• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
OP is either sheltered or a narc. People talk all the time about pirating stuff, especially when I was in college. People want to watch, listen, and play things with convenience, and if their financial situation or the ways to get said product are inconvenient, they're going to pirate. And piracy is so unenforced by local authorities, that people talk about it in the open.

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
OP is either sheltered or a narc. People talk all the time about pirating stuff, especially when I was in college. People want to watch, listen, and play things with convenience, and if their financial situation or the ways to get said product are inconvenient, they're going to pirate. And piracy is so unenforced by local authorities, that people talk about it in the open.
In many regions, a large portion of the latest stuff just isn't available legally at all. Piracy is then the only way to watch the mandalorian for example.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I had a boss talk about pirating movies years ago. It... was odd to hear it from them lol

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
What I do find odd are the people that brag about pirating. Like when someone mentions they watched something on hbo theyll go out of their way to talk about how they only torrent and make it sound like only chumps pay for hbo.

RedBlue

Oct 27, 2017
Queens, NY
I feel sorry for the children if their first exposure to Frozen 2 is a crappy bootleg "HD" CAM, although I think your last sentence meant they failed to even put it on. CAMs are the absolute worst, though, and ruin the movie experience. Can barely see anything and the sound is often mistimed/poor. If you are going to pirate crap, at least wait until a copy comes out where you can actually tell what is going on fully ;p.

i was curious about the quality of what they were going to put on and how they were going to do it. Luckily we had seen it already, so i wasnt worried about ruining it for my daughter.

Nov 8, 2017
I was brought up in a family where casual piracy of C64 and Amiga games was completely normal, to the extent that I had no idea we were even doing anything wrong until my mum told me off because I'd wrote something about doing it in my school work.

These days it seems to be less about the games and more about movies/TV shows. Most people seem to have Netflix, and only pirate things that are harder to find, but I know at least one person who torrents everything because he complains that he can't buy any content to keep and play on his Kodi box, and he has no interest in subscription/streaming services. He claims he'd pay for stuff if the industry would sell it to him in a format that worked on Kodi and he could keep. No idea if he's just using that as an excuse though.

PunishedOkabe

From a certain point of view, this isn't a copy
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Wow, can't believe I'm watching The Mandalorian footage when my country doesn't have Disney Plus.

Dude, did I just admit to a crime?

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
I only watch Twitch TV on my fire stick, Officer.

Kodi? Never heard of em.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Used to work in IT for the police.

Spoiler alert: Everyone does it. E.V.E.R.Y.O.N.E. Even there. Plex servers being opened up for colleagues with hefty 'legitimate' libraries...

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
I was brought up in a family where casual piracy of C64 and Amiga games was completely normal, to the extent that I had no idea we were even doing anything wrong until my mum told me off because I'd wrote something about doing it in my school work.

These days it seems to be less about the games and more about movies/TV shows. Most people seem to have Netflix, and only pirate things that are harder to find, but I know at least one person who torrents everything because he complains that he can't buy any content to keep and play on his Kodi box, and he has no interest in subscription/streaming services. He claims he'd pay for stuff if the industry would sell it to him in a format that worked on Kodi and he could keep. No idea if he's just using that as an excuse though.

Games on cassette & double-tape decks.

A match made in heaven

Nov 8, 2017
Its only a crime if you admit it on this forum. Don't you get banned for admitting to downloading?
So is admitting to piracy on this forum a bannable offense or not?
It's weird how trigger-happy the mods are on piracy discussions. I once got a 3 day ban for "Advocating piracy", only for the ban to be lifted an hour later because it turned out the mods fucked up and I didn't actually advocate piracy. I even got a PM from the mod telling me this:
Hello MartinB105,

You were briefly banned for three days for advocating piracy. This was a misunderstanding and your ban has been lifted. Apologies for any inconvenience we caused you!

Take care,

The thing I find most weird about this policy is that, although I can't cite specific examples right now, I'm sure I've seen people admit far worse things that are illegal and not get banned. For example, stories in which the poster was DUI or speeding. That's the kind of shit that can kill someone, and yet admitting it is perfectly A-okay, but if you ever admit to downloading a NES ROM, you're gone for three days.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Legit wonder how OP would react if he was at the barber shop when the bootleg DVD man came in.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Next thread, OP is going to report people who rip off those "do not remove" tags from sofa cushions

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's weird how trigger-happy the mods are on piracy discussions. I once got a 3 day ban for "Advocating piracy", only for the ban to be lifted an hour later because it turned out the mods fucked up and I didn't actually advocate piracy. I even got a PM from the mod telling me this:

The thing I find most weird about this policy is that, although I can't cite specific examples right now, I'm sure I've seen people admit far worse things that are illegal and not get banned. For example, stories in which the poster was DUI or speeding. That's the kind of shit that can kill someone, and yet admitting it is perfectly A-okay, but if you ever admit to downloading a NES ROM, you're gone for three days.
And you only get banned if you admit pirating here, you can run ROM site and they will not do anything lol

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel sorry for the children if their first exposure to Frozen 2 is a crappy bootleg "HD" CAM, although I think your last sentence meant they failed to even put it on. CAMs are the absolute worst, though, and ruin the movie experience. Can barely see anything and the sound is often mistimed/poor. If you are going to pirate crap, at least wait until a copy comes out where you can actually tell what is going on fully ;p.
A lot of my first movie experience were cam.

