• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
https://www.mcvuk.com/business/mont...kes-the-crown-but-spider-man-is-the-real-king

Even Spider-Man can't stop football: after taking the top spot in the weekly charts, FIFA 19 also made it to No.1 in the monthly listing despite having only spent two days on shelves when GfK closed its monthly report.

But as we highlighted earlier this week, sales for this new entry in the football franchise were down 25 per cent year-on-year, with the Switch version only taking one per cent of the sales. Now digital shift will obviously account for some of that, but with EA itself only estimating the trend to run at five per cent per annum, there's still a big gap there. Now it might be that EA has scored a huge success here, converting physical customers into more profitable digital ones, but there was no press release to suggest this was a record-breaking release in order to back such a theory. So maybe, just maybe, the perennial franchise is seeing a little fatigue.

Sony's Spider-Man had to settle for No.2 for its first month in the charts but is still an incredible success, shifting 44 per cent more copies than Uncharted 4 did on its first month, 94 per cent more than Horizon Zero Dawn and 138 per cent more than God of War.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider completes this entirely new Top Three, with slightly underwhelming sales if you compare it to combined launch sales for Rise of The Tomb Raider on XO and 360 (November 2015) and PS4 (October 2016).

Meanwhile, there was a wealth of new entries further down the monthly charts: Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age debuted at No.14, PSVR exclusive Firewall Zero Hour entered the list at No.22, Destiny 2: Forsaken debuted at No.29, Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate made it to No.32, Yakuza Kiwami 2 took No.33, Divinity Original Sin II: Definitive Edition debuted at No.45 and, last but not least, Strange Bridge entered the charts at No.47.

The PS4 did (again, unsurprisingly) exceptionally well in September, taking a 62.8 per cent market share compared to 40.4 per cent in August.

Here's the Top Ten for the period between August 26th to September 29th 2018 (data courtesy of Gfk/Ukie):

1. FIFA 19
  2. Spider-Man PS4
  3. Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  4. Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
  5. NBA 2K19
  6. GTA5
  7. F1 2018
  8. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  9. Pro Evolution Soccer
  10. PUBG

Noobie

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sony's Spider-Man had to settle for No.2 for its first month in the charts but is still an incredible success, shifting 44 per cent more copies than Uncharted 4 did on its first month, 94 per cent more than Horizon Zero Dawn and 138 per cent more than God of War.

Hope we will get more accruate numbers for Spiderman and other games.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, being down 25% year over year, having only 2 days on the market, and still taking #1 for the month is more "emperor" than "king."

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
WTF?, PS4 taking 63 per cent market share? more than PC+X1+Switch combined! lol

Last edited:

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 alone having almost double the market share of the X1 and Switch combined.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
I thought Sony and MS disclosed their digital sales? Why are they guessing that Fifa being down 25% could be down to digital?

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
ugh, I was hoping DQ XI to make the top 10. Tough luck.

Still better than Kiwami 2 and D:OS II, but the bar is probably not very high.

jpbonadio

Nov 8, 2017
PS4 and Spider-Man in beast mode. I guess worldwide September was huge for this couple. Like, record breaking huge.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I didn't realise HZD had a bigger first month than God of War in the UK.
The PS4 did (again, unsurprisingly) exceptionally well in September, taking a 62.8 per cent market share compared to 40.4 per cent in August.
Are they referring specifically to hardware sales, or the total market share of the platform? Either way, it just goes to show what one huge exclusive game can do for a platform in a single month.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
That's why is really hard to believe Ms can change the game next gen.
People are excited for the brand again, MS has made some good improvements and doing some stuff Sony and Nintendo can emulate. When it goes outside of that reasoning though in relation to next gen, you kinda lose me with that. The best Xbox is going to do is even it up (it's already close) in U.S again and finally make some other reasons to own an Xbox besides the big 3 (Forza/Halo/Gears) and 3rd party support.

I'm looking forward to it tbh, it's not a day 1 like PS5 but I'm interested in Xbox again. Besides a Sony blunder however, I don't think much is changing especially if a new player doesn't enter.

Sony's WWS is really just getting started. All of these new debut franchises are going to have even better sequels and higher sales potential. Next gen Gof of War, Horizon and Spidey all have huge platform moving potential, not to mention a critical Gran Turismo hit will still move some units in European counties.

OG_Thrills tks for the spidey wallpaper for my iPhone.

Last edited:

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My pic of Spider-Man Shoryuken-ing the charts

fpq03dW.jpg

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
I have God of War first month at 158k which points to 376k first month for Spidey. I have Uncharted 4 at 260k first month which points to a 374k first month for Spidey. Pretty reliable, so 375k sales for Spidey. That's excellent.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't realise HZD had a bigger first month than God of War in the UK.

Are they referring specifically to hardware sales, or the total market share of the platform? Either way, it just goes to show what one huge exclusive game can do for a platform in a single month.
Software.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Xbox PUBG still in the U.K. top ten at retail. That's over 40 weeks now I think? Never ending.

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
FIFA 19 also made it to No.1 in the monthly listing despite having only spent two days on shelves when GfK closed its monthly report.

That wording is kinda weird or flawed.
The game didn't release just on Friday the 28

People bought the Ultimate/Champions Edition so they can start on Midnight Tuesday the 25.
The huge share of people playing Fifa are Ultimate Team players and starting at Midnight is a huge deal for many - The available Items on the Ingame Transfermarket suggested that there were far more people already playing&selling their shit than in previous years and nearly a week after release the numbers of available items at Europe Prime Time is even higher at least on PS4.

I got the Digital Champions Version because the hours until you get the game delivered or the shops open can be crucial to making good deals or making a little bit of money to buy stuff as long as it is cheap.
And people that want to open packs need to start the new game on their console so they can transfer their Fifa Points(RL Money currency) from Fifa 18 over to Fifa19.
After that they have them on their Fifa19 account and can open packs from the Webapp/Companion App while they are at school,work etc and sell and buy stuff&make money while not at home without missing out on the good deals.