• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Its basically:

You can chose between whatever crap deal we can manage to get OR we can drop out with no deal

All bluster and no substance from what i can see.

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
so is this vote any good or not, there is large varying opinions, some say it is nothing more than a token vote for a cliff edge or bad deal, others are saying it is a huge gift to remainers to stop Brexit.

As I understood it the vote looked like a take it or leave it vote, but I might be wrong?

Are we talking about the concession? If so, I read it as an empty token gesture by David and May to quell any rebellion. It gives them absolutely authority to negotiate whatever they want and then at 2 minutes to midnight say to parliament take it or leave it, with leave it essentially being 'no deal'. Which creates the very real possibility of Parliament getting to choose between a bad deal and a worse deal. Hardly democracy's finest hour.

The principle should be one of either accept the deal that the government has negotiated, or rescind A50 and revert to the status quo. But we know the loonies would never allow that.

Mr. Sam

Oct 26, 2017
Parliament had the option of putting their foot down and demanding actual scrutiny in February. They were too shit scared to be seen as confounding the will of the people. The words barn, door, horse and bolted spring to mind.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I really hope parliament does its job, Davis likes to pretend the general election didn't happen, but it did.

A few Tory MPs doing the right thing will force government to meet reality and we might end up with something that isn't nation fucking in a few years time.

Crocks

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are we talking about the concession? If so, I read it as an empty token gesture by David and May to quell any rebellion. It gives them absolutely authority to negotiate whatever they want and then at 2 minutes to midnight say to parliament take it or leave it, with leave it essentially being 'no deal'. Which creates the very real possibility of Parliament getting to choose between a bad deal and a worse deal. Hardly democracy's finest hour.

The principle should be one of either accept the deal that the government has negotiated, or rescind A50 and revert to the status quo. But we know the loonies would never allow that.
I doubt the EU would, either, to be honest. Or, rather, if they thought that was actually a possibility, they'd never give a single concession.

Jackpot

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Official twitter account for Dept of International Trade (Liam Fox's dept) tweeted a Daily Mail article that attacks the Treasury Dept's (Hammond's dept) "false" Brexit forecasts. Tweet has since been deleted.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
The Sun ran an article today about BBC workers sleeping at their desks. The BBC responded thusly.

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
There's a very good reason that many political groups hate the BBC, and it's down to the fact that it's one of the most influential and trusted sources of news on the planet.

I don't always trust the BBC but I do care about their input.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
The Sun ran an article today about BBC workers sleeping at their desks. The BBC responded thusly.

A little follow up on the above:

10162017181017.jpg

A purer 1-10 scale of trustworthiness puts The Sun bottom, below even The Daily Star, with the BBC streets ahead of anything.

Twitter and Facebook are also hearteningly low.

Fuck The Sun.

Mr. Sam

Oct 26, 2017
Guys, I watched five seconds of Question Time and am suffering from what the doctor described as "Basically a thousand aneurysms at once."

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
A little follow up on the above:

10162017181017.jpg

A purer 1-10 scale of trustworthiness puts The Sun bottom, below even The Daily Star, with the BBC streets ahead of anything.

Twitter and Facebook are also hearteningly low.

Fuck The Sun.

I'd tend to go for one of the broadsheets, usually The Guardian, because the BBC's style favours brevity and seldom gives the kind of detail I expect. I think they do a decent job, though, it's purely a matter of my preferred style.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
I think ITN are well-respected, aren't they? They do the news for ITV, channel 4 and channel 5 and have a solid, well-established rep for producing good news coverage.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Study links Tory austerity to 120,000 deaths

Cameron and co. with as much blood on their hands as Blair.
Funny how this is barely being covered by some places, pretty sure BBC haven't said anything last I checked.

Absolutely shocking stats though, I mean if you told me it was 10,000 I would have been horrified but up to 200,000?! Something seriously needs to be done and people need to make a huge stink about it.

When you have the government accused of economic murder I think something is seriously fucked.

Mr. Sam

Oct 26, 2017
From the study itself:

Spending constraints between 2010 and 2014 were associated with an estimated 45 368 (95% CI 34 530 to 56 206) higher than expected number of deaths compared with pre-2010 trends. Deaths in those aged ≥60 and in care homes accounted for the majority. PES was more strongly linked with care home and home mortality than PEH, with each £10 per capita decline in real PES associated with an increase of 5.10 (3.65–6.54) (p<0.001) care home deaths per 100 000. These associations persisted in lag analyses and after adjustment for macroeconomic factors. Furthermore, we found that changes in real PES per capita may be linked to mortality mostly via changes in nurse numbers. Projections to 2020 based on 2009-2014 trend was cumulatively linked to an estimated 152 141 (95% CI 134 597 and 169 685) additional deaths.

