• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jun 24, 2019
Compulsory voting when both sides are advocating the same policies will definitely be effective.

If you're so put off by the two major parties, you would look at another party.

Be honest with yourself, if the law was made five years ago, that you are required to vote. You wouldn't vote for those two major parties.

Smaller parties can attract voters who felt excluded/apolitical and when that happens the power scales can be shifted, forcing larger parties to actually take your views seriously.

Jan 20, 2023
EO0TJwk.jpeg

Oct 26, 2017
If you're so put off by the two major parties, you would look at another party.

Be honest with yourself, if the law was made five years ago, that you are required to vote. You wouldn't vote for those two major parties.

Smaller parties can attract voters who felt excluded/apolitical and when that happens the power scales can be shifted, forcing larger parties to actually take your views seriously.

Which assumes most people who don't vote do so because they don't approve rather than just disinterest.

Forcing people to vote isn't going to change who people who already vote vote for.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the belief voting should be made compulsory, on the grounds that apathy voters can at least support independents/greens/libdems to tip the scale of power from majority parties and make advances to Proportional Representation.
Assuming low information non-voters would go the way you want if forced to vote in this media environment is incredibly naive

Jun 24, 2019
Which assumes most people who don't vote do so because they don't approve rather than just disinterest.

Forcing people to vote isn't going to change who people who already vote vote for.

I've considered and mentioned apolitical voters. It won't change what the majority voted for in the short-term, but long-term small parties will have a bigger share of the pie.

It happened with Labour in the early 20th century and Libdems in 2010 when majority of the electorate wanted a "newer" alternative. If Greens or another social democratic party was successful in scooping up those voters, it can shake things up.

Apolitical people can be politically motivated, it's happening as we speak. With those negatively affected by the tories, they're researching information, finding credible sources and reading up manifestos. Making it the law, can encourage electoral participation.

Assuming low information non-voters would go the way you want if forced to vote in this media environment is incredibly naive

Fair point. Compulsory voting can potentially convert apolitical into extremists supporters if they were exposed to disinformation, but I'd also argue voter apathy is as equally dangerous, as the far-right are always motivated to vote (Trump, Bush Jr, Nazis et cetra).

Snowman2

Oct 28, 2017
Increase inheritance tax and use that to improve the elderly care sector would be a start.

To be clear I am talking about an increase in the tax percentage rather than lowering the threshold in which it is paid. If your estate has enough to pay inheritance tax then you already have too much.

I'm with you but why wait for people to die for redistribution? Wealth tax is loads better and you don't have to worry about selling people on a "death tax".

I think the arguments around compulsory voting should revolve around it being healthier or not for democracy long term and less about whether it would be advantageous for your particular set of politics in an election right now. Reminds me of people saying things like "Are you sure you want PR? Reform/UKIP would get loads more seats", like yes actually, gotta be pro-democracy even when people don't/won't vote like I'd like them to!

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019
I think the arguments around compulsory voting should revolve around it being healthier or not for democracy long term and less about whether it would be advantageous for your particular set of politics in an election right now. Reminds me of people saying things like "Are you sure you want PR? Reform/UKIP would get loads more seats", like yes actually, gotta be pro-democracy even when people don't/won't vote like I'd like them to!

Precisely. If people are so fed up with the maintream parties pandering to older voters (who are technically the asset holding voting bloc), then electoral participation of non-asset holders are key in shifting the scales.

It's important to understand why do people flock to Reform/UKIP/far-right parties, rather than lump them in one box. Some may have felt disenfranchised by the two dominating political parties and grown bitter to having felt excluded. Not to excuse the racism and others forms of hate, but one ought to understand how has that hate manifested (poverty, disinfinformation, radical brainwashing et cetra) and how it came to be.

If the scales are shifted, with non-asset holders being the one to determine the outcome of elections. Mainstream parties will take your views seriously and would want to appeal to you.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I think compulsory voting doesn't really change the balance at all. Look at Australia - it has incredibly high rates of voting due to its laws, and yet we see the same sort of election results as we see here.

Theres no evidence to suggest that non-voters are not happy with or looking for an alternative to the main parties. It's just they don't bother voting for various reasons.

