and what an embarrassment that show has become in the last year or so. We're talking about a show with two people who are heavily disabled, Alex Brooker and Adam Hills, sitting there discussing how they may vote Tory all of a sudden despite the constant attacks on the poor and disabled. I'm a carer for disabled individuals and also my wife, this is some privilege that's just embarrassing and absolutely beyond the pale for a show that was made with the idea of representing the disabled in the first place.

I've been an avid watcher for years but fuck these guys. I thought these guys would be fighting for the disadvantaged, but they're no better than any part of the media. I stopped the show there and then and honestly have no desire to watch their bullshit again. Jesus fucking christ. I'm honestly really shocked and just dont even know what the fuck they were aiming for.
What the hell? I haven't seen tonight's episode, but what did they say? Because they've been consistently shitting on the Tories for things like cutting benefits for years.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What the hell? I haven't seen tonight's episode, but what did they say? Because they've been consistently shitting on the Tories for things like cutting benefits for years.
About halfway into the episode Adam Hills says he doesnt know who to vote for, either Corbyn who's an anti semite or Johnson with his attacks on the poor, in a more or less his own words. That was jumping off point for me. These guys know the harm the Tories have done to the disabled and they seemingly dont give a shit anymore.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017

Frankly I'm shocked. /s

Gove, Johnson and Javid all pledged to do this on national prime time TV. They need to be absolutely nailed for dropping this.

On a more positive note I'm absolutely delighted with the Lib Dems new childcare policy:

35 month's free childcare for working parents from 9 months and crucially childcare providers will also receive a significant boost in funding for 2-4 year olds as well. Funded by reversing corporation tax cuts and an increase in capital gains tax. I know that the manta of "yellow Tories" is popular here but the policy just doesn't match upto the perception. It is true that there is a deliberate attempt to attract moderate conservative voters in this campaign but given the constituency makeup that is the obvious strategy to the most possible seats and crucial in preventing a Johnson majority.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
About halfway into the episode Adam Hills says he doesnt know who to vote for, either Corbyn who's an anti semite or Johnson with his attacks on the poor, in a more or less his own words. That was jumping off point for me. These guys know the harm the Tories have done to the disabled and they seemingly dont give a shit anymore.
Just watched it and at least Nish pretty much said that was stupid. lol

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On a more positive note I'm absolutely delighted with the Lib Dems new childcare policy:

35 month's free childcare for working parents from 9 months and crucially childcare providers will also receive a significant boost in funding for 2-4 year olds as well. Funded by reversing corporation tax cuts and an increase in capital gains tax. I know that the manta of "yellow Tories" is popular here but the policy just doesn't match upto the perception. It is true that there is a deliberate attempt to attract moderate conservative voters in this campaign but given the constituency makeup that is the obvious strategy to the most possible seats and crucial in preventing a Johnson majority.

Unfortunately you're in the wrong place to talk about the merits of supporting people who choose to have kids.

Oct 25, 2017

Suppose it's representative of the mountain Labour have to climb.

I feel Labour need to do something more than just be responding to all the anti-Semitism stuff, which always looks to be on the back foot, but heaven knows how you accomplish that.

Ando

Apr 21, 2018

just kills me that people have effortlessly shifted from the actual evidence which shows corbyn to have shamefully missed a racist trope in a facebook post and failed to effectively reform a large and unwieldy internal party bureaucracy to address internal complaints....to baldly declaring "corbyn is an anti-semite" constantly on national tv as if it's a self-evident truth

imagine if he'd actually done what boris has on racism. written years of newspaper articles attacking jews for their appearance and culture to whip up hatred, been major part of a government that forcibly deported british jews etc,

whereas the evidence that the tories don't care for the poor is all around us and has been for almost a decade

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
just kills me that people have effortlessly shifted from the actual evidence which shows corbyn to have shamefully missed a racist trope in a facebook post and failed to effectively reform a large and unwieldy internal party bureaucracy to address internal complaints....to baldly declaring "corbyn is an anti-semite" constantly on national tv as if it's a self-evident truth

imagine if he'd actually done what boris has on racism. written years of newspaper articles attacking jews for their appearance and culture to whip up hatred, been major part of a government that forcibly deported british jews etc,

whereas the evidence that the tories don't care for the poor is all around us and has been for almost a decade
That was Nish's point. Like if you are actually worried about voting for a racist, Boris wouldn't even be an option.

Oct 27, 2017

I don't know who these people are, doesn't sound like given the world anything culturally relevant, but as well as giving the impression that they're incapable of intelligent insight, I assume they're well off. Certainly doesn't sound like they give a shit about disabled / poor and they certainly are being either incredibly stupid or disingenuous in alleging concerns about racial discrimination or they wouldn't countenance voting for a party helmed by a man with a history of actual, on the record racism.

It's hard to escape the suspicion that they just don't want to pay a tiny bit more tax - there might also be a bit of the old right-wing "we're disabled and made something of ourselves so anyone who doesn't has only themselves to blame".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.