• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
The problem about thinking of environmentalism as a "cost" is that you're assuming that there's no cost associated with having a polluted environment or battling climate change.
Sustainability by its own definition means economic as well as environmental, otherwise it doesn't meet the criteria.

We can't afford not to protect the environment, it's far cheaper to avoid or prevent environmental catastrophe than it is to remediate - if we can.

The economy isn't some creature that exists, its the interaction between everyone in a financial system and that system will fall apart if people are sick or in danger.

A government is in the unique position to promise major changes because it has the authority and capability to enact long term change.

Dont let decades of neoliberalism tell you that something isn't possible because it may directly impact business. These policies have to have regulatory impact assessments that assess the effects of implementation of major projects or laws. Part of the reason the Tories are so dangerous is they don't base their decisions on the outcomes of these assessments.
Indeed. It's scary that so many people don't get that, nor do they understand just how serious and present climate change is today. And she's an incredibly smart woman, which makes me really anxious. I mean, we're highly likely today to see our country vote in the party that not only has an embarrassingly weak climate agenda, but even refused to attend the climate change leaders debate... What does that say for our chances of fixing the problem? =/

I work in ecology though, so I'm very biased towards climate change being the most important topic. Ironically that probably makes it easier for friends and family to dismiss my opinion on its importance =P

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Heading out to vote Lib Dem shortly. It won't make a difference in my constituency, but I'm doing my part.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got some shopping to do this morning then going to go vote. Got today and tomorrow off so good excuse to get shit faced tonight either way.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
Well, I voted. Not for the candidate I wanted to, but hey, anything to get the Tories out (which won't happen here anyway).

Alexem

Oct 27, 2017
Essex, UK
I'll have to wait until I get home to vote tonight. Sadly, I'm in an ultra-safe Tory seat, so not even a tactical vote will make much difference. (Aside from a blip in 2017 while they were in the doldrums, the Lib Dems usually come second around here - that said, the fact that their candidate is a local party member whose listed address is in another county speaks volumes about how they rate their chances.)

I have to admit that I've been very disappointed by Corbyn's leadership of Labour over the last few years. Policy-wise I've no problem with him - I had high hopes that he might make a difference when he got appointed leader - but his autocratic approach has done him no favours at all. By all rights, going against a Tory party lead by an openly entitled, incompetent bigot like Boris should be an open goal, but the leader's office have done precious little to counteract the bad press they get. If Boris is still in charge after this election - and sadly, I think that's likely to be the case - then I honestly think time's up for Corbyn and Momentum. If they can't beat Boris of all people, then who can they beat?

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just having breakfast and setting out to vote. Even if there is a queue, I'll be done in time for work at 4pm.

This is the one silver lining I can see if Labour lose is that Corbyn will probably go and hopefully that'll mean Labour will regain some of their support that they've lost.
It really depends on who he is replaced with. If the left are not satisfied then Labour will be trading one set of voters (and members) for another.

I know my vote and membership of the party is dependent on who the leader is. I am sick of centrists and neoliberal Labour candidates telling me I'm their only option and I must support them to keep the Tories out, and the second someone closer to my beliefs takes over they cry and bawl and leave the party, smear us in the press, defect to the LibDems and so on.

I won't be putting up with their shit any longer. I am willing to compromise in places because the party is a broad church, but it is no longer their way or the highway like it was pre-Corbyn.

I'll have to wait until I get home to vote tonight. Sadly, I'm in an ultra-safe Tory seat, so not even a tactical vote will make much difference. (Aside from a blip in 2017 while they were in the doldrums, the Lib Dems usually come second around here - that said, the fact that their candidate is a local party member whose listed address is in another county speaks volumes about how they rate their chances.)

I have to admit that I've been very disappointed by Corbyn's leadership of Labour over the last few years. Policy-wise I've no problem with him - I had high hopes that he might make a difference when he got appointed leader - but his autocratic approach has done him no favours at all. By all rights, going against a Tory party lead by an openly entitled, incompetent bigot like Boris should be an open goal, but the leader's office have done precious little to counteract the bad press they get. If Boris is still in charge after this election - and sadly, I think that's likely to be the case - then I honestly think time's up for Corbyn and Momentum. If they can't beat Boris of all people, then who can they beat?
This is the kind of shit that won't be tolerated. "Oh we tried it once, time to go back to the old ways (which also lost)."

And don't underestimate Boris Johnson. He may be seen as wholly incompetent to a lot of people, but that core Brexiteer vote would be with him whether he was up against Corbyn, Blair, Brown, either of the Milibands, Cooper, some other magical "centrist" candidate who can apparently win. Remember this is the man who spearheaded the Vote Leave campaign and won it against Cameron, who by and large is regarded as a more competent pair of hands than Johnson. Plus Johnson's Tories have a share of the vote that Cameron could only dream of.

Let's not pretend this election would be a cakewalk for anyone but Corbyn. That is intellectually dishonest. Trying to unite Remain and Leave voters is a gargantuan task and Corbyn has had to walk a lot of tightropes to even get to where we are.

