• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I'm always pretty skeptical of taking sales from one country and extrapolating them out to other regions. But it's definitely true that Switch software isn't doing as well in the UK as in other regions.

It's normally fine if you know what you're extrapolating and the relative tastes of the market. Most Switch sequels have been up over their WiiU counterparts. So if a game is up in the UK which is relatively soft for Nintendo vs the total market size it's probably up in other markets as well. That's not a crazy expolation. Mario, Zelda, Splatoon and Splatoon have all followed the same curve. Kingdom Battle seems to have been up (I assume because of discounting) lately.

I'm not saying it's not great because it didn't hit those numbers. I'm saying it's not great because it debuted at #19 and the numbers are low. I was using those two examples as a counterpoint to people in this thread saying JRPGs don't perform well in the UK.

Nier, perhaps until very recently, was a very, very niche franchise. About as niche as you could get with a small, devoted cult following. If you asked me a year ago if Xenoblade 2 or the Nier sequel would sell more I would definitely say Xenoblade, it's been a much more well-known franchise. And, like I said, Xenoblade has had a massive TV and internet ad campaign from Nintendo, at least in the states. Neither Nier nor Persona got anything close to that, I think they were mostly WoM and reviews.

Nier has only had 1 other game. Automata is definitely the franchises breakout game. Xenoblade also is currently in a growth phase. We can see game to game improvements. But I thi k the general idea isn't that big JRPGs dont perform well. Pokemon, FF, Kingdom Hearts all have been consistently huge franchises for the genre. Moee that the average game doesn't often crack 5 figures.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Not a great number when taken into account the switch hype. Hopefully digital will boost that number.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
That's a good number. Pretty good for jrpg.

Tho being a Nintendo ip has it perks.

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like Xillia didn't manage much more:

It's a shame UK don't care more about most JRPGs, but it is what it is. At least there's still FFXV and maybe KH3 to put up some more substantial work (and Nier and Persona 5 to a lesser degree too).

Yeah, but if Persona can make it than I think others can as well. Wish we got P5 numbers to gauge the gap.
BTW could you perhaps make a separate thread on the GTS nugget to talk about it. Thanks :D

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
As far as I can see, it's in the higher levels of sales for JRPGs, although there are a number of JRPGs that sell (much) higher, like FF, KH, Persona 5.

Yeah, looking at the numbers we have seen reported here it seems obviously in the upper part of the "niche" JRPG for the UK market.
I wonder which number can generate in France where the genre is usually much stronger.

unless something goes wrong in the US, I think 1m is a lock
That would be a great news imho.
Let's see how it will perform in Japan, where YSO predictions are putting it in a similar situation (110k average against lower debuts for both Xeno Wii and X) not counting digital sales (of course way stronger nowadays than in the Wii days LOL, but also compared to the Wii U ones, as per Nintendo official statements).
1 million sales would guarantee Monolith to continue its "ambitious" projects (as the new phantasy rpg?!?!?)

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In terms of what titles sell well on Switch and what titles don't sell quite as well, the UK market is a very good indicator for the rest of Europe. The titles doing well in the UK are also the ones doing well in the rest of Europe.

Whilst that may be true in regards to general trends NISA specifically noted that whilst the biggest PAL market for Disgaea has traditionally been the UK, Disgaea 5 Complete sold better in France.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Yeah, but if Persona can make it than I think others can as well. Wish we got P5 numbers to gauge the gap.

P5 is the exception in the UK, not the rule.
As shown by other posters, if you don't count the three big JRPG IPs in the west (Pokemon, FF and KH), it's actually in the higher bar of the JRPG genre sales in this country.

Technically speaking being in this thread as part of "other miscellany" constitutes as the nugget getting a separate thread from the PAL thread.

Also people are just posting in the old GTS sale tidbit thread anyways.

This.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nice result, outselling X this early in the system life cycle.
It should have better legs thanks to the Switch hardware sales and the upcoming DLC as well.

PS. I would assume it outperformed X in other European countries as well.

Hadn't switch already surpassed the Wii U in the UK or is close to it?

