• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude. The sales for the Xbox One version of FIFA probably sold more in the UK than the Nintendo Switch version of FIFA sold worldwide.

I was saying this in the PAL thread, that this was a big likelihood and certain people were adamant it was not. They clearly underestimated how much FIFA sells in the UK.

It doing okay in other EU markets if i remember right.
Nothing huge like last GT games but not crash and burn either .

It will easily outsell GT6, so 6-8 million lifetime. Yes not as big as previous GTs but thats still higher than 95% of exclusive games these days and number 1 realistic racing game.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It will easily outsell GT6, so 6-8 million lifetime. Yes not as big as previous GTs but thats still higher than 95% of exclusive games these days and number 1 realistic racing game.

Where are you getting that from?

Legs have completely collapsed and it's already at incredibly cheap price ponts

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
That 25% seems a bit low but thats of total sales of games. I sure there games now that do 50% of retail sales now which in that situation would 33% of total sales. If it happened with MHW in Japan I'm sure it happens in the UK also.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Nice! Thanks Zhuge, it's great to see more data. The ~ 25% digital rate is really interesting on its own.

GTS with 484,833 and in the top 10 is great to see. I think at this point it's obvious that GTS was not a "flop". I'm not even going to be sarcastic about it because that got me in trouble here before.

Shame about the childish passive aggressiveness ITT though. Sales threads are becoming insufferable lately because of it.

Quote specific posts please, otherwise we really have no idea which posts you're talking about.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
I was saying this in the PAL thread, that this was a big likelihood and certain people were adamant it was not. They clearly underestimated how much FIFA sells in the UK.

Unless the game will be given for free in combo meals that 6-8 million lifetime number is ridiculous. I don't understand why people get so defensive. The game is fine, the market changed since the glory days of GT3.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Quote specific posts please, otherwise we really have no idea which posts you're talking about.

Sorry but no, I do not believe that is necessary. The posts are transparent in their intent and there are plenty of them, you should be more than capable of making the connection(s), like Zhuge did.

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where are you getting that from?

Legs have completely collapsed and it's already at incredibly cheap price ponts

GTS has a website which hosts user profiles. One can get data from this API, such a regional breakdown, activity and user statistics. Right now there is an extrapolated estimate of 3.68 million Sport mode players. Sales are higher than this number evidently.

GTS gets 60-70k new players every week at this point.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GTS has a website which hosts user profiles. One can get data from this API, such a regional breakdown, activity and user statistics. Right now there is an extrapolated estimate of 3.68 million Sport mode players. Sales are higher than this number evidently.

GTS gets 60-70k new players every week at this point.

If UK is considered its "strong market" I would hate to see what people think of its weaker markets.

Legs are gone, even in the UK. GT Sport isn't going to move a significant amount more units than it already has.

5 million is probably the absolute maximum we could expect, I guess.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Yeah, compared to the numbers it used to pull as a franchise and what it's selling now weekly, especially with all the talk about how humongous it still is over here... I was expecting better really.

But I dunno about stepping onto this minefield, seems to be the centrepiece of that passive aggressiveness I mentioned earlier.
GTS didn't review well either, racing isn't as popular, it was light on content people expected, and got trashed by user reviews, why would you expect it to do GT3 or GT5 numbers?

With all that, to still be a million+ seller is not the doom and gloom forum people like to speculate it to be or even give all of its sales credit to discounts. A 9.5 meta GT7 that satisfises hardcore and casual can potentially return the series to former glory. It's not that the game is still selling amazing, it's that there's never any middle ground on forums. Either it's amazing or bomba, ridiculous really.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Speaking about Destiny 2... 670k including digital is actually way lower than the first Destiny. I don't remember the precise numbers, but Destiny 1 sold around 400K first week alone at retail, and now we have Destiny 2 at 670K including digital.

...Not saying it flopped, it did bad, or anything like "DOOMED!!!!!", but yeah, Destiny 1 was actually way bigger back in 2014... In UK, of course, let's not foret this is UK alone. But now i'm very interesting in Worldwide numbers, expecially after the statment from ActiVision where they said Destiny 2 revenue were better than the first one.

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
4m~ seems in line with previous non-numbered GT titles, no? I know it's not technically a concept title, but lack of clarity on the games vision and the poor reception initially will have deterred some.

I'm no GT fanboy, I didn't actually enjoy Sport all that much, but considering the death knell people like to ring for racers and it's critics, it seems to have done well.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That 25% seems a bit low but thats of total sales of games. I sure there games now that do 50% of retail sales now which in that situation would 33% of total sales. If it happened with MHW in Japan I'm sure it happens in the UK also.

It's the UK. They have an extremely price competitive retail market.
The digital pricing is not even not on par with retail MSRP, it's above most of the time.

4m~ seems in line with previous non-numbered GT titles, no? I know it's not technically a concept title, but lack of clarity on the games vision and the poor reception initially will have deterred some.