Last edited:

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
Yep, that's my mother-in-law too. Team lead in radiology department at her hospital, but voting Tory because the economy is her number one concern. She even defends their lack of action on climate change with "but we can't implement big new policies for green energy without a strong economy to do so!" And I'm trying to point out that the Tory's have been in power for almost a decade now, and while austerity has benefited the rich, it's screwed over the poor, and during their tenure the pound has been slashed in value, the national debt has doubled to almost £2 trillion, and the country's credit rating has been downgraded. Twice. How is that a good economy record? She's also a remainer, but is still voting Tory...

I think a lot of it is just that most people don't like the thought of switching party "loyalties". It's almost like choosing a football team - you're locked in now for the rest of your life, no matter how much they may change over the next few decades. The Tory party of today is completely different to the Tory party when she was in her 20s. And the Labour party of today is completely different to Blair's for example.

Personally, I'm frustrated by Labour and their policies too. They can't implement it all, and they know it. While I can maybe get on board with the argument of broadband as a universal right, I can't support the idea of full-fibre for all for free. That's not good for jobs within the industry. Basic access broadband for free (5mb/s for example, just enough to stream one HD program, plenty fast enough for emails and browsing for jobs) would cover that just fine, without screwing over the existing industry. It distresses me that Labour feels the need to promise the world to compete and attract votes rather than propose something more grounded in reality, or at the very least with a prioritised list of what they'll be trying to implement first based on funds available. But when faced with the prospect of a Tory majority, I kind of have to vote Labour, because austerity and a lack of action on climate change is immeasurably worse than a Corbyn government.

This is easily the worst election prospect in my lifetime. 4-5 years of nonsense whichever party wins. I will be voting for the lesser nonsense though.
Yep completely agree with the football team analogy, people are stubborn and will stick with their party, especially when it comes to Tories and labour voters. If anything comes from this election i think it just goes to show that fptp voting needs to go

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
Just voted in Gammon Central, oh well, weather is terrible so maybe they'll all stay in the warm and dry, can but hope...

Alexem

Oct 27, 2017
Essex, UK
This is the kind of shit that won't be tolerated. "Oh we tried it once, time to go back to the old ways (which also lost)."

And don't underestimate Boris Johnson. He may be seen as wholly incompetent to a lot of people, but that core Brexiteer vote would be with him whether he was up against Corbyn, Blair, Brown, either of the Milibands, Cooper, some other magical "centrist" candidate who can apparently win. Remember this is the man who spearheaded the Vote Leave campaign and won it against Cameron, who by and large is regarded as a more competent pair of hands than Johnson. Plus Johnson's Tories have a share of the vote that Cameron could only dream of.

Let's not pretend this election would be a cakewalk for anyone by Corbyn. That is intellectually dishonest.
Don't get me wrong - the last thing that I want is another Blairite in charge. As far as I'm concerned, there wasn't much difference between New Labour and Thatcher. I just think the party needs to look elsewhere next - not to the neo-libs or centrists, but they need someone who can get some cohesion between the party's factions. Basically, they could do with someone with Blair's appeal but decent values. That's just my take, though.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't get me wrong - the last thing that I want is another Blairite in charge. As far as I'm concerned, there wasn't much difference between New Labour and Thatcher. I just think the party needs to look elsewhere next - not to the neo-libs or centrists, but they need someone who can get some cohesion between the party's factions. Basically, they could do with someone with Blair's appeal but decent values. That's just my take, though.
Fair enough. I can't necessarily disagree with that, but who in the PLP would that be?

And us losing today doesn't mean Momentum is finished, even if Corbyn has to resign. That's a pretty silly statement. Momentum will last long after Corbyn is gone. It is one of the most effective left wing campaigning machines we have, and if the work it is doing needs to improve to push us over the line then so be it.

Plus politics aren't just elections. Momentum will be needed more than even to help counter the narrative and excesses of a Johnson government, especially in the formative weeks as Labour licks its wounds.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It kinda baffles me as german that you need to register first to be able to vote as a british person. Here it's just assumed that you want to vote and everybody eligable gets the papers in a letter automaticly. It's still optional to go vote though.

That sayed i don't want the Brexit to happen. Vote the right party my british friends

Unless you register, they have no idea where anyone lives

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So if I already did my postal vote I don't have to go to a polling station right? This is my first time really taking this seriously and I want to make sure.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
As said in the other thread, voted. Because even if it's a safe seat, you gotta chip away at the lead to make it viable for future

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
Don't agree with ResetEra banner message defining this as a Brexit election. It's become very clear it's not. More important things are at stake.

Alexem

Oct 27, 2017
Essex, UK
And us losing today doesn't mean Momentum is finished, even if Corbyn has to resign. That's a pretty silly statement. Momentum will last long after Corbyn is gone. It is one of the most effective left wing campaigning machines we have, and if the work it is doing needs to improve to push us over the line then so be it.

