• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mocoworm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
From the incredible reviews this game is receiving this is really disappointing. The first games were brilliant FPS experiences. I will be picking up W2 next week I think.

It probably didn't help that so many games dropped last week and this month in general.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Market is changing faster than i anticipated. Even a 90 metacritic wasn't enough to keep the sales from going way down. It looks like at the very least, single player games need a huge open world that players can spend tons of hours in or they aren't viable. That's 3 good single player games in a row from Bethesda that under performed.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Market is changing faster than i anticipated. Even a 90 metacritic wasn't enough to keep the sales from going way down. It looks like at the very least, single player games need a huge open world that players can spend tons of hours in or they aren't viable. That's 3 good single player games in a row from Bethesda that under performed.

...or it could just be that the UK market hasn't been having a very strong year, and Wolfenstein 2 probably had the worst possible launch considering they were going up against AC and Mario?

Erevador

Oct 25, 2017
Bethesda's "announce today, release tomorrow" strategy is a proven disaster. The Evil Within 2 deserves to sell MUCH better than it has.

They need much more aggressive marketing.

UnNamed

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Another X game sell less in UK thread?
Maybe the problem is not the game but UK market itsef?

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every single one of these "...sells half of the first game in the UK" threads are games I bought physically on PS4 for the first game and have now bought digitally on PC. I'm the problem, sorry guys.

JJShadow

Oct 25, 2017
UK/Spain
Really dissapointing, I hope this is more of a UK market being in a bad situation than people just losing interest for SP-only games. I did my part buying Prey and TEW 2 this year, and I'll grab Wolf as soon as I'm done with SMO

GeeTeeCee

Oct 27, 2017
I fully admit I went for AC Origins over Wolfenstein - it's getting a lot harder for me to justify paying full price on a title at launch that will probably go under £20 in a couple of months like many others from Bethesda's recent output.

Still, I'm worried that this might push Bethesda to chase the GaaS model: Games are all Skyrim.

Norfolk Enchants

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was also cracked the second it came out, so with no MP I would expect PC sales to be low, obviously that does not affect console sales

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
Unsurprising considering singleplayer $60 titles sell less and less, and digital sales are way up in comparison to 2014. Steamspy will be a better metric, at least for PC.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
Most people I know are waiting for a sale they rather pay sub £30 for a single player FPS especially when last week had few major titles released

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I really really hope that people are just buying a lot more digital otherwise I don't want to live on rhis planet anymore.

Do we have numbers for the launch of the last Asassins Creed as a comparison?

gueras

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What about Wolf2 budget? I don't think it is an expensive game to make compared to open world ones...

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Uncharted The Lost Legacy sold like what, 80k in FW? Wolfenstein did 29k, but with 2 platforms. Really disappointing.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Im waiting for the Switch version! Reason it was not a day 1 purchase for me! But it doesnt explain the sells.

Evilmaus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure there's a good mix of reasons for this. For what it's worth, I've not seen a single advertisement for the game here in the UK.

In fact come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I saw any advertisement for any Bethesda game here in the UK. Maybe Skyrim? Not to say they're not out there, but the marketing seems pretty weak to me at least...

But to echo someone above, I really hope people don't take this as a sign that single player games aren't viable. I can't emphasise enough how much I don't give a fuck about the majority of multiplayer experiences (outside of local co-op).

Rich

Oct 28, 2017
England
You know what is a very real possibility here? Wolf 2 selling better on the Switch when it launches next year than elsewhere.

I guess we'll have doom as an indicator of sorts in a couple of weeks.

MrLuchador

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Stacked release window.
GAME selling the game at silly prices.
1st game ended up as cheap as £5 digital and £10 physical.
People are not silly.

Is this entire sales (physical and digital) or just physical?

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I think the "announce today, release tomorrow" strategy mentioned above is quite great but probably going against two huge brands like Mario and AC wasn't so smart. Neither was releasing two Beth games so close to each other.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well, they released it on the same day as AC: Origins and Mario, so that result is not surprising for me. They probably should have delayed it by a bit.

Soviet

Oct 28, 2017
Also, Wolfenstein 2 was released on Friday, meanwhile Wolfenstein 1 was released on Tuesday in UK.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Super Mario Odyssey has done phenomenally well - and it's one of the best games ever made.

Mario and AC did well, and GT Sport did well last week.

Assassin's Creed Origins and Super Mario Odyssey sold really well in the same report.

Mea culpa for not opening the link! That's cool, even if those are both sales juggernauts, normally. Still, happy that Mario was a hit.

Karnova

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I hate to say it but George Weidman's (Super Bunnyhop) post on Wolfenstein TNC kinda killed my hype from it and stopped me from preordering.

I'd link to it but it was in his Patreon posts and for subs only but basically he built the argument that Wolfenstein TNO doesn't have very good gameplay but instead has just stellar presentation. I reinstalled TNO to see it for myself and well I agree. TNO is a very linear game that kinda fools you into thinking you have a lot of choice to make. Ultimately the best thing to do especially on higher difficulties is to hide behind cover and snipe Nazis.

I'll definitely buy it during Steam Sales in the near future though. It's definitely worth a play through.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Man, the UK in particular is not buying games this year. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that's been UP this year.

Switch stuff, I'm sure?

Rich

Oct 28, 2017
England
Most people I know are waiting for a sale they rather pay sub £30 for a single player FPS especially when last week had few major titles released

Well, the PC version has been sub-£30 for a while. I pre-ordered it for £26 from cdkeys a few months back. Obviously the console versions are entirely different in pricing, with digital versions being ridiculously high here in the UK.

I haven't actually played wolf 2 yet, just installed it but prioritising Mario. Everything I've seen makes it look like a worthy successor to TNO though.

Oct 26, 2017
This probably has to do more with the fact that retail physical markets are dying than the games itself. Physical is going the way of the dodo.

Norfolk Enchants

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
also don't forget this will be £20 in about two weeks, look how Destiny 2 crashed in price, perhaps people are getting smarter

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Does Chart-Track track online retailers like Amazon, simplygames etc? Because apart from GAME there is not much of a retail left in the UK...

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shame, because it's a great game.

Bethesda should have moved the date after learning that both Mario and AC were hitting on the same day. They also should have backpedaled a bit faster (and a bit more) on that horrible "no review copies" policy.