• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
TV company Alaska to resurrect cult format GamesMaster

1309720_gamemaster_295146.jpg

This is a story for UK-folk-of-a-certain-age, but the Channel 4 video game show 'GamesMaster', which famously starred Patrick Moore as the eponymous sage of video games, is gearing up for a reboot.

The basic idea of the show was that people would attempt video game challenges in front of a crowd, and this was interspliced with kids asking the GamesMaster for advice in some of their favourite games.

GamesMaster was very much a show of it's time, do people think it can work in 2019?

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
So it would basically be Fortnite the TV series these days, would take a hard pass on that one.

I don't see how it would work either when you have things like Twitch and YouTube.

Companies need to stop bringing back nostalgic shows and try to make some original content imo.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
The format was always kind of ropey, but it was elevated by Dominik Diamond's presenting, and whoever their talent booker was picking pretty good guests.

Hard to imagine exactly what a reboot of it would look like, certainly would need to pick the right person to host. Maybe if they could get Charlie Brooker, but I think he's probably too busy for this kind of thing these days.

Patrick Moore was a bigot.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
The format was always kind of ropey, but it was elevated by Dominik Diamond's presenting, and whoever their talent booker was picking pretty good guests.

Hard to imagine exactly what a reboot of it would look like, certainly would need to pick the right person to host. Maybe if they could get Charlie Brooker, but I think he's probably too busy for this kind of thing these days.

Patrick Moore was a bigot.

Wow, parasites? Really? I never knew he said this, that's absolutely disgusting.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather Bad Influence! To be honest, games master wouldn't really work these days.

It would be

Gamesmaster how do i complete this part of the game?

He'd reply:

"By the timesaver pack for £10"

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
It can't work beyond a one off nostalgia special, no. GamesMaster was good for its time but won't ween today's youngsters off Twitch.

Zip Stick

Oct 30, 2017
Not sure it would work today with all the streaming.

I would think youd need to cater for an older market with retro gaming including celebrities / comedians... and then i remembered Go 8 Bit... which didnt really do that well :(

OP
OP
Tregard

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
What was the show on sky 1 in the 2000's with the guy in the lift giving out cheat codes ?

Gamezville, with the Gamez Guru. I remember that show was extremely low budget except for one time they flew someone out to Japan to talk with Satoshi Tajiri

Not sure it would work today with all the streaming.

I would think youd need to cater for an older market with retro gaming including celebrities / comedians... and then i remembered Go 8 Bit... which didnt really do that well :(

It got 3 series, not too bad considering anything on Dave other than Taskmaster usually dies on it's arse!

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Wow, parasites? Really? I never knew he said this, that's absolutely disgusting.
It is disgusting. He never got over the fact that his fiancée got killed by a bomb in WW2 and, whilst no excuse for being racist, he admitted in later life interviews the war had created some xenophobia inside him. He said he never looked for another relationship in his lifetime because nobody could ever replace his dead fiancée. He was a complicated man, the bigotry just happens to be a part of that.
Plenty of people who lived during that time didn't spout racist/homophobic/xenophobic language, sure, there were more people doing it then than in this day and age but still, it's not an excuse for that behaviour.
Very true. It's no excuse. But like anybody, there was more to him than one opinion of poor taste.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
It is disgusting. He never got over the fact that his fiancée got killed by a bomb in WW2 and, whilst no excuse for being racist, he admitted in later life interviews the war had created some xenophobia inside him. He said he never looked for another relationship in his lifetime because nobody could ever replace his dead fiancée. He was a complicated man, the bigotry just happens to be a part of that.

Very true. It's no excuse. But like anybody, there was more to him than one opinion of poor taste.

I am not saying he was a bad person overall, plenty of people are capable of change, just because a person has these views in life doesn't mean that they cannot become a better person or that there isn't underlying reasons behind those sort of views.

However, I am also sure many people have also suffered the same or similar tragedies he has and have not resorted to bigotry.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Since it's TGS time, the 1st I ever heard of TGS was when Dominik Diamond went to TGS for an episode of gamesmaster and was just walking around casually in his Celtic Jersey.

Alexem

Oct 27, 2017
Essex, UK
Without Dominik on board - and that's pretty much unlikely, seeing as he's been settled in Canada for years and hates flying - there's no point. Hell, they wouldn't even be able to get Dexter Fletcher to do it these days, now he's an award winning director.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
Gamezville, with the Gamez Guru. I remember that show was extremely low budget except for one time they flew someone out to Japan to talk with Satoshi Tajiri

It got 3 series, not too bad considering anything on Dave other than Taskmaster usually dies on it's arse!

Ah thank you ! I remember watching it alot but have literally no specific memories except for lift guy.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Dominik Diamond lives here in Canada now and works in radio. Blew my mind when I heard him on Q107 in Toronto (I'm also a Scottish ex-pat). I think he does a show in Calgary now.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Oh wow, this would be cool if true. I remember Dominik Diamond came back for a bit with a new video game show called When Games Attack which I really enjoyed, would be great to see GamesMaster back though.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

I give this post 3 Gs

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
Maaaan, I hope they stick to the old premise of turning non competitive games into competitive games.

It worked so well for me as they'd often retool single player games into challenges rather than just pick straight up multiplayer games. If it just ends up being Fortnite/Rocket League then I can't imagine it holding my attention.