I'm no GT fanboy, I didn't actually enjoy Sport all that much, but considering the death knell people like to ring for racers and it's critics, it seems to have done well.

GTS should reach GT 6 numbers faster than its predecessor. But i doubt the game will ever mange to break the 10m mark. Most likely not.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Unless the game will be given for free in combo meals that 6-8 million lifetime number is ridiculous. I don't understand why people get so defensive. The game is fine, the market changed since the glory days of GT3.
I actually don't think that number is ridiculous, especially when it will eventually added to a fifa bundle to give added value. Just over half of what it did at its peak doesn't sound unreasonable.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry but no, I do not believe that is necessary. The posts are transparent in their intent and there are plenty of them, you should be more than capable of making the connection(s), like Zhuge did.

The issue is many people find it difficult to seperate their personal feeling when looking at market trends / sales. This has always been the case, and unfortunately always will be.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
GTS didn't review well either, racing isn't as popular, it was light on content people expected, and got trashed by user reviews, why would you expect it to do GT3 or GT5 numbers?

With all that, to still be a million+ seller is not the doom and gloom forum people like to speculate it to be or even give all of its sales credit to discounts. A 9.5 meta GT7 that satisfises hardcore and casual can potentially return the series to former glory. It's not that the game is still selling amazing, it's that there's never any middle ground on forums. Either it's amazing or bomba, ridiculous really.

Like Zhuge and Benji have said its sales are middling. Not really impressive. So-so. You're right, it isn't just "amazing or bomba" because games can sell middling numbers in context and still not be 'bombas'. What I was alluding to in my original comment was that I thought it would be impressive, if not a juggernaut like it once was.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
If UK is considered its "strong market" I would hate to see what people think of its weaker markets.

Legs are gone, even in the UK. GT Sport isn't going to move a significant amount more units than it already has.

Even with your knowledge that's still speculative as GTS has been gaining good will with updates, and 5 million is simply low for pass GT games, amazing for a IP that's had it's worse critical reception.

GTS to me just shows the brand is strong, they just have to satisfy customers better with content. If a weak GTSport is doing 5 million, I think GT7 will kill, of course we are talking about PD here, but still lol...

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I remember the Horizon Zero legs comments, or how the Complete Edition didn't chart anywhere.
And here we are one year after release, we have GT Sport doing similar sales to Horizon with half of the time in the market in UK or Spain and looks like is still a flop.

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The API data shows otherwise. Unless you have EU sales info, shouldn't we going by the API as its directly linked to the game.

Disagree. By end of March, the game will have accounted for nearly 4 million players.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

When you call posters "childishly passive aggressive", I thought it might be important to know who you're talking about.

EDIT: Oh, this about people saying that GTS didn't flop. You can see why, right? There are posts calling "flop" in every GTS thread. It's obnoxious, and this sales data disproves that, at least in the UK.

Last edited:

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017

I'll take the over on that, 6-8 million for number me.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The issue is many people find it difficult to seperate their personal feeling when looking at market trends / sales. This has always been the case, and unfortunately always will be.

Indeed. The fact that it's the same people parroting the same stuff makes it more grating than it was like the first time they said it in like September/October/whenever it came out. But I digress. All-in-all I'd hope that the situation can improve in this area even if like you say it will never go away entirely. This site's still young after all.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Like Zhuge and Benji have said its sales are middling. Not really impressive. So-so. You're right, it isn't just "amazing or bomba" because games can sell middling numbers in context and still not be 'bombas'. What I was alluding to in my original comment was that I thought it would be impressive, if not a juggernaut like it once was.
Yeah I agree there I think it could easily been a 10+million seller if PD wasn't this slow and GTS (even this version) came out closer to launch of PS4.

This is the game that should ship with every Playstation, I really don't know what Sony is doing with this franchise but GT7 will hopefully right the ship. All it has to be is GTS+all updates, a ton of cars and a fresh coat of paint for PS5 launch.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even with your knowledge that's still speculative as GTS has been gaining good will with updates, and 5 million is simply low for pass GT games, amazing for a IP that's had it's worse critical reception.

GTS to me just shows the brand is strong, they just have to satisfy customers better with content. If a weak GTSport is doing 5 million, I think GT7 will kill, of course we are talking about PD here, but still lol...

It's not speculative at all.

GT Sport didn't place in the top 40 in the UK last week
https://www.resetera.com/threads/pal-charts-week-8-2018.25788/#post-4946027

GT Sport didn't place in the Top 40 2 weeks ago
https://www.resetera.com/threads/pal-charts-week-7-2018.24303/

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
For folks in the know has there ever been a spring or summer release that topped the annual chart? If so, what was the last one?

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony could start heavily bundling GT Sport. That would help legs quite a bit I would guess.

