• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
Most of the people are the very low end dont earn enough money from their job for the personal allowance to matter anyway.
The increase in the personal allowance was funded by the 2.5% increase in VAT back in 2010 along with a few changes made to NICs so its still give with one hand and take with the other.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Tracey Crouch is going in two footed on her Tory colleagues as she resigns from government:

She says that the delay in slashing stakes for fixed odds betting terminals is 'unjustifiable' and will cost lives, and that the policy is being delayed because of commitments made by some in Government to those with registered interests.

In other words: The Conservatives are putting their moneyed interests over and above the lives of poor people.

Colour me shocked.

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
Jordan Peterson is going to be on Question Time next week and the week after Aaron Banks.

Yh this country is fucked...

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Peterson's claim to fame is that he's so transphobic he couldn't understand the basics of a Canadian law. I want to be incredulous over the Beeb deciding to platform him but it might as well be Murdoch owned at this point.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Tracey Crouch is going in two footed on her Tory colleagues as she resigns from government:

She says that the delay in slashing stakes for fixed odds betting terminals is 'unjustifiable' and will cost lives, and that the policy is being delayed because of commitments made by some in Government to those with registered interests.

In other words: The Conservatives are putting their moneyed interests over and above the lives of poor people.

Colour me shocked.

Very damning stuff. Good for her for resigning on a point of principle, rare to see but very much appreciated.

There were quite a number of Tory MPs speaking up about this in the House yesterday, so this could lead to an amendment to the Budget. That'll be an interesting fight.

Especially when the Daily Mail has this as a headline!

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
I don't wish to downplay the seriousness of the investigation at all (hell, as a Jewish person myself it would surprise nobody that I have a pretty dim view of antisemitism), however I can't help but raise an eyebrow to this when...

The Metropolitan Police has stalled the launch of any criminal investigation into three pro-Brexit campaigns – citing "political sensitivities"

One wonders by what arbitrary measure crimes are classified as "politically sensitive" or not, and therefore whether or not they warrant investigation.

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
If someone posts hate speech on a private Labour chat group, and the police find out about it, the police will go after the poster, not Labour. Which is what's going on here.

The stalling of the investigation into VL etc is absolutely bonkers and a blatant example of corruption.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
if May stopped the security services investigating Banks two years ago then she has managed to somehow go lower in my estimation, i'm not sure if we will ever find out.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, apparently American evangelists are gearing up in the UK to fight abortion and Trans right?
https://twitter.com/CaseyExplosion/status/1048237057779404800
Why can't this country be normal...

I want to think this madness will be limited to protestants. The Catholics (in Ireland first and foremost) have pedophiles and the Opus Dei, but they wouldn't outright sign a pact with the devil..... right?

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017
So, apparently American evangelists are gearing up in the UK to fight abortion and Trans right?

I want to think this madness will be limited to protestants. The Catholics (in Ireland first and foremost) have pedophiles and the Opus Dei, but they wouldn't outright sign a pact with the devil..... right?
The TERFs have been kicking off for a while now

Spuck-

Banned
Nov 7, 2017

This isn't new at all, they've been funding the groups that protest outside abortion clinics here forever, and put a huge amount into the no vote on abortion in Ireland.

The irony of Americans complaining about Russian interference in their political process should be noted.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
...Okay so as someone who is both on the spectrum personally, and who knows at least two transgender people on the spectrum, if anything autism should strengthen the case for transition, not weaken it. Like, if their argument is anything other than autistic people being 'weird' - of which the most generous would be that our difficulties with social norms might lead us to defy gender expectations - then I have to counter with the fact that discomfort with one's gender identity can exacerbate one's ASD, because of the lack of stability and/or consistent norms both for one's self to abide by and with which for society to treat them. One of those aforementioned friends has specifically cited how HRT has lessened some of her more notable behaviours, and just brought a general comfort to her life.

That said, I think they're just suggesting that autistic people are 'weird', which is bollocks.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Nearly 50% of graduates are going into non graduate jobs....new report finds....casting doubt on the value of a lifetime of debt

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-46073769

Too many graduates in England are being left with big debts for too little payback, MPs are warning.

Nearly half of recent graduates were not working in graduate roles in 2017, the Commons education committee says.

Its chairman Robert Halfon also highlights the excessive pay of some university vice-chancellors, saying that is not value for money.

Spuck-

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
In news that doesn't make the news, the attempted fash march in Liverpool did not go well for them. Once again they didn't get out of a train station.

Whats telling is from their internal comms, most of them really don't want to come to Liverpool, and as a result the numbers have hugely dropped, from over a hundred a few years ago when they tried this, to less than a dozen now.

Anti-fascist organistion, it works.

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017
Peak poppy crazyness in my area:
90MlTxS.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
It's across multiple bus companies in Woking and Guildford (but not every bus), and it flashes between that and the route info every 5 seconds

Christ. Hope ya'll in Guildford have decent mnesic recall, lest the passengers forget the route info.

This is definitely my least favourite time of the year. Early christmas wank, fireworks, poppies. Awful.

Oct 26, 2017
What's wrong with poppies? Have I missed something?

Yep it's the accompanying nationalism, it's also the farcical competition that it's become (and then people being denigrated for not wearing one), seeing who is least forgetful and the tacky shit like above - putting them on a fucking bus. That's before getting into the whole, y'know, not actually being in support of any actions of our military.

War Christmas

Last edited:

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I'm travelling for business this weekend and I have no fucking idea if I should wear one or not. I don't generally have to mix with others so I don't tend to have to think about it.

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Poppy's have been weaponised by the right and are now used as a measure of patriotism. It's why football shirts now have them when they didn't ten years ago and players get abuse for not wanting to wear it on their shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.