• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Moosichu

Oct 25, 2017
All of the economic arguments (and some of the political) arguments against Brexit apply to Scottish Independence, ironically because Brexit is happening. An independent Scotland that is part of the EU is only really workable in a situation where the UK has incredibly open trade with the EU - because an rUK-Scotland border would devastate Scotland, therefore this would leave the Scottish government in a situation where the rUK is dictating all the terms on trade, and unable to join the EU. Which would be much less democratic for the citizens of Scotland and lose them a lot of power.

Which really sucks, Scotland is in a mess not of its own-doing and the only exit option could make that mess worse for them. :/

ronpontelle

Oct 27, 2017
Surely you've got it the wrong way round?

If Scotland leaves the UK and joins the EU then if it starts to grow faster than the rest of the UK, particularly the North, then you're going to get a lot of competition and potential brain drain - companies might prefer to park on the Scottish border and jump through the hoops for the UK rather than vice versa.
The thinking is that Scotland does huge amounts of trade with the rest of the UK, if Scotland leaves and then can't trade as freely with the UK because Scotland is in the EU and the UK has a restrictive trade deal with the EU, it's not as good for Scotland. At least in the short to medium term. It'll certainly be disruptive.

Who knows how it'll all pan out, but like brexit, it's about feeling rather than finances for many people.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Fucking hell apparently the Extinction Rebellion has been placed on the extremist watchlist by counter-terrorism police. That put sit alongside neo-nazis and pro-terrorist Islamic groups. Lovely.

softfocus

Oct 30, 2017
Apparently Starmer has hired some idiot (Matt Pound) who has campaigned against a "hard left", who's been pictured in a shirt with "Zionist shitlord" printed on it.
Why can't Labour vet their staff better to avoid problematic shitheads getting in and fucking things up?

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Fucking hell apparently the Extinction Rebellion has been placed on the extremist watchlist by counter-terrorism police. That put sit alongside neo-nazis and pro-terrorist Islamic groups. Lovely.
shockednotshocked.gif.

So I guess understandably this thread has died since the election. and the settling of The Question.
So is everything just to pre brexit mundaety in UK politics?

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Apparently Starmer has hired some idiot (Matt Pound) who has campaigned against a "hard left", who's been pictured in a shirt with "Zionist shitlord" printed on it.
Why can't Labour vet their staff better to avoid problematic shitheads getting in and fucking things up?

That's a weird mix, he's going to be working under Kat Fletcher, who was a key member of the Corbyn team at the start of his rise to power, i'm expecting fireworks at some point.

Ando

Apr 21, 2018
starmer's appointments do represent a cross-section of the party and nod towards his great strength which is the potential to unify the party around a single direction

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
starmer's appointments do represent a cross-section of the party and nod towards his great strength which is the potential to unify the party around a single direction

Yeah, it's just they are politicians at the end of the day, hopefully Starmer can pull it off because the party desperately needs to bury the hatchet.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017

Of course they have, their probably classed as a threat above those other groups knowing our establishment.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My wife got her PIP reassessment yesterday and was denied again. So now that's over a year wait for a tribunal to probably only be denied again. And we will likely be homeless before that and just die over the next winter anyway. And I doubt we will wait for it to reach that point and just take it into our own hands anyway.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
My wife got her PIP reassessment yesterday and was denied again. So now that's over a year wait for a tribunal to probably only be denied again. And we will likely be homeless before that and just die over the next winter anyway. And I doubt we will wait for it to reach that point and just take it into our own hands anyway.

:(

*solidarity hug*

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017

Why over a year, or do you mean a year since you initially applied (or that in total it will be a year by the time you get to tribunal) ?

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why over a year, or do you mean a year since you initially applied (or that in total it will be a year by the time you get to tribunal) ?
When we spoke to the CAB last about it they warned us the waiting time for tribunals for this in our area is a year and 3 months due to how backed up they are. We're already 7 months into the process now so it will be closer to 2 years by then
The only shining light is when my father had to go through the same he was called up a few weeks after he filed for the tribunal and accepted so perhaps we will get lucky too, but I'm not expecting it.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
The only shining light is when my father had to go through the same he was called up a few weeks after he filed for the tribunal and accepted so perhaps we will get lucky too, but I'm not expecting it.

Well my wife is in the same situation atm, hoping for a short wait for the Tribunal but like you, not expecting it.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
When we spoke to the CAB last about it they warned us the waiting time for tribunals for this in our area is a year and 3 months due to how backed up they are. We're already 7 months into the process now so it will be closer to 2 years by then

Oh wow, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you get your tribunal date much sooner than that.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Such a shame it looks like Lewis isn't going to get enough Nominees. I think he'd be really worthwhile in the leadership race. Much better than fucking Jess Phillips.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird seeing all the NI leaders/MPs play nice with Boris this morning when hating him is probably the one thing that unites everyone in Stormont at this point. Got to get that money somehow considering we really need it.

rabathehutch

Nov 1, 2017
Clive Lewis has dropped out the race to allow his nominees to pick another candidate before 14:30. But he only had five or something so it's not going to change anything. Not sure why he gained so little traction I thought he had some decent ideas it's a shame it would have been good to have him on the ballot and at hustings.

I think Thornbury has ran an embarrassing campaign; she's the most experienced of all the candidates and has just floundered. No coherent message, did really poorly in interviews and couldn't address the attacks on her.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Yeah really sad to see Lewis drop out but he didn't really have a chance at this point. Of everyone left over, I guess Starmer seems to be the most promising, although I've got a big bag of caveats.