VCD piracy was at a time, so bad that it was sold everywhere here.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Used to work in IT for the police.

Spoiler alert: Everyone does it. E.V.E.R.Y.O.N.E. Even there. Plex servers being opened up for colleagues with hefty 'legitimate' libraries...

dude..i used to serve as a military police here in singapore and we watched animes during the weekend for our breaks. Yes, all the animes with sub were .avi files :)

mod, don't ban me..it's been more than a decade.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some people just love to pirate stuff. Plenty of folks over here have themselves all set up with Android boxes that provide access to all channels worldwide, all sports events, latest movie rips etc. They download ebook PDFs, they rip games off, they use dodgy Spotify accounts where you pay once for unlimited lifetime use etc etc and they openly talk about it all the time, discussing the latest news on which service has been blocked or what VPN to use. IDGAF up to the point at which they find out you pay for stuff and they try and mock you for not knowing how to get stuff for free. I know how to do it motherfucker, I just choose not to. This seems genuinely baffling to them. They just can't understand it.

Personally, I think you should pay for stuff if you can afford it but if you're skint and you wouldn't be able to buy this stuff otherwise, then go for it. Or if there is no way to get something legally.

Apart from books. No-one should be ripping books off. They cost fuck-all, provide hours of entertainment and the author isn't getting rich apart from a select few.

Deleted member 8674

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, the people I've encountered don't understand the concept. They just say "I'll download it from the internet" so to them the concept is lost, as long as it's on the "internet" then it's legal. So to be honest I don't have the time or energy to educate the public and it's not my job.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On Era, piracy is very hush hush.

In the real world people don't give a shit. Hell, in my line of work practically everyone openly pirates.

Royce

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Eh, I'm kinda with OP here. The fact that everyone does it doesn't necessarily mean it's a great topic to bring up in a professional environment. Everyone also shits daily but do I want to hear my co-workers boast about the size of their morning poop? Do whatever you want in your spare time but colleagues are not your besties to share everything with.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
OP's story reminds me of when I was at a mall about 20 years ago with a friend and some of his friends that I didn't really know. We come across this guy selling N64 controller-shaped Famiclones from a stall. One of these dudes suddenly blurts out "These consoles are illegal! You're stealing from Nintendo!" at the top of his high-pitched voice. I don't know whether he thought the guy would run off or if a mob would form to tear the stall apart, but there was just this awful silence.

We all walk/run away pretty embarrassed and this kid follows and he's absolutely shaking with rage. He can't shut up about the guy selling these Famiclones. "He's destroying the industry! We need to do something!" Next thing he's calling the police who basically laughed at him down the phone and told him to stop wasting their time. He then called Nintendo who said they didn't really have anyone who could help him and that maybe he could write a letter with the details so they could investigate.

I didn't hang out with him again.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm just saying that talking about in front of the people who allow you to keep your job (especially considering what kind of company it is and where said higher-ups have worked previously) is probably playing with fire a bit.

lolol, how? Have you ever heard of anyone getting fired, or even given a talking to because they pirated something in their own time???
Most of the time management doesn't even understand what you're talking about anyway.

I work in software development, and we freely talk about emulators and roms, and i know no-one paid to stream game of thrones...

I'd probably a weirder look from my boss if I explained how much money actually I spend on videogames :O

Last edited:

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017

I'd love to know what's going ton in the mod topic about this thread.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Everyone here obvs paid the full price for photoshop back in the day,just so they could resize and rotate.

burnsy

Banned
May 31, 2018
Last time I commented on this topic I copped a ban. Reset era can't handle the truth!

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I know no one who hasn't pirated before.
It has become less popular with Netflix but I reckon it will get more popular again considering the fragmentation of streaming and the unavailability by certain products in non US areas (hello disney).

Nov 8, 2017
You don't have to, you can use the same username/avatar from the one in your ROM site and be obviously the same person
Isn't that the rule that nothing counts here if it happens elsewhere? As far as I'm aware, that rule applies to everything a user does outside of this site, not just piracy.

It's not being a pirate that gets you banned here, it's admitting to it or advocating it (but admitting to speeding, DUI, or other dangerous things is perfectly fine).

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
I dunno. I said it in a split second without thinking it through.

I guess subconsciously I try to not let these people find reasons to let me go, so to see someone openly defy that threw me for a loop.

And yes, I see the irony in the above statement.
Dude, no one was openly defying crap. This whole fixation on the fact that there were no-nonsense, formerly military guys around is such a weird excuse. These are the kind of bosses I've exchanged shit with that I downloaded from the internet at work. These are people too. If you are worrying about not being let go, just focus on doing your job well and stop caring about the harmless stuff other people say or do. Be weird and act weird and unfriendly towards your colleagues within earshot of your bosses and you'll see yourself increasingly excluded in this kind of environment.

You made a silly social blunder, don't make excuses for it and just let it go already. You are making this a bigger thing that it has to be.