• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
If they are here why don't they apply for settled status? These rules will only affect people after next year

That's the thing. We've got some who got their application rejected, and we also rely on "seasonal labour" from University students from abroad. They get jobs with our support centre during their time at University. We're also a very attractive company to work for if you want to just live here for a bit and experience the country, which is one of the most common reasons for people getting a job with us if they come from an EU country.

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
BBCQT was definitely something this week, someone wasn't keeping an eye on their racist grandma and let her out of the house.

Ash did a good job rebuking the BS.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
www.thetimes.co.uk

Home Office is ‘institutionally racist’, said report into Windrush scandal

A report that concluded the Home Office was “institutionally racist” over its “hostile environment” policy towards migrants has been toned down, The Times has been told.The Windrush review, commissioned in 2018 after Caribbean migrants were detained or deported despite having the right to live in Br

A report that concluded the Home Office was "institutionally racist" over its "hostile environment" policy towards migrants has been toned down, The Times has been told.

The Windrush review, commissioned in 2018 after Caribbean migrants were detained or deported despite having the right to live in Britain, was originally intended for publication at the end of March last year.

The phrase "institutionally racist" was included in an early draft of the report but no longer appears in more recent versions, according to sources familiar with the review.

Publication of the report has been repeatedly delayed and previous leaked extracts found that the department was "reckless" and had developed a "defensive culture" over immigration policy.

Leaks from an early version emerged last week during a row over the deportation of criminals to Jamaica. The extract said that the government should consider ending the removal of foreign-born offenders who had come to Britain as children. The Times has been told that this recommendation is also not in the latest version.

By the end it'll just say 'The Last Labour Government'

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like the kinds of edits and changes an institutionally racist ministry would insist on

Achire

Oct 27, 2017
www.theguardian.com

UK’s expensive visa fees 'could deter NHS staff and scientists'

High cost of entry under immigration overhaul will put off applicants, says thinktank

These are some eyewatering numbers for visa costs. I'm a scientist in a STEM field and part of the brain drain on which the UK University sector is built upon. There is a 0% chance I would have come here if I had to pay minimum £1600 and wait for weeks/months. And that's for one person, a lot of people with PhDs will have family. And how's this going to work for nurses and teachers who get paid a lot less than we do?

Edit: The visa cost for my 3 year postdoc would have been £5009, if I didn't bring my family over. With my wife and daughter it would 2-3 times that.

Last edited:

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
BBCQT was definitely something this week, someone wasn't keeping an eye on their racist grandma and let her out of the house.

Ash did a good job rebuking the BS.

Great job responding to the nutter.

I think if it was me, either in the audience or on the panel. I'd just get up and leave. The shock of that much ignorance is enough for me to say "I'm out"

edit: all the tweets under the BBCQT post.

Oh god.

The amount of racism is just in-fucking-credible.

Some might as well be straight up admitting that they are racist.

Last edited:

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Civil service are the next bunch of saboteurs on the will of the people blame list.

In other news, Varadkars's gone

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Seems to be going well with Patel

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ng-civil-servant-david-normington-immigration

Seems to be also a recap of the times story above, but i avoid anything Murdoch if i can help it.

According to The Times, Patel has sought to oust Rutnam from the Home Office, and he has raised concerns with the Cabinet Office about the minister. She has been accused of belittling officials, making unreasonable demands and creating "an atmosphere of fear", the paper reported.

Matters came to a head last week when a senior official collapsed after a meeting with Patel following an all-night effort to reverse a high court ruling barring the deportation of 25 foreign criminals to Jamaica.

She sounds like an absolute nightmare.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
www.theguardian.com

UK’s expensive visa fees 'could deter NHS staff and scientists'

High cost of entry under immigration overhaul will put off applicants, says thinktank

These are some eyewatering numbers for visa costs. I'm a scientist in a STEM field and part of the brain drain on which the UK University sector is built upon. There is a 0% chance I would have come here if I had to pay minimum £1600 and wait for weeks/months. And that's for one person, a lot of people with PhDs will have family. And how's this going to work for nurses and teachers who get paid a lot less than we do?

Edit: The visa cost for my 3 year postdoc would have been £5009, if I didn't bring my family over. With my wife and daughter it would 2-3 times that.

A mate of mine is currently going through the indefinite leave to remain process at the moment, having lived here, working and paying taxes, for years.

The money and bureaucracy involved is staggering. Not to mention the fucking idiotic testing - and this is coming from someone with a history and politics degree.

