• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Haha, didn't even get a news notification

I think most have accepted that this stage of the story is over now.

Not that this means that the Brexit talk is suddenly going to come to an end, of course.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Haha, didn't even get a news notification

I think most have accepted that this stage of the story is over now.

Not that this means that the Brexit talk is suddenly going to come to an end, of course.
It's too bad that "Get Brexit Done" might actually work because even the press has totally lost interest in covering the rest of the process in any great detail. I almost expect the rest of the negotiation to go by pretty noiseless... while of course not painless...

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
It's too bad that "Get Brexit Done" might actually work because even the press has totally lost interest in covering the rest of the process in any great detail. I almost expect the rest of the negotiation to go by pretty noiseless... while of course not painless...

The government is trying to ensure the negotiations take place with minimal scrutiny by both the legislature and press - we've already seen them take steps to this end.

I wonder if our press will get more info from speaking to the EU-side over the next year - they've already shown way more transparency.

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
The Harry/Megan "controversy" is the new story for Brexit crowd. The papers will bang that drum until they feel they're safe enough away to start reporting how terrible brexit's reality is for the country and who can they blame for it.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Guys we're getting Brexit done!!!!!!!!

No more Brussels telling us what to do!!! Bloody unelected officials ruining MY country.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone else surprised at how much this Government is standing up to the US?

Specifically the Huawei thing, and now the digital services tax.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

The Digital Services Tax part just seems like standard bigging yourself up before negotiations start. They can easily introduce it now, schedule it to start in, let's say 2023, then negotiate it away in the trade talks. Besides, the Tories have learnt they can concede in the the actual negotiations and keep taking the same line as before without consequence, indeed even being rewarded for it.

The Huawei thing is slightly more complex in that there doesn't seem to be another good option to build the 5G infrastructure out there. Looks like it's getting approved now.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I imagine it's a bit of chest thumping before bending over so people don't presume we are a bunch of lapdogs when we sign a shit deal.

The Huawei thing, who knows, until it starts getting implemented anyones guess.

Oct 27, 2017
Not really politics but I see online they're testing 4 people for Coronavirus in Scotland now, saying they've all traveled from Wuhan in the last 2 weeks so the great news there is they've been walking around infecting lots of other people for a while.

Lovely little SARS panic to start the decade.

Ando

Apr 21, 2018

i do wonder sometimes if we'll look back in a few decades and see this period as actually one of us tightening relations with europe. we are getting much closer to france on foreign policy and military issues in recent years and having "done brexit" gives parties more political cover for closer ties among a euro-sceptic electorate.

Infi

Oct 27, 2017
I think the Huawei thing is just that they don't want to piss off China and they think America wont be too bothered by it

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
After all their propaganda that led to where we are, and where we'll be after Brexit, they deserve it.

Hopefully, the tv licence is abolished soon too.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
After all their propaganda that led to where we are, and where we'll be after Brexit, they deserve it.

Nah, I'm upset by the bbc recently but that Cummings fuckbag would like a Fox news in this country. Middle class small c conservative establishment types will seem like heaven compared to that nutbaggery.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
The Beeb's probably done more harm than Fox does (in regards to undecided voters) because Fox never attempts to seem neutral on issues. The Beeb does and is utterly biased towards the Tories in a way that many folks don't even realise.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy for them to slim it down, I don't care for a 24 hr news network they fill up with conservative think tanks and journalists to kill time etc.

The BBC news section does the Tories a lot of favours really.

Slimming it down is fine to a degree, but I was pretty disappointed at them axing Victoria Derbyshire's show, because that's a genuinely brilliant program that tends to focus on issues often hidden by the big news agendas.

Similarly, I think Today is an enjoyable listen (although it's less hilarious now we don't have any cabinet ministers fucking up completely during my commute) and Newsnight has broken some huge stories.

I'm not fully in agreement on your last point - I'd wager that Cummings et al despise it because they perceive it to be too much in the other direction - but understand the criticisms some have.

But yeah, once you go down the route of scrapping public broadcasters, it's going to be hard to bring them back :(

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'm not fully in agreement on your last point - I'd wager that Cummings et al despise it because they perceive it to be too much in the other direction - but understand the criticisms some have.

