• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Might not be competing on genre/platform, but it's competing for the wallet. As I mentioned earlier with supermarkets keeping quite strict to £44~46 for a new release now, not many people can afford £90 on top of their shopping to get both games for the kids. Years ago you used to be able to get COD/FIFA for like £25 if you spent £50 or more on shopping.

Mario/AC is going to beat out Wolfenstein all year round for the battle of the wallet.

Not to mention this is the UK, not many people here see buying Wolfenstein as some political statement. It's a critically acclaimed game, yes, but it's just another great game behind Mario and AC which are far bigger IPs and household names.

That poster has a point releasing this at the same time as Mario, let alone AC, is just stupid.

Sorry I don't buy that argument. Would these be the same parents who in a span of 7 days ended up buying their kids HZD, BOTW and Wildlands? Did they have more disposable income in March?

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do think it's a problem with this country. Not saying there aren't trends away from single player games like Wolfenstein but, where I live, we lost the last dedicated video game store we had this year. Buying games locally has now become a choice between a second-hand purchase at CEX or hoping ASDA has some copies in.

Which sucks.

It doesn't help that most people can't really just shell out £120~150 on games that come out within a week of each other (speaking specifically of Mario, Wolfenstein and Assassins Creed).

Plasmids

Oct 28, 2017
I actually think a lot of people are going to pick this up a bit later maybe December or January.

I know that's what me and at least one other friend are doing.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry I don't buy that argument. Would these be the same parents who in a span of 7 days ended up buying their kids HZD, BOTW and Wildlands? Did they have more disposable income in March?

We're heading towards Christmas, this is a different time of the year. Horizon IIRC had some slightly better deals at launch, and is a 1st party IP on the PS4, the highest install base console. BOTW is Zelda, it's arguably as big if not bigger than Mario. I don't even really know what Wildlands is or how it sold.

1st party games will regularly do better than 3rd party, especially if we're talking Nintendo. BOTW would blow Wolfenstein the fuck away as well. You take a massive risk releasing around any 1st party Nintendo game, let alone Mario/Zelda.

More people probably have Switches now, or maybe even went and bought a Switch to play Mario. I doubt many if they did buy a Switch and Mario were also flush with cash to buy Wolfenstein at £44. Remember people could play Zelda on their Wii U as well. You can only play Mario on the Switch.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
I can't really see myself buying Bethesda games Day 1 ever again, unless it's something really special. Their games drop in price faster than any other publisher here, and I know that if I wait until March of next year, I can get Wolf 2 for probably £15. Wouldn't be surprised if there's also people out there thinking the same.

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
Turns out no one's buying physical games here. I don't either to be honest. I usually just buy a key online from GMG or something like. These numbers never take those into consideration. It's partly because this country is going down the shitter and people just not wanting plastic boxes scattered around their houses.

It's a shame Bethesda games aren't the best selling games on the market because they've put out some of the best games of the past couple years. Dishonored, The Evil Within, Wolfenstein, Doom and Prey. 5 incredible games right there.

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is actually a huge difference between selling on the same day and selling a week later.

Mario press over runs all other press due to how good it is. A week later, Wolfenstein 2 couldve had its own day, but it loses out on a lot of hype just because most people are focused on Mario for that day. Remember, the first day is when you sell the most copies of a game

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Does the UK even buy games anymore? It seems like every game is like "UK retail sells half of what predecessor did" then the US numbers come out and they're fine and revenue is fine.

tidalrave

Oct 29, 2017
Turns out no one's buying physical games here. I don't either to be honest. I usually just buy a key online from GMG or something like. These numbers never take those into consideration. It's partly because this country is going down the shitter and people just not wanting plastic boxes scattered around their houses.

It's a shame Bethesda games aren't the best selling games on the market because they've put out some of the best games of the past couple years. Dishonored, The Evil Within, Wolfenstein, Doom and Prey. 5 incredible games right there.

I'm sure this has been said all over this thread, but yes, this seems to be closer to the reality of the situation. The way brick and mortar retailers have been panicking across pretty much all industries says to me people just don't have a good reason to out and buy.

Hell, you can get groceries to your front door these days. These retail numbers feel like a bad representation in today's world.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this has been said all over this thread, but yes, this seems to be closer to the reality of the situation. The way brick and mortar retailers have been panicking across pretty much all industries says to me people just don't have a good reason to out and buy.