Outside of that though, I'm curious where people think the legs are going to come from? They aren't coming from NA, Japan, or seemingly the UK, so which markets are going to add another 2+ million sales for the game?

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Those Call of Duty sales are actually pretty strong. Talking about retail sales only, last time a CoD game surpassed 2.4 million was in 2012, with Call of Duty Black Ops II which did over 2.6 million, obvius those numbers include digital, but i doubt digital was much important back then.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
It's not speculative at all.

GT Sport didn't place in the top 40 in the UK last week
https://www.resetera.com/threads/pal-charts-week-8-2018.25788/#post-4946027

GT Sport didn't place in the Top 40 2 weeks ago
https://www.resetera.com/threads/pal-charts-week-7-2018.24303/
That's recent trends. We have success stories this generation of games that have rebounded with good will. Rainbow 6 I believe had a boost.

Heck I'm not saying you are off,(I projected 5.5 million myself LTS) I just don't care for blanket statements like that, the industry is predictable, but there's always exceptions.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Indeed. The fact that it's the same people parroting the same stuff makes it more grating than it was like the first time they said it in like September/October/whenever it came out. But I digress. All-in-all I'd hope that the situation can improve in this area even if like you say it will never go away entirely. This site's still young after all.
Bruh don't you think its a little hippocritical calling people out for being passive aggressive but not recognising your doing the same by not address those poster directly.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Agree, one just have to look at Media Create to see how insufferable some people are.

Yeah I mean I guess. Different things annoy different people.

I'll be happy to drop this now though if everyone's OK. Just wanted to air my frustration about the responses on that first page in particular.

Psrock1

Oct 27, 2017
Sony could start heavily bundling GT Sport. That would help legs quite a bit I would guess.

Outside of that though, I'm curious where people think the legs are going to come from? They aren't coming from NA, Japan, or seemingly the UK, so which markets are going to add another 2+ million sales for the game?
I can' t remember a GT game that wasn't bundle. It's the top racing game Sony has, it will continue to sell.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's recent trends. We have success stories this generation of games that have rebounded with good will. Rainbow 6 I believe had a boost.

Heck I'm not saying you are off,(I projected 5.5 million myself LTS) I just don't care for blanket statements like that, the industry is predictable, but there's always exceptions.

I mean sure, it could even hit 10 million, who knows.

But when discussing sales trends all we have to work with, is the data in front of us. In which case I'm just curious where the discussion comes from that 6-8 million is a lock for GT Sport as some in here are posting.

There isn't any major market that's show evidence of that, and the game is already at very cheap price points often. So a sales drop isn't going to do it. I have nothing personally against the game at all I'm just struggling to see the path to those numbers especially 7-8 million without very heavy bundling.

Tiber

Nov 1, 2017
Crash's numbers are encouraging. What a success. Publishers should take note and start doing remakes of their biggest PS1 and PS2 era hits, especially for dormant franchises like Crash. They can revive them that way and make new entries if they are successful. If Microsoft isn't looking into bringing back Banjo Kazooie and maybe Battletoads, they're missing out.

I would love to see more Ps1 and PS2 remasters, but Crash (and to a slightly lesser extent Spyro) is a special case

Nov 4, 2017
As expected of UK... mostly into biggest and most mainstream western games as usual with not much variety, disappointing

Well, Call of Duty and FIFA are to the videogame industry what superhero and shitty romcoms are to Hollywood. It's the most mainstream of the mainstream of the mainstream of the casual mainstream. This is the largest portion of the market. I'd love to see genuine data on demographics just to see if teenagers are dictating the entire videogame industry.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Well then you thought wrong I guess.

So, if saying GTS isn't a "flop" is childishly passive aggressive, what do you call it when a poster continues to insist that is a flop? Does that also indicate that people can't separate their personal feelings when looking at market trends / sales, or does that only work in one direction?

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm probably not remembering numbers correctly, I thought it was just the numbered titles (barring 6 and maybe 5, marginally?) that broke the 10s and the concepts were around 4-6.

But yeah, no way GTS is breaking 10.
DXTb2KtWsAA1VUI.jpg:large

So every mainline GT beside 6 sold around 10 million.
3 was the outliner with even 15 million.

GTS needs to beat GT 6 for sure to be considered a success.
Sony has many new games and third party partnerships so a heavy bundling strategy is maybe no option. They rather pack in software, that has a broader appeal today.
My personal guess is GTS will end up between 6 and 7 million lifetime. A racing game is also nothing i can see you can turn around like CS:GO or Fortnite.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, if saying GTS isn't a "flop" is childishly passive aggressive, what do you call it when a poster continues to insist that is a flop? Does that also indicate that people can't separate their personal feelings when looking at market trends / sales, or does that only work in one direction?

Calling GT Sport a flop is silly and childish yes. Its still going to move somewhere north of 4 million copies. Probably above 5 million

But middling / ok is probably the appropriate view on it. It isn't great, but its not a flop either.