• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
lRtY27h.gif

UnsungDefinitiveErin-size_restricted.gif

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes it's normal. Depending on context I'll either think the person is a total cheapskate or I'll understand though.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I come from the era of mother fuckers in barber shops with a whole ass bag of bootleg films for sale. Yes its normal and no one cares.
where you could get Mrs. Doubtfire and a conspiracy film about how Jimmy Carter covertly stole organs from Floridians

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More growth is good too, I want the companies I enjoy content from toget the most out of what they put out. And not all companies are breaking records and being successful, some or doing ok or just getting by. Again, not going to feel bad for being called a corporate bootlicker.
lol okay wow. I bet you hate the idea of used game sales too. I guess I better not ever buy a game at any price but full price too! Gotta maximize that growth for that faceless corporation that doesn't care about me!

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
lol okay wow. I bet you hate the idea of used game sales too. I guess I better not ever buy a game at any price but full price too! Gotta maximize that growth for that faceless corporation that doesn't care about me!

I never thought companies care about me other than a number. I care about them though and the people that work in them.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Glorious, glorious thread.
"Casually admitting to a crime" will see a lot of usage.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Youre kinda naive OP, i mean people on this website are discussing manga chapters before the magazines are officially out in Japan, :thinking

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
No, that is potentially even more growth that is not occurring. It just means thankfully there is a large percentage of people that are actually willing to pay for their entertainment rather than feel entitled to it.

Studies and simple logic say/show that someone exposed to something for 'free' is far more likely to actually pay money for that thing in the future. So no, eliminating piracy would probably be a net negative for most industries. Most publishers happily trade a little margin for better word of mouth. That's essentially what marketing is to begin with anyways.

Steam has been around how long and we still have people not understanding the core tenets: some pirates are not and never will be your paying customers AND that piracy is largely a service problem for the ones that want to support you.

New002

Oct 25, 2017
My God if I check back at one point and OP's new tag is "Downloaded a car" I'm gonna lose it lol.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Picturing a world where we collectively cared about class, race, bigotry, and the environment like we do the copyright privileges of megacorporations.

It's a stark difference.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
One of my professors openly talked about pirating stuff, and even played pirated content for us before class. He'd been around for a good while, so I have to assume everyone was cool with it and didn't report him for terrorizing the seven seas or whatever.

Personally I think there's an obvious difference between piracy and stealing a piece of physical merchandise from a store. The latter deprives the owner of a saleable item.

It's kind of wild to fly off the handle about someone "admitting to a crime" when the effect of said crime is not adding a pittance to the overflowing coffers of a megacorporation. Now, pirating the work of individual content creators who are trying to make a living with their passion? Different story.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Studies and simple logic say/show that someone exposed to something for 'free' is far more likely to actually pay money for that thing in the future. So no, eliminating piracy would probably be a net negative for most industries. Most publishers happily trade a little margin for better word of mouth. That's essentially what marketing is to begin with anyways.

Steam has been around how long and we still have people not understanding the core tenets: some pirates are not and never will be your paying customers AND that piracy is largely a service problem for the ones that want to support you.
Anecdotal but I'm pretty sure a large part of the reason I try to pay full price for games nowadays is because of all the piracy I used to do when I was younger.
Picturing a world where we collectively cared about class, race, bigotry, and the environment like we do the copyright privileges of megacorporations.

It's a stark difference.
Imagine!

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My experience with this is:

1. Yes, you overreacted like crazy OP. Dislike him if you want, but your oft quoted line is silly, as is expecting like his bosses to care, unless you work at Square Enix. 90 percent of the people that heard your conversation probably didn't understand any of it anyway.

2. Fairly normal to hear people talk about it, maybe less so in the middle of a work meeting, granted. Most people don't dislike it due to a moral standing. They dislike it because they think it is complicated or will get them viruses.

3. That being said, I've found people WAY over exaggerate this stuff too. They like to be the hookup, they know the site where you can get free 4k streams of the movie that releases in theatres tomorrow. I actually witnessed this the other night, an employee at work and a regular customer, the employee had some site they liked to use and the customer kept insisting they use some other site like they had the inside scoop.

4. I don't believe your friend actually pirated DQXI, ain't nobody calling that game buggy. Some people like to pretend they've done and experienced shit they haven't to be part of the conversation.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't you know people who smoke weed? Or do other substances that are illegal?

EDIT: Also, what was that meme from years ago? Something along the lines of, "Congratulations, your house is about to get raided by the cops!"?

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that OP should go to HR, but OP should be smart. HR probably isn't a Gamer, so OP should prepare a presentation about how Dragon Quest has struggled to get a foothold in the West, and how admitting to a crime that reduces sales for the series in the West could possibly lead to future spinoff not being translated.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
You should have made a citizen's arrest OP. Such a heinous crime can't go unpunished.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Piracy is very casual these days. People don't take seriously because the consequences for it are arguably not that severe considering the laws that protect against it. Usually most people who pirate just get an angry letter from ISP.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I agree that OP should go to HR, but OP should be smart. HR probably isn't a Gamer, so OP should prepare a presentation about how Dragon Quest has struggled to get a foothold in the West, and how admitting to a crime that reduces sales for the series in the West could possibly lead to future spinoff not being translated.
"Before we begin, allow me to show you just how far video games have come..."

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I don't think it was this. I am pretty sure it was pre-Twitter. Maybe even pre-YouTube. A video from Something Awful maybe? I just remember it contained a guy angry over something ranting and saying, "congratulations, your house is about to get raided by the cops!" at some point in the video. It became a meme I think for the time.