Last edited:

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be interesting to see if the UK sticks to this "no immigration" policy once the transition period is over, and shit really hits the fan.

I feel bad for anyone who will suffer under this as services of all kind deteriorate, but I won't deny there's a part of me that's curious just how bad the economic damage will be.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Home Secretary Priti Patel said:

Leaving the European Union gave us a unique opportunity to restore our national identity and forge a new path in the world.
By returning to the iconic blue and gold design, the British passport will once again be entwined with our national identity and I cannot wait to travel on one.

yay!!

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought they might try and space out some of this gammon bait. They've got 5 years and they've already blown through most of the good stuff.

Oct 27, 2017
London
Have no idea why it has to say 'BRITISH passport' on the cover, nobody else does this, such nationalism bait for boomers who want to remember the 1960s

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just wonder what politics is going to be like at the next election when people are sat around with their blue passports, outside the EU without any migrant workers around and nobody else to blame for all the problems that aren't going to be fixed.

I look at that woman on question time and just think these people aren't going to suddenly change now, they've got everything they wanted and they're still miserable hateful husks

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Patel's face would be a good way to campaign for Scotland to leave the UK.

Or at least one of the good ways to campaign for indy lol.

*sighs*, Blue is my favourite colour but these passports...

sepDSAz.gif

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
What I don't get is exactly how, if such things really matter to people, one's passport wasn't already entwined with one's identity. I've had what I've had since as long as I could remember, and to me, it was definitively a British passport. It being made blue doesn't magically increase that feeling; frankly, the opposite.

Besides, blue and gold is a bit of a continental colour set, no?

softfocus

Oct 30, 2017
Nobody cared about what our passports looked like till Farage pretended he did.
I can't wait to hold my blue passport... While waiting to queue for several hours in the "non-EU citizen" line at the airport, for fuck sake.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'm going to update my passport as soon as possible and hope for the best.

I don't want a blue passport.

In other news I saw Rory Stewart campaigning today...

Atrophis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 37 and never known a blue passport. I had no idea they used to be blue. I suspect most Brits has no idea they used to be blue. If our "national identity" is tied so closely tied to the colour of a fucking passport, then it says a lot about what a sad sack fucking nation this is.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
www.thetimes.co.uk

Brexit team seeks to evade Irish Sea checks on goods

Boris Johnson’s Brexit team has been ordered to draw up plans to “get around” the Northern Ireland protocol in the Brexit withdrawal agreement so the prime minister can play hardball with Brussels over trade.Officials in Taskforce Europe, run by Johnson’s EU negotiator David Frost, are working in se

Boris Johnson's Brexit team has been ordered to draw up plans to "get around" the Northern Ireland protocol in the Brexit withdrawal agreement so the prime minister can play hardball with Brussels over trade.

Officials in Taskforce Europe, run by Johnson's EU negotiator David Frost, are working in secret on proposals to ensure that there do not need to be checks on goods passing from Britain to Northern Ireland.

They believe the new attorney-general, Suella Braverman, might have to give new legal advice to justify the move. Insiders say she was appointed because her predecessor Geoffrey Cox was not willing to countenance action that will be seen in Brussels as a breach of the exit agreement.

"There is deadly serious internal work going on about not obeying the Northern Ireland protocol," a senior source said. "Taskforce Europe are looking into that. That's why they had Suella put in there."

The details emerged as Frost plans this week to spell out Britain's demands for a trade deal with Brussels, insisting on the same rights as Canada. Officials have not ruled out an attempt to try to claw back money from the EU divorce bill if the EU will not play ball.

Nothing like breaking the exit agreement less than a month after it became formal to engender trust.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I think that's trying to spin things in her favour, the civil servant in charge of immigration quit because of her. I don't think people will believe her smear campaign.

Yeah. The first part though, MI5 not sharing info with her because they don't trust her. That's some good stuff.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Yeah. The first part though, MI5 not sharing info with her because they don't trust her. That's some good stuff.

Boris has also reduced the amount of briefings he receives, not quite to Trump levels but he has put limits on the amount.

I would have to see more of that story about Intel explained to be honest, I didn't see the trust thing mentioned.

Ah, sorry I see it now, I don't do Murdoch stuff so I just went by the tweet, Tories of all people going on about the deep state.

Lol.

