• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

The period covers BF week until Smash Bros launch week. Switch reached the 300k milestone during SMO's launch week.

Great numbers thanks to substantial marketing, great software release schedule, unofficial/official price promotions...

It is especially interesting since the Switch is relatively weaker in the UK compared to other big markets.

EDIT : additionnal info, it is 50%+ up compared to last year :

For comparison's sake, Switch sales during same period last year were roughly 130,000 units.

Last edited:

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
Switch is a monster, I doubted the 20 million but they are probably going to get it.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I bought one last week. I dunno why, think it's cos I had more money than I was expecting and wanted to buy something. It was either a new surround sound system or a switch. Then I saw it was £280 with Mario Kart and just like that I bought it. I do regret it though and may sell it on.

Good numbers though, well done Nintendo.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Wasnt Black Friday 2 weeks ago?

No matter, 200k over 3 weeks when you go 300k march -> october year one... that's pretty good :P

Oct 29, 2017
Last year's Black Friday as a general shopping season was a bit of a flop here in the UK, but this year's one was much stronger overall. Combine that with the launch of two heavy hitters and there ya go!

Very good numbers for Nintendo here! But I wouldn't expect the effect to last beyond the holiday season. The UK market is still the UK market after all; and even ignoring Nintendo's weakness here in the UK, the retail market as a whole is completely collapsing anyway.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
I know Nintendo consoles underperform in comparison to Sony in the UK, but by how much?

As in, what were the PS3 and PS4 LTD HW numbers and where is the the Wii and currently the Switch?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
That's a great number. 50% up or more is about what I was expecting around the holidays and what's needed for them to hit their forecast. It sounds like they're well on their way.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
So, it sold double of last year same period and it's going to sell the same quantities sold in 8 months in 4 weeks, basically

Oct 29, 2017
I'm quite sure that (from the info we have) total spend was down compared to last year's Black Friday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46320551

Generally deals were better this year across all sectors, so that is probably a big contributing factor to the decrease in overall spend/revenue. Overall engagement was a lot higher though. I reckon that we'll see the engagement continue to rise in the coming years, following the success of this one overcoming the push back from last year (and overall revenue will probably end up rising in turn too).

Either way, Nintendo really benefited from the greater overall Black Friday engagement; especially considering that they didn't really have much in the way of bundles and discounts; just two new bundles/heavy hitting games. So they just outright benefited from the extra customers coming into stores/online shops.

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
That compared to launch and 8 months combined is pretty insane

Last edited:

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Depends how accurate "roughly 130k" and "around 200k" are though. Either way it was a passing comment and I didn't think it would get scrutinised so much lol.

Edit: Someone else even said "double" yet I'm the one getting dogpiled, nice.

They are estimates this is true. Not much point in comparing them like that though if we arent trusting the general accuracy.

Also was not meant to be a dog pile. Just that double is inaccurate. Still a nice number.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Also was not meant to be a dog pile. Just that double is inaccurate. Still a nice number.

Oh I get that but I got all the heat when someone else literally said double. I guess it's just a reminder to not do lazy maths and round stuff down (100k is half of 200k) as it will be jumped on fast. And yeah however you look at it it's a nice increase.

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe also how much the switch might change that.

??? The Switch only managed to sell 300k during its first 8 months, that's not impressive at all. The fact that it did so much better within this time period just highlights how poor its hardware sales have been in the UK throughout the rest of the launch year.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
That 50% increase is exactly what they need this quarter to reach their sales goal. Gonna be exciting to watch the sales unfold over thr coming month.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
??? The Switch only managed to sell 300k during its first 8 months, that's not impressive at all. The fact that it did so much better within this time period just highlights how poor its hardware sales have been in the UK throughout the rest of the launch year.

It's impressive compared to Nintendo's last console offering as the Switch beat Wii U's LTD number easily within the first 11 months.

Like with most countries, Nintendo is enjoying a renaissance in the UK. Switch has already outsold Wii U in the country (by a large margin, too) despite being on sale for 11 months vs 5+ years. And UK retailer GAME has posted improved results on the back of its success.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...nt-nintendo-switch-breaking-records-in-the-uk

Is it record breaking? No, but it's still done well for a Nintendo console in the UK and can still get past the Wii to be the best selling Nintendo console ever in the UK (not looking to be as front loaded as the Wii).

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017

Uhm, I think our definition of "poor" are pretty different.

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017
It's impressive compared to Nintendo's last console offering as the Switch beat Wii U's LTD number easily within the first 11 months.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...nt-nintendo-switch-breaking-records-in-the-uk

Is it record breaking? No, but it's still done well for a Nintendo console in the UK and can still get past the Wii to be the best selling Nintendo console ever in the UK (not looking to be as front loaded as the Wii).

Nintendo Wii is out of reach for Switch.

Wii sold 6 million units in just 3 years and 8.4 during its lifespan.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Nintendo Wii is out of reach for Switch.

Wii sold 6 million units in just 3 years and 8.4 during its lifespan.

It depends how many years the Switch is on the market with a possible mid-gen refresh and possibly a cheaper "mini" or portable only version. But yeah I agree it will be out of reach if the Switch keeps the same pace it is currently doing and has the average lifespan of a console.