• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
This one will probably be hard to make up digitally.

GamesIndustry.biz said:
Hitman 2 was the other big adult release of the week and it, too, had a weaker-than-usual opening. IO Interactive's stealth game debuts at No.10. The last Hitman title was an episodic digital release, so comparisons are impossible to make. Compared with 2012's Hitman Absolution, launch physical sales of Hitman 2 are down 90 per cent.
Source: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...top-hyper-competitive-week-at-uk-games-retail

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
It's a travesty. Go buy this game people, if this tanks IOI the whole industry loses a uniquely creative franchise that has no alternatives anywhere.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty sad to hear.

Hitman 2 is fantastic. Absolution is complete garbage.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Nice" to see IO punished for caving to "what people want" and nobody seemingly supporting that.

Y'all deserve your microtransaction $60 games, fam.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this new Hitman follow the same 'episode' like the previous?
90% physical was pretty massive.

Bond

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Absolute shambles. Go buy the game! It's the best Hitman title since the legendary Blood Money. IOI and Agent 47 deserve better.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Really hoping this isn't the end of IO Interactive.

Makes me question if they'd partner up with MS Studios, but not sure how big the studio is.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I keep saying this but why do all these games drop in the holidays and not earlier when there was shit all to play? Up until the end of August there was barely anything big out but after that there's a big game every week and half of them tank.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Absolute shame but i will wait for non-UK data to see what the impact is WW. UK data just has not seemed representative of a games performance this year.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
When are companies going to learn, unless you are a huge blockbuster IP, don't release your game in November.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Incredibly boneheaded decision by the publisher to release an already niche series in November.

Edit:
Funny as hell to see people talking like the new Hitman series isn't super GaaS lol.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This will sound stupid, but for some reason, I always confuse hitman 2 with 1, like I know that it has a 2 and everything, but for some reason, I thought that this game was released a long time ago

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Sadly good games don't sell well these days aside from a few exceptions. People would rather have generic GaaS trash rather than a well designed game like Hitman. Not looking forward to IOI making multiplayer focused shit, but it's going to happen

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I think at some point it becomes too crowded to release your games in a period where lots of huge games are releasing. There are also lots of popular service games that people are playing. Games like these are a dying breed.

Zelus

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, when you release the game right after Spider-Man, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, AC: Odyssey, and Red Dead Redemption 2, it's kind of to be expected. I'm sure it' a great game and I'll definitely buy it at some point digitally, but I'm just now getting on Tomb Raider.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's really sad. I wonder if episodic would've helped, the people who actually bought the first game seemed to like that model, while a lot of people who didn't bother complained online.

Also not a great time of year. There is way, way too much stuff out right now.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Hitman in this current iteration is done. If there's another one it's going to be something like Absolution.

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017
it feels like people are putting too much value into uk retail sales

like what game hasnt had their retail sales crater in the uk compared to a previous release?

Nov 1, 2017
I think this game would have sold better if it wasn't £40. I'll likely pick it up after my studies have stopped in December.

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
I'd get it on PC, but apparently it runs dreadfully on Ryzen systems. :/

JaegerDeus

Banned
Jan 25, 2018
There was absolutely no reason for the game to release when it did. None.

I'm interested in buying the game, but not when I only have so many hours to play games and what's not going to RDR2 is going toward Destiny 2 Forsaken with friends.

They should have found a softer period in the schedule to release this.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Not to defend the numbers here (cuz woof), but Absolution over-performed in sales compared to how much anyone actually liked it, which prompted the switch to the current format. It was by far the best selling Hitman game, IIRC. People in the Hitman 2 OT were doing the math based on leaderboards and the best guess is that H2 has around 150k owners across all three platforms, which is...eh.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
There were too many games releasing in October and December. We all know some were gonna bomb and the result was predictable in many cases.