Mr. Virus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm with you but why wait for people to die for redistribution? Wealth tax is loads better and you don't have to worry about selling people on a "death tax".

There's also a counter arguments to the UKIP/Reform PR arguments with the Scottish and Welsh governments, even with their slightly different political makeups. Neither has or has had any reps from those parties, and the closest thing is
Alba, who's only MSP (and MPs) have been defectors.

Doesn't mean it won't or can't happen, but PR doesn't automatically result in the government being flooded with far right arseholes (outside the Tories).

Jun 24, 2019
I think compulsory voting doesn't really change the balance at all. Look at Australia - it has incredibly high rates of voting due to its laws, and yet we see the same sort of election results as we see here.
The balance is not changed dramatically, but Australia still has a more democratic voting system, where smaller parties can represent who people actually voted for and is a country that invests more socially. It's not like USA, where voters are mostly supressed.

And technically, you're not forced to vote in Australia, you just need to show up at the polling booth.

The psychology of the 'participation' is what is encouraged, influencing the public to take politics seriously.

Theres no evidence to suggest that non-voters are not happy with or looking for an alternative to the main parties. It's just they don't bother voting for various reasons.
This thread here is proof of people abstaining their votes as they have no hope in influencing the election/mainstream parties not appealing to them.

Sure there are various reasons why people don't vote, but it doesn't mean we should ignore it being a problem.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
If I was forced to turn up at the booth I would just draw a cock and balls on the form.

All of the UK parties suck ass.
Then why are you engaging in this thread? It clearly just seems to bother you.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to come across as snarky or whatever, just by your own admission, you would only vote if forced and even then would spoil your vote. You say all the parties suck, so clearly there isn't anything then can do they can do in the coming months to sway you so…it just seems to make you feel so negative to engage with politics, why not just ignore the thread?

Last edited:

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
Then why are you engaging in this thread? It clearly just seems to bother you.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to come across as snarky or whatever, just by your own admission, you would only vote if forced and even then would spoil your vote. You say all the parties suck, so clearly there isn't anything then can do they can do in the coming months to sway you so…it just seems to make you feel so negative to engage with politics, why not just ignore the thread?

Politics is about more than voting.

This is just prime gatekeeping to be honest, someone is talking about mandatory voting and I gave my opinion on the subject.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination

This is just prime gatekeeping to be honest, someone is talking about mandatory voting and I gave my opinion on the subject.
Hey now, I'm not gatekeeping - everyone should be involved for sure. I was just speaking up about it as the majority of your posts about UK politics are (understandably given the current environment) saying how awful it is. Personally for my own mental well-being, if something bothered me as much as it appears that you seem to be irritated (if that's the right word for it) by it, I'd step away from whatever it was causing me to feel like that.

Snowman2

Oct 28, 2017

I agree with you that there's a lot more to politics than voting, I don't know if it ever makes sense to completely disengage from electoral politics though. Even if you think that more good can be done outside of government (at all levels) than within the current structure - does it not make sense to vote for the party that is more likely to be sympathetic to and encourage and support those other forms of political action? (Whether that be unions, direct action, protests, community organising etc. etc.)

Any movement that wants meaningful change will have to be a movement that works within the state too. It's not an either/or situation, the strategies are complementary.

I don't know how you can view not voting as anything other than ceding an entire avenue of potential change to the powers that be.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
The trouble is, near me sometimes there is no avenue for political change on the ballot. I mentioned elsewhere we had an election here where the choice was literally Conservative or Lib Dem.

That ballot got spoiled.

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
There was an attempt to change things through "the proper channels" in 2015 to 2019 but that got shut down so hard it showed me that it's not possible.

What can you do though? No idea really, outside of helping people close to you.

Hey now, I'm not gatekeeping - everyone should be involved for sure. I was just speaking up about it as the majority of your posts about UK politics are (understandably given the current environment) saying how awful it is. Personally for my own mental well-being, if something bothered me as much as it appears that you seem to be irritated (if that's the right word for it) by it, I'd step away from whatever it was causing me to feel like that.

