• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
  1. FIFA 21 - 2.182.694 units
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War - 1.420.353
  3. Grand Theft Auto V - 1.127.222
  4. FIFA 20 - 903.810
  5. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - 897,350
  6. Animal Crossing: New Horizons* - 810.462
  7. Assassin's Creed Valhalla - 665.815
  8. The Last of Us: Part II - 539,247
  9. NBA 2K20 - 481.507
  10. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege - 436.957
Physical + Digital

*No Digital Data for AC and Nintendo Games in General

The £4.2bn generated in 2020 is a jump of 14.5% on 2019 overall, but digital (perhaps predictably, given the pandemic) saw the largest jump of all. The digital games business, which ranges from mobile and streamed games to downloads, grew by 16.3% to £3.6bn in 2020.

This makes the digital games business alone larger than the entire video market, and twice as big as the music market.

While less impressive, physical games also saw growth in 2020, with a 4.6% increase to £598.5m.

The main drivers behind this growth are, predictably, the COVID-19 pandemic and the launch of the new generation of consoles in November 2020.

eraltd.org

LOCKDOWN STREAMING DRIVES ENTERTAINMENT SALES TO £9bn – AND FASTEST GROWTH RATE SINCE RECORDS BEGAN - ERA Ltd

Locked down Britain turned to digital music, video and games in record numbers in 2020, increasing entertainment revenues by 16.8% to a record £9.05bn

Thanks to DarkDetective for the details in the PAL Charts

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Baffled at how an NBA game has outsold Siege and sold almost as many units as TLOU2 in the UK, somewhere where interest in basketball is... very light.

Was 2020 the year they kept doing those crazy £3.99 deals on it? I can't remember when that was.

OP
OP

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Baffled at how an NBA game has outsold Siege and sold almost as many units as TLOU2 in the UK, somewhere where interest in basketball is... very light.

Was 2020 the year they kept doing those crazy £3.99 deals on it? I can't remember when that was.

Both the games are super cheap so yeah. But then again they are extremely high on DLC + MTX

Revenue chart would had given a better picture which we get from npd

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
Would be really interesting to see where Animal Crossing would land if digital sales were available. Surely it would put it above 1 million at least?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Digital for Animal Crossing would push that right up. I had to get it digital because it came out as soon as lockdown hit and I couldn't get hold of a physical version. It was either out of stock, or had a super long delivery time because it wasn't deemed an essential item.

El Manco

Oct 28, 2017
Very happy to see a couple of single-player games in the list.
AC Valhalla should land as second biggest game in the series, AC 3 was a monster. And TLOU Part II did not need the online component to sell a lot of units.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Insane numbers for AC Valhalla

Oct 27, 2017

Was going to comment on this too. By comparison the NFL is pretty big here (raises hand as a fan) so I'm surprised at NBA beating out Madden, in terms of a non-FIFA sports game sneaking into the top 10. Then again NBA is considered the substantially better game than Madden..

Do these digital revenues include DLC or ongoing MTX engagement, or are these figures literally just tracking the initial purchase the same way they would for boxed retail?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Was going to comment on this too. By comparison the NFL is pretty big here (raises hand as a fan) so I'm surprised at NBA beating out Madden, in terms of a non-FIFA sports game sneaking into the top 10. Then again NBA is considered the substantially better game than Madden..

Do these digital revenues include DLC or ongoing MTX engagement, or are these figures literally just tracking the initial purchase the same way they would for boxed retail?

Just units I think.

Got to assume these mental £3.99 deals shifted a lot of units for them.

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
ACNH digital share in Europe+USA combined is >59%. That doesn't mean its exactly 59% in the UK, but it should be around that.

50% digital = 1.6M
60% digital = 2.0M

OP
OP

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These were digital Ratio from Switch overall

48.3% <- JFM.
55.6% <- AMJ
38.9% <- JAS

OND we will get soon

AC on JFM had 50% digital

Last edited:

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
From Where did you get these Ratio ?

Nintendo during Q1 results on bottom of page 11 (when sell-through was >20M and shipment was >22M):

Vahgp9e.png

US + EUR + JP = ~50%. Since we know JP shipments and we know max possible digital in JP (assume no inventory at end of quarters), we can come up with a minimum % for US + EUR if we make an assumption for how much shipments were outside of US/EUR/JP.

They said something similar in Q4 FY19 when ACNH launched as well. They didn't specify for FY20 Q2 per my memory, but I'm scouring the report now.

So here's the breakdown, with the working assumption being % of sales coming from outside of those three regions. I used three scenarios (10% / 15% / 20% for OTHER) and broke down the splits by quarter so far (using Famitsu LTD data for Week 13 / 26 / 39). My 59% was lower than this breakdown. The lowest figure I get now is 60% if Other is only 10%.

This is dig as a % of shipments, so you'd have to remove the inventory buffer again, but that just inflates the % even further.

7FEE5Bi.png

EDIT: Fixed the bottom three rows.

Last edited:

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
GTA continues to be one of the most impressive releases in gaming history. There must be a ton of pressure on Rockstar to produce a successful sequel. I cannot imagine the financial uncertainty in migrating those players over to GTA VI.

I don't live in the UK but they have been running those deals annually now. NBA2K has surpassed Madden in the US. So I am not surprised they are pushing a global approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.