• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
tenor.gif

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
OP is right. Next time I go to a bar I'm going to demand that they show me they have a license to broadcast this NBA game or I'm turning them in to the FBI.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Dragon Quest X. Looks cool right? I bet our coworker would love to STEAL it and try it out, breaking the law. But guess what? It never came out here because of people like him.
"This..."

*hits projection screen with telescopic pointer*

"... is Red Dead Redemption 2. And this..."

"... is Custer's Revenge. Now, the Atari had very little anti-piracy technology..."

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"This..."

"... is Red Dead Redemption 2. And this..."

"... is Custer's Revenge. Now, the Atari had very little anti-piracy technology..."
" In conclusion, the internet is a land of contrasts"

RedBlue

Oct 27, 2017
Queens, NY
Ive had police admit to watching pirated movies on hacked firesticks. The thoughts that ran through my head were "isnt that illegal?" Ive had a number of people admit to pirating stuff in the past or admit to using the firestick recently.

ive also had a friend help get a bootleg mall kiosk shut down because they were selling N64 contollers loaded with mario 64 and some other non-system specific games on it, like sonic the hedgehog and stuff like that. He saw it and flat out told them to their face that it was illegal. Kiosk wasnt there next time we went in.

last week, took my daughter to her clasmate's bday party. As soon as we walk in, the little girl is screaming "we're going to watch Frozen 2!!" When we got home from the party, my daughter asked how they could have frozen 2 when it just came out. We had to explain the concept of bootlegs and pirating stuff. They never even put off frozen 2 though.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ive had police admit to watching pirated movies on hacked firesticks. The thoughts that ran through my head were "isnt that illegal?" Ive had a number of people admit to pirating stuff in the past or admit to using the firestick recently.

ive also had a friend help get a bootleg mall kiosk shut down because they were selling N64 contollers loaded with mario 64 and some other non-system specific games on it, like sonic the hedgehog and stuff like that. He saw it and flat out told them to their face that it was illegal. Kiosk wasnt there next time we went in.
Narc.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
OP, you better go in to work tommorow and play it off like you were just fucking around. Or are you just that kinda awkward in real life?

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
"dude check out this song on youtube!"

"did....did you just admit to a crime!?"

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
when Napster was a thing every single person I knew that had a computer with internet was excited about it and using it as their main source for music

Youtube which is a huge money maker for google is full of pirated stuff and guides to more piracy

but I understand why it would be against the rules here, imagine if it was allowed, people would start sharing links non stop.

OP
OP
Poltergust

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
It's hard to tell among all the jokes, but it seems that the general thing that people are getting out of this thread is that I dislike my coworker or think that I thought what he did was so bad that I'd report him for it or something.

Like, that's the exact opposite of why I reacted the way I did. I didn't want him to get in any trouble. The guy was in clear earshot of a bunch of no-nonsense higher-ups when he said he pirated the game, and I blurted out what I did because of how surprised I was to see him talk about that so nonchalantly in front of them. Like, if they were not in the room then I wouldn't have thought anything of it.

I understand that what I did say was counterproductive, but not everything people say comes from rational thought. I was just going off my emotions there.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I haven't waded through all the pages but I thought for sure people would be more anti pirating on this site.

Yeah almost everyone has pirated stuff and it's not unusual to talk about it at work even with the boss there. I mean if you admit it at work probably don't say HOW much you pirate if it's a ton but it's like Napster back in the day with cds. People felt like they got ripped off for so long in the CD cost that they didn't mind stealing music

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to tell among all the jokes, but it seems that the general thing that people are getting out of this thread is that I dislike my coworker or think that I thought what he did was so bad that I'd report him for it or something.

Like, that's the exact opposite of why I reacted the way I did. I didn't want him to get in any trouble. The guy was in clear earshot of a bunch of no-nonsense higher-ups when he said he pirated the game, and I blurted out what I did because of how surprised I was to see him talk about that so nonchalantly in front of them. Like, if they were not in the room then I wouldn't have thought anything of it.

