• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
pic of the OP:

The_Real_Story_Behind_Black_Guy_On_The_Phone_Meme-500x500.jpg

lol

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Just to clarify, my reaction is less about the whole pirating thing and more to do with the setting he said it in.

I mean, would you say that sort of thing within earshot of your boss?
My boss kept telling everyone how great his pirate satellite box was. (Until it was remotely bricked by Dish, lol.) He also had me jailbreak his 2nd gen Apple TV so he could load pirate movie sources on it.

OP
OP
Poltergust

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
My boss kept telling everyone how great his pirate satellite box was. (Until it was remotely bricked by Dish, lol.) He also had me jailbreak his 2nd gen Apple TV so he could load pirate movie sources on it.
All the anecdotes mentioned in this thread seem to have a running theme: that the person's boss is open about their pirating habits and informs them about it.

Well, let's reverse the power dynamic here. What if you didn't know? Would you tell your boss about your own pirating habits, off the cuff? Even though I don't personally consider pirating a big deal, I can't judge how other people feel (even if it's likely the same thing), and it just doesn't seem smart to talk about that sort of stuff.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Just to clarify, my reaction is less about the whole pirating thing and more to do with the setting he said it in.

I mean, would you say that sort of thing within earshot of your boss?
Our work has a shared seedbox.

lol yup, I've been at places before that collectively pirated things and shared resources, USING work resources. That was a bit much but I still wasn't too fazed. Sad truth.

I mean, I've seen some execs where I've worked toss around USB sticks (in the pre-SVOD/Netflix days) with seasons of shows on them. Sadly NBD.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite instance of this sort of thing is when people are talking about just seeing a movie that's no longer in theaters but hasn't hit Blu-ray yet either.

Happens everywhere, all the time and I always chuckle when I notice it.

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You forgot. He's never pirated anything, so he's not going to jail.

he'll get framed for it like in Shawshank Redemption, then 10 years of hard time jail later some elvis-looking kid will tell him "I had a cell mate back in county... admitted he pirated Dragon Quest on the Switch. I remember him laughing, saying 'the funny thing is, they pinned it all on this Era member *wheezing laugh*' "

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
this is super funny
like without piracy most people outside the us wouldn't be able to see shit

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol. Thanks for the laugh OP.
I'm gonna pull the same stunt next time my friends ask me if I wanna go smoke some weed

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This one time I went to lunch with my boss, and the dude just jaywalked right across the street. I mean sure there was no traffic, but did he know he was committing a crime?? I was so flabbergasted I didn't know what to do so I just followed along, and now I'm the one committing crimes!

So Era, should I turn myself in?

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All the anecdotes mentioned in this thread seem to have a running theme: that the person's boss is open about their pirating habits and informs them about it.

Well, let's reverse the power dynamic here. What if you didn't know? Would you tell your boss about your own pirating habits, off the cuff? Even though I don't personally consider pirating a big deal, I can't judge how other people feel (even if it's likely the same thing), and it just doesn't seem smart to talk about that sort of stuff.

You're going off the assumption that anyone in the real world cares that you downloaded something.
It's like being afraid of mentioning you jaywalked on the way to work because it's technically illegal. It's on the same foot. Nobody actually cares.

OP
OP
Poltergust

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
You're going off the assumption that anyone in the real world cares that you downloaded something.
It's like being afraid of mentioning you jaywalked on the way to work because it's technically illegal. It's on the same foot. Nobody actually cares.
Where I work is probably one of the few places that could actually have people who care.

Admittedly, though, that's just my assumption.

A_Ageli

Oct 24, 2019
Where I work is probably one of the few places that could actually have people who care.

It's just your assumption and since it is that, it makes me question how you could personally not care about pirating, otherwise you probably wouldn't have brought it up in the first place.

Outside of some very specific examples, your workplace not being one of them, nobody cares. Now, file sharing on the other hand, that's a different issue.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Tom-Hanks-Big-Palisades-Interstate-Park.jpg

Is this some kinda Big situation OP? But seriously, no I wouldn't think twice about mentioning pirating to my boss. How many people's bosses do you honestly think have any clue what you're even talking about? Chances are they either don't care/do it themselves or they hear pirate and Nintendo Switch and glaze over and ignore it.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017

Have you ever worked in an environment where an employee could be reprimanded or terminated for admitting to pirating a Nintendo game? Just trying to understand if there's an origin to this.

OP
OP
Poltergust

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Unless you work at like the USPTO or Norton I really don't think anyone would care. And even then, they probably all still pirate stuff.
There's a bit more to it. This is the kind of company where every employee has to get security clearance, and the company itself has very close relations with the federal government. As a result, many of the higher-ups (some of which are military-affiliated) are very by-the-book and rely on employees to follow protocol and such.

So, this is very much not the kind of place where you should talk about such things when they're around, even if it's something this petty.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Hell, during my cinema studies, my teachers all had those files still named like "breaking.bad.full.show.torrent" or "hana.bi.1998.HDLight1080p", not even trying to hide it from us.

I don't think that I personally know someone who pirate games. But films ? Everyone does it. This is not allowed to promote pirating here, but if you really think that a student who is already having trouble to pay his rent and food will pay for the hundreds of films per year he'll have to watch... Ehhh...
Even if you're not a student. Subscription services are a good step in the right direction for us cinema enthusiastics, but even then, you can't find everything on it.
I try to get legaly as much as I can.

Video games tho, yeah no, never pirated and probably never will. I watch a film per evening. I don't get a new game per day lol.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
No one cares about piracy except out of touch CEOs. So unless you work at a TV studio your coworker is probably fine lol

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

I'd assume the boss would only care if company resources were involved.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting to understand why so many on this forum are against things like Denuvo. This thread tells a much different story compared to the rationale I used to see in those threads.

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland
Where I live, pirating is more or less legal. So yeah, no one gives a shit if you do. I don't know anyone who didn't frequently browse "illegal" streaming sites as a child. Though It has somewhat changed now with Netflix and what not...

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I don't pirate, cus proper releases are better quality and benefit the Devs. But when I was a small kid I didn't really have a choice as I was poor and most of the movies I watched were bought by my dad who very much pirated everything.

As a kid you don't really realise until you're old enough to start buying stuff yourself that DS games don't usually come with 30 new releases on a single cartridge.

Most of the pirated games I got though we're cus my dad bought a bunch of XBox games off someone who owed him money as an exchange for the amount owed. Half of them didn't work ofcourse and the owns that did had odd issues. I genuinely thought that Halo 2 was meant to be voiced entirely in Spanish.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I've been in work scenarios where they've booted up pirated movies on the projector as part of presentations. The general public doesn't give a shit.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
OP your first mistake was not reporting it to the FBI.

Pirating is the WORST.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
my coworker seemed more surprised when i told him i buy video games