• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
There's basically sugar free versions of almost all my favourite drinks now! Mango Aloe Vera drinks with no sugar?

Who else is happy about this? It's amazing to see like 70% of drinks now suddenly "50% sugar". Really makes you wonder what they were doing before.

Oct 27, 2017
Sugar Tax was implemented here in Mexico and we are as fat as always.

Sugary stuff is still much cheaper than healthier alternatives.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've known about aloe vera sugar free drinks for a little while... check the Asian supermarkets for em, they pretty gud
But I live in Canada

RulkezX

Oct 27, 2017
There's basically sugar free versions of almost all my favourite drinks now! Mango Aloe Vera drinks with no sugar?

Who else is happy about this? It's amazing to see like 70% of drinks now suddenly "50% sugar". Really makes you wonder what they were doing before.

They still charge the same for the full sugar version as they do for the sugar free one so fuck the sugar tax

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
Sugar is a cheap additive that increases sales, so its no wonder more than needed is added. In America its in everything, even a slice of bread has 4 grams added sugar.

Removing as much sugar as possible from my diet has done wonders. Down 40 lbs.

Deleted member 33887

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I feel like the market in the US has already been moving toward sugar free for a long time, which is dumb because they're likely not better for you. I was looking at the drink aisle trying to find lemonade with sugar in it, and Country Time Lemonade was the only one with actual sugar. Everything else was a sugar substitute.

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
RIP in peace.
I'll never forgive the sugar tax for ruining this.

images

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I feel like the market in the US has already been moving toward sugar free for a long time, which is dumb because they're likely not better for you. I was looking at the drink aisle trying to find lemonade with sugar in it, and Country Time Lemonade was the only one with actual sugar. Everything else was a sugar substitute.
In one can of soda

Diet Coke 0 Calories
Coke 140 Calories

Oct 27, 2017
Sugar is a cheap additive that increases sales, so its no wonder more than needed is added. In America its in everything, even a slice of bread has 4 grams added sugar.

Removing as much sugar as possible from my diet has done wonders. Down 40 lbs.
Do you use Stevia? I just started to use it today, put less than 1g on my coffee and it tastes Starbucks-sweet.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
There must be added even more tax to sugar, only so that the food industry doesn't oversugar or add sugar to things that don't need sugar. hell, the fries, who you mostly eat with salts are sugared!

MrChom

Oct 26, 2017

Great for people like you...less so for me. Sugar was replaced by sweeteners in many things and I can't stand the taste of sweeteners. For drinks I kind of now subsist off water or black tea. Honestly it makes me kind of miserable that even if I want to I can't get Ribena that doesn't taste of vomit.

The only drink with sweeteners I can really stand is Dr Pepper Zero which creates even more of a problem in pubs as most have dropped normal Coke in favour of drinks with sweeteners. I drive a lot so I don't drink while out...giving me a grand choice of iced tap water or go thirsty.

I wouldn't mind there being a sugar tax if the option to have drinks that don't taste like ass was still there. I would pay more in a heartbeat....as it is I don't have that choice and it sucks.

Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
Sugar Tax was implemented here in Mexico and we are as fat as always.

Sugary stuff is still much cheaper than healthier alternatives.
I'm from MĂ©xico and agree with the OP. There is a lot more choices without sugar now. I can easily go to any OXXO and get drinks without sugar (I like Naranja & Nada and Ciel Exprim). A lot of the Mexican population is still fat because they keep drinking a 3 liter Coca-Cola with each meal, no matter the price.

Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
Sugar substitute is harmless.

Deleted member 33887

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
In one can of soda

Diet Coke 0 Calories
Coke 140 Calories

Which likely confuses your body's metabolism and probably causes more down stream issues than it fixes. Go to Google Scholar, type in "diet soda" and go see what science tells you. You're probably just as likely to get a stroke, a heart attack, or diabetes from drinking diet soda as you are soda with sugar. And you're probably not even doing any good for your weight, or at least it is muddled enough there's no reason to prefer diet over sugar. It's just a marketing thing done by drink manufacturers to make people feel better about themselves.

This comes up in every single thread- people feel like because calories=0 that they're doing themselves a favor. No, you're not. You never get anything for free. If you're doing it for taste, that's one thing. But it isn't exactly healthy.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
Do you use Stevia? I just started to use it today, put less than 1g on my coffee and it tastes Starbucks-sweet.

I've just moved to unsweetened everything, and trying to find products with no added sugar. I won't lie; the first few weeks is like detoxing or kicking an addiction. But after that you pallet kinda adjusts and things that were bland before are suddenly much more flavorful.

I drink black cherry polar springs seltzer for example and the cherry flavor now tastes slightly sweet even though there's no sugar.

I'll treat myself to sweets or desert a few times a month, but everything else try to get the sugar to as low as i can find it, so no sugar soft drinks, bread with no added sugar, grains with no added sugar, suger free dairy, and stay away from a lot of boxed stuff since its coated in sugar, fat, and salt to make it palatable.

Which likely confuses your body's metabolism and probably causes more down stream issues than it fixes. Go to Google Scholar, type in "diet soda" and go see what science tells you. You're probably just as likely to get a stroke, a heart attack, or diabetes from drinking diet soda as you are soda with sugar. And you're probably not even doing any good for your weight, or at least it is muddled enough there's no reason to prefer diet over sugar. It's just a marketing thing done by drink manufacturers to make people feel better about themselves.