Plus politics aren't just elections. Momentum will be needed more than even to help counter the narrative and excesses of a Johnson government, especially in the formative weeks as Labour licks its wounds.
Momentum certainly deserve respect for getting more people actively interested in politics - that's always a good thing. I think my main worry is that if someone too close to Corbyn were chosen to succeed him (if he were to go, that is), they'd be starting too much on the back foot right now. Momentum's values are by and large certainly worth keeping, but I think that a leader that can keep both them and the PLP on-side are what the party needs. I appreciate that might be easier said than done, though.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Don't agree with ResetEra banner message defining this as a Brexit election. It's become very clear it's not. More important things are at stake.

I'm not keen on that either, there's so much more to this than Brexit. It's only the Tories (and Brexit Party) who want to make this about Brexit. How can we get the mods to change this?

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
All the polling and predictions show votes splitting mostly down Brexit lines, it's a Brexit election in most ways but what momentum Labour has built up has been because of non-Brexit policies.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Did my bit before work.

Get out there and vote, for what you want but also against what you don't. Too much at stake.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Will be heading in to vote a bit later, my parents don't care about voting (they just consider their single vote to be meaningless, to be fair it always has been in the areas we've lived) but I've persuaded them that this one is too important to skip, also tried to harden a couple of friends against Boris. Not like it'll matter, this is an ultra safe Tory seat in a middle-class gammon area that somehow only voted leave by a small margin, but if there is even a 0.00001% chance of a big swing to Labour I won't risk not voting.

And to be honest, as selfish as it sounds I also want it to be on record when this country votes in a vile, racist, bigoted, sexist, lying, opportunistic, bumbling, greedy buffoon that I wasn't part of the problem.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
Voted Labour in Gateshead. Was number 9 on the register, which surprised me for some reason.
Fingers crossed for a hung parliament.

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
Multiple people in this thread have already admitted voting, yet I see no polling station doggo pics...
WHAT
THE
FUCK

Edit: just as I post that, it's Boris Cunty Johnson with the first doggo pick. Disgraceful

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, that's my mother-in-law too. Team lead in radiology department at her hospital, but voting Tory because the economy is her number one concern. She even defends their lack of action on climate change with "but we can't implement big new policies for green energy without a strong economy to do so!" And I'm trying to point out that the Tory's have been in power for almost a decade now, and while austerity has benefited the rich, it's screwed over the poor, and during their tenure the pound has been slashed in value, the national debt has doubled to almost £2 trillion, and the country's credit rating has been downgraded. Twice. How is that a good economy record? She's also a remainer, but is still voting Tory...

I think a lot of it is just that most people don't like the thought of switching party "loyalties". It's almost like choosing a football team - you're locked in now for the rest of your life, no matter how much they may change over the next few decades. The Tory party of today is completely different to the Tory party when she was in her 20s. And the Labour party of today is completely different to Blair's for example.

Personally, I'm frustrated by Labour and their policies too. They can't implement it all, and they know it. While I can maybe get on board with the argument of broadband as a universal right, I can't support the idea of full-fibre for all for free. That's not good for jobs within the industry. Basic access broadband for free (5mb/s for example, just enough to stream one HD program, plenty fast enough for emails and browsing for jobs) would cover that just fine, without screwing over the existing industry. It distresses me that Labour feels the need to promise the world to compete and attract votes rather than propose something more grounded in reality, or at the very least with a prioritised list of what they'll be trying to implement first based on funds available. But when faced with the prospect of a Tory majority, I kind of have to vote Labour, because austerity and a lack of action on climate change is immeasurably worse than a Corbyn government.

This is easily the worst election prospect in my lifetime. 4-5 years of nonsense whichever party wins. I will be voting for the lesser nonsense though.

Can you name any country that has developed a national fibre optic infrastructure without state intervention?

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
Voting with my partner when they get home. Ultra safe labour seat, has been since the 30s, so about all we can do.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Voted this Morning, weirdly enough i was the only one there, i actually thought i'd fucked up and got the wrong place but someone came out to greet me and in i went.It was at a Nusery/infant School and they had zero signage.

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
People go out and vote.
I live and work in this country, but I'm a filthy European, so I can't vote in general elections.

Stop the tories at all costs.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Agree with you on the entrenched positions. Tories just get the benefit of the doubt on economy - pretty much always have. Even given all your points against it people will still vote for them on that.

Not sure I agree with you on the fibre though - while 'just about fast enough broadband over a frayed copper wire' might get you through the day and get the odd email - the internet is getting 'heavier' and even basic websites are lumpy old things. And if we want a more flexible workforce with working from home and telepresence we need faster broadband in more places.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
do we need this thread? We've already an extremely active thread. Lets not do a LD and split the conversation

I was asked to make a new thread with polling station information so we could get a sticky. I'd like to keep this thread as non-partisan as possible, and just use it to encourage getting out and voting. As you say, we do have another thread for people to use for discussions.