• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Overall:
£770 million was generated by UK boxed video game sales in 2018.
Revenue generated from physical video games declined 2.8 per cent.
PS4 accounted for 42.2 per cent of all the games sold at retail last year, followed by Xbox One (30.5 per cent) and then Nintendo Switch (24 per cent). The rest was made up of 3DS (2.1 per cent), PC (0.7 per cent), Nintendo Wii (0.2 per cent) and Xbox 360 (0.2 per cent).
Compared to 2017, PS4 games sales drooped 9.7% and Xbox One game sales fell 12.7 per cent.
(Note: This is just physical games, digital is not included.)

More here

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty impressive considering that Sony themselves believed that PS4 sales had already peaked. When this gen is over the LTD graphs are gonna be pretty interesting to compare.

Oct 25, 2017
This shows that a PS5 or next-gen Xbox is still unnecessary. I'd rather have next gen delayed until we can get real time ray tracing in there - that's when you can show an evolution in lighting effects which would justify a new gen.

Same games but now in 4K won't be a big deal for most.

OP
OP

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the momentum can keep going. The first few months of 2019 are looking very strong in terms of releases after all.
Hm, I don't think so. Maybe with a $100€ price cut, which is highly unlikely. They will do a $50 price cut this year imo.
Sony had two GOTY contenders last year with God of War and Spider-Man. Huge blockbusters that will sell ~15 million when all is said and done. This year is different. GOTY-wise, I don't think two of the big three (TLOU2, Death Stranding and Gost of Tsushima) will launch this year.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Wait...so 2.5 million consoles were sold in the UK in 2017.
PS4 did over a million. 1.1? 1.2?
This means it's possible for the PS4 to be responsible for near 50% of all those 2.5 million.

This is 2013 hardware we're talking about that's still selling better than everything that came out later.
Insane when you think about it

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dring concludes that software sales were disappointing to retailers overall, particularly with reference to some of the bigger games being down (a couple way down) from their previous entries or even their series' peak, but the hardware sales and the general success of all 3 are surely positives to build on. Dunno what to make of 2019 but at least we'll have digital sales made more clear.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, I don't think so. Maybe with a $100€ price cut, which is highly unlikely. They will do a $50 price cut this year imo.
Sony had two GOTY contenders last year with God of War and Spider-Man. Huge blockbusters that will sell ~15 million when all is said and done. This year is different. GOTY-wise, I don't think two of the big three (TLOU2, Death Stranding and Gost of Tsushima) will launch this year.

While nothing is confirmed, Playstation Spain put up a video yesterday that included Part II and DS in their 2019 reel. GoT wasn't there which makes the whole thing much more interesting.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
That is insane. Sony must be so pleasantly surprised how well the PS4 is doing in its 5th year.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Congratulations to the PS4!

A +20% increase for the Switch seems low though, given the launch of a new Pokemon and Smash Bros game.

Last edited:

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Very impressive to see the PS4 progressing year on year.

I was expecting the Xbox to have better numbers. I guess the lack of big profile exclusives did not help.

I was also expecting the Switch to have better numbers. The Switch will overtake the PS4 as the best selling console next year worldwide yearly ( maybe already this fiscal year actually ), but in UK I doubt it, Sony is just too strong.

OP
OP

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While nothing is confirmed, Playstation Spain put up a video yesterday that included Part II and DS in their 2019 reel. GoT wasn't there which makes the whole thing much more interesting.
Yeah, I saw that. Which is funny, because Ghost of Tsushima should be pretty far in development right now. I remember how Shu said in 2016 that Sucker Punch new game is not that far away from Days Gone. And Days Gone had a chance to launch in 2018. So I sill think GoT has a good chance to launch in 2019. Let's see :)

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Switch sold 720,000 units last year. 20% increase would put it at 864,000 units.

EDIT: Apparently 720K was in 48 weeks, not in 2017 alone.

Last edited:

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Nobody expected God of War and Spider-Man to be so damn huge ;)
Spider-Man was a given with the right critical reception (I did keep telling people), but I think God of War was the big surprise in that it blew up in to something much, much bigger than we'd normally expect for a game in that genre. I think Sony nailed the marketing, it released at the perfect time, and the critical reception and word-of-mouth obviously gave it a huge boost. GOW3 was still better though :)

PS4 showing an increase is impressive though given Switch's rise. Switch is clearly expanding the market and not eating in to the existing pie.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Wait...so 2.5 million consoles were sold in the UK in 2017.
PS4 did over a million. 1.1? 1.2?
This means it's possible for the PS4 to be responsible for near 50% of all those 2.5 million.

