• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I remember watching a news report talking about legalisation about a year ago I think where they were speaking with a brit behind legal shops in the US and he said that due to the business opportunities and success of America the UK will legalise it too within 5 years so I think we will see some change eventually.

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
Of course May didn't even want to discuss it.

She's got to keep up the facade of the virtuous vicar's daughter. Except when it comes to demonstrating compassion towards the poor, disabled, foreign or anyone else marginalised in society. But, y'know, she's still a good Christian being tough on the menace of medicinal cannabis.

Mr. Sam

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like legalising marijuana - or decriminalising it, or whatever the correct word is, you god damn pedants - is such an easy slam dunk for the Conservatives; it would endear them to social liberals with minimal hand-wringing from the other side of the culture war. Of course, the Conservatives haven't really cared about courting social liberals since big Dave left and "citizens of nowhere."

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The issue will be the papers and their fear mongering of 'won't some think of the children' which will cause a shit storm.

Of course the fact that legalisation would actually reduce a lot of kids access to weed, because they now have to go through a legal shop instead of someone they know, doesn't really matter for most people.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
The issue will be the papers and their fear mongering of 'won't some think of the children' which will cause a shit storm.

Of course the fact that legalisation would actually reduce a lot of kids access to weed, because they now have to go through a legal shop instead of someone they know, doesn't really matter for most people.
I dont think that's really true. Kids have easier access to cigarettes than weed right now.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
I feel like legalising marijuana - or decriminalising it, or whatever the correct word is, you god damn pedants - is such an easy slam dunk for the Conservatives; it would endear them to social liberals with minimal hand-wringing from the other side of the culture war. Of course, the Conservatives haven't really cared about courting social liberals since big Dave left and "citizens of nowhere."

IIRC there are still a sizable (but declining) amount of people who are happy with it being illegal and don't really want the law changed.

And as with most things, the demographic split for/against is mainly based on age (with old people sticking to their love of being generally wrong and awful)

Cannabis%20crossbreaks-01.png

There is more positive info at the link i got that from here https://yougov.co.uk/news/2018/05/30/majority-now-support-liberalising-policy-towards-c/ but the breakdown above gives a decent indication as to why the Tories don't want to legalise/decriminalise

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I dont think that's really true. Kids have easier access to cigarettes than weed right now.
From my experience and examples I have seen it often easier for kids to get weed compared to alcohol specifically because they don't have id to buy drink but with weed they just need to know someone.

Of course they could get an adult to buy it for them but again the kids that would do this are most likely the ones already getting it from that person.

It would also more importantly stop weed dealers dead in their tracks. They already deal with thin profit margins so legalisation would easily put them out of business.

It also reduces the access to hard drugs, because what normally happens is a dealer will start with weed, realise they do a lot of work for not a lot of profit and so start selling higher margin hard drugs.

So with no kids going to dealers for weed they would also reduce their access to hard drugs.

Oct 26, 2017
There's plenty of evidence from other countries supporting legalisation. It'd also be a huge boost to the economy - growing, dispensaries + tax. Treat cannabis exactly like alcohol - opponents to the drug frequently cite kids smoking "super strength skunk" but with legalisation people would actually know the strength they're buying - we have ABV for alcohol. The only nightmare would be seeing how much our government will charge. Similarly for medical use.

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
My reaction to everything that comes from the mouth of this government:

giphy.gif

Hey, Theresa, how's that big push for more support for mental health issues? What about suitable housing, or indeed justice, for the survivors of Grenfell? What about that loneliness minister? Are we feeling less lonely yet? Theresa? Where you goin'?

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Yeah, this government have shown themselves to be singularly incapable of getting pretty much anything done that isn't the barely managed decline of our country into an irrelevant shithole.

Sammex

Oct 25, 2017
Just goes to show that if the Conservatives want to get the youth vote they should legalise it. I doubt a huge amount of conservative older voters are going to jump ship over the issue, where as I could see a lot of young voters voting for them if it meant legal weed.

The one other good thing about legalisation not mentioned is the tax raised from it can be used to help fund treatment of drug related health issues.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just goes to show that if the Conservatives want to get the youth vote they should legalise it. I doubt a huge amount of conservative older voters are going to jump ship over the issue, where as I could see a lot of young voters voting for them if it meant legal weed.