OP
OP
Zedark

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
BTW could you perhaps make a separate thread on the GTS nugget to talk about it. Thanks :D
Sure, it's not impossible. Persona 5 did have a big build up with Persona 4 being very well-received and Persona 4 golden putting the franchise in the collectie mindshare. Maybe XBC can make a jump like Persona 5 did some day, but I don't think it's had quite the lead up yet.

As for a dedicated thread: I have thought about it, but I prefer to wait for the moment where it outsells Crash and becomes the biggest PS4 exclusive, as I'm not sure a 300k milestone is quite worth a separate thread away from the PAL charts thread. Don't think we made one for Crash reaching 200k or something like that either, nor for Horizon hitting 200k (I'm pretty sure it did already).

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How much did Persona and Nier sell in the first week in UK?
I looked for a bit and couldn't find anything on this, but they debuted at #1 and #6 respectively.

Nier has only had 1 other game. Automata is definitely the franchises breakout game. Xenoblade also is currently in a growth phase. We can see game to game improvements. But I thi k the general idea isn't that big JRPGs dont perform well. Pokemon, FF, Kingdom Hearts all have been consistently huge franchises for the genre. Moee that the average game doesn't often crack 5 figures.
Yeah, but Xenoblade has only had one other main series game and a spinoff. Unless we wanna count these as a wider part of a "Xeno" franchise. Xenoblade is in a growth phase based on these numbers, but it's still at a low level of sales here, taken on its own and compared to these other JRPG franchises we might refer to as "B-tier" (vs the A-tier like KH, FF, Pokemon). I guess I was just expecting more considering how huge the marketing push has been.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
That's good for the IP. Higher sales are always good - Especially when there's actually other games to buy this time around compared to when the Wii U game launched.

Anyone from the UK who knows how it's been doing on the e-shop charts?

Here in the Nordic countries it's been #1 for 4 days now I believe.

ghostship

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's good for the IP. Higher sales are always good - Especially when there's actually other games to buy this time around compared to when the Wii U game launched.

Anyone from the UK who knows how it's been doing on the e-shop charts?

Here in the Nordic countries it's been #1 for 4 days now I believe.

No. 3 behind Rocket League and Stardew Valley.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, but Xenoblade has only had one other main series game and a spinoff. Unless we wanna count these as a wider part of a "Xeno" franchise. Xenoblade is in a growth phase based on these numbers, but it's still at a low level of sales here, taken on its own and compared to these other JRPG franchises we might refer to as "B-tier" (vs the A-tier like KH, FF, Pokemon). I guess I was just expecting more considering how huge the marketing push has been.

Yeah its B Tier. It isn't going to grow past that without some changes. That said I still expect when all is said and done this game will out perform X by a decent margin. Even in the UK.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
How do they (or can they even) account for digital sales from other eShop stores?
Everyone I know with a Switch (UK) shops around the various ones for the best deals.

edit: Just realised this is probably for physical sales, but either way curious when it comes to region download counts.

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
P5 is the exception in the UK, not the rule.

More like Persona 5 is the example. It was once a niche series like Tales but with P4/5 has gained a larger audience.

Sure, it's not impossible. Persona 5 did have a big build up with Persona 4 being very well-received and Persona 4 golden putting the franchise in the collectie mindshare. Maybe XBC can make a jump like Persona 5 did some day, but I don't think it's had quite the lead up yet.

As for a dedicated thread: I have thought about it, but I prefer to wait for the moment where it outsells Crash and becomes the biggest PS4 exclusive, as I'm not sure a 300k milestone is quite worth a separate thread away from the PAL charts thread. Don't think we made one for Crash reaching 200k or something like that either, nor for Horizon hitting 200k (I'm pretty sure it did already).

Ah, its okay, looks like the old thread has got bumped.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
How do they (or can they even) account for digital sales from other eShop stores?
Everyone I know with a Switch (UK) shops around the various ones for the best deals.

edit: Just realised this is probably for physical sales, but either way curious when it comes to region download counts.
yea this has nothing to do with anything digital. these are retail UK charts.

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
Actually, Dragon Quest IX had a soft launch, just a bit better than Xenoblade Chronicles 2 but it was one of those very rare games, specially if we are talking about jrpg's, to have a stronger second week than the launch week. I have no idea if Nintendo didn't ship enough units (I doubt) or if it had post launch ad campaigns.

