• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Climaxan

Oct 27, 2017
NC-USA
This is one of the most intense Era ratios I've ever witnessed lol.

It could be worse OP, you could've posted the email confirmation to your high level security clearance job interview.

OP
OP
Poltergust

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
This is one of the most intense Era ratios I've ever witnessed lol.

It could be worse OP, you could've posted the email confirmation to your high level security clearance job interview.
It feels weird to be on the receiving end of this, I must admit. I'm such an inoffensive poster otherwise. I've probably gotten more quotes in this thread alone than in my entire time in ERA, and while I'm not super active, I'm not a lurker either.

But it's fine, the thread gave me some good laughs.

Aphexian

Oct 26, 2017
I was at a work meeting about 50 minutes ago, and during the lead up into it we were all talking about how our Thanksgiving break went. We talked about traveling and activities, and I brought up how I basically spent the entire break playing DQXI on the Switch.

Then, one of my co-workers said "Oh, that game? Yeah, I pirated it last year, but it was so buggy that I didn't get far."

And I was so flabbergasted. I literally said out loud "Dude, did you just admit to a crime?" This was at work, with everyone in the room clearly hearing him, including his superiors.

And he then just brushed it off like it was no big deal. I simply couldn't believe how brazen that was.

I could understand opening up about this sort of stuff among friends, but at work? Honestly, I doubt he'd be reprimanded in any way, but good lord.

I'm not overreacting here, am I?

You committed a social crime by putting your co-worker on blast like that in front of everyone. Like, don't do that if his bosses are there, they could use that and build a case to fire him for "issues with personal integrity"

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Sheesh, you guys are making it sound like piracy was some foreign concept to me or something.

I'm just saying that talking about in front of the people who allow you to keep your job (especially considering what kind of company it is and where said higher-ups have worked previously) is probably playing with fire a bit.
Most employers could give two shits about what you do off the clock, so long as it doesn't affect them at all.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
4LuclAX.jpg

timesolo

Apr 5, 2019
Texas
The know-how required to pirate switch games is some next level piracy.

Also, that episode in IASIP - Thunder Gun 4: Maximum Cool

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
OP, are you slightly socially awkward or just a really conservative straight laced person? Because what you did isnt really normal and posting a thread for confirmation of your unusual behavior isnt really normal either. ...

Depths

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like some weird anti-piracy commercial from the early 2000's.

"Dude! Did you just admit to a crime?!"

*Law & Order sound*

You probably looked worse in front of your co-workers than the pirater did.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I bet he jaywalks too, we need to throw him in a cell next to The Joker.

T0M

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 13, 2019
I wouldn't stress over it. Everyone in my family has those dumb Kodi sticks.

A lot of people pirate, but the majority don't because it's not convenient to do so. People are willing to pay a lot for added convenience.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
can't be mad, most people i know are super broke
HjPtYyP.gif

lets be honest, most people in this thread pirate but will never admit it

Oct 31, 2017
I used to be like OP.

Like, I would have insane trouble being discreet.

One time my brother and I went to a store

He noted that he saw someone he wanted to avoid

Anyways, I'm talking to him as we're walking around the store

I see him gesturing me to "shhh"

And instead of being quiet, I ask "OH, AM I TALKING TOO MUCH? OR IS THAT GUY YOU'RE AVOIDING NEAR US?"

kingkitty

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I once tried to watch an illegal NBA stream. And now I'm snorting cocaine in a bathroom stall. Piracy, not even once.

supra

Oct 30, 2017
back in the day people exchanged VHS tapes like it was the stock market, people forget this

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
I dunno. I said it in a split second without thinking it through.

I guess subconsciously I try to not let these people find reasons to let me go, so to see someone openly defy that threw me for a loop.

And yes, I see the irony in the above statement.
Ah, yeah can't help split second thoughts coming out, I've been there

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You did the right thing OP. Criminals roam free these days.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think it was this. I am pretty sure it was pre-Twitter. Maybe even pre-YouTube. A video from Something Awful maybe? I just remember it contained a guy angry over something ranting and saying, "congratulations, your house is about to get raided by the cops!" at some point in the video. It became a meme I think for the time.
"You done goofed! Because I backtraced you! You've been reported to the cyber police! Consequences will never be the same!"

Guy ended up being arrested for child abuse and the daughter got cyber bullied even more.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I once tried to watch an illegal NBA stream. And now I'm snorting cocaine in a bathroom stall. Piracy, not even once.
One time I looked over the shoulder of someone who was watching a Youtube Red show on their phone. Next thing I know, I'm being shoved into a van and driven to a CIA black site, where I was forced to explain what kind of weirdo has absolutely no nudes on their iCloud photo stream. What a day!

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
it's alright to think it isn't ok, but you should be more focused on the sites that distribute these things than people who might not have unlimited disposable income taking advantage of them. It's totally normal. Don't be a narc.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
People have been pirating stuff on the Internet and talking about it freely since the Internet was a thing. Warez channels on IRC, Napster, Kazaa etc etc.
Excuse me, but I only used Kazaa for backing up cars and small domesticated animals that I legally purchased.

Yes, I've bought lots of stuff over the years that "fell off the back of a van" and would routinely buy pirated dvds/PS2 games from a police officer back in the day.
Those days are gone now though, easier just to pay for the actual product.
Dude I hope you did the moral thing and reported that police officer's activities to that police officer.

Last edited:

PatriotSaro

Banned
Nov 8, 2019
My coworkers talk about pirating stuff all the time. Hell on Sundays half of us are streaming pirate streams of NFL games while working.