• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
Ditto. Visa lady didn't even glance at it either.

I was there for a year - one of the other people I travellled with got in fine without the test but ended up having to have it while in Russia. Given how scary some of the advice around Russian medical facilities was at the time I was quite happy to have done it in the UK.

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing can happen until September. MPs are still on their summer holidays...

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.upp-prod-us.s3.amazonaws.com%2F6609775c-2a1b-11e9-9222-7024d72222bc

"Please do not waste this time."

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Owen Jones was attacked after celebrating his birthday in what he is certain was a premeditated plan.

But it's milkshake throwing lefties we need to worry about of course 😒

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
The thing so many seem to forget is only one group of people actively campaign for other people's lives to get shitter. That's not the left (well, perhaps other than some billionaires losing a wee bit of cash).

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
Owen Jones was attacked after celebrating his birthday in what he is certain was a premeditated plan.

But it's milkshake throwing lefties we need to worry about of course 😒

The description of the attack in the guardian makes it sound worse than he's letting on. Kicked in the back to bring him down then kicking his head.

I always felt he was potentially in a lot of danger. The right have a strong hatred for him.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The description of the attack in the guardian makes it sound worse than he's letting on. Kicked in the back to bring him down then kicking his head.

I always felt he was potentially in a lot of danger. The right have a strong hatred for him.
I think it was the BBC who also referred to him as an activist rather than a journalist which is pretty fucking terrible.

Masquerader

Banned
Nov 4, 2017

A boost to the economy.

A "Boost for the economy", they say. Sure, many people won't live to retire, but at least it'll be a boost to the economy. 75 is fucking old in my family history. I don't know many people in it who made it to that age. I do know many who retired long before it. But I, for one, barely got to know my grandparents before they passed, and I outright WOULDN'T have known them if they were working in their manual labour jobs their entire lives.

They relied on the state pension because they were poor. They worked hard and they were poor, and they died pretty fucking young. It's thanks to the state pension that they were able to enjoy some measure of comfort and relaxation after so many years of struggle, of trying to live their lives providing for their massive amount of kids as was the norm back in the day. But it would have been OK if they hadn't lived to see me as a child, because it would have been a "Boost to the economy". Oh, well, that makes it OK then!

Under these plans, my dad would not be able to retire until 75. He's been looking forward to retirement for a while now. His job wore him down and he's in constant aches and pains. Relaxing without having to worry about anything was what he was aiming to work for. Circumstances beyond his control made that a more difficult goal than he anticipated, but at least he'd have the guaranteed State Pension as a safety net, right? Wrong. If this goes through, he would die relying on others for money, myself included, but also my mother and my other siblings. All for a "Boost to the economy".

As for myself, I'd already resigned myself to never being able to retire due to our generation getting screwed over repeatedly. But actually feeling it as it's confirmed hurts so much more. The next step is abolishment of the state pension, that which would legitimately bring us back to pre 1906 levels of social equality. All for a "Boost to the economy".

Lives will be lost before their time, we will waste them working to enrich the already rich, and we have no future to look forward to, but at least the economy will be pretty boosted. We might not share in it, but at least it'll be boosted. We might be poor, but at least it'll be poor in a rich boosted economy. We might have no interest in helping the less vulnerable in society, but at least it's a boosted economy society!

Sociopathy is utterly mainstream and I'm devastated for it. There's so little to hope for.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017

I hate to say the phrase fake news. But there is literally zero evidence that the current government has even thought about this never mind adopted it as a policy. It's a report by a think tank, nothing more at this stage. Think tanks produce a ton of reports - some are accepted and used, most are ignored.

Claiming the government is doing this is just a flat out lie at this stage.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah just a quick scan of his timeline makes him look like a loon. Hopefully the initial acceptance from Labour was just a mistake.

