• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a pleasant surprise for the UK market. Didn't think Nintendo and Mario were as popular there.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Odyssey is the Nintendo Switch's biggest game launch to date (beating Zelda: Breath of the Wild at the console's launch) and the sixth biggest Nintendo launch of all time in the UK. Its launch sales are higher than any game launch on Wii U.
Well then.

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Super Mario Odyssey, meanwhile, was a smash hit for Nintendo. Its sales actually weren't far off those of Assassin's, and yet Mario is a Switch exclusive.

Odyssey is the Nintendo Switch's biggest game launch to date (beating Zelda: Breath of the Wild at the console's launch) and the sixth biggest Nintendo launch of all time in the UK. Its launch sales are higher than any game launch on Wii U.

Wow, nice!

OP
OP
RedbullCola

RedbullCola

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, Mario did incredible here. I know somebody who works at a large UK retailer, they actually ran out of stock - and they got huge numbers ready through Christmas. They're having to reorder more already.

The other big news is Assassin's Creed. Although it sold roughly in line with Syndicate, Syndicate was the lowest of the AC franchise (with Rogue, which launched on last gen after next gen had begun). Anybody who has played AC Origins knows they spent BIG on the game in budget. Ubisoft have a problem.

Oct 27, 2017
"Wolfenstein is down almost 50% on the first one, Bethesda having a terrible time."

Oof, that's pretty bad for them. And they actually seemed to put some effort into marketing this one, unlike Prey or TEW2. I really don't know what the solution is here as nothing they're releasing that's not developed by Bethesda Game Studios seems to be landing for them.

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
Wolfenstein is down almost 50% on the first one, Bethesda having a terrible time.

Welcome to the Sequel Sales Slump club. Take a seat next to Dishonored 2, Evil Within 2, Titanfall 2, WatchDogs 2, DOOM and Mass Effect Andromeda. Leave a chair spare for Star Wars Battlefront 2.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair it was a day where they'd have to sell alongside new Mario and new AC.

It was always an uphill struggle. Should have gone a week earlier.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Cross-posting from the other threads (thanks Bruno MB ):

Assassin's Creed has always opened above 100k in UK:

[Week 46, 2007] ASSASSIN'S CREED (UBISOFT) - 156,000 / NEW (90%)
[Week 47, 2009] ASSASSIN'S CREED II (UBISOFT) - 175,000 / NEW (90%)
[Week 46, 2010] ASSASSIN'S CREED: BROTHERHOOD (UBISOFT) - 207,000 / NEW (90%)
[Week 46, 2011] ASSASSIN'S CREED: REVELATIONS (UBISOFT) - 215,000 / NEW (90%)
[Week 44, 2012] ASSASSIN'S CREED III (UBISOFT) - 332,000 / NEW (90%)
[Week 44, 2013] ASSASSIN'S CREED IV: BLACK FLAG (UBISOFT) - 128,000 / NEW (90%)
[Week 46, 2014] ASSASSIN'S CREED: ROGUE (UBISOFT) -
[Week 46, 2014] ASSASSIN'S CREED: UNITY (UBISOFT) - 153,000 / NEW (95%)
[Week 43, 2015] ASSASSIN'S CREED: SYNDICATE (UBISOFT) ~ 100,000 / NEW (95%)

No Mario platform ever opened above 100k; top Nintendo opening in UK:

1. Wii Fit - 215,000
2. Mario Kart Wii - 186,000
3. Pokémon Sun -
4. Pokémon Moon -
5. Super Smash Bros. Wii - 79,000
6. Super Mario Galaxy 2 - 77,000

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
NPD is good in including digital sales these days but such details is obviously omitted in these physical UK sales. I expect it to vary a lot between genre's and platforms so it only paints a half & uneven picture.
I.e. I bought both Super Mario Odyssey & Destiny 2 digitally. In the former I feel like I'm in a smaller minority but in the latter I'm part of the majority.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
"Wolfenstein is down almost 50% on the first one, Bethesda having a terrible time."

Oof, that's pretty bad for them. And they actually seemed to put some effort into marketing this one, unlike Prey or TEW2. I really don't know what the solution is here as nothing they're releasing that's not developed by Bethesda Game Studios seems to be landing for them.
Probably mostly due to releasing it alongside a Mario and Assassin's Creed game. Terrible move on their part.

Cal

Oct 28, 2017
I think Wolfenstein 2 is a great game but they really did not give it justice releasing it at the time they did, even having it across the three platforms doesn't seem to be helping.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps not the (UK) debut they wanted, but with digital being this big nowadays (wasn't Ubisoft market leader when it comes to digital console?) and a $40 season pass, AC: Origins will do fine.

On top of that Ubi expected Origins to sit between Syndicate and Unity. So they are on the low end of their estimates.

Last edited:

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Probably mostly due to releasing it alongside a Mario and Assassin's Creed game. Terrible move on their part.

I'm not 100% about AC but I think all three games got their release dates announced at E3. So the only way they could have avoided it would have been to delay it or bring it forward afterwards which they probably didn't want to do.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Poor bethesda.
As always, people need to factor in digital before making judgements.
In ac's case, the game preceeding it kind of determines the current ones sales. So its no doubt after the slump of unity and syndicate it isnt setting charts on fire.
Also notice the gigantic drop from 3 to 4. 3s success came from two.
The word of mouth around origins has been great. Im sure itll catch up.

Good job nintendo, as always.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, Mario did incredible here. I know somebody who works at a large UK retailer, they actually ran out of stock - and they got huge numbers ready through Christmas. They're having to reorder more already.

The other big news is Assassin's Creed. Although it sold roughly in line with Syndicate, Syndicate was the lowest of the AC franchise (with Rogue, which launched on last gen after next gen had begun). Anybody who has played AC Origins knows they spent BIG on the game in budget. Ubisoft have a problem.