I understand that what I did say was counterproductive, but not everything people say comes from rational thought. I was just going off my emotions there.

You didn't want to get him in trouble so you specifically blurted out the most awkward and forced thing imaginable in an attempt to... save him? Your immediate emotion was to narc on him like a child would? So weird.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
And I was so flabbergasted. I literally said out loud "Dude, did you just admit to a crime?" This was at work, with everyone in the room clearly hearing him, including his superiors.

You didn't call the FBI on him? You're part of the problem... I bet management in the room was super impressed with you though. Still a win!

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
The only unusual part of this to me is that people still pirate new games. I figured it was all movies and TV these days.

OP
OP
Poltergust

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
You didn't want to get him in trouble so you specifically blurted out the most awkward and forced thing imaginable in an attempt to... save him? Your immediate emotion was to narc on him like a child would? So weird.
It wasn't an attempt at anything. It was just a reaction akin to "why would you say that in front of these people unprompted?".

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't an attempt at anything. It was just a reaction akin to "why would you say that in front of these people unprompted?".
You're going to have to appreciate that your coworker might be pretty pissed at this though

From his perspective you just accused him of being a criminal in front of your bosses. Don't be surprised if you find other colleagues side eyeing you for a bit

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I don't think it was this. I am pretty sure it was pre-Twitter. Maybe even pre-YouTube. A video from Something Awful maybe? I just remember it contained a guy angry over something ranting and saying, "congratulations, your house is about to get raided by the cops!" at some point in the video. It became a meme I think for the time.
Backtrace?

OP
OP
Poltergust

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Really not trying to make fun of you like others here, but what did you expect to happen?
Like because he said that in front of those people unprompted i mean
I dunno. I said it in a split second without thinking it through.

I guess subconsciously I try to not let these people find reasons to let me go, so to see someone openly defy that threw me for a loop.

And yes, I see the irony in the above statement.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017

last week, took my daughter to her clasmate's bday party. As soon as we walk in, the little girl is screaming "we're going to watch Frozen 2!!" When we got home from the party, my daughter asked how they could have frozen 2 when it just came out. We had to explain the concept of bootlegs and pirating stuff. They never even put off frozen 2 though.
I feel sorry for the children if their first exposure to Frozen 2 is a crappy bootleg "HD" CAM, although I think your last sentence meant they failed to even put it on. CAMs are the absolute worst, though, and ruin the movie experience. Can barely see anything and the sound is often mistimed/poor. If you are going to pirate crap, at least wait until a copy comes out where you can actually tell what is going on fully ;p.

Oct 29, 2017
I remember when I first got my PS1 my uncle got me like 50 games bootlegged from India, it was fucking great. Played so many games I otherwise wouldn't have

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People like me also always get the manga chapters before official release at the same time translated. Lol

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This has been an incredible thread, my only input is that I used to pirate the shit out of everything age 14-25 but it was mainly through "private" forums that eventually went belly up and I never fucked with torrents so I stopped once my last good site went down. Ever since I either pony up the money or just go with not seeing the TV show or movie, music I just subscribe to Apple Music.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
I remember when I first got my PS1 my uncle got me like 50 games bootlegged from India, it was fucking great. Played so many games I otherwise wouldn't have

at least where I live the main reason why the PS1 was successful was exactly this, even kids that preferred nintendo games would go for the PS1 because games were so cheap, I had an N64 (and no games, had to rent), but pretty much all other kids that had a newer console had a PS1 and tons of pirated games

morningbus

Oct 31, 2017
I can't be the only one that read "did you just admit to a crime" with the exact same intonation as "but I poop from there!

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking lmao

Trust me, your bosses don't care, and you probably made it worse for the coworker if anything

Therion

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that your post made me picture you as Tim Robinson tells me that you were overreacting.