• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
Every year the Royal Legion have to keep saying it's a choice whether to wear one or not, and every year millions of baying gammon ignore them.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Funniest/saddest part is that the most aggressive poppy supporters tend to be the national front style gammons who now support neo nazis.

You know, the people who killed the soldiers poppies are meant to represent.

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know whether this belongs here or if it deserves a thread or what, but I saw this story and just feel fucking sick to my stomach and want to vent somewhere.

Laughing party-goers burn effigy of Grenfell in 'callous and sickening' bonfire night scenes.

What the fuck is going on in this country that this happened, someone recorded it, and thought it was fine to share. Abhorrent.
Yeah, I saw a bit of this on Twitter. Fucking appalling.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
'"All the little ninjas getting it"'

Somehow I don't think the word was 'ninjas'.
You find some people who care enough to try avoiding using the N word (because they know they will get called out for it) will replace it with ninja, as if that somehow changes the fact they actually mean the N word.

Either that or as also suggested it's a burka reference.

Absolutely fucking disgusting though. The depths some people go and how little empathy they have is insane.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's wrong with poppies? Have I missed something?
It's not about remembering the dead. It's about trumping how Great Britain is. Kill the Jerries and all that shit. They don't give a shit about anyone, as long as their puffy, rosy cheeks can get drunk on sherry and talk about the good old days.

It's also for people that still glorify shit like Dads Army like it's the most intelligent representation of any World War television comedy.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nearly 50% of graduates are going into non graduate jobs....new report finds....casting doubt on the value of a lifetime of debt

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-46073769

I got lucky that a local small business was willing to take a chance on me with a job that took advantage of my skills.

And I mean, I have a distinction Mathematics MSc. And I have friends with Masters in engineering who work at Build a Bear because they couldn't find a job that didn't take advantage of them for low pay. They figured if they're gonna get paid low, they might as well do something that's not stressful.

OP
OP
Dan

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
This is indeed good news. That said, as abhorrent as this act was, it's remarkable that these are, so far, the only arrests related to the Grenfell fire.

Yeah. That is tragically ironic.

Heard on the radio that one of the fuckwits in the bonfire video was turned in by I think his father or grandfather...

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Everything is fine here.

How John Bercow keeps Keith Vaz's secrets

Readers may recall that we have reported extensively on how Mr Vaz's behaviour on committee trips abroad, paid for by the taxpayer, were the scene for some allegations of not following the rules of the House and bullying towards staff.

Mr Vaz denies all such actions. But we wished to see what documentation existed from the administration of these trips. We cannot.

This is because Mr Bercow has personally intervened and gone out of his way to bar Newsnight from asking the Information Commissioner or a judge to review the decision. We will not be able to overturn this decision, as journalists fought through the courts to get to see MPs' expenses.

Normally, this sort of determination can be referred to the Information Commissioner and then to the tribunals and courts to judge whether that finding is fair. My judgment is, if they did that, I had a reasonable chance of winning.

I suspect Mr Bercow agreed. That would explain why he has now used an unusual personal power to block any appeals.

This week, I was notified he has issued a "certificate" under section 34(3) of the Freedom of Information Act. This is, in effect, a personal release veto.

These sorts of vetos are supposed to be used sparingly - an emergency reserve power to guard sacred spaces if courts get it wrong.

That is because their use means I have no rights of appeal. The Information Commissioner's view is that, since the certificate is genuine, that is the the end of the matter. Any appeal to the tribunals will automatically be discarded. I can ask a judge to review his decision, but it would entail looking at a decision taken by a parliamentary officer. That would hit privilege from another direction.

The net result is that the Speaker, who denies bullying, has made an order to hide information about the behaviour of his close personal friend, Keith Vaz, a man who also denies bullying - supposedly to protect MPs' freedom of speech.

And then he has gone out of his way to use a personal veto to make sure no-one could even consider reviewing that questionable decision

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46112355

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017

DryCreek

Oct 25, 2017
Thing is punishment occurs after someone has already been stabbed.

How about we have more support services available to people so that someone doesn't get knifed in the first place

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Whoa, he went far there. Yikes.

Maybe put all the drug users on an island until they get over it.

Don't build houses, build prisons because everyone should be locked up for eternity for all crimes.

Do these people not believe in preventive measures, society issues, nipping it in the bud, it comes from somewhere and will remain that way unless you tackle why it's happening but I guess that takes the 30,000 staff you cut.....the lack of opportunity for kids...poverty....idle hands....gang problems...how about you start there.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Whoa, he went far there. Yikes.