This is before going into the data and methodology, which I'm not going to pretend to be qualified or disposed to do.

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
Do we have to bring Blair into it? Can we not just decry the policy on austerity, and the government's willingness to leave the poor to rot?
You're probably right, but it's so unsettling that people will almost universally condemn Blair, but there are still people who defend austerity dogma and believe the Tories are making the "hard decisions".

This draws comparisons with both their failings.

JonathanEx

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, I watched five seconds of Question Time and am suffering from what the doctor described as "Basically a thousand aneurysms at once."
I have long realised watching Question Time is a waste of time. It's just weaponised televised trolling, which the POLITICIANS NEED TO SORT OUT. (audience claps)

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
You're probably right, but it's so unsettling that people will almost universally condemn Blair, but there are still people who defend austerity dogma and believe the Tories are making the "hard decisions".

This draws comparisons with both their failings.

Ah, point. I'm so used to the mindset that no right-thinking person could defend austerity that I only saw one side of it.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
You might think it's crummy, I think a lot of people would say it's accurate.

Regardless of accuracy, it makes light of the number of people who have died via the Conservative government's austerity policies. To use the deaths of over one hundred thousand people in such a glib fashion... Urgh. This isn't a competition, and to say what you did minimises their deaths as it highlights the number of Iraq deaths.

But whatevs. Your choice to use your words. I've said my piece.

Crocks

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a stupid thing to say whatever the case, it's irrelevant. You can look at individual policies and see their effects. Go to war? It leads to deaths (shocker). Cut funding at hospitals? It leads to deaths (shocker). Death tolls aren't some score to tot up.

Mr. Sam

Oct 26, 2017
I have long realised watching Question Time is a waste of time. It's just weaponised televised trolling, which the POLITICIANS NEED TO SORT OUT. (audience claps)

It does indeed seem as though you can get a round of applause for the most banal, vapid points, provided you state them with a totally unnecessary level of FORCE AND VOLUME *standing ovation*

OP
OP
Dan

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
It's a stupid thing to say whatever the case, it's irrelevant. You can look at individual policies and see their effects. Go to war? It leads to deaths (shocker). Cut funding at hospitals? It leads to deaths (shocker). Death tolls aren't some score to tot up.

No, you're absolutely correct. It's not right to compare such things. Having known people who went to Iraq and Afghanistan and came back... not the same.. mean that I get quite angry when the subject of Blair and the consequences of his actions in that scandal are brought up. Especially when the ramifications of those actions are understated.

And I believe the effects of Cameron's austerity policy have been understated too. I don't think there's any way to measure the damage caused there.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Blair is a war criminal and deserves to go prison for his actions but bringing it up against this study comes across like 'whataboutism'. Not saying that was your intention but it's how it reads.

OP
OP
Dan

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't the person to make that comparison, but I bit on the mention of Blair from a response. I should have held back, so I apologise for that.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I think it is OK to compare fatalities, it is useful sometimes even if the causes are different.

I think such a thing has its uses, but only in an historical sense. That is, comparing the fatalities of the Vietnam War and, say, the Battle of Gettysburg can be enlightening, if only to get an idea of how little we've progressed (excepting technologically). But I think in a contemporary sense, it does nothing to help anyone, and doesn't change policy - the number of deaths from austerity still rises, just as the number of those killed in Iraq and Afghanistan as a consequence of the war still rises.

Edit:

No, you're absolutely correct. It's not right to compare such things. Having known people who went to Iraq and Afghanistan and came back... not the same.. mean that I get quite angry when the subject of Blair and the consequences of his actions in that scandal are brought up. Especially when the ramifications of those actions are understated.

Thinking on this, I suppose I'm much the same, just from the austerity point-of-view, so I apologise if I was a little... harsh? I've felt first-hand the awful effects of austerity, in many different ways, though I'm lucky enough to not have had to rely on foodbanks, so when such things are minimised in one way or another, I do push-back.

Peace, yo.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dan

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking on this, I suppose I'm much the same, just from the austerity point-of-view, so I apologise if I was a little... harsh? I've felt first-hand the awful effects of austerity, in many different ways, though I'm lucky enough to not have had to rely on foodbanks, so when such things are minimised in one way or another, I do push-back.

Peace, yo.

No worries, and peace indeed :) Your post had me thinking quite a bit about the austerity side, and had me looking at articles I somehow missed for a while, so I do appreciate you coming from that angle, thanks.

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
I don't understand why Hammond is seen as so low. He's pretty much the only person in the cabinet with a remotely level head at the moment. I can only assume it's purely because he's Chancellor, which pretty much equals automatic hate.

Brexiteers HATE him.

Opinion scores are irrelevant right now as they're badly warped by Brexit/Remain sentiment, like everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.