• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Alright but wait why is era defending/normalizing piracy so much in this thread

You'd think with stuff like an artist's struggles to earn money from their labor alone, the lack of value afforded towards their labor from both companies and the public, and their general rights constantly being a topic on era whenever it comes up, there'd be at least a smidget of dignity in here, but instead it's a "everyone pirates bro"-fest celebration, and semantic free-for-all? I know the reaction itself was a meme but come on now
If you think even a small amount of what you pay for media goes to the 'artist' and not the corporations I've got some terrible news for you

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I was at a work meeting about 50 minutes ago, and during the lead up into it we were all talking about how our Thanksgiving break went. We talked about traveling and activities, and I brought up how I basically spent the entire break playing DQXI on the Switch.

Then, one of my co-workers said "Oh, that game? Yeah, I pirated it last year, but it was so buggy that I didn't get far."

And I was so flabbergasted. I literally said out loud "Dude, did you just admit to a crime?" This was at work, with everyone in the room clearly hearing him, including his superiors.

And he then just brushed it off like it was no big deal. I simply couldn't believe how brazen that was.

I could understand opening up about this sort of stuff among friends, but at work? Honestly, I doubt he'd be reprimanded in any way, but good lord.

I'm not overreacting here, am I?
People admit to thinks that actually results in deaths like it's a casual thing.

Like drink driving.

Heck I've seen multiple people openly boast about how drunk they were and got into their cars. It still happens now.

That's the shit that should be called out immediately, yet hardly anyone cares.

Getting the arse about a victimless crime* is literally clutching your pearls, sorry.

*Don't start about poor Devs, it means there's nobody who was actively harmed, like the above example which causes actual harm to people who get hit by drunk drivers.

Scarlet Death

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Potential bad faith comment: Curious if you're just virtue signaling because devs post here and/or the rules on talking about piracy.
Potential good faith comment: Possibly due to the attitude towards piracy here, it would allow for a perspective that views piracy in such a way as OP.

Either way, as others have stated. It's normal. Individuals rarely experience negative consequences for piracy. big piracy operations, yeah. It's illegal, sure, but as I've found pirates usually find a way to justify it. "I just want to see how bad it is." or "I don't want to financially support this unethical company." "I don't make enough money to buy games on the regular, but games are the one of the few sources of enjoyment I have in my life so here we are." I've only ever pirated games on my PSP because I had a friend hack it. I pirated imports, but mostly used it for Sega CD and neogeo pocket color on the go.It's illegal, but I'll still admit to it because my internal set of ethics deems my ability to enjoy myself is more important than Play-Asia's exorbitant prices. I make $197 a month in state cash assistance, and even with that small sum I don't pirate games.

"If you can't afford a game then just accept you can't play it." I mean ok, but I can't afford much of anything in the first place so I should just do nothing?

Admitting to piracy is not a good look, no, but it's a thing people do and sometimes it will come up in conversations. Not everyone has the same access or privilege to experience capitalism the same way everyone else does. I rarely doubt you'll just hear someone say "Oh I could afford it, I just enjoy stealing." It's not my place to question someone else taking their self-care and edification into their own hands. And it's not my place to decide whose life is more important: the pirates' enjoyment or the negative consequences for the developers. It's either spend money I don't have, negatively impacting my life. Or refusing a sale from someone who is allowed to be employed and allowed to make much more money than what I make.

Poverty and disability make it hard to support myself, much less my favorite creators. If I want to tell someone I pirated a game, movie, or tv show I won't feel bad at all for taking the necessary steps I took to find something fun and bring enjoyment to my life in some vain attempt at self-care.

I'm older these days, and don't really feel the need to pirate anything anymore. I went the FFXIV route so I'll always have something to keep me occupied until the companies/games I do want to support go on sale. If someone brought it up in front of me, it would be fine.

Nov 8, 2017

You'd think with stuff like an artist's struggles to earn money from their labor alone, the lack of value afforded towards their labor from both companies and the public, and their general rights constantly being a topic on era whenever it comes up, there'd be at least a smidget of dignity in here, but instead it's a "everyone pirates bro"-fest celebration, and semantic free-for-all? I know the reaction itself was a meme but come on now
But it would be weird and dishonest if we all just pretended that it doesn't happen?

Bastos

Oct 25, 2017

It is normal, though.

People talk about it all the time. Just not in here.

Just to give you an example, Disney+ isn't even available in Brazil, yet it's the only thing my friends talk about at the moment.

No one even blinks before downloading an episode, it's REALLY normal here.

Kazaam

Oct 26, 2017
London

You'd be surprised how much a small artist would actually be helped by "piracy". As for the major pirated media, that's usually from under the clutches of huge conglomerates. Having "an artist's struggle to earn money from their labour" as well as "Disney+" in the same context is ridiculous.

Mar 3, 2019
Maybe for music but not for indie games that take 3 years to make. Exposure doesn't mean anything when everyone pirates your game and you have to stop game development from lack of money.

Alec

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I have always believed that piracy doesn't detract from sales in any meaningful way. Those people were never going to buy it anyway. GOG seems to feel the same?

Around 20 years ago (I was 12 and had no job), I pirated everything. Once I got a job at 16, I started buying everything. I get dopamine from getting a new item in my Steam library (seems unhealthy as I type it out...). Haven't pirated anything in a very long time, but I try not to judge in general.