This is 2013 hardware we're talking about that's still selling better than everything that came out later.
Insane when you think about it
As of December 11th, 2018:
PS4 is at just over 6 Million consoles sold in the UK.
XB1 is at just under 5 Million consoles sold in the UK.
Switch is at about 1.4 Million consoles sold in the UK.
Switch sold 720,000 units last year. 20% increase would put it at 864,000 units.
So Switch is now above 1.5 Million consoles sold in the UK. Seems to be about in line with the others, Sony tracks a around 1 Million more than the others do over a 5 year trajectory.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I dunno.. I think both GoT and DS will hit this year. TLOU:P2 early next year.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
PS4 should be up this year in EU overall as this year there were actual promotions during holiday season.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how much up YoY the Switch is in Q4 of this year compared to Q4 2017 considering that's the most crucial quarter for the Fiscal Year target.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like the UK is more price sensitive than other markets, so makes sense. There were some great deals this Christmas.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
When do we start getting digital sales included in the UK charts? I remember 2019 being the year.
Or the fact that digital sales aren't included may be the issue here.
It's absolutely the issue. Digital is growing rapidly. I'm buying everything digital these days whereas I would never have considered it just a couple of years ago. My friends too, exactly the same. Especially those on Xbox, as they've got used to digital now as a result of Game Pass.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I look forward to see pal charts with digital included, should give us a better picture of the market.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, it's had a great year. It'll probably still be down YOY worldwide but it could be closer than Sony expected to last (financial) year's 19m. They already bumped their forecast up from 17m to 17.5m, maybe they can get within a million.

A +20% increase for the Switch seems low, though given the launch of a new Pokemon and Smash Bros game.
Last year had the benefit of the launch rush so I think a 20% increase is still pretty good. A lot of the Pokémon/Smash audience will have bought the Switch in 2017 anyway for some other game, so that'll have somewhat mitigated the effect of those specific launches.

I was expecting the Xbox to have better numbers. I guess the lack of big profile exclusives did not help.
Yes, until Forza Horizon 4 there wasn't really a compelling reason to buy an Xbox One in 2018 that didn't already exist in 2017. For sales driven mostly by Xbox One X and the back catalogue it seems to have done about as well as can be expected (~2.5m overall minus ~1m PS4 minus ~860K Switch = ~640K Xbox One, though that could be lower depending on how far above 1m the PS4 got).

This shows that a PS5 or next-gen Xbox is still unnecessary. I'd rather have next gen delayed until we can get real time ray tracing in there - that's when you can show an evolution in lighting effects which would justify a new gen.

You don't wait until the prev console stops selling to come out with another one bro.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember someone telling me Switch beat PS4 in sales this year but maybe that was for the USA charts or worldwide.

I'm just glad console gaming is booming.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK

There isn't going to be the concept of traditional Generations anymore, just a more powerful console released every three years or so. So if the 2020 consoles don't appeal just wait it out for 2023.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I question why Sony underestimate their own product in the US and are reluctant to really push it when it's likely up YoY in Europe.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
This gen looks like the the best since what, PS2 ?
Everyone doing great, even who isn't in first place.
Thanks Ninja for making videogames mainstream

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Congratulations to the PS4!

A +20% increase for the Switch seems low though, given the launch of a new Pokemon and Smash Bros game.

it's not that last year there weren't massive sellers, or the conosle launch itself.
a +20% increase compared to last FY would actually put them (ww) in line with their (bold) prediction for HW (ww, again)

OP
OP

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I question why Sony underestimate their own product in the US and are reluctant to really push it when it's likely up YoY in Europe.
Nobody expected God of War and Spider-Man to be so damn huge. Even Mat (NPD) was suprised by it. God of War and Spider-Man killed it last year.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Great numbers, I find it incredible how Xbox turned things around since 2013.
And likewise how Nintendo bounced back from the Wii U so strongly.

Good times ahead, 2019 is looking good in terms of games.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017

Generally before holiday season it was other way around. PS4 was up yoy in US and Japan but overall down globally which means Europe was lacking behind. Depending on December sales PS4 still could be up yoy in US too for last year (In Japan it will be a bit down).