Maybe put all the drug users on an island until they get over it.

Don't build houses, build prisons because everyone should be locked up for eternity for all crimes.

Do these people not believe in preventive measures, society issues, nipping it in the bud, it comes from somewhere and will remain that way unless you tackle why it's happening but I guess that takes the 30,000 staff you cut.....the lack of opportunity for kids...poverty....idle hands....gang problems...how about you start there.
Problem is the people whose say punishment is everything either don't understand or don't care about all of you're valid points. To them, they didn't go out stabbing someone so no one else's experiences couldn't possibly makes sense of it.

That and racism of course because London gangs are only thought of as a young black problem and gammons dont take into consideration all of the causes for these situations to rise.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
"Clearly the only thing that influenced people going around with knives in Glasgow was them tripping the sentence from 4 months to 15 months! So let's do the same here! Oh shit, the sentence is already 13 months here so it's highly likely factors other than the length of punishment are what played a major role in lowering the stat? Fuck, better suggest locking them up for 15 years then!"

I feel like there should be some kind of consequence if you're aloud to be on a platform this large and say something that's totally baseless outside of your own idiotic conjecture and actively refuted by the people that actually research the topics. In this case I feel like facing the consequences he suggests are forced upon other would be appropriate. I can't believe there are still thickos that can look at America's prison/judicial system and think "Yeah, we need to be more like that!"

Though hats off to the woman next to him who looks at him as though he's a child trying to explain how he's not the one who shit on the carpet when he was the only person in the room throughout the whole segment.

C4OS0U6.gif

Edit: I just made the mistake of reading the responses to the Peterson and my God it's not hard to see how hate speech laws have worked fine in Europe or that it's difficult to determine how they're defined given it's easy to understand protecting certain groups over characteristics they have no control over as long as your not a sociopath. It's like history doesn't exist because some MRA dip-shit got triggered by a Canadian law he didn't understand.

Last edited:

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
The rightwing pressure group the TaxPayers' Alliance has conceded that it illegally sacked the whistleblower Shahmir Sanni for revealing unlawful overspending in the Brexit referendum campaign, in a case that could have a major impact on how lobbyists are described in the media.
Details of the alliance's relationship with Downing Street and the role of Stephen Parkinson, Theresa May's political secretary, will now not be heard in court. A separate claim by Sanni against Downing Street is still ongoing. Sanni, who received an award from Gay Times last week, said: "It has proved that the TaxPayers' Alliance sacked me for speaking the truth. And that there has been a coordinated effort by the Conservative establishment, including the government, to shut me down.
"The TPA claimed to have lost a donor because of my actions. If they had fought the case in court as we wanted, they would have had to reveal who their donors are. That they were prepared to admit their illegal behaviour on all counts shows how far they are willing to go to protect this information.

https://amp.theguardian.com/politic...axpayers-alliance-concedes-it-launched-smears

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
bwahahaha

As he jetted to Paris last Friday, President Trump received a congratulatory phone call aboard Air Force One. British Prime Minister Theresa May was calling to celebrate the Republican Party's wins in the midterm elections — never mind that Democrats seized control of the House — but her appeal to the American president's vanity was met with an ornery outburst.

Trump berated May for Britain not doing enough, in his assessment, to contain Iran. He questioned her over Brexit and complained about the trade deals he sees as unfair with European countries. May has endured Trump's churlish temper before, but still her aides were shaken by his especially foul mood, according to U.S. and European officials briefed on the conversation.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...0b7cba-e69e-11e8-a939-9469f1166f9d_story.html

cabot

Oct 25, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
watched the clip of that insane knife guy.

Glasgow's knife problem wasn't fixed by fuckin' harsher punishments.

It was done by treating it as a health issue and actually getting directly involved with communities where the problem was at its worst.

https://www.theguardian.com/members...tland-reduced-knife-deaths-among-young-people

Fortunately he showed himself up when he dehumanised the people in question at the end there.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Another rich boy. I'm so fucking glad that May's cabinet is a second chance saloon for disgraced MPs though.

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
Upcoming events:

1. VoNC happens or does not happen. Whips will be working hard to avoid this.
2. Brexit council meeting later this month. Final text, no more modificiations, thus do-or-die for remaining ministers.
3. Meaningful vote amendments
4. Meaningful vote

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
Points 2 and 3 existing is a contradiction though. If the text is final with no more modifications, what amendments can the HoC possibly make?

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not sure they will. Clearly the deal as is isn't acceptable, neither is no deal... so if remain isn't an option, what's the point in voting?

Status
Not open for further replies.