My mental wellbeing is fine thank you, I would advise not to backseat diagnose people.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
I've not read anything on compulsory voting and would be interesting to read any good studies on what affects this has but, on the face of it, it appears to be a very poor idea. You can't compel people to engage in politics. Forcing people to vote when they don't know and/or care what they are voting for cannot be a good thing for democracy. People should also have the right not to vote as much as they do the right to vote.

I would say that even if you end up just spoiling your ballot it is still worth voting but I also believe that even where the options are really poor there is still value in voting for the least worst option. I totally respect that there are some lines crossed that means people can no longer vote for a party but I don't see a vote as tacit approval of everything a party represents.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I mean compulsory voting does mean you can spoil a ballot and as far as I am aware this can and does happen in places like Australia. I'm personally not down with compulsory voting either but it doesn't mean you have to vote for a party.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
I mean compulsory voting does mean you can spoil a ballot and as far as I am aware this can and does happen in places like Australia. I'm personally not down with compulsory voting either but it doesn't mean you have to vote for a party.
Sure but how many people who wouldn't otherwise have voted actually ended up spoiling their ballot? I'd guess less than 50%, probably much lower.

Unless there is a clear 'none of the above' option on the ballot it is not helpful to force people into the voting stations but if we're honest any party that would consider compulsory voting would only ever do it if it they believed it beneficial to their chances. It isn't about getting people to vote regardless of whether they spoil their ballot.

Snowman2

Oct 28, 2017
I think the best argument is that there are some demographics (renters, poor, young) that are less likely to vote than others and there is this vicious cycle, where because they don't vote, politicians ignore their needs and so they get more jaded and disaffected, become even less likely to vote, and so on.

Looks like there's a whole book on this topic, "Full participation: A comparative study of compulsory voting" by Sarah Birch if anyone is THAT interested. But the summary I found said: "Sarah Birch summarises extensive cross-national evidence showing that in addition to higher turnout, compulsory voting can be shown to produce increased political participation outside of elections, lower inequalities of wealth, and greater trust in democracy".

I don't think you're giving people enough credit when you say that people who don't know enough are going to somehow endanger democracy if they're forced to vote. As if democracy needs to be left to us elite lot who know what's really going on. Democracy by definition works best when you include as many people as possible.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Ultimately this isn't a hypothetical. we can see from Australia what the impacts of compulsory voting are. And the long and short of it is - nothing. People aren't more engaged in politics, the same overall breakdowns of political loyalties occur, and they still elect moronic dipshits. Which matches up the studies that show people who don't vote generally have the same views as a whole as people who do. It doesn't even help minor parties - the last Australian federal election had less members elected from parties other than main two than our own parliament did.

It's just not worth thinking about. It won't have any major impact at all, it won't increase political awareness or understanding, it won't change the balance of power in parliament. Forcing people to vote when they don't want to engage with politics is putting the cart before the horse.

SuperEpicMan

Oct 25, 2017
At the end of the day, this is a politics discussion and coming in day in, day out with almost exclusively negative commentary doesn't really open the floor up for any discussion. Not saying this commentary is wrong, but there must be some avenues by which you see things improving? However unlikely they may be, like fairplay, Starmer is a fucking wet blanket, I get it, but what strategy can you get behind, which people or parties could you be excited about?

If the answer is nothing and no one, what is the point in any of us being here other than the miserable farce of watching shit slide down the drain under the guise of a discussion.

Snowman2

Oct 28, 2017
Ultimately this isn't a hypothetical. we can see from Australia what the impacts of compulsory voting are. And the long and short of it is - nothing. People aren't more engaged in politics, the same overall breakdowns of political loyalties occur, and they still elect moronic dipshits. Which matches up the studies that show people who don't vote generally have the same views as a whole as people who do. It doesn't even help minor parties - the last Australian federal election had less members elected from parties other than main two than our own parliament did.

It's just not worth thinking about. It won't have any major impact at all, it won't increase political awareness or understanding, it won't change the balance of power in parliament. Forcing people to vote when they don't want to engage with politics is putting the cart before the horse.

Plenty of strong assertions there with very little evidence. I don't think anyone is saying it would suddenly fix all of the current problems, but of course it would have some effect. You use Australia as your one example but research on compulsory voting in Australia found that it increased the vote shares and seat shares of the Australian Labor Party by 7 to 10 percentage points.