The one other good thing about legalisation not mentioned is the tax raised from it can be used to help fund treatment of drug related health issues.
Would also reduce a lot of prison costs since they won't have to deal with drug related crimes etc.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Would probably get banned/warned if I said what I'm really thinking about Trump's visit, so I'll opt for something more "polite" - I hope he eats something here that gives him the shits.

Mr. Sam

Oct 26, 2017

What a lot of Tory MPs have been saying, namely around this NHS announcement, is that you can't out-Corbyn Corbyn. You're going to give the NHS funding? He'll give it even more. You're going to legalise marijuana? He'll legalise heroin. Alright, maybe not, but you see what I'm getting at.

Spuck-

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Trolling, history of similar behaviour.
Guess who's back, back again.

Cmon, obvious stirring was obvious, but there was a valid point in there, you aren't going to be able to reverse Brexit at this point, because you don't even have a majority of the population that wants to reverse it.

Spuck-

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
What a lot of Tory MPs have been saying, namely around this NHS announcement, is that you can't out-Corbyn Corbyn. You're going to give the NHS funding? He'll give it even more. You're going to legalise marijuana? He'll legalise heroin. Alright, maybe not, but you see what I'm getting at.

Legalisation, or decriminalisation, should really be on the Labour manifesto, but I can see why it isn't. The papers already seize on the slightest bit of anything to attack Corbyn, Abbot etc, and you'd just be giving them more ammo for not much gain. Better to win a general election then go for it with the support of the Lib Dems.*

*Who are freer to have a big policy like that because they aren't in the spotlight, and any attention at this point is good.

Theonik

Oct 25, 2017
Decriminalisation while a good thing would distract from Labour's core pledges.
If it's going to be controversial I'd rather Labour focused it once more core pledges are implemented.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Lammy just got REALLY pissed off on Five Live. Can't remember the name of who he was arguing with (Conservative), but it genuinely sounded like it was going to come to blows.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

Knew there'd be trouble due to turning on the funding taps for just the NHS, but I wasn't expecting this.

Oct 25, 2017
Tom Tugendhat should've got the job, but it's impossible to put a remainer in any position of perceived power. Lieutenant colonel in the army, having served for 10 years and seen service in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

Oct 25, 2017
Mogg on LBC this morning saying tax rises for the NHS are a no go, however, cutting corporate tax from 17% to 15% will grow the economy enough to get more money to it.

Obviously.

Because that shit always trickles down.

This without even broaching how the Brexit he wants has already brought growth down down down to begin with.

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
Mogg on LBC this morning saying tax rises for the NHS are a no go, however, cutting corporate tax from 17% to 15% will grow the economy enough to get more money to it.

Obviously.

Because that shit always trickles down.

This without even broaching how the Brexit he wants has already brought growth down down down to begin with.

It's all too much and is making my gag reflex work overdrive. What the fuck is anyone doing asking JRM his opinion on everything from the NHS, to the budget, to general taxation, to defence spending and more, as if he's an authority on anything other than bullshit? He's a backbench MP, not a cabinet member. From LBC of all places too; what a contrast to the healthy hard dose of reality that James O'Brien brings.

The media needs to stop treating Mogg like some fucking prime minister-in-waiting. He's as vacuous as Boris and Farage, the only difference is that he has a posh voice and is a more evil version of the Demon Headmaster.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
It's all too much and is making my gag reflex work overdrive. What the fuck is anyone doing asking JRM his opinion on everything from the NHS, to the budget, to general taxation, to defence spending and more, as if he's an authority on anything other than bullshit? He's a backbench MP, not a cabinet member. From LBC of all places too; what a contrast to the healthy hard dose of reality that James O'Brien brings.

The media needs to stop treating Mogg like some fucking prime minister-in-waiting. He's as vacuous as Boris and Farage, the only difference is that he has a posh voice and is a more evil version of the Demon Headmaster.
LBC of all places? O'Brien is not representative of their usual programming. They've employed Katie Hopkins and Nigel fucking Farage.

Mogg gets interviewed for the same reason Farage was on Question Time fourteen billion times. The media only care about ratings.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
James O'Brien is getting more and more outspoken on his disgust with LBC and them using their platform to host scum like Farage and Mogg but they seem to not care and continue to plow ahead with their usual programming.

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
Yep this is another hammer blow to Swansea. All because we voted a tory out in the last election. Spiteful bastards.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
You know....

Since my trains have been massively fucked up, I really resent seeing Chris Grayling everywhere.

Why does this man still have a cabinet position?

Status
Not open for further replies.