Hell, you can get groceries to your front door these days. These retail numbers feel like a bad representation in today's world.

And miss out on cheap as fuck bread and other goodies? Naaaah. Gotta love getting some reduced bargains in Tesco or Asda.

/noshame

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
There is actually a huge difference between selling on the same day and selling a week later.

Mario press over runs all other press due to how good it is. A week later, Wolfenstein 2 couldve had its own day, but it loses out on a lot of hype just because most people are focused on Mario for that day. Remember, the first day is when you sell the most copies of a game

Agree to disagree on how big an impact Mario had on Wolf2. Also a week later and Wolf2 would be out either the same day or right after COD WWII and that is a bigger issue than Mario and AC combined. A week earlier might have made more sense although they probably did not want to cannabilize TEW2 sales.

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agree to disagree on how big an impact Mario had on Wolf2. Also a week later and Wolf2 would be out either the same day or right after COD WWII and that is a bigger issue than Mario and AC combined. A week earlier might have made more sense although they probably did not want to cannabilize TEW2 sales.
Im not implying they should have released a week later or earlier, im just implying that there is a huge difference in press that you are ignoring.

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is such a bummer- W2 is really my platonic ideal. A strong, story-driven game with hard-as-hell combat. I guess there's something to be said for turning your game into a IP-themed Skinner box.

Do we have any idea how UK sales tend to track against other markets?

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Didn't Destiny 2 sell a lot less than Destiny 1?

So either the market is getting smaller, digital sales are higher than expected, sales are no longer as front loaded as they once were... or just a bunch of things. It's not because the games are bad.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Im not implying they should have released a week later or earlier, im just implying that there is a huge difference in press that you are ignoring.

Sure it is the press this time and Mario and AC:O. Two weeks ago with TEW2, it was the lack of advertising and bad timing, mind you it is a horror game coming out in October. The month that consumers for decades have been trained to seek out and consume horror related content. Back in May when Prey came out it was the lack of advertising and people not caring for immersive sims. Dishonored 2 released in a crowded holiday season. I am sure all these factors come into play but I just don't know how much weight they deserve.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Market is changing faster than i anticipated. Even a 90 metacritic wasn't enough to keep the sales from going way down. It looks like at the very least, single player games need a huge open world that players can spend tons of hours in or they aren't viable. That's 3 good single player games in a row from Bethesda that under performed.
Or you can. Gee I don't know, market a game better.
Let's not ignore the obvious here... I have not seen one trailer for Wolf 2 since E3 and even my friend who bought the 1st one doesn't know 2 is out yet.

Herbz

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Physical sales (especially PC) is irrelevant in this day and age. Where's the digital sales data?

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
The entire marketing department at Bethesda needs a long, hard talk to.

Speaking over-dramatically: Prey, Wolfenstein 2, The Evil Within 2 were just sent out to die. I can only hope they interpret these failed sales in a rational manner. The answer to further sequels isn't huge, open-world game.

Oct 27, 2017
As others have mentioned, I don't understand why we give so much attention to UK sales. They are not representative for the rest of Europe, they are quite often the outlier even.

I have seen a picture a few years back from the Amazon UK Videogame charts, and each and every one of the Top 10 was a different SKU of the latest FIFA title back then. That should tell you everything there is about the people who buy videogames in UK.

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
Bethesda keeps making bad decisions. This game should not have released along side Mario and Assassin's Creed, or in that Holiday window. It's a shame, TBH. Imma pick up the Switch version of this, tho. Looking forward to it.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
As others have mentioned, I don't understand why we give so much attention to UK sales. They are not representative for the rest of Europe, they are quite often the outlier even.

I have seen a picture a few years back from the Amazon UK Videogame charts, and each and every one of the Top 10 was a different SKU of the latest FIFA title back then. That should tell you everything there is about the people who buy videogames in UK.

Because so far at least the UK trends for Bethesda games have proved true in the US as well.

smuf

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be getting this and Evil Within later for sure, just having my hands full with other games.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Was sleeping on this with Odyssey out, but purchased the game just now to do my part. It's just a game I really, really want to see succeed.

GrimBorne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK is irrelevant now. People were celebrating because Destiny 2 was down in the UK. Turns out D2 is bigger than D1 in revenue and concurrent players. Bye UK.

