• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw this on Instagram. Made in Chelsea TV personality James Taylor was gifted a PS5 by Sony. He posted this to his story on Instagram:
gFEbnok.png

Then, after this, he posted the following:

8uNgzuf.png

This seems pretty shitty for a guy who is 25, massively wealthy, drives about in a ferrari and lives in a very tasy pad in an extremely posh and expensive area of London. I'd be pretty cross if I was Sony's UK marketing team as well - it's not a good look to give someone a gift, for the sake of marketing, then to see them saying they "didn't like it" without offering an explanation and then boasting about selling the gift you gave them for £1200 profit.

It seems especially in poor taste given the current climate, where PS5 stock is flying out and where the majority of consumers have not and likely will not be able to get one before christmas. For some highly wealthy upper class idiot lkike this to essentially abuse his fame and status to make a quick £1200 seems disgusting. There are plenty of people out there who work all day every day and who were therefore unable to secure a preorder or launch day stock - this comes across as highly unfair. It just seems like scalping but taken to the next level, where you've not even bothered to buy one in the first place.

I am not an influencer / streamer and have no idea about how this type of thing works. For people in the know: is this sort of thing even allowed? Is it one of those grey areas where it happens but people don't really talk about it? Or are Sony likely to be a bit pissed off by the entire thing? I mean the guy is not a huge celeb but he's still got 46k instagram followers. Do contracts get signed for gifts like this? I've no clue how the system works as I said.

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1week): Inappropriate joke referencing violence
Every Instagram "influencer" needs to be skinned and rolled in salt.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
"back to my phat ps4"

man that baby is gonna jet engine away in a bit

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing like selling a gift. Sure, other brands are going to be thrilled working with him in the future.

And I don't get not liking the ps5. It plays all of your ps4 games...and you're probably just going to buy a new one.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna wager he probably didn't even have one to own, he got sent it for a promo / ad and returned it and is now just trying to make it seem like some "baller" move

Though really, even if he did, who cares? Not like he was gifted it by his sweet grandma. Gifting ettiquite doesn't apply to this shit.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who? Can't be from Chelsea if he's excited over £1200.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
If it's a gift, I doubt there was any agreement. But, that will be the last gift he will receive from Sony that's for sure.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Sony gave it to him for marketing purposes, and he gave them far more attention than they were bargaining for. I see no problem with this.

If anything, they should be sending him another.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
£1200?

Interesting, lots of people on forums selling for £650-£800

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It's probably allowed? But it's certainly disrespectful. I mean, sure they gave it to him as part of a marketing stunt, but he should at least learn to appreciate the privileges he has.

Given that he's not exactly poor, it just seems altogether childish. I'd get it if you know, you couldn't afford rent but Sony sent you a PS5. You gotta' do what you gotta' do, but this isn't that.

Obviously there's nothing Sony can do other than refuse to send him anything.

Also I don't know how you can not like the PS5 but seemingly love the PS4. All of your games are supported, and then you also get to play more PS5 games. What exactly is there not to like? I could see you saying that you prefer the XBOX Series X or something, but prefer the PS4? Whatever. Just seems like he's playing up for attention / shock factor (which is likely, why he does most things).

Maybe his favourite game was PT or something. :P

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing like selling a gift. Sure, other brands are going to be thrilled working with him in the future.

And I don't get not liking the ps5. It plays all of your ps4 games...and you're probably just going to buy a new one.
That was just him wanting the money but giving an excuse.

He can do what he wants with a gift, but this won't help him to get more company gifts.

Crispy

Oct 27, 2017
Missed opportunity, he could've done a giveaway and gain thousands of followers...

Oct 27, 2017
Was he actually gifted? He says "playingstation5" I imagine if he was gifted Sony would've wanted a correct spelling of their handle. Although, not sure why you would go back to launch PS4 if you got a PS5.

R1CHO

Oct 28, 2017
So what's the problem?

Sony wanted some cheap ass influencer exposure, u got what u paid.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Even if he decided to sell it, and even if he decided to sell it at such a price........... What's he getting from letting everyone know that?

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Meh, sure. It's trashy, but what would you expect considering the person? It was his property to sell.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Sony gave it to him for marketing purposes, and he gave them far more attention than they were bargaining for. I see no problem with this.

If anything, they should be sending him another.
Ah yes, the positive attention of "didn't like it so sold it" instead of the "this is awesome everyone go buy it!" that marketing actually wants from "influencers"

Riskbreaker

Nov 1, 2017
Wish I could care but this is what can happen when you give free shit to people who don't need it and are essentially advertisers.

This is an issue with influencers more than anything else.

Nov 1, 2017
Good for him? I'm more bothered by Sony giving away an item people can't buy for love or money to a -ing reality star.

OP
OP
CarthOhNoes

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm sure it isn't illegal or anything like that. Just comes across as being in very poor taste given how hard some people work and how desperate some people are to buy them. But I didn't expect much from a polo playing daddy's boy tosser like him to be honest.

Jun 17, 2018
All that had to be said was 'Made In Chelsea'. Nothing but a bunch of rich, spoiled assholes. I doubt very much he sold it for £1200 profit, just looking to gloat like a fucking douche.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
And that is how you get companies to stop sending you free stuff. Marketing people saw that and took his name off the lists

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Im just saying don't try and pin this as "he brought attention to it, so mission accomplished"
I mean, that's what happened. Look at this thread.

Also @playingstation5 is a shop that sells PS5s. Probably a scam-ass site, too. They probably got a decent amount of clicks off it.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
I am not an influencer / streamer and have no idea about how this type of thing works. For people in the know: is this sort of thing even allowed? Is it one of those grey areas where it happens but people don't really talk about it? Or are Sony likely to be a bit pissed off by the entire thing? I mean the guy is not a huge celeb but he's still got 46k instagram followers. Do contracts get signed for gifts like this? I've no clue how the system works as I said.

I have never seen a contract that specifically says that you can't sell or give the product away but it is one of those unspoken rules. The worst that could happen to this person is they will never receive any products from Sony and/or the digital marketing agency Sony was working with.

Edit: It seems like it wasn't Sony who sent this person a PS5, some other Instagram page?