• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Courtesy of Christopher Dring, journalist over at gamesindustry.biz:

To put this into perspective, here's our own BrunoMB with the numbers for previous entries:

[Week 33, 2011] 07 (NE) XENOBLADE CHRONICLES (NINTENDO) ~ 6,000 / NEW
[Week 49, 2015] 28 (NE) XENOBLADE CHRONICLES X (NINTENDO) ~ 10,500 / NEW
[Week 48, 2017] 19 (NE) XENOBLADE CHRONICLES 2 (NINTENDO)

https://ukie.org.uk/news/2017/12/call-duty-wwii-bunkers-down-fifth-week-top

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 easily outperformed the previous entry on Nintendo Wii U.

XBCX did 10,500 and XBC2 is about 1/3 over that, so sales should be about 14,000 units.

In other news, SMO overtook BOTW YTD, and is closing in on MK8D. Also, GTS seems poised to be the biggest selling exclusive of the year on PS4:
gamesindustry.biz said:
At No.3 is Gran Turismo Sport, which has benefitted from some serious discounting over the last few weeks. It is just a few weeks away from eclipsing Crash Bandicoot as the No.1 PS4 exclusive of the year.

Meanwhile, over on Switch, Super Mario Odyssey has overtaken The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild as the second best-selling game on the platform this year. It's now closing in on the No.1 game - Mario Kart 8: Deluxe.

Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...ll-of-duty-wwii-scores-fifth-consecutive-no-1

It seems likely GTS has passed, or is close to passing, 300k units in the UK (physical only, so it might be way more than that).

Edit: One more tidbit on MK8D sales:

Ossom

Oct 31, 2017
Helped by Argos pricing it at £29.99! I was planning to wait to get this but jumped on it at that price.

Hope it keeps selling well.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
I want to get this on Switch but is it a sequel or is it like Final Fantasy where the story is self contained? If it's a sequel I think they need to put the first on Switch.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Very good to hear. As I posted int the other thread its performance digitally is surely respectful too, getting to I'm 99.9% sure the no2 spot, definitely no3 last time I checked. The ridiculously expensive version also got in the top 15 I think.

Good showing.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shame JRPGS aren't more mainstream. A lot of people seem happy to miss out on great titles just because they're perceived as niche.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Not bad for the franchise, given small Switch installed base and the fact that the jRPG audience is still not present on the platform. Given early product lifecycle, Xenoblade 2 can do well over time. It got good WOM and this should help.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Nice result, outselling X this early in the system life cycle.
It should have better legs thanks to the Switch hardware sales and the upcoming DLC as well.

PS. I would assume it outperformed X in other European countries as well.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
Apart from the Final Fantasy series, JRPGs are super niche in the UK. Not sure what kind of result people were expecting here.

Ossom

Oct 31, 2017
Whaaat I missed that deal! That's a steal given you'd probably get it more or less back by selling on to CEX when you're done if you want.
It seemed to be the case last Friday only. Must have been a pricing error due to it now going up to £49.99.

From what I read online most stores got cleared out pretty quickly.

Cex pay around £30 for it and so there is a free play through on offer depending how long that price holds. Will take me a few months to get through so will likely go down a little by that point.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Courtesy of Christopher Dring, journalist over at gamesindustry.biz:

To put this into perspective, here's our own BrunoMB with the numbers for previous entries:

XBCX did 10,500 and XBC2 is about 1/3 over that, so sales should be about 14,000 units.

If you add that digital % is very probably higher for Switch than it ever was for a Nintendo device, and you get an even higher rise than that.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what it sold on the South African Eshop it was £36 well worth it

Deleted member 62

This bolds well for the game given how similar the major Switch games have performed in the UK and the rest of Europe so far.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Well, at least it's a growth. Just hoping it does at least better than the earlier Xenoblade games in other regions too.

I want to get this on Switch but is it a sequel or is it like Final Fantasy where the story is self contained? If it's a sequel I think they need to put the first on Switch.

While it's a numbered sequel, it's basically it's own game, just like mainline FF games. Funny enough, it even has it's own Cid/Biggs/Wedge shenanigans, and with the Nopon it's own Mog/Mogry thing, where these are somehow present in all games without being connected to the previous games.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
If you add that digital % is very probably higher for Switch than it ever was for a Nintendo device, and you get an even higher rise than that.
Yeah, I forgot about digital.
Still, not that great.
In Spain, at least around me, it was pretty difficult finding a copy. Don't know if it was the demand, or a low shipment tho.

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
An improvement sales wise and glad to see the series is slowly growing more.
Really hate how people constantly call things cancer on the internet, much less this site it is very insensitive considering.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
UK should not be a meaningful sample for Nintendo software but okay...

it's not. It's just the first line of info we get so it gets attention

also UK tends to be similar to the US in some regards. So in a way it can be a precursor for what to expect.

NPD will be the big story for Xenoblade 2. (And Japan)

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Should probably note that GT Sport was bundled with pretty much every PS4 over Black Friday and many stores were flooded with sealed "used" copies (our one had like half a drawer full at one point), so the sales figures may not particularly paint an accurate picture of consumer interest in it at this point.