• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Outside of the top titles, Sega's Valkyria Chronicles IV debuts at No.9, with the PS4 version accounting for most of the sales (54%), followed by Switch (39%) and then Xbox One (7%).

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...-takes-no-1-but-physical-launch-sales-plummet

There's already a thread, but I think one specific for VC4 would be recommended.

From my own perspective, Switch is pulling its weight especially considering its install base, Sony's dominance in PAL regions (IIRC, I think especially in the UK), and also the IP's recognition among Sony fans via the series being exclusive until this year (bar the PC release, but you get the idea). And XBO... is not looking so good to say the least.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
More or less what we expected no?

UK is pretty much PlaystationLand and Xbox is pretty much a non factor so 54% looks about right. But I honestly expected much less Switch sales. Great job!

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly not surprised with XBO. No other Valkyria Chronicles was on the console yet they just threw the 4th one on there. Also barely any promo for the game leads to what you see here. It sucks though, but it is what it is :'(

Hope SEGA doesn't take it as a reason to stop releasing their more japanese-centric games on there but I'm not that confident.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Interesting to see Nintendo not being 3rd in 3rd party game sales for once.

Also, considering how fewer Switches there are compared to the PS4, that percentage is actually really high.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
True, especially with Spider-Man I think grabbing most (all?) the attention on PS4 during the period.

Probably more of a combination of Spider-Man, Fifa 19 and Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Those are some pretty tentpole titles that I'd imagine appeal to a heavy portion of the PS4 demographic.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly not surprised with XBO. No other Valkyria Chronicles was on the console yet they just threw the 4th one on there. Also barely any promo for the game leads to what you see here. It sucks though, but it is what it is :'(

Hope SEGA doesn't take it as a reason to stop releasing their more japanese-centric games on there but I'm not that confident.

I've heard some say Japanese games do poorly on XBO and that's why they commonly avoid it and it's surprising when it happens, is this indeed true? I remember FF Type-0 HD being overwhelmingly more popular on PS4 compared to XBO, like wasn't it something like literally 90% PS4 and 10% XBO?

XBO's near non-existence in Japan doesn't help either.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting to see Nintendo not being 3rd in 3rd party game sales for once.

Also, considering how fewer Switches there are compared to the PS4, that percentage is actually really high.

You can kind of expect that pretty consistently from now on for any Japanese game that's on all three consoles. PS4 and Switch will likely trade off the top slot pretty consistently and XBO will trail at a distant third.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard some say Japanese games do poorly on XBO and that's why they commonly avoid it and it's surprising when it happens, is this indeed true? I remember FF Type-0 HD being overwhelmingly more popular on PS4 compared to XBO, like wasn't it something like literally 90% PS4 and 10% XBO?

Niche Japanese games sell very poorly in comparison to PS4, on XBO. The only ones that do decently/good are the biggest name stuff like MGS/FF/RE. I think a lot of 360's JRPG crowd in the west went with PS4s or more recently the Switch.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well yeah FIFA+ spiderman. The game stood no chance on ps4 thats for sure. But what are the actual numbers? if it bombed on everything then 7% on 80% makes no difference.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty bad considering the UK is probably the second biggest market for Xbox. The PS4 doesn't have that big a lead over the Xbox One in that region and yet here you have this game selling far more on that platform. I understand that prior entries weren't on Xbox but they weren't on Nintendo either and the game did much better on that platform despite the smaller install base in the UK.

If Xbox owners want to keep begging for these games then they need to step up and support them. Heck the PS4 had far more competition as well with games like Spider-Man out currently and the game still sold well on there. I know Sega just kind of started to put their games out on Xbox but I'll be curious if poor sales for this change that going forward.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if a lot of XBO owners are just waiting for games to come to game pass now. MS has kind of changed the way shit works on the console, I wouldn't blame them

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Add another example to the pile of reasons why the xbox audience doesn't support these types of games.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017

Isn't Forza really popular in the UK?

Oct 25, 2017
Total sales of a console isn't a way to measure potential sales for such more niche titles.

PS4 and Switch are proved systems for Japanese anime centric titles.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

The spin off Valkyria Revolution was on Xbox One, but you would expect the sales of that game would let Sega know what to expect.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

revolution was on xbox oje but not switch

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

It's a completely standalone title. It takes place at the same time as titles 1 and 3 in the series and before 2, not to mention 3 didn't ever get localized outside Japan. It also barely even references 1 outside a few cameo mentions. The excuse also doesn't work when no VC game has ever been on a nintendo console before either

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game debuted at #9 on the UK charts in a relatively slow week. For its part, the PC version has sold 20-50,000 copies, and sales have now basically tanked as the game slips to page 3 of the Steam top sellers and beyond.

The game also sold worse than the PSP exclusive VC3 in Japan. Future of the series seems a little grim.

Apr 21, 2018
The game debuted at #9 on the UK charts in a relatively slow week. For its part, the PC version has sold 20-50,000 copies, and sales have now basically tanked as the game slips to page 3 of the Steam top sellers and beyond.

The game also sold worse than the PSP exclusive VC3 in Japan. Future of the series seems a little grim.

Ah dang. I didn't think it would sell too well, but hopefully good enough to continue the series.

I'm going to pick it up soon. It looks great.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
So a jrpg did poorly on Xbox one? Who could've seen that coming. Next you're telling me serialized EA games do poorly on Nintendo.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017

They failed to evolve the series and basically just made a copy of the first game with a worse story.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Too overtly Anime for XB1 I think. It's one thing if you're Dragonball or Naruto, it's another when you're a niche title.

That's why I'm baffled at Code Vein coming to XB1.