That's good for Mario.

I can see AC having a long tail with how big the game is and also with the launch of the X I can see people holding of its purchase till then/ Black Friday. Waiting for the X before picking up my copy of Origins.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Not too worried for AC Origins, the game has good buzz going on, it's going to have good legs, I'm expecting it to comfortably outsell Syndicate.
Wolfenstein on the other hand is slightly worrying. None of Bethesda's single player offerings have really worked out for them this year :\
amazing numbers for Mario, can't wait to try it soon.

Oct 27, 2017
Cross-posting from the other threads (thanks Bruno MB ):

Assassin's Creed has always opened above 100k in UK:

[Week 46, 2007] ASSASSIN'S CREED (UBISOFT) - 156,000 / NEW (90%)
[Week 47, 2009] ASSASSIN'S CREED II (UBISOFT) - 175,000 / NEW (90%)
[Week 46, 2010] ASSASSIN'S CREED: BROTHERHOOD (UBISOFT) - 207,000 / NEW (90%)
[Week 46, 2011] ASSASSIN'S CREED: REVELATIONS (UBISOFT) - 215,000 / NEW (90%)
[Week 44, 2012] ASSASSIN'S CREED III (UBISOFT) - 332,000 / NEW (90%)
[Week 44, 2013] ASSASSIN'S CREED IV: BLACK FLAG (UBISOFT) - 128,000 / NEW (90%)
[Week 46, 2014] ASSASSIN'S CREED: ROGUE (UBISOFT) -
[Week 46, 2014] ASSASSIN'S CREED: UNITY (UBISOFT) - 153,000 / NEW (95%)
[Week 43, 2015] ASSASSIN'S CREED: SYNDICATE (UBISOFT) ~ 100,000 / NEW (95%)

No Mario platform ever opened above 100k; top Nintendo opening in UK:

That's really interesting; thanks for that (and to Bruno!). However, don't forget that Black Flag had a staggered launch across last and current-gen, so it paints a slightly different picture. But even so, that is a huge drop-off since the franchise heyday. I wonder if making it a two-yearly franchise and leapfrogging Watch Dogs would be better for Ubi in the long run.

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda misleading title, "weren't far off" is not the same as "almost".

Norwegian_Imposter

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It makes me angry that AC didn't sell gangbusters as that game has improved on every aspect.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not 100% about AC but I think all three games got their release dates announced at E3. So the only way they could have avoided it would have been to delay it or bring it forward afterwards which they probably didn't want to do.

Yeah, most likely. I think they probably should've just pushed it to very early next year, it doesn't stand a chance against all the mega franchises that release around now.
It's possible they just expect it to sell well overtime (like New Order) and wanted to get it out before Black Friday.

Forestar

Oct 28, 2017
If I'm correct, I think some B Soft-works games performed so badly that HW2 even outsold them (I think the game was Prey).

Haruka

Oct 29, 2017
Incredible performance for Mario glad to see Nintendo getting their slice of the cake in the UK Market.
on the other side I think Bethesda is having a really hard time now, was this the third or fourth game that failed for them lately?

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
That's insanely good! So well-deserved though, absolutely fantastic. Don't think I've felt this in love with a game since the '64 days, I have too many nice words to say about it.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Wolfenstein never should have launched in a crowded fall season. Especially on the same day as Assasssins and Mario. Wolfenstein just doesn't have the brand power to compete. I think it would have done so much better as a January or February release.

esseesse

Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved for Mario and Nintendo. It is a great game.

Haven't played AC Origins as I am waiting for the Xbox One X but from what I've heard it is pretty darn good so maybe people are just worn out of the franchise? There isn't much buzz around the game too from what I have read around the interwebz.
Hopefully it has legs.

Brend

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Wow, colour me surprised. 3D Mario doing well in the UK bodes well for the inevitable 2D title we'll get at some point too.

Shame for Wolfenstein but perhaps it did well in Digital.

The40Watt

Oct 29, 2017
Well so far Mario Odyssey seems like a great game so I'm pleased it is doing so well. I will be picking up AC: Origins for Christmas so that'll be another sale for it (although not from the UK market).

Tickling

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I got 3 copies of Mario, 2 Mario switch bundles for kids christmas presents and copy for myself. Also got Assassins Creed (couldnt wait to play it on the Xbox One X) and at the moment it is my GOTY .So far haven't touched Mario yet going to be playing it tonight with the missus. For Wolf not surprised in the latest really strange launch date going against it with two other big single player games which have much better brand recognition and arguably look better value than it. For me Wolfenstein while it looks quality it looks wait for a sale and I feel this falls into the trap the guys at Microsoft were talking about pure single player experiences. There is demand for the game and people want to play it however the game doesn't represent value for the consumer.

Magicpork

Oct 28, 2017
It's a fantastic game and it may have much longer legs than AC:O.. we can also expect its price to remain at ÂŁ40+ for months if not years to come

I'll get AC:O eventually just the recent trend hasn't convinced to me to pick up PS4 games at launch..

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
That's impressive for SMO. It's one game on one platform versus a game on three platforms.

Egrimal

Oct 27, 2017
Aberdeen, Scotland
My partner has got me the Switch for Christmas. I was almost ready to order the Mario Odyssey bundle and she stopped me and had to admit she's got me that. Problem now I have is knowing that its in the house and I can't quite get to it for just shy of 2 months.

Wolfenstein really does look like a case of bad timing for anyone other than a fan of the series and you can't help but feel that by just pushing it back to February it might have sold more at full price and got the sales numbers as by all accounts it looks like a good game. As it stands I can see it being heavily reduced by the time I get around to picking it up with everything else that's coming out at the moment.