This comes up in every single thread- people feel like because calories=0 that they're doing themselves a favor. No, you're not. You never get anything for free. If you're doing it for taste, that's one thing. But it isn't exactly healthy.

Maybe, but health science is pretty hard to do because its hard to single out factors and correlations.

If I had a nickel for every time I was in the fast food line and someone ordered 4000 calories of fat, salt, and sugar and then added a "Diet coke"...

Plus that fast food option is so calorie packed you are hungry 90 minutes later, after eating 4000 calories.

My guess is people drinking any kind of soda regularly aren't really making the best nutritional choices.

Last edited:

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tesco Ireland are fucking milking it. Or at least some places are.

Dropped the size the can. Upped the price a bit. Blamed sugar tax.

Dropped 500ml bottles. Replaced with 375ml bottles. Kept the price tho

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York

I drink about a liter of diet soda a day, and I've lost over 50 pounds in 6 months. Diet soda has had no impact on my weight loss.

If you want to drink 1200 calories of sugar water, be my guest. I'm sticking with my 0 calorie drinks and not gaining ridiculous amounts of weight from empty calories.

Weight is based on how many calories your body uses, versus how many you take in. Nothing else matters.

Oct 25, 2017

Omg. Do better research.

My dad, and many of my patients would be dead if this were true.

It just metabolizes into waste products.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't stand the tax myself. The only fizzy drink I even buy is Cherry Coke and it's ÂŁ3.30 for three and a half litres. It's like ÂŁ1 more now for half a litre less. Don't even get me started on chocolate.

The worst part is the government said that companies would eat the cost, but all they've done is increase the price and shrink the size.

Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico

This is troll science.

GangWarily

Oct 25, 2017
I kept hearing about how the UK sugar tax ruined Irn Bru. I couldn't really taste it until I tried the Irn Bru Xtra...blegh.

The regular still seem pretty alright.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
I despise the taste of sweeteners so I'm hating the changes.

I barely drink sugary drinks, maybe one a week, usually when I'm hungover, and when I want a sugar hit. I don't want a horrible chemically sweetener aftertaste, and I don't trust artificial sweeteners.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
What this monstrous tax did to Orange lucozade can never be forgiven.

Aurizen

Oct 25, 2017
Philly
I live in Philly we have a 1.5 cent tax on sugar beverages. I can't say alternatives have been coming up. People just go out the city to get soda and juice without the tax. It hasn't been promising.

Aren't alternative sugar linked to cancer? That's one reason why I've been avoiding them.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas

Literally none of this is science lol

seat

Banned
Mar 14, 2018

No, this has all been debunked long ago. What industry lobby do you think funded the "scientific" studies you are referencing? Please don't fall for this like some anti-vaxxer.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Like cigarette taxes people pay them no matter the price.

I am a suger addict and I pay whatever they charge.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
I'm OK with Stevia, as it's been around for a long time and seems to have no harmful effects, but even that should be consumed sparingly. The other sweeteners like aspartame? Nope. Never met a person who drank diet soda regularly that didn't have a body shaped like a Hutt. While some people may lose weight drinking sugar free sweeteners, it promotes a bad diet and most people will eat poorly otherwise. So I'm not convinced a sugar tax is helping the problem much.

People would be better off learning to drink tea, coffee, and water without the sweeteners as their liquids.

Deleted member 33887

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
This is troll science.

No. It's not.

Non-nutritive sweetner consumption is strongly associated with obesity, particularly with greater waist circumference.

Plausible mechanisms for the metabolic activity of NNSs include changes in the gut microbiome, stimulation of insulin and incretinsecretion, upregulation of adipogenesis, and altered nutrient sensing by the brain.

This is from an article in Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism in 2018, which is top 5 Endocrinology journal according to one set of rankings, and has an impact factor of 10 (10 citations within a certain amount of time). Great for the person who lost weight in the short term. You should probably switch to water if you care about your long term health.

Another article from a board-certified physician.

https://theconversation.com/diet-soda-may-be-hurting-your-diet-96181

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

My girlfriend is type 1 diabetic. This sugar tax is screwing her over because sometimes you need a sugary drink in case your blood sugar is dangerously low.

Sugar is fine, people need to learn moderation.

OceanBreeze

Banned
May 7, 2018
What happened to green Coca Cola bottles? Sweetened with plant extract or something.

I thought that tasted quite good. I don't like the aspartame taste.

Oct 25, 2017
No. It's not.

This is from an article in Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism in 2018, which is top 5 Endocrinology journal according to one set of rankings, and has an impact factor of 10 (10 citations with a certain amount of time). Great for the person who lost weight in the short term. You should probably switch to water if you care about your long term health.
Are you seriously cherry picking?
Did you even read the the study, methods, and discussion?

Jan 18, 2018

I wish we had this in the US.

It blows my mind you go to a pharmacy like CVS or Rite Aid, and they have 10 fridges selling drinks.

And of those 10 fridges, maybe half of one is diet. Diet Coke, Coke Zero, Diet Pepsi, and 2 flavors of diet snapple.

Rest is sugar city

At a fucking health store