Oct 26, 2017
There's a picture of Liz Truss doing the rounds where she's trying to look important and teh government but she's holding the phone upside down and I can't even

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I'm weirdly intrigued by the wire coming from the espresso machine. Is the dog photo there to hide a power socket? If not, where does that wire go? It just looks so messy. If I was setting up a photoshoot of someone pretending to work, I wouldn't bother plugging stuff in.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More DUP shenanigans, a waste of tax payers money and a lack of care. Sounds like a familiar tune:

Government money allocated to improve motorsport safety was used by the Ulster Grand Prix to refurbish a club house and build facilities, including a shower and toilet block, BBC News NI understands.

The £255,000 funding package was announced by then Sports Minister Paul Givan in 2017.

Some £25,000 was spent on safety bales; the rest was spent on building works.

Three riders have been killed at the Dundrod circuit since 2017.

The business case shows that, of the money allocated to the Ulster Grand Prix, £25,000 was spent on 80 safety bales and £230,000 on building and ground works.

Dundrod and District Motorcycle club, which organises the race, provided a monitoring return detailing how the money contributed to the safety of participants and spectators along the seven-mile circuit.

This states the money was spent on an extension to the riders' paddock, intended to accommodate race vehicles and conform to fire regulations.

It also lists the "completion and fit-out of David Wood Ulster Grand Prix House", which enabled the club to host "race safety seminars, marshal training, newcomers' induction courses and training for the hundreds of volunteers involved in running the motorcycle racing event each year".

Fuck off. None of that helps protect riders on the course. The DUP took that money and funnelled it into their funhouse clubhouse.

I wonder what else the DUP spent their C&S money on

Oct 26, 2017
So this latest report on proposed (electiontime) school changes, most is the usual fluff and then there's "allowing headteachers to use reasonable force for discipline"

fucking christ

ss1

Oct 27, 2017
So this latest report on proposed (electiontime) school changes, most is the usual fluff and then there's "allowing headteachers to use reasonable force for discipline"

fucking christ

Baby steps towards going full force back to caning children? Probably easier to bring back corporal punishment if you don't have any Human rights laws...

Rebel1

Oct 25, 2017

Queen Elizabeth II approves Prime Minister Boris Johnson's request to suspend Parliament amid Brexit crisis.

Johnson's maneuver outraged critics because it gives the opposition less time to block a no-deal Brexit before scheduled Oct. 31 withdrawal.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
So, Tory Phillip Lee defected to the Lib Dems today, who of course welcomed him with open arms because they're all massive Tories...

Except some people in the Lib Dems apparently still hadn't cottoned on to them being yellow Tories and are now resigning in protest:

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
So, Tory Phillip Lee defected to the Lib Dems today, who of course welcomed him with open arms because they're all massive Tories...

Except some people in the Lib Dems apparently still hadn't cottoned on to them being yellow Tories and are now resigning in protest:

She was LGBT chair when Tim Farron was leader of the Lib Dems.

I also ask wtf do you expect them to do? Should the lib dems reject them?Is it better to no deal brexit? I say this as a gay man whose been involved in political stuff for 20 years on gay rights issues.

Also worth saying this guy abstained on most of the gay rights stuff, rather than vote against it (as both labour AND lib dems have done as well I will remind you).

Salty_Josh

Oct 28, 2017
She was LGBT chair when Tim Farron was leader of the Lib Dems.
Oof
I also ask wtf do you expect them to do? Should the lib dems reject them?
Yes
Is it better to no deal brexit?
No. Obviously, but you can just not adopt bigots and claiming they share the same values as you whilst being against no deal
I say this as a gay man whose been involved in political stuff for 20 years on gay rights issues.
If 20 years of experience tell you to lower your standards to that degree then Idk what to tell you tbh.
Also worth saying this guy abstained on most of the gay rights stuff, rather than vote against it (as both labour AND lib dems have done as well I will remind you).
Probably wasn't worth saying but what possible reason do you think someone would have for abstaining from those votes?

Status
Not open for further replies.