Hindle

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It was a really bad decision to bring politics into the games marketing. People play games to escape real life events, they dont want it thrown in thier face at every turn.

MortosDer

Oct 27, 2017
I got DOOM on steam for $30 a couple of months after launch. Guessing the same thing will happen with Wolfenstein...

Oct 27, 2017
Because so far at least the UK trends for Bethesda games have proved true in the US as well.

US and UK are still a really narrow market to observe compared to the rest of the world, imo.

Come to think of it, is there even a chinese or other asian version of Wolfenstein or other Bethesda games? Do they even sell their games there?

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point I am expecting a personal visit from Phil Spencer for being one of only two people to buy an Xbox One X in the UK.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
I dont have the info no. Merely an observation. It just struck me as a really bad idea to get political. Whether thats the reason for the game bombing who knows.
I'm wondering because I didn't really think the campaign was political. Make America Nazi Free again? I mean, you have to go out of your way to get offended by something like that.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The first game was discounted often and heavily, I finally picked it up it up + the Old Blood for like $15 on PSN. I wonder if that factored in, because I know it did with me. I will eventually purchase this

Alimnassor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Games are expensive man. I'm making $11/hour $60 is a lot of money. Money I can use to spend on beer and food. Besides I'm addicted to WoW and don't need another game.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
UK is irrelevant now. People were celebrating because Destiny 2 was down in the UK. Turns out D2 is bigger than D1 in revenue and concurrent players. Bye UK.

Yeah, honestly, I'm pretty sure the Brexit Effect has all but killed games-retail in the UK. Time to stick a fork in it I say, because it looks like the UK isn't a relevant market anymore.

neonxaos

Oct 29, 2017
This game looks so good, but I literally can't afford it right now because of all the other must-have titles that are just pouring out. I think it'll become a huge seller at the next sale, hopefully that will help a little.

Deleted member 21996

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seems to be a trend with the UK market lately. Even allowing for heavy hitters Odyssey and Origins releasing the same day.that's a hell of a drop. For comparison TNO had the first week largely to itself, with Watch Dogs releasing the week after followed by Mario Kart. Will be interesting to see how the next two weeks play out.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
That's just a pity! The game looks fantastic. It would have gotten a sale out of me early if it wasn't geolocked on steam.
I won't buy the German version, I don't support censorship in art. Especially if it's not glorifying Nazis.

Now I have to wait for the Switch version, if I'm still interested in the game then and if it's ported well enough. And if I really want to make this game the FPS exception to play with a controller and not a mouse when I have the option.
Maybe there'll be a way to circumvent the geolock or it'll get patched out, but I won't bet my steam account on it.
It's a pity, because that stuff sure isn't a requirement from Germany (educated guess, will look up the receipts) - you can't release it over here, but I doubt that Bethesda has to block everyone from bein able to purchase it elsewhere and then play it in Germany.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the US but you're damn right I bought it. I also bought Deus Ex at launch though and we see what happened there :(

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol

Reality of the market : PUBG

Feel free to try again. There are no magic recipes, people are playing what's fun for them. Prey bombed because it honestly was fucking boring to play after two hours, and everyone saw that on twitch. TEW 2 isn't selling well at all because the first episode didn't really do much for a lot of gamers

Dishonored 2 bombed because of the technical issues

Open world games are the most horrid things for me because its the kind of game that accumulate everything I hate the most : shit combat system for the most part, no difficulty, ultra repetitive objectives, shit story

it took Horizon to change my mind. Before that Fable was the only thing I really liked
Uhhh what? A lot of people on Twitch were loving Prey. What are you talking about here?

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
6 month timeline from announce to release for something like Wolfenstein dosen't work
Releasing in the fall season, let alone the fact that you have Mario and AC Origins on the same day
Game released on a Friday.

Kovacs

Oct 27, 2017
UK releases usually occur on a Monday or Tuesday so let's revisit on Friday when there has been an entire weeks sales. Also it must be taken into consideration that it released on the same day as two of the biggest hitting franchises out there. I'm a big fan of Wolf:NO but it was always going to be a purchase at a later date when put up against either one of those two games. I suspect we'll find that this one will just have a longer tail due to the circumstances.

jakob ben-oni

Oct 27, 2017
My reason for not buying it is I loved the story of the first one so much I didn't want the ending tainted by a sequel; same reason I didn't see Blade Runner 2049. The first game was literally too good. Game made me choke up.