• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I know.

They are using the free market defence of 'Well if they raise prices, people will go to their competitors' but its fucking health care and we have no other choice in life saving medicines.
Ironically the best solution for this would be some kind of state owned company that creates generic medicines to help drive down those costs. If only a party had suggested that idea 🤔

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That Raab video is disgusting. Bloody sell out, they've all sold their soul for a little money, that's how scummy these people are.

Don't let them. Never vote Tory.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

It would be surprising. Her area is pretty middle class, upper and about 60% voted no in the Independence Referendum. The only contender to Lib Dems is SNP and she won by 10,000 last time. Need a hell of a swing and a change of heart to SNP when Independence is at the forefront, they do worse when that happens.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019

7TCeKCO.gif

It would be surprising. Her area is pretty middle class, upper and about 60% voted no in the Independence Referendum. The only contender to Lib Dems is SNP and she won by 10,000 last time. Need a hell of a swing and a change of heart to SNP when Independence is at the forefront, they do worse when that happens.

No she didn't

Some SNP voters staying at home didn't help in 2017.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Corrected, thanks. 6000. Yeah, it seems a little less Lib Dems turned out and SNP lost loads, even the Cons and Labour gained some.

Be interesting to see if the new SNP candidate can gain them back, seems pretty unknown but quite young and outgoing so might get some young folk out, they should be out anyway, vote! Hope she holds onto the other voters too. I feel this election is more than the local canditate and since she is knew, can't judge on much at all and Swinson is a know quantity and why would you risk voting for her if she won't do a deal with Labour.

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron

More than 93,000 suspected violent criminals and sex offenders have been released without restrictions by police in England and Wales since 2017, figures obtained by BBC Newsnight show.

People suspected of offences including rape and murder have been among those "Released Under Investigation" (RUI).

Richard Miller of the Law Society said a "major scandal" was brewing over the way RUIs are being used.
In 2017, the rules on pre-charge bail changed, making it more difficult for police to keep suspects on bail beyond 28 days.

The overuse of RUIs, Mr Miller said, is the unintended consequence of the changes.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully Swinson loses her seat.

Funny story I used to do some campaigning for SNP in Milngavie. I remember back in 2015 doing canvassing on the street that Swinson's parents live on. She was there getting filmed for Newsnight or something. Conveniently got filmed walking down the drive of her parents house plastered with Lib Dem posters. Didn't even go to the door lol. Just walked back up.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has any major party leader lost their seat in an election in recent history?

Clegg lost to Jared O Mara, who turned out to be a complete liability. Would have felt bad about the loss of a prominent anti Brexit voice in parliament if he hadn't of went on to join Facebook, the nobhead

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Clegg lost to Jared O Mara, who turned out to be a complete liability. Would have felt bad about the loss of a prominent anti Brexit voice in parliament if he hadn't of went on to join Facebook, the nobhead

Yep that was the election after he quit as leader wasn't it? I think that's the closest in recent memory.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Don't people in leader areas usually expect little bonuses here and there, has Swinson done that or is she resting on her laurels. I don't know if places do get more attention, maybe it's just presumed and nothing different happens.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Sky News (TV) running a large piece on Corbyn antisemitism, again.

As usual, they managed to find a Jewish Conservative who prefaces their attack with "I'm not telling you who to vote" then they go on to say "Everything Corbyn has said is a lie, he means nothing when he says sorry".

Imagine being Jewish and selling your morals out for the Tories.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017

To be fair, Labour had no expectation of ousting Clegg, which is why O'Mara was on the list in the first place.

Clegg is a fucking piece of shit though so no major loss.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, Labour had no expectation of ousting Clegg, which is why O'Mara was on the list in the first place.

Clegg is a fucking piece of shit though so no major loss.

I think you're right, which was a major question mark for me at the time. Because Clegg running was absolutely a detriment to the lib Dems for that seat. I don't know how they hadn't seen it coming when people were doing groundwork, We fucking hated the guy in the constituency. At bare minimum, basically everyone there who worked in the universities (a not insignificant number, since it's not a bad committing distance although there are a lot of higher end houses there too) at least wanted him to lose the seat.

An inanimate carbon rod in the Labour party would have won that seat that time, as people were really voting for Corbyns labour, (although in retrospect, it would have been better than O mara).

Will be interesting to see if they keep that seat.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
That would be amazing. What would they even do in that case in regards to potential government negotiations? Would she still be in charge of that or is a deputy chosen immediately?
The rulebook (note: PDF link) says this:

nQqCRrH.png

(I am snipping out lots of parts to include only relevant bits)

So if Swinson loses her seat:

- there will automatically be a leadership election, in which she is not entitled to stand
- if Swinson doesn't resign she will remain leader until that election is done
- if Swinson does resign, the parliamentary Acting Leader in the Commons will also lead the party. Who that is will depend on several things, including who gets elected

Status
Not open for further replies.