• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I was at a work meeting about 50 minutes ago, and during the lead up into it we were all talking about how our Thanksgiving break went. We talked about traveling and activities, and I brought up how I basically spent the entire break playing DQXI on the Switch.

Then, one of my co-workers said "Oh, that game? Yeah, I pirated it last year, but it was so buggy that I didn't get far."

And I was so flabbergasted. I literally said out loud "Dude, did you just admit to a crime?" This was at work, with everyone in the room clearly hearing him, including his superiors.

And he then just brushed it off like it was no big deal. I simply couldn't believe how brazen that was.

I could understand opening up about this sort of stuff among friends, but at work? Honestly, I doubt he'd be reprimanded in any way, but good lord.

I'm not overreacting here, am I?

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"Dude, did you just admit to a crime?"

lol?

This is definitely a You Thing.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't normally come up in conversation anymore, but yeah, I think it's pretty normal. I still have a few friends who refuse to pay for anything, use newsgroups or w/e to download everything, even though they're well within financial means to spend $9/mo on Netflix or something.

also please someone "YOU WOULDN'T DOWNLOAD A CAR" image

Three 6 Mafia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You a cop, OP?

in all seriousness, yeah you overreacted a bit. people do pirate and people do still talk about it very very casually. Especially pirating TV

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, you are over reacting a bit.

I know people who openly admit torrenting or (in most cases) using a hacked/jailbroken firestick. Or buying bootleg DVDs from certain gas stations and the like.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I live in brazil.
This weekeend I was in a barbecue and one of the main topics was how cute was baby yoda and how people were loving The Mandalorian

It will take almost a year for Disney+ to be released in Brazil.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Did you report them to the proper authorities?

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
giphy.gif

"... yeah i'll just watch it on my Firestick" this basically amounts to the same thing and I don't even think twice about it.

Last edited:

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
C'mon. You better not show me ur .mp3 player. I doubt there's anyone clean of not illegally downloading something

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Like practically everybody I know uses those KODI Firesticks, even openly sells them on the internet or in public. Growing up we had a black box to watch all the wrestling and boxing PPVS for free. Yes, its normal. People view it as a victimless crime.

Jul 18, 2018
I like to think of torrents as a public library. Where we all distribute items within a community and by not sharing/seeding your late fee penalty is lowered speeds.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Is the OP a cop?
Did you ever talk to someone about music from, say, 2000-2011ish (the start of Spotify in America)?

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, one time I was at Target and one of the stockers started telling a soccer mom about these DS carts she could buy instead with "all the games".

OP
OP
Poltergust

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Just to clarify, my reaction is less about the whole pirating thing and more to do with the setting he said it in.

I mean, would you say that sort of thing within earshot of your boss?

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
Fucking criminals openly confessing to their heinous crimes while at work. The god damn balls on him

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Please tell me you said "you wouldn't download a car??" to your coworker.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
I know the we're on a website with the restrictions about the topic you mention but I promise you 99% of folks don't react the way you do. I know most people with a fire stick got it for one purpose only, I would tell you but I don't want you having a heart attack.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
did you ask him if he would download a car?

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
I was at a work meeting about 50 minutes ago, and during the lead up into it we were all talking about how our Thanksgiving break went. We talked about traveling and activities, and I brought up how I basically spent the entire break playing DQXI on the Switch.

Then, one of my co-workers said "Oh, that game? Yeah, I pirated it last year, but it was so buggy that I didn't get fa--

tenor.gif

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
OP, did you just snitch? On the public internet?