• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is very quiet for such a joyous day :p

-BBC debate cancelled, ITV debate still possible (but May is trying to change the format)
-Government lost the amendment on being held in contempt
-Government held in contempt!
-Government also lose vote on Grieve's amendment, I dont know the full details but generally less chance of hard brexit
-Farage quits UKIP for being too (overtly) racist

Farage is too racist for UKIP or UKIP is too racist for Farage?

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Just out of interest... is there a single Tory leadership candidate that isn't a proven idiot? I'm struggling to think of one.

Maybe Sajid Javid? I mean he's a tosser, but that kinda goes with the turf.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Well, there is one man... but I think he prefers the job he already has.

...and lets face it, we're a long way off a Labour leadership battle.

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
David Davis as the second least worst option. Sweet Christmas.
_44740953_dd_466getty.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I have a hunch that she will win the vote- realistically I see most Tories continuing to use May as a sacrificial lamb until this farce comes to a head, and sticking with the devil they know rather than the upheaval caused to the party installing a hard core brexiteer, or a bland Maybot 2.0 in the form of Javid or Rudd.

Old_King_Coal

Nov 1, 2017
Maybe not the most relevant thing in the world, but I was looking at some history on Wikipedia and I noticed that during the 1997 election campaign Labour polling actually dropped by about 10% from the beginning of the campaign to the end. Does anyone know why that might be? I was 3 at the time so I wasn't paying too much attention to politics.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Maybe not the most relevant thing in the world, but I was looking at some history on Wikipedia and I noticed that during the 1997 election campaign Labour polling actually dropped by about 10% from the beginning of the campaign to the end. Does anyone know why that might be? I was 3 at the time so I wasn't paying too much attention to politics.

I can't remember much about the campaign beyond the demon eyes of Tony blair poster going down badly, there used to be a big incumbency swing in those days where labour needed to be way, way ahead at the start of a campaign to win.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Here's some nice happy news that we can all enjoy at least, the continued adventures of Capita being a complete shitshow. I worked on an adjacent project to this at one point. I believe at least one or two people here worked at one of the four or so different Capita owned compane is that touched this project at some point?

Army's £113m recruitment website 'was 52 months late'

The Army passed responsibility for developing the whole system to Capita in 2014, but "due to the complexity of the Army's requirements, system development was delayed even further", the report said.

And despite the website being finished in November 2017, the Army estimates there were 13,000 fewer applications between November 2017 and March 2018 than in the same period the previous year.

This part blew my mind when I learned it initially:
The report found it can take as long as 321 days for recruits to go from starting an application to beginning basic training, and that many drop out of the process while waiting.

A total of 47% of applicants dropped out of the process voluntarily in 2017/18, and both the Army and Capita believe the length of the process is a significant factor in this, the report said.

The whole process for joining the army is a complete mess. Even before the Capita redo of their site.

Also: The reason it took 4 and a bit years to make the site? Capita gave it to a company for a couple of years, cancelled that version and started from scratch with another company. Then shut down that company and moved it to another, where I believe it was restarted and finished.

We laughed at this at time too, but it's relevant too. When it launched last year the site was so broken they had to revert back to the old site.

Last edited:

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
A few things:

Polling was a lot less reliable back then.
"Shy" Tories. If you think the Conservative party is an embarrassment today, boy howdy it was a real shit-show back in the 90s.
The election campaign was made longer than usual, allowing for more variability.

Put together: Some of the pre-election polls were just fantasy. Tory voters wanted to send a message that they didn't back Major, or they didn't back The Bastards, rather than giving their genuine voting intention. The lengthy campaign gave enough time for enough people to return to their natural inclinations.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Here's some nice happy news that we can all enjoy at least, the continued adventures of Capita being a complete shitshow....

Fuck Capita. I remember looking forward to starting a job with the NHS West London Mental Health Trust but it got held back by nearly 2 months thanks to having Capita running the HR side of things (It used to be done in-house). When Capita was eventually booted off we were hoping it would go back to being in-house.

But nope! Onto some other crap company it was! As far as I'm aware it was costing the organisation more to outsource it but they had to keep it up for some reason.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
It's infuriating to see companies like that keep getting work when there are a ton of fucking excellent IT services providers out there.

Thanks old boys network.

OP
OP
Dan

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god, Capita. I haven't worked with them directly but I've heard some crazy stories about their incompetence from former workers and people who we had to parachute in to save their asses.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
More dodgy accounting coming home to roost

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/dec/17/student-loan-hole-public-finances-ons-accounts

Just like PFI and other spiv ideas before it, student loans have been exposed as govenment accounting theatre.

Basically despite recognising that a large percentage of graduates will never pay back the excessive loans required to cover enormous fees the government never counted this as debt. Of course this is nonsense because just like PFI the shortfall will be made up by the government.

This also lends more credence to Labour's position that universities can be funded effectively through central government rather than by higher fees , since the figures the plan was compared against were government numbers that were crooked.

It might also good news for the Scottish Government, who have abolished fees, since there may be Barnett consequentials as this is now counted essentially as spending by the UK government on English universities.

Status
Not open for further replies.