Well yeah, but Cummings isn't a run of mill conservative, he really wants to turn everything upside down, there's lots of stuff the bbc does that favours the establishment, just the language used in the business section and the endless traders they bring on to discuss it. Its not all deliberate or anything, it's just the bbc for you.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
Northern towns like my own that voted the Tories in are apparently already going to have their council budgets cut and the money being sent to Southern counties. People are fucking dumb and we deserve everything that's coming to us.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Northern towns like my own that voted the Tories in are apparently already going to have their council budgets cut and the money being sent to Southern counties. People are fucking dumb and we deserve everything that's coming to us.

I believe that has been slowly happening since the Cameron days, it's definitely not a new thing, I feel for the people who didn't vote for them, but people in food banks did.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019

Even if what you say and imply is 100% true, cui bono?

'Yeah, hahaha, die BBC. You deserve it!!'
*Tory steamroller carries on*
'hahaha. oh'

Consistently feel people want to feel aggrieved over anything else.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
I believe that has been slowly happening since the Cameron days, it's definitely not a new thing, I feel for the people who didn't vote for them, but people in food banks did.
I know we've had cuts here for a long time but I'm just dumbfounded anyone thought things would change under a Tory council. We've(Grimsby) got high levels of poverty here and that certainly won't be changing anytime soon. Think a third of children are living in poverty which is shameful.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I know we've had cuts here for a long time but I'm just dumbfounded anyone thought things would change under a Tory council. We've(Grimsby) got high levels of poverty here and that certainly won't be changing anytime soon. Think a third of children are living in poverty which is shameful.

During the GE people in Northern towns were saying they are voting tory because they are sick of the money going to cities and places like Wigan. As if it's the labour MPs deciding that and not the Tory government, people are fucked in the head.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Even if what you say and imply is 100% true, cui bono?

'Yeah, hahaha, die BBC. You deserve it!!'
*Tory steamroller carries on*
'hahaha. oh'

Consistently feel people want to feel aggrieved over anything else.

I can't speak for anyone else, but it's better to kill off a cancer, than risk it spreading any more than it already has. Not only did they take sides with the Tories, they became their mouthpiece and spread their lies. They are accountable.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
I can't speak for anyone else, but it's better to kill off a cancer, than risk it spreading any more than it already has. Not only did they take sides with the Tories, they became their mouthpiece and spread their lies. They are accountable.
The problem is that the BBC "cancer" is not in a healthy body. It's surrounded by a much bigger and more malignant Murdoch Cancer that will immediately invade that space you're creating. It's not like everyone's going to start watching Channel 4 news.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is that the BBC "cancer" is not in a healthy body. It's surrounded by a much bigger and more malignant Murdoch Cancer that will immediately invade that space you're creating. It's not like everyone's going to start watching Channel 4 news.

So how would you propose that they're held to account for their role in deliberately misleading the public.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Prioritising Question Time over literally anything else shows what a state the BBC is in. Absolute trash.

It's probably more complex than that, in fairness.

Newsnight is an in-house production at BBC News, and I presume Today is similar in that regard at Radio 4. QT is produced by an outside production company - Mentorn Media.

Presumably the latter is cheaper/not factored into the big central budget that they're having to save on.

[Edit: They're making cuts to the news department specifically - so QT wouldn't really be included in this budget anyway]

We'll see later next week anyway. I'm strongly against the gutting of public broadcasting - you absolutely don't get the breadth of content from a commercial entity.

I liked this from Freedland too:

Last edited:

softfocus

Oct 30, 2017
I don't wish to see the demise of the BBC but there has to be an inquiry on it's obvious bias. I think in this last election, they were the most bias, comparing them to Sky, ITV, and Channel 4.
I love their programmes, but their news side is a mess. I would shake it up and bring new faces in. A lot of the current faces have been about for years, and the BBC should be more about bringing in fresh talent, since they don't have to worry about advertiser's etc.

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
Ha, Freedland is a waste man.

All these idiot jurnos too busy trying to look impartial, instead of reporting the truth and facts.

For ages with climate change they didn't report on facts and always had to "balance the debate" with some cunt who's being paid by big energy.

The UK media is not fit for purpose.