Chem

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
I still believe that it should've been a fresh batch of candidates because apart from Stramer, Lewis and Nandy (to a degree), none of them appeal to me and I suspect that's the same for a lot of people.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I still believe that it should've been a fresh batch of candidates because apart from Stramer, Lewis and Nandy (to a degree), none of them appeal to me and I suspect that's the same for a lot of people.

It's not easy after a wipeout at an election, the party needs someone to steady nerves and rebuild confidence. I don't see people being in the mood to take a gamble and put 10 more Tory years as a more than very likely outcome.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah really sad to see Lewis drop out but he didn't really have a chance at this point. Of everyone left over, I guess Starmer seems to be the most promising, although I've got a big bag of caveats.

Clive is a proud remainer and won't take any shit regarding racism. Labour don't want to talk about either of those, lest they offend their ex-voters in some Northern-stereotype town.
I also see RLB is in the news again promising to abolish the House of Lords. This is pretty bad messaging. Few people really give a shit about constitutional issues, regardless of what they say. Focusing on big lefty political issues instead of policies that directly affect people is (a major reason) why Labour lost a lot of votes. I know RLB was mocked during the election for dodging questions on how to help Yorkshire flood victims by redirecting it to make a point about climate change.

Stamer's position as a 'unity' candidate is almost certainly going to win him the leadership. His toughest test will be avoiding the infighting and drama between his staff that seem to come from very different positions in the party.

Moosichu

Oct 25, 2017
Surely you've got it the wrong way round?

If Scotland leaves the UK and joins the EU then if it starts to grow faster than the rest of the UK, particularly the North, then you're going to get a lot of competition and potential brain drain - companies might prefer to park on the Scottish border and jump through the hoops for the UK rather than vice versa.

Sorry for the slow reply here. The answer is no, because Scotland trades much more with the rest of the UK then it does the EU, source:

Scotland still conducts the majority of its trade within the UK: in 2014, Scotland's exports totalled £76 billion, of which £48.5 billion (64%) was with constituent nations of the UK, £11.6 billion with the rest of the European Union (EU), and £15.2 billion with other parts of the world.

This is why the economic argument as to why leaving the EU so Britain can trade more with the "rest of the world" is also so dumb. The UK's biggest possible trading partner *is* the EU, so leaving the EU to trade more with other nations doesn't make a lick of sense.

Similarly, Scotland leaving the UK to be part of the EU doesn't make sense, unless the UK and the EU have open trading with each other, Scotland would be negatively impacted by this. (rUK would be as well, similar to how Brexit harms the EU. But because the EU is larger than the UK, it is less affected by it than the UK is. Same deal with Scotland and rUK).

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
Clive Lewis has dropped out the race to allow his nominees to pick another candidate before 14:30. But he only had five or something so it's not going to change anything. Not sure why he gained so little traction I thought he had some decent ideas it's a shame it would have been good to have him on the ballot and at hustings.

I think Thornbury has ran an embarrassing campaign; she's the most experienced of all the candidates and has just floundered. No coherent message, did really poorly in interviews and couldn't address the attacks on her.
I think Clive pulling out helped Thornberry get enough nominations to be on the ballot

Chem

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
It's not easy after a wipeout at an election, the party needs someone to steady nerves and rebuild confidence. I don't see people being in the mood to take a gamble and put 10 more Tory years as a more than very likely outcome.

Some of us said that about the first decade of Tory rule and look what happened.

Corbyn gave me hope mostly because he was a newcomer (A newcomer to people like me who aren't deep into Labour).

WonderBoyd89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Jess Phillips getting into a war on words with Nicola Sturgeon on Twitter is doing her any favours.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I don't think Jess Phillips getting into a war on words with Nicola Sturgeon on Twitter is doing her any favours.

Phillips seems to have at least partially taken on-board the suggestion from right-wing media that the only way Labour can come back is by throwing minorities, young people and Scots under the bus.

Which is akin to getting advice from a shark on how to avoid being eaten by sharks.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Some of us said that about the first decade of Tory rule and look what happened.

Corbyn gave me hope mostly because he was a newcomer (A newcomer to people like me who aren't deep into Labour).

He's done some good hopefully, the party is thinking more seriously about policy again and talking.

Phillips seems to have at least partially taken on-board the suggestion from right-wing media that the only way Labour can come back is by throwing minorities, young people and Scots under the bus.

Which is akin to getting advice from a shark on how to avoid being eaten by sharks.

I don't think she believes she can win the leadership, but she won't even make the shadow cabinet if she carries on being a plank.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's pretty nuts and how is telling the truth more embarassing than lying in this regard, you think that was never going to come out.

A Home Office spokesperson said: "Work is already under way with the police to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. Last year, the UK sent over 30,000 conviction notifications through ECRIS to EU member states and received over 16,000 from the EU, helping ensure serious criminals were brought to justice."

What's with the statistics. If the UK got 16,000 from the EU and the UK had 75,000 + or - the 30,000 if that's a backlog or ones they didn't divulge as mentioned, do we have disproportiante amount of EU criminal scumbags?

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
What's with the statistics. If the UK got 16,000 from the EU and the UK had 75,000 + or - the 30,000 if that's a backlog or ones they didn't divulge as mentioned, do we have disproportiante amount of EU criminal scumbags?
All that really tells you is that more people from EU are in the UK to work, then they are UK nationals in the EU. I would assume there's no major deviation in how likely it is that anybody commits crimes, or at least is caught for them. At least when speaking about EU and UK nationals