• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, does it mean 43% of UK adults don't earn enough to pay taxes? As in, unemployment, poverty (or super optimized tax haven)?
they don't earn enough to pay income tax <£12,500. There's all sorts of other taxes people pay though like VAT for example which are actually a lot more regressive.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I have always thought everyone should pay some income tax, because of daft arguments like this and the punching downwards syndrome that is running amok.

Salty_Josh

Oct 28, 2017
Feel like that same article has been rewritten over and over agin for the last 5ish years and the torries just haven't read it yet
Jk I know they read it. They dgaf

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
It's from an IFS report.

What use is record employment when 43% of people earn less than 12.5k a year.

That'll include millions of pensioners that don't make over the threshold and economically inactive folks, which should reduce the number substantially and wouldn't show up in employment figures.

Even then, though, that's an absolutely astonishing number. I just used a calculator to check what a minimum wage job (over age 20), worked 35 hours a week, would net you - and it puts you over the taxable threshold. Which makes me wonder just how prevalent under-employment is.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even then, though, that's an absolutely astonishing number. I just used a calculator to check what a minimum wage job (over age 20), worked 35 hours a week, would net you - and it puts you over the taxable threshold. Which makes me wonder just how prevalent under-employment is.
The joys of the 0 hours contacts.
Still, back on topic: the fact someone at the BBC suggesting rich people skills have more political power over poor people should be surprising, but somewhat isn't. That's really the kind of thinking I expect from this kind of hyper insulated people.

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
a lot of the pundits and journalists just don't realise how hard it is to find a full time minimum wage job in parts of the country.

I live in south Wales and a few years ago I lost my job because the business went bust and I spent just over a year on the dole trying to find a full time job.

Most of them were zero hours rubbish or full time work for a month I was lucky that the civil service were recruiting for full time and permanent jobs. Any longer and I would have went insane.

Oct 25, 2017
Boris is on an 'anti-crime' bent today, which reminds me that they seem to just want to expand powers and put money into the system, instead of y'know, thinking what's good for the citizenry. Who knows what crackdowns him and Priti are cooking up for if they ever end up with a parliamentary majority.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Boris is on an 'anti-crime' bent today, which reminds me that they seem to just want to expand powers and put money into the system, instead of y'know, thinking what's good for the citizenry. Who knows what crackdowns him and Priti are cooking up for if they ever end up with a parliamentary majority.

He seems to have found a few billion for locking people up as well.

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
User warned: ableist language
They are playing to the fan base with this one.

Absolutely retarded decision when there's a skill shortage in a lot of technical jobs that pay way less than 36k.

or....

They are factoring in the pound taking a dive come 31st October and everyone will want to be paid in Euros

EDIT - Apologies for using ableist language. This current government's decisions are evil.

Last edited:

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018
Baffling to see anyone use a "just increase wages" argument to support or justify this, but there it is

Tory policy is truly Illusion 100 material

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EBt-0KgXkAENkkb

Liddle trying to out Liddle himself with this mad take

ss1

Oct 27, 2017
I mean increasing wages for these sectors is something that should happen regardless.

Only if there is a substantial increase in public funding for increasing salaries of Research Assistants and Scientists, which is not going to happen. I worked as a Research Scientist and was only earning £32K back in 2012. I doubt salaries have increased much since then.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Only if there is a substantial increase in public funding for increasing salaries of Research Assistants and Scientists, which is not going to happen. I worked as a Research Scientist and was only earning £32K back in 2012. I doubt salaries have increased much since then.
Yes, that's what I mean. Increase public funding to increase wages. Brexit or no Brexit makes no difference in terms of what should happen.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know who he is but I assume he's not being serious. My father-in-law on the other hand has turned Brexiteer since the referendum because we've all become "lazy and slovenly", obviously this guy was born with a silver spoon in his gob. Basically the take is if things were tougher and we had to work harder it'd be good for us - quite the take.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I don't know who he is but I assume he's not being serious. My father-in-law on the other hand has turned Brexiteer since the referendum because we've all become "lazy and slovenly", obviously this guy was born with a silver spoon in his gob. Basically the take is if things were tougher and we had to work harder it'd be good for us - quite the take.

I don't know, didn't Liddle get arrested for punching his pregnant girlfriend, he sounds like he partakes of aggro.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Liddle s a complete cunt, classic 'so hard done by' conceit bullshit, poor rich white man condescending to the working class with faux solidarity via endless hot takes and casual prejudice. Complete tool.

Theonik

Oct 25, 2017
they don't earn enough to pay income tax <£12,500. There's all sorts of other taxes people pay though like VAT for example which are actually a lot more regressive.
Income tax only covers traditional income sources. It does not include people that are retired, students, capital gains etc etc
It's pretty complicated, and a quirk of how capitalism works in a practical sense.
The Median Full-Time Gross earnings in the UK for the employed stand at around £29,588. (which is anyone working over 30hrs per week)
With that being said, what's really complicated from these figures is working out real unemployment and underemployment in real terms.
Someone who makes £12.5k PA but owns a house or is living with their parents is probably better off than someone who works full time but has to rent a flat in pure financial terms.

phisheep

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
Oct 26, 2017
This will depend on how likely no deal is, which is what the Brexit Party have decided it has to be, and whether Farage can really put his personal desire for power aside to help Boris.

... and on whether Labour brexiteers can stomach voting a Conservative government in. Many of them round here won't (says he optimistically).

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

43% of the population on less than 12.5k is ok though

Just to make it clear how bullshit this is. 36k is more than anyone at a starting lecturer position would earn in a university (at least, outside of London), let alone less junior positions. It would functionally mean you couldn't hire postdoctoral staff (i.e. highly qualified people with PhDs) from anywhere but the UK, which would be disastrous for practically every university in the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.