• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/

I discovered this game a few years ago, and it's been an impressive project to follow. Its development began in 2011, and it's planned to be a decade-long project, all by one man

An alpha is available to download on the site

A roguelike game inspired by the literature of Jorge Borges, Umberto Eco & Neal Stephenson, and the games Europa Universalis and Dark Souls.

Ultima Ratio Regum ("the last argument of kings") is a ten-year project, the first three and a half years of which were completed during my doctoral research. It's a game which aims to integrate thematic content on historiography, philosophical idealism and the rise of modernist grand narratives, with the deep, complex and challenging gameplay one expects from a "classic" roguelike (and, of course, an ANSI display and permadeath).

Set approximately around the Scientific Revolution, the player is tasked with discovering a conspiracy via identifying procedurally-generated clues hidden throughout the world's cultures, religions and societies; the game features extensive procedural generation of everything from tombs and religious altars to (in the future) paintings and sculptures, any or all of which may contain the clues required in a given playthrough.

Having largely concluded the four-year "worldbuilding" portion of the game's development, the goal for 2015-2016 is to finish and release the first version with significant gameplay content (summer 2016).

Here's a generated world. Civilizations will have thousands of years of history and their own religions, which have their symbols and gods and rituals and means of worships and rules and festivals.

Closer, a zoomed-in view of a city, which can support up to 300,000 NPCs ranging from slums and graveyards to churches and monasteries to castles and everything in between. Cities are divided into districts which up to 1,000 buildings in each district (Docks, Markets, Pubs, Gambling Halls, Noble houses, Guilds, Jails, Apothecaries, Hospitals, Barracks, Blacksmiths, Cathedrals, Libraries, Universities, Courts, Temples, Altars, and more)
New-World.png
A-City.png

Closer, a castle in a city.

Closer still, street level is in the vein of ASCII-style roguelikes like Dwarf Fortress. And closer still, an individual NPC. And closer still, area of the world have different "genetics" that deem skin tone and hair/eye color

Everything in the game is generated, from individual garments of all types to prayer mats and coat of arms for important families

Combat will be rare but the combat mechanics are as detailed everything else. This blog post talks about weapons types (over 200,000 weapons) and combat. Combat will not be simply bumping into enemies, but more complex and use the number keys for different attacks, stances, and actions.

The game will probably remind one of Game of Thrones. A world with no magic, with large families and lesser houses, vassals and lords, hunter-gatherer tribes and small towns, all interacting and having their own lives and schedules, nations with their own ingrained cultures and religions that can be spread across an entire country or confined to a small isolated area

Ultima Regio Regum will have a story to drive the player forward, a mystery and investigation. Rather than being focused on combat, progress revolves around learning about the world, gaining key knowledge to further your quest and safely travel through the nations and peoples of the world. For example, studying the contract list of a mercenary guild from a certain city to gain important knowledge about an individual

But the developer plans to go even deeper than that. A player may need to earn access to a restricted area or isolated nations. You can bribe someone for documents or perhaps accept a certain faith to be allowed in. But one would also be able to disguise and bluff their way, through wearing certain clothing or dying your hear or applying tattoos or through mentioning details and knowledge learning from your travels.

Nations and individuals from nations will have ideological clashes and common ground, that could range from ruling families holding grudges or two distinct theocracies hating each other due to a difference in religion, to imperialist nations having a shared love of gladiatorial combat. Nations will have a full range of laws and varying punishments for each, covering everything from attempted burglary to murdering a highborn noble.

Last edited:

Cirrus

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like an even more in depth Dwarf Fortress adventure mode. I'll give it a try once 0.8 comes out, and see if there is anything substantial to do in it yet.

23qwerty

Oct 27, 2017
This looks phenomenal, hopefully it's not too impenetrable a la dwarf fortress

How playable is it right now?

Volodja

Oct 25, 2017
I was following the development of the game a bit more closely a while ago, back when I would still listen regularly to the RoguelikeRadio podcast that has already been linked.

The ideas are absolutely fascinating but it always seemed like in the alphas available there wasn't actually anything to do but to observe some parts of the history simulation so I never really got to take a look at it deeply.
However it looks like the 0.8 version is gonna be the first major gameplay release, and it should come out relatively soon. I'll surely be there for that.

omf

Oct 30, 2017
The depth of the world generation is mind-boggling, and an achievement in itself. Even with nothing to do, it's pretty cool to run around in different societies and see the procgen at work. It'll be interesting to see how much of the depth ties into gameplay.
Even with its massive scope, the craziest thing to me is that the game exists in a single python file.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
The dev Mark Johnson appears quite a bit on the Roguelike Radio podcast. URR is an epicly scoped roguelike, but I think Mark splits his time between this, and his academic career, and his Shmup conquests.. a couple of years past, but there was an episode on the game.

Yeah, it's kinda amazing to think this started just building on a tutorial game. Although from what I've heard in the podcast, is kinda shows (it's all in one source file that is so big it often crashes the editor).