Various studies from around the world have found that compulsory voting significantly increased electoral support for leftist policy positions, that compulsory voting reduces the gender gap in electoral engagement in several ways, that higher rates of voter turnout lead to higher top tax rates, that it can reduce political polarisation, and that *removing* compulsory voting increases the vote share of large parties and reduces the vote share of "minor and extreme parties".

I agree that there are probably better ways to engage people but I don't think it should just be dismissed out of hand.

Jun 24, 2019
Anecdotal, but when I pop into Australian forums, they seem not-bothered by compulsory voting.

They quote "going to the booth is a pain the arse, but if I intend to tick 'none of the above' it's still better than having my vote supressed."

UK Conservatives introduced the need-for-IDs-at-polling for an issue that is non-existent. Deliberately made to disenfranchised the poor, disabled, non-English speaking, and the young.

Just look around, there is little to no advertisements of 'Bring your ID' or 'Apply at UK Gov', and we're in an election year. Are Londoners even aware that the mayoral elections has switched to FPTP.

Voting supression is vastly much more dangerous than compulsory voting. And it will get worse when right-leaning parties are at the helm of government, finding ways to rig elections and taking away our civil rights.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
If I was gonna spoil my ballot, I wouldn't draw a cock and balls. I'd write "I have decided not to vote for any of these candidates, but I hope you, vote counter, are having a good evening. I hope all your dreams come true. Democracy is a sham but you are not". Then I would kiss the paper (I'm wearing lipstick in this scenario).

But I don't do that. I vote for the least worst candidate, even if they are dogshit.

JonathanEx

Oct 25, 2017
Just look around, there is little to no advertisements of 'Bring your ID' or 'Apply at UK Gov', and we're in an election year. Are Londoners even aware that the mayoral elections has switched to FPTP.

There's definitely an Electoral Commission TV ad for bring your ID, but no idea how widespread it is. I suspect not highly. The premise is a giant post it note telling you to bring ID. I guess they get to push it around the locals.

For London, the candidates pack they send out does explain the voting system. I've also seen some poster ads from the council explaining to need ID.

I don't think these campaigns are massive - there's a lot more to be done - but just to say what I've come across.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
What? It's on like every podcast.

Have you not heard the advert with the women yelling "babe can you make sure I don't forget my photo ID when I vote"? Cus for me she's boarding on granny I got the job territory

Jun 24, 2019
There's definitely an Electoral Commission TV ad for bring your ID, but no idea how widespread it is. I suspect not highly. The premise is a giant post it note telling you to bring ID. I guess they get to push it around the locals.

For London, the candidates pack they send out does explain the voting system. I've also seen some poster ads from the council explaining to need ID.

I don't think these campaigns are massive - there's a lot more to be done - but just to say what I've come across.
I've come across tidbits as well, posters at train stations, some banners and whatnot.

But a lot of the promotional awareness are concentrated in central and up north London. Deprived boroughs is where the vulnerable, marginalised, and the uninformed mostly reside.

What? It's on like every podcast.

Have you not heard the advert with the women yelling "babe can you make sure I don't forget my photo ID when I vote"? Cus for me she's boarding on granny I got the job territory
Not every average joe/jane/person spends time listening to podcasts.

Consider digitally excluded groups (ESOL, migrants, rough sleepers, people with disabilities, sensory impediments..) who are already at an disadvantage from the voting ID rules.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I've come across tidbits as well, posters at train stations, some banners and whatnot.

But a lot of the promotional awareness are concentrated in central and up north London. Deprived boroughs is where the vulnerable, marginalised, and the uninformed mostly reside.

Not every average joe/jane/person spends time listening to podcasts.

Consider digitally excluded groups (ESOL, migrants, rough sleepers, people with disabilities, sensory impediments..) who are already at an disadvantage from the voting ID rules.

I don't think there's any specific targetting of those adverts. Croydon station is full of them and you don't get more south london than that!

Oct 31, 2017
I've seen voter id posters pretty frequently, but I don't think I've seen anything telling people about the (incredibly cynical) switch to fptp for the mayoral election