• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Finland and France want the UK to submit their written proposals for Brexit on September 30 at the latest or it will be "over", Finnish Prime Minister Antti Rinne said on Wednesday.

A Finnish official confirmed to Euronews the comments Rinne said to his country's media following a meeting in Paris on Wednesday with French President Emmanuel Macron.

"If the UK wants to discuss alternatives to the existing Brexit agreement then these must be presented before the end of the month," he told reporters.

"If no proposals are forthcoming, I believe quite a few European leaders agree with the position. Then it's over. Now is the time to come up with clear presentations and make them verifiable," he added.

That would give Boris Johnson, the embattled British Prime Minister, just 12 days to lay out his alternative proposals to the backstop arrangement — the insurance policy worked into the Withdrawal Agreement to prevent the erection of a physical border in Northern Ireland.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Might be important to add that finland currently holds the EU council presidency.

May 21, 2018
Hmm, has this become the official position of the EU or is it just a few of their leaders holding this opinion?

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, has this become the official position of the EU or is it just a few of their leaders holding this opinion?

The extension requires support from every country. As of right now, most countries are not pleased with UK's lack of communication, and UK has a lot of work to do to get them all onboard in time to get the extension.

I am sure the EU Council (execituves) can cobble something in case of the a single veto, but they would be stupid to do this if multiple countries don't support the extension.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
I can't imagine the frustration at European leaders who granted an extension only for there to not only have been zero progress in that time, but for the UK to actually made things worse.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
"We have now shared in written form a series of confidential technical non-papers which reflect the ideas the UK has been putting forward," a British government spokesman said.

"We will table formal written solutions when we are ready, not according to an artificial deadline, and when the EU is clear that it will engage constructively on them as a replacement for the backstop."

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
"We have now shared in written form a series of confidential technical non-papers which reflect the ideas the UK has been putting forward," a British government spokesman said.

"We will table formal written solutions when we are ready, not according to an artificial deadline, and when the EU is clear that it will engage constructively on them as a replacement for the backstop."

"We have the formal written solutions here, but she goes to another school and you wouldn't know her"

May 21, 2018

Sounds like a dare.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017

That ego... The British are really struggling with dealing with the fact they are no longer the great British Empire.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I have a client that's due to publish a corporate white paper by the end of this month. It's on a fairly niche, low-impact subject, with only a few people who need to review / approve drafts. It'll still get delayed.

The odds of a proposal that will define the future of the country being done by then are not good.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
That ego... The British are really struggling with dealing with the fact they are no longer the great British Empire.
The most amusing part is that "when we're ready" still has to be within a four-week period of 30th September.

It's like a child who won't come in from playing in the garden to have dinner, but you know they're really hungry, so you let them have a minor victory and come in on their own terms... about thirty seconds after you'd originally asked them to.

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's a bluff (or some form of political theatre). Because the person who doesn't want an extension more than anyone else is Boris Johnson (as he's staked his political reputation on leaving the EU on Oct 31 with or without a deal). And if all he has to do is guarantee he won't get one is not to submit any alternative arrangements by the end of the month then that's great, as he wasn't planning to do that anyway.

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol, then it is over.

I hope both the UK and EU commission are prepared for a stalemate until a few days before.
I see nothing on both sides that reflects compromise, which means we are far from any form of agreement, and are still deeply within the rhetoric phase.

EDIT:

And there's the proof.

Last edited:

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the EU and getting so frustrated by now by Boris and his antics that I've almost started to root for a no-deal Brexit just for this to be over with, and to rob Boris of the chance to go down in history as a great negotiator. I'm not surprised even EU leaders feel the same.

Please just let it end.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

Lmao UK going sovereign citizen on international diplomacy

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
So three years later and still no plan?

We're approaching "repeal and replace the aca" with this one

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017

When you want to act tough but also want pity because you think the other guy is being mean.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
I didn't think anyone could look, sound and be more annoying than Trump, then the Brits pump out this imbecile

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
The world's economy is about to enter a tepid phase and the UE is no exception. Nobody wants a bad Brexit, specially now. So if some other member states feel that they could still use some more time for extra readiness, they'll probably allow it. No country wants to be remembered as the one that facilitated a shitty Brexit at the worst possible moment.

That said, a lot of countries have already written off the UK. The general consensus is that Brexit has become a horrible drain and that the EU should start focusing its strenghts elsewhere while the UK fixes itself. So it could really go either way. In any case, the UK is not getting anything out of it without going back to the negotiation table with a new proposal. It is what it is.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
'it's over' is kind of a strange phrase, seeing as even if no-deal happens, this whole mess will carry on for years and years.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Dear other EU countries,

PLEASE HELP.

I know you're frustrated. Me too. I'm very, very frustrated and scared.

Thanks,
Thomas

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Eh his bluffing EU will keep extending unless UK themselves will go out.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
30th would suit Johnson if he is ok for no deal. doesnt the Benn bill require an extension by mid-Oct? so Johnson doesn't have to do anything until mid October to satisfy Parliament, but - oh no - the EU has shut negotiations down. What a pity..

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Only takes a single member to say no on extension. Sooner or later that will happen.

That's not going to happen IMO. There is nothing to gain from such move and no country will break out of of the EU consensus even if some do not agree they will still vote for extension if majority wants it, no country will die on hill for this. Also that country would just be treated as the "bad guy" by media.