[Week 29, 2010] 09 (NE) DRAGON QUEST IX: SENTINELS STARRY SKIES (NINTENDO) - 14,500 / NEW
[Week 30, 2010] 07 (09) DRAGON QUEST IX: SENTINELS STARRY SKIES (NINTENDO) - 18,500 / 33,000 (+27%)

Please don't remind me of the Dragon Quest IX ad campaign...

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
So a 33% increase to Around 14k?
Now I think most of the non big hitters for the console have disappointed but that seriously isn't ba for a JRPG.
Most JRPGs don't sell 5 figures until a few weeks in.

Oct 28, 2017
Netherlands
Reading this thread is like stepping into the Twilight Zone or something. Did I miss the memo where we decided that comparing a small jRPG franchise to Final Fantasy or Pokémon is fair? Will we be comparing Disgaea sales to Fire Emblem sales next?

Even on the Wii, Xenoblade did tiny numbers. But apparently, those numbers were enough to comission a sequel, which in turn sold well enough to justify this game's development. Lo and behold XC2 grows even more.

That's a pretty good result, something that bodes well for Monolith at least. Especially considering XCX managed to become a succes on the Wii U of all places.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
My whole switch friends list is online all the time playing it. It's nice to see.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Great result. Whats important here is the growth. Nintendo managed to make Fire Emblem a high level B tier franchise due to consistency and investment. Im hoping they will do the same with Xenoblade. It is showing promise. Maybe a mobile entry will help grow it even further. Its well suited for mobile too.

Oct 31, 2017
I think Nintendo must have undershipped the game. I couldn't find the standard OR collector's edition anywhere in Hong Kong

Emka

Oct 27, 2017
Ni no Kuni, Dragon Quest, Hyperdimension Neptunia, Atelier, there are lots of popular JRPGs
I'm gonna call bullshit for the bolded. I'm not convinced that Ni No Kuni and Dragon Quest game are selling very well in the UK either.
The UK isn't really known to be really receptive of niche Japanese games at all.

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
It's higher than the past two games so that's nice. Should have more legs too.

And if it performed this well in UK, then it should do a lot better everywhere else too.

Looks like Nintendo won again!

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sort of surprised companies still publish boxed JRPGs in the UK if the sales are as bad as some of the numbers shown in here (that Berseria number jeez.) I mean, I'm glad they still do, but now I understand why it's seemingly impossible to pre-order a boxed copy of Tokyo Xanadu eX+ right now.

I feel like Xenoblade should do better due to its voice acting alone, though. Maybe if they got some recognizable celebrity on board rather than accomplished voice actors who had one live-action role in Doctors a decade ago.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
this is gonna clean house in France^^
I'm expecting a substantial increase in a 2 week period over X. X sold 40k in two weeks so I'm expecting 60k in 2 weeks and possibly 100k+ lifetime. Germany will be interesting too since it actually debuted in the top ten there despite the major releases that year(Battlefront bear Episode 7, Fallout 4, Blops 3, FiFA, Halo, Tomb Raider, etc.)

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm kinda surprised with how well the Switch is doing that it isn't selling that much more than the one on the WiiU. Hopefully it will have long legs.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Best selling PS4 exclusive, obviously FIFA, Call of Duty WWII and some other games sold way more on PS4.
Yeah but didn't Yakuza, Uncharted, Horizon, etc all come out this year?

Not to shit on Crash but its weird to me that a redo of a PS1 game was the one that captured their hearts and minds (I love Crash 2, the other two were just eh for me).

OP
OP
Zedark

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Yeah but didn't Yakuza, Uncharted, Horizon, etc all come out this year?

Not to shit on Crash but its weird to me that a redo of a PS1 game was the one that captured their hearts and minds (I love Crash 2, the other two were just eh for me).
Uncharted 4 was last year, and Lost Legacy just isn't as big a product as UC4 was, with its beginnings as a dlc. Yakuza is tiny in UK, and Horizon did really well - Crash just did better, from the first week on. 90's nostalgie is big, and many people remember the Crash games as THE game of their childhood. An affordable remaster of all three games was a great product for many gamers and non-gamers, and it shows in the sales numbers. Crash is, after 20 years, still a massive franchise.