Last edited:

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
www.thetimes.co.uk

Brexit team seeks to evade Irish Sea checks on goods

Boris Johnson’s Brexit team has been ordered to draw up plans to “get around” the Northern Ireland protocol in the Brexit withdrawal agreement so the prime minister can play hardball with Brussels over trade.Officials in Taskforce Europe, run by Johnson’s EU negotiator David Frost, are working in se

Nothing like breaking the exit agreement less than a month after it became formal to engender trust.

"Okay guys, what if we say we'll carry out the checks, but cross our fingers behind our backs when we do so? What does the Vienna Convention say about that?"

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
"Okay guys, what if we say we'll carry out the checks, but cross our fingers behind our backs when we do so? What does the Vienna Convention say about that?"

I can't get past needing Suella Braverman, the Baldrick of legal minds to make the cunning plan work. It must be simpler to just tear the agreement up and tell the continental types to poke it.

excowboy

Oct 29, 2017
I can't get past needing Suella Braverman, the Baldrick of legal minds to make the cunning plan work. It must be simpler to just tear the agreement up and tell the continental types to poke it.

I heard IDS on 5Live politics this morning. He was basically saying the same absolute drivel - 'we'll need some flexibility in the legally binding international treaty we just signed that I voted for, or else the EU will hold too much power in the negotiations'.

Yes mate, it's exactly what anyone with any sense has patiently been trying to explain to you for most of the last decade, and certainly the last 4-5 years. Please just get in the fucking bin.

I almost couldn't believe what I was hearing. Almost... Great prelude to the next 10 months of Brexiters whining that the negotiations are every bit as difficult and one sided as common sense has said they will be since June 2016. Fuckwits.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I heard IDS on 5Live politics this morning. He was basically saying the same absolute drivel - 'we'll need some flexibility in the legally binding international treaty we just signed that I voted for, or else the EU will hold too much power in the negotiations'.

Yes mate, it's exactly what anyone with any sense has patiently been trying to explain to you for most of the last decade, and certainly the last 4-5 years. Please just get in the fucking bin.

I almost couldn't believe what I was hearing. Almost... Great prelude to the next 10 months of Brexiters whining that the negotiations are every bit as difficult and one sided as common sense has said they will be since June 2016. Fuckwits.

The only thing i can think of, is that these clowns have never in their political careers had to be involved in trade negotiations or something, i just don't get it anymore. i thought Tories understood the importance of trust in striking a deal, this isn't the same as squashing a trade union.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing i can think of, is that these clowns have never in their political careers had to be involved in trade negotiations or something, i just don't get it anymore. i thought Tories understood the importance of trust in striking a deal, this isn't the same as squashing a trade union.

Honestly, I think it reflects how they view things like the law, or perhaps more pertinently, taxes. Yes, there's on paper rules, but they don't believe these things to truly, entirely apply to them. Doesn't matter so long as you aren't caught, and even if you are, the people you have to submit to are probably on your side anyway.

Turns out sovereign nations unified under one of the world's largest political blocs are a different kettle of fish

excowboy

Oct 29, 2017

He was also bemoaning the UK's lack of expertise in negotiating trade deals, and how we need to get the best people who understand the important details, so yeah, you're probably onto something. It was a slightly terrifying listen in all honesty.

Edit: you can hear it here from about 7:00: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000fqm9

Last edited:

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Ah well, i'm no expert but they shouldn't forget the US congress will more than a little pissed about all of this, i thought of that pretty much straight away and an article just popped up from a former Irish ambassador pointing that out as well. But this is the government of Boris bridge across a million tonnes of explosives Johnson.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Some lighter news

https://amp.theguardian.com/media/2...one-hacking-damages?__twitter_impression=true

The Sun recorded a loss of £68m last year amid falling print sales and the enormous cost of phone-hacking claims against its parent company from figures including Sir Elton John and Heather Mills.
Rupert Murdoch's News Group Newspapers, which publishes the Sun and retains liability for the activities of the News of the World, spent an enormous £54m on legal fees and damages related to the illegal interception of voicemails.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Ah well, i'm no expert but they shouldn't forget the US congress will more than a little pissed about all of this, i thought of that pretty much straight away and an article just popped up from a former Irish ambassador pointing that out as well. But this is the government of Boris bridge across a million tonnes of explosives Johnson.

Yeah, there's no real pro-UK lobby in the US, but there's a large pro-Irish one, particularly in Democratic circles. No way can the UK thumb their noses at the Irish border issue and expect a light reaction from the EU or the US