• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Nurses start at £24k a year, it's criminal that they can earn that little how in the fuck are you going to pay anyone less to do that job??

CD_93

Dec 12, 2017
Lancashire, United Kingdom
You know how old men have a point in history that they go on about at any opportunity, one where "everything would have been different if..."? Mine is going to be Jeremy getting completely fucked over by the media.

I was so tremendously apathetic towards politics and politicians in general. Then someone came along that I am prepared to die on the hill for next week.

I hope we don't squander this chance.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I've never understood the purpose of these "politician shows up with a camera crew to a local shop or cafe to stand there for a few minutes then leave" PR events or who it is they're meant to appeal to.

Always just looks like this to me

jMsh3W1lIFxp4ge2SDFSCahobmY=.gif

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I've never understood the purpose of these "politician shows up with a camera crew to a local shop or cafe to stand there for a few minutes then leave" PR events or who it is they're meant to appeal to.

When politicians don't do them people accuse them of doing nothing/not campaigning hard enough. See: Corbyn during the Brexit ref.

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to blow up, already at 45k in less then an hour.

It was a strong, genuine, very positive interview for him.

They are filling the media vacuum the cons have left.

I just worry with how bubbled Twitter can be. With Corbyn's tweets for example even the stuff over the 10k likes barrier, how many of those are the same users liking every time. Or viewing? Stuff like this is key to winning people over but on the surface we don't get to see how it's getting to people to aren't activists.

Have there been party political broadcasts yet? I forget when they come in to play.

Nurses start at £24k a year, it's criminal that they can earn that little how in the fuck are you going to pay anyone less to do that job??

I swear to god there are infinite complaints about shortfalls in loads of industries but boosting wages, and/or taking a chance on people who could do the job after some training, is seen as impossible. Am I missing something?

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
If I'd known Boris was coming to town I'd have paid him a visit........ can't believe he got heckled in Salisbury of all places, aka the whitest most middle England Tory safe seat you've ever seen. Amazing.

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017

Couple of reasons:

-- You want to be seen out campaigning, even if it's just for these brief events
-- Particularly nowadays, these brief staged events are mainly a source of clips/photos for media packages from the parties

It looks staged and awkward in the full, but when it's chopped into bite-size pieces for use in party political ads, FB videos etc. it works.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
You know how old men have a point in history that they go on about at any opportunity, one where "everything would have been different if..."? Mine is going to be Jeremy getting completely fucked over by the media and not getting a chance to be in power.

I'm not sure how far back we're going but it's hard for me not to see that moment as being the response to 9/11. For all the platitude bullshit about "not letting terrorists win," in the long run I think Al Qaeda basically accomplished everything they could resonably dream of from that action. If we actually manage to turn things around it will be from stemming the nationalism disease that the fallout of that moment infected much of the west with.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017

Taking the real hard-hitting interviews...

Honestly, I think this could be worse for Boris than the Neil interviews.
People who watch Andrew Neil are generally people who are interested in politics and have probably already decided their vote. Boris won't lose voters unless he completely fucks it and footage of him fucking up is re-broadcast on every other news show.
People who watch This Morning are less likely to be decided on their vote and more likely to vote based on how "likeable" a candidate is.
Boris's chuntering and sloganeering work well against hostile questioning, but they won't work against softer questions like, "How do you keep yourself motivated on the campaign trail?"
Corbyn seems to have done very well and came across as a normal person who actually cares about other people.
If Boris comes across as an unlikeable out-of-touch rich buffoon, he could lose quite a few votes.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
People who watch Andrew Neil are generally people who are interested in politics and have probably already decided their vote. Boris won't lose voters unless he completely fucks it and footage of him fucking up is re-broadcast on every other news show.
People who watch This Morning are less likely to be decided on their vote and more likely to vote based on how "likeable" a candidate is.
Boris's chuntering and sloganeering work well against hostile questioning, but they won't work against softer questions like, "How do you keep yourself motivated on the campaign trail?"
Corbyn seems to have done very well and came across as a normal person who actually cares about other people.
If Boris comes across as an unlikeable out-of-touch rich buffoon, he could lose quite a few votes.

Yeah I can see that.

CD_93

Dec 12, 2017
Lancashire, United Kingdom

I have to agree. Boris coming across as a hapless tit on daytime TV plays to an audience that needs to see it.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure how far back we're going but it's hard for me not to see that moment as being the response to 9/11. For all the platitude bullshit about "not letting terrorists win," in the long run I think Al Qaeda basically accomplished everything they could resonably dream of from that action. If we actually manage to turn things around it will be from stemming the nationalism disease that the fallout of that moment infected much of the west with.

I agree with everything you have said here. It was the event that defined the 21st century. Everything that has happened since was an echo of that day. The world before 9/11 was a very different place to the world afterwards and you could see that change happening at the time, not just with hindsight.

ronpontelle

Oct 27, 2017
This article clears it up a bit, it's the cost of having another nurse present to watch the baby.

Not that that takes away the madness of the thing, I can't figure out how that invoice ended up at $13k, especially as they've charged for 79 units of 'DELIVERY C SECTION'. Assuming she didn't have 79 kids hiding in there, do they charge by the minute or something?
France has a mix of state funded and private 'top up' health care. We pay a lot for it - we're self employed so pay 13% of our GROSS income towards healthcare and pensions, and judging by my benefits statement, it nearly all goes on healthcare!

Anyway, when our son was born we got the cost from the hospital and it was something like 6,000€, but we didn't have to pay a penny. Or centime.

Some stuff is fully reimbursed by the state, some is partly reimbursed. I think if you're on benefits the state covers you 100% for most stuff. You can then pay extra for private top up insurance. My wife pays about 65€ a month for her and our son, but I'm not sure it's worth it based on the premiums and what gets reimbursed by her private insurer.

However the system works really well, and when many people point to the quality of French healthcare, they rarely bring up that a lot of it is funded privately, but all integrated and seemingly regulated.

That's not to say you don't get shit doctors or consultants. My wife's gyni consultant got her due date wrong by a week, despite us telling him over and over. Which could have been very serious - he was born exactly on time according to the hospital, but the midwifes said he was a week late.

ruttyboy

Oct 29, 2017
Totally agree with you, it was clear as day that the claims to 'not allow it to change our way of life' were completely hollow when it immediately triggered a host of legislation that changed our way of life...

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Academic quits C of E body over chief rabbi's Labour antisemitism comments

"A leading campaigner against racism has resigned from a Church of England advisory body in protest at the archbishop of Canterbury's support for the chief rabbi's comments last week on antisemitism in the Labour party.

Gus John, a respected author and academic, said: "As a matter of principle, I cannot continue to work with the Anglican church … after the archbishop of Canterbury's disgraceful endorsement of the chief rabbi's unjust condemnation of Jeremy Corbyn and the entire Labour party.
"

...Three days later, John wrote to Elizabeth Henry, the C of E's national adviser on minority ethnic issues, saying "those who occupy houses clad with stained glass should perhaps be a trifle more careful when they join others in throwing stones". "

Last edited:

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think he has done well with the AS stuff recently. Talking as someone who left the party because of it, the tone had definitely changed from 'grudging' to something more approaching 'committed'.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
"I made what I considered to be some extremely mild jokes about Boris Johnson, Jacob Rees Mogg, Theresa May and the Brexit process for not going well."

He said he was amazed by how "easily offended" the audience was, and how people had booed and heckled him for much of his set. "I sort of knew what I was doing and I knew the risk," Kumar said. "They were more easily offended than I thought they would be. I would like to apologise if I triggered any of them."

He added it was particularly funny when he told the jeering audience "I should have known this would happen when I agreed to do a set in front of people who colonised my ancestors". One man shouted back: "That was ages ago."

Wamapoke

Apr 11, 2018
That would be amazing. What would they even do in that case in regards to potential government negotiations? Would she still be in charge of that or is a deputy chosen